Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Moola posted:

Hey guys I need help!

Installing a new MSI Armor GTX 1070; I've plugged the 8 pin power connector into the socket on the card, and then the other end which is a 6 pin and a 2 pin connector into the PSU (modular PSU)

I'm getting a signal and the machine boots into windows fine, proper resolution etc, but the fans aren't spinning!

I'm worried I've connected something wrong, but surely I just wouldnt get a signal/beeping. Does this card only spin the fans under load?

Plase help!!!

Yeah, that's how some MSI cards do. Check the manual/packaging or maybe fire up a game.

Edit: From their website:

quote:

First introduced in 2008 by MSI, ZeroFrozr technology has made its mark and is now the industry standard among graphics cards. It eliminates fan noise by stopping the fans in low-load situations. This means you can focus on gaming without the noise of spinning fans.
In fact, my MSI card had a plastic sheet over the fans that you had to remove before you installed them warning you about this very thing.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Modern GTX cards don't spin up until there they reach above 50-60C, what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Does anybody have experience with using RAM warranties when a DIMM will boot but not pass memtest86? Is this enough of a reason to RMA RAM without the manufacturer complaining?

bustercasey
Apr 9, 2012
Gary’s Answer
So I'm trying to figure out a good way to waste some money and I was reading about the 5820k out performing my cpu by double. I'm curious if I should bother spending the money to upgrade to an x99 build from my current setup, or if anyone has a suggestion of where to sink some money in my build that would benefit my gaming and video editing experience.
Heres my build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($235.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Sandisk Ultra 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($95.92 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K6000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($459.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1136.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-15 15:21 EDT-0400

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, that's how some MSI cards do. Check the manual/packaging or maybe fire up a game.

Edit: From their website:

In fact, my MSI card had a plastic sheet over the fans that you had to remove before you installed them warning you about this very thing.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Modern GTX cards don't spin up until there they reach above 50-60C, what you're experiencing is perfectly normal.

Thanks guys I'm not used to new cards :3:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Since the core only uses like 4W or something when idling on the desktop, it has no problem running passively with the giant heatsink that it needs under load. It's mostly a function of higher-end GPUs getting better idle efficiency and power efficiency in general, I believe.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Hah, I freaked the hell out the first time I noticed the fans weren't spinning. Then I saw the GPU was sitting at 40C and figured out what was going on.

Right of passage.

New set of questions. I was here last week asking about cooling for 2500k. Turns out I was sitting at 3.8ghz and was able to push it to 4.4ghz stable. Finding 15-20% more performance in the couch cushions was some good poo poo, but I'm still running the hell out of the CPU, specifically when I'm streaming. Playing games at 1080p and streaming at 720p (Overwatch, Witcher 3, modern stuff, not concerned about slower paced games) I'm still right on the brink.

Questions are twofold - Does this sound correct, that I actually am maxing out the cpu this way and I shouldn't be looking for other ways to fudge more performance out of it or search for hidden processes munching clock cycles, and if my concern is playing and streaming, is it time to upgrade?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Ok, I made a couple tweaks on things like brands, hoping to avoid pitfalls. Swapped out for a smaller disc since I don't see needing more than 1TB. I am about ready to pull the trigger on this - am I missing anything obvious? Also, will I need to grab any particular equipment (e.g. thermal paste) to go with this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($35.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($63.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($269.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1500 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $783.21
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-15 17:54 EDT-0400

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Zero The Hero posted:

I just installed the Gaming M7 and I love it. I don't know that they're actually comparable, but there it is.

Judging from newegg reviews, motherboard quality as a whole has dropped. Every manufacturer is dealing with a higher rate of failure than I would like. MSI seems to slightly edge out ASUS and have a strong history. ASUS has been my historical favorite, but I don't regret my decision to go with MSI in the least.

If you don't mind me asking, how is the Killer ethernet? Is it as bad as everyone says it is? Do the drivers still cause a memory leak? How about the Nahimic audio software?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Badfinger posted:

Hah, I freaked the hell out the first time I noticed the fans weren't spinning. Then I saw the GPU was sitting at 40C and figured out what was going on.

Right of passage.

New set of questions. I was here last week asking about cooling for 2500k. Turns out I was sitting at 3.8ghz and was able to push it to 4.4ghz stable. Finding 15-20% more performance in the couch cushions was some good poo poo, but I'm still running the hell out of the CPU, specifically when I'm streaming. Playing games at 1080p and streaming at 720p (Overwatch, Witcher 3, modern stuff, not concerned about slower paced games) I'm still right on the brink.

Questions are twofold - Does this sound correct, that I actually am maxing out the cpu this way and I shouldn't be looking for other ways to fudge more performance out of it or search for hidden processes munching clock cycles, and if my concern is playing and streaming, is it time to upgrade?

If you want a good playing and CPU-encoding streaming experience, you're looking at 6 or more core Intel CPUs, which realistically means the i7-5820k. You could also look at some type of hardware encoding, whether Intel Quicksync, Nvidia NVENC, or AMD VCE, all of which are supported by the new OBS.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is better performance wise to run memory with pairs of dimms to take advantage of the dual memory channels, iirc

1x8GB will work but will not be as fast as 2x4GB

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

priznat posted:

It is better performance wise to run memory with pairs of dimms to take advantage of the dual memory channels, iirc

1x8GB will work but will not be as fast as 2x4GB

I considered that, but everything I can find online suggests that the performance different is negligible and only really shows up in benchmarks. Balanced against the ease of upgrading Dead Goon mentioned, it seems like 1x8 is the way to go for now.

Huh, looks like it is currently impossible to find an rx 480 in stock anywhere. I thought it was released already?

Enigma fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 16, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Enigma posted:

I considered that, but everything I can find online suggests that the performance different is negligible and only really shows up in benchmarks. Balanced against the ease of upgrading Dead Goon mentioned, it seems like 1x8 is the way to go for now.

Huh, looks like it is currently impossible to find an rx 480 in stock anywhere. I thought it was released already?
It's released, but supplies aren't quite keeping up with demand. You also want to wait for the custom models come out anyways.

edit: On a quick Google search, it looks like mid-August is when you should expect custom boards to be available. Also, the ASUS model should be pretty sweet, but might require 2 PCI slots?

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 16, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Enigma posted:

On skylake it's worth it. That thing scales really well with extra bandwidth.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

xthetenth posted:

On skylake it's worth it. That thing scales really well with extra bandwidth.

Looking specifically for skylake seems to support that. Is there any benefit in that build for 2x8 or is that overkill?

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 533MHz (5-7-7-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. EP45-UD3P (Socket 775)
Graphics
VA2406M-LED (1920x1080@60Hz)
1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (EVGA)

I've had this sucker for about 7-8 years, and in that time only upgraded the graphics card after the old one went to purple screen Valhalla. It's served me very well in that time, but it seems it might be unable to run Doom, Witcher 3, etc.

Budget is pretty tight, so I'd like to minimize the amount of upgrading I'd need to do. What's the weakest link to attack to get my PC more up to modern gaming specs? I figure I probably need to get a quad-core CPU at least, but would that require me to get a new mobo?

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

I'm 10 years due for an upgrade and picked these parts out based on the video card which i already own. Are there any glaring flaws with my choices?

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($161.81 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $979.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-15 21:32 EDT-0400

Star Frog fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 16, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Professor Moriarty posted:

CPU
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics

I've had this sucker for about 7-8 years, and in that time only upgraded the graphics card after the old one went to purple screen Valhalla. It's served me very well in that time, but it seems it might be unable to run Doom, Witcher 3, etc.

Budget is pretty tight, so I'd like to minimize the amount of upgrading I'd need to do. What's the weakest link to attack to get my PC more up to modern gaming specs? I figure I probably need to get a quad-core CPU at least, but would that require me to get a new mobo?

Do you have an aftermarket cooler on that E8400 yet? I'd get a cooler and a modern graphics card, depending on budget either a clearance GTX 950 for $100-110 or an RX 480 for ~$200. With a better cooler on it you're willing to look up 2008 articles about overclocking you should be able to get that E8400 to ~3.8GHz or better.

If you can wait a month and have the ~$200 range for an upgrade, the GTX 1060 and RX 470 should be better buys than the 950 or 480, but neither is out yet.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5919

I want this thing so I can make a PC with both the CPU and GPU 100% on exhausting radiators with high positive case pressure. Naturally it's backordered everywhere but it's also $1000 CAD. Can someone please advise if this is a sane purchase vs. the ASUS Strix 1080? I'm pairing it with a 6700K and 32GB RAM, as well as some recycled parts (ASUS Xonar DX, three 1920×1200 monitors).

Right now I have a 2600K at 4GHz paired with a 290X and my exhaust temperature is very warm. CPU under max load is over 70C with a big Noctua, GPU mid 70's to low 80's with an ASUS Direct CU2 card.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 16, 2016

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

CPU
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics

If you're brave and don't mind cutting some plastic out of your CPU socket you might consider putting an LGA771 Xeon in that LGA775 socket. I did it with a couple of MSI boards recently and got 4 cores with 12 MB of cache for $20 + a cheap sticker thing. Read about it here:
http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

If it's your only computer it may not be the best idea. The machines I did worked great but they got upgraded out of an office and were left to me to use/fix/donate as I see fit.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5919

I want this thing so I can make a PC with both the CPU and GPU 100% on exhausting radiators with high positive case pressure. Naturally it's backordered everywhere but it's also $1000 CAD. Can someone please advise if this is a sane purchase vs. the ASUS Strix 1080? I'm pairing it with a 6700K and 32GB RAM, as well as some recycled parts (ASUS Xonar DX, three 1920×1200 monitors).

Right now I have a 2600K at 4GHz paired with a 290X and my exhaust temperature is very warm. CPU under load is over 60C with a big Noctua, GPU mid 70's to low 80's with an ASUS Direct CU2 card.

Nvidia's Pascal based cards are straight up arctic compared to Hawaii, pretty much all of the aftermarket cooler cards see temps that barely break 70C under load, if that. Pascal GPU's are not the kind of cards that need hefty cooling solutions.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Nvidia's Pascal based cards are straight up arctic compared to Hawaii, pretty much all of the aftermarket cooler cards see temps that barely break 70C under load, if that. Pascal GPU's are not the kind of cards that need hefty cooling solutions.
Isn't that even better if I plan to get the Fractal Design Define R5 blackout (no window)? At that point my case temp will be close to ambient. Truthfully my apartment has a high noise floor being downtown and having non-thermostat HVAC so noise isn't really an issue but I don't want something exhausting 70C air into the case that ends up as intake for the Nepton 240M. The GPU either has to be a blower or an exhausting radiator but a blower will affect case pressure with the only upside being I might be able to have it shipped before August.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

CPU
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics

You really would want to get both a new graphics card and a new(used) CPU if you're going to get either in that system. For the graphics card which model would mostly depend on your budget and the requirements of the games you want to play. You shouldn't need a new motherboard, but make sure your PSU can provide enough power.

For the processor, these are the models officially supported by your motherboard. (Support and Downloads > CPU Support List) However, this website indicates that the LGA771 Xeon mod would work too. The Xeons are functionally equivalent to high-end C2Q chips and have much better pricing at this point. There are also socket 775 Xeons (like an X3350) that I imagine would be OK and not need a mod, but there's no guarantee that it would work unless you can find someone else who tried it with your board. They also seem to cost a little more than LGA771 models, though not as much as a normal Core 2 Quad. You can always opt for the normal Core 2 Quad too, they just tend to either be slower or cost more than the Xeons.

For any of these, depending on what cooler you're using you might need a new one if you move up from your current 65W processor to a 80-95+ one. A new cooler could also allow you to overclock if you're not doing that already. It would also be a good idea to move up to 8GB of 800MHz DDR2 if that can fit in the budget.

Coming back to the processor, if you want an easy option I have a Q8200S that was replaced by the X3350 mentioned above but still works great. The S designation means that it's a binned 65W model that would stay cool enough under the stock dual-core cooler, and if you have something better you could probably overclock it a fair bit. I'd be willing to let it go for $15, which is less than what they cost on eBay.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 16, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If I've got a 650-750W Corsair (forget which) is there any reason not to reuse that PSU in a new system? If anything the power draw will be less but it's getting on 5 years old and I've done the Saturday-afternoon-dead-PSU panic run before.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm currently window-shopping since I won't be able to build a new PC until the beginning of September. But will I reap any significant savings on parts by waiting any longer, like for a sale? Newegg does a Thanksgiving sale, right? Also aren't the 1070s supposed to be $379 at some point

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm currently window-shopping since I won't be able to build a new PC until the beginning of September. But will I reap any significant savings on parts by waiting any longer, like for a sale? Newegg does a Thanksgiving sale, right? Also aren't the 1070s supposed to be $379 at some point

There will probably be minor sales around the major holidays, I saved a few bucks buying during their Father's day sales, I want to say about 40 bucks. As for 1070's, don't expect them to be near MSRP anytime soon, Vega won't be here until 2017 so Nvidia's basically got the high end under total lockdown. There's a 400 dollar Gigabyte Windforce 2X GTX 1070 as the cheapest I've seen, a 20 dollar markup isn't bad since it has a decent aftermarket cooler. I wouldn't expect many 1070's to get down to 379.99, outside maybe some like PNY or Zotac selling a plastic blower cooler card around that price at some point.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shumagorath posted:

If I've got a 650-750W Corsair (forget which) is there any reason not to reuse that PSU in a new system? If anything the power draw will be less but it's getting on 5 years old and I've done the Saturday-afternoon-dead-PSU panic run before.

If it's a CX and/or Builder series you want to replace it. If it's a different unit and the warranty is still okay you should be alright for a while longer, but if the warranty is up you should get a new one. The general rule in the thread is 5 years or the warranty length, whichever is longer.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.

Twerk from Home posted:

Does anybody have experience with using RAM warranties when a DIMM will boot but not pass memtest86? Is this enough of a reason to RMA RAM without the manufacturer complaining?

Before you RMA, do a quick check of the memory clock speed and timings in use, maybe voltage too, in case the motherboard has incorrectly autodetected them and set them to something beyond rated specs.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've had to RMA one of the ASRock Z170 Pro 4 motherboards recommended in the OP, and the replacement I got is possibly also faulty. Would an ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming be an okay substitute?

Edit: possibly dumb question: Is an i5 6600 (non-k). Compatible with these motherboards? I'm aware that they're designed to accommodate k variants, but the chip I have is a non-k.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 16, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It will work, but if you don't/can't overclock there's no reason to spend money on a board designed to overclock. Buy a decent quality H-board instead.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

The following is for a separate gaming-focused PC. Any problems? (Also planning on getting a Nvidia 1060 when they release it).

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£210.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£45.52 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£125.75 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£72.98 @ Novatech)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£118.10 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £632.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-16 18:27 BST+0100

Gunder fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 16, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Can someone please comment on the feasibility of overclocking a non-k chip?

I guess the MSI boards can do that (as far as I can tell) but wouldn't you see more people doing that if it was cheaper and as good?

Thoughts?

Was thinking of getting this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...13130902&cm_sp=

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Taima posted:

Can someone please comment on the feasibility of overclocking a non-k chip?

Can't be done any substantial amount. Overclocking is changing the output of a formula:

BCLK*CPU multiplier=CPU clock

K chips allow you to change the multiplier. Changing BCLK affects all kinds of other poo poo like the PCIe bus that isn't supposed to change and will become very unstable within a few percent, so while you can do it it's not really worth anything.

Chipsets used to allow separate locked clocks for stuff like expansion slots so that BCLK would only affect CPU and memory, and since the multiplier was locked on most chips that was the preferred overclocking method prior to Sandy Bridge unless you were a crazy person paying $1000 for an Extreme Edition unlocked chip. Since Sandy Bridge, it's K chips (or the dual-core G3258) or nothing with Intel. The K chips were actually introduced in the generation prior to Sandy Bridge (Lynnfield) but I think they're still BCLK overclockable because the half-generation before that (Nehalem) definitely is.

There was some talk for a bit about the possibility of BCLK overclocking Skylake i3s to 4.5GHz+ because there were some changes that made it more feasible, but Intel has basically killed that possibility through microcode updates and telling its board partners to cut it out.

Twerk from Home posted:

It should be. If you get multiple errors on Memtest using a given stick running within spec then it's shot or you have a radiation source nearby.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 16, 2016

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

Can't be done any substantial amount. Overclocking is changing the output of a formula:

BCLK*CPU multiplier=CPU clock

K chips allow you to change the multiplier. Changing BCLK affects all kinds of other poo poo like the PCIe bus that isn't supposed to change and will become very unstable within a few percent, so while you can do it it's not really worth anything.

Chipsets used to allow separate locked clocks for stuff like expansion slots so that BCLK would only affect CPU and memory and that was the preferred overclocking method prior to Sandy Bridge unless you were a crazy person paying $1000 for an Extreme Edition unlocked chip. Since Sandy Bridge, it's K chips or nothing with Intel.

I think with Skylake motherboards, BCLK overclocking no longer effects things like the PCI-E bus anymore, but it still effects RAM speed. It makes it a generally more safe option for overclocking, but in almost all normal cases sticking with standard multiplier based overclocking is where you'll see all the performance gains. BCKL overclocking is for extreme OC'ers looking to get the last mhz out their CPU since it allows more granularity in clock speed.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, it was like that for a bit but is being actively suppressed by Intel: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10021/skylake-overclocking-regular-cpu-bclk-overclocking-is-being-removed

You'd need a CPU and motherboard with pre-update firmware to allow it, which you probably wouldn't get if you bought new ones at this point.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, it was like that for a bit but is being actively suppressed by Intel: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10021/skylake-overclocking-regular-cpu-bclk-overclocking-is-being-removed

You'd need a CPU and motherboard with pre-update firmware to allow it, which you probably wouldn't get if you bought new ones at this point.

Here is a source from April 18th saying that you definately still can:
http://overclocking.guide/updated-msi-z170-non-k-overclocking-guide-new-bios/

Not saying that makes it true. But seems like a lot of conflicting info on this in general.

EDIT: People in the comments of the article I posted are suggesting as recently as June 24th that it is still possible.

I dunno though, even if you can, it seems easier to just get the K version I suppose.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - I think the possibility is still out there if you want to do it, but you only save around $100-120 (versus a 6600K+Z170, assuming you are buying an aftermarket cooler for your i3 overclocking too) and have to deal with a substantially trickier process in return for still having a dual-core when you're done even if it's an especially fast dual-core. In many cases you would get better results with a quad-core at stock settings, and it's never going to be as good as an overclocked quad-core. For those reasons I think it never really got much buzz even when Intel wasn't yet suppressing it.

Besides, the OCable dual core option was available in Haswell with the G3258 and I think it got a bit of attention but at the end of the day you usually still have to do crazy poo poo to go past 5GHz. It's a neat curiosity but from a performance perspective not very compelling in a world full of software that can use more than 2 threads.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 16, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Not taking a side but just FYI I am thinking more along the lines of overclocking an i5-6400... which upon further inspection is nearly worthless as, at least going by Amazon, the 6400 is only $30 less than the 6600k.

So I guess that settles it.

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
My 8 year old desktop is finally dying on me, so I figure now might be a good time to try building a new gaming pc.
Any advice? This is what I've come up with so far, keep in mind I have no clue what I'm doing.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: SilenX EFZ-120HA5 86.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170M Mortar Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.95 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($161.81 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($459.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1190.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-16 12:36 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Twerk from Home posted:

If you want a good playing and CPU-encoding streaming experience, you're looking at 6 or more core Intel CPUs, which realistically means the i7-5820k. You could also look at some type of hardware encoding, whether Intel Quicksync, Nvidia NVENC, or AMD VCE, all of which are supported by the new OBS.

Huh, really? I'm not topping out everything, never really gone down the 6 core path. The bump to a 6600k with much faster ram wouldn't give me more headroom?

If I was actually producing real viewable content I'd probably just get a stream box, but I'm trying to be as efficient as possible.