Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I agree with your broad points but I think you're undervaluing Moscow. It was vital as the bureaucratic and administrative hub fir a highly centralized state. Would taking it end the war? No but at the very least there would be a lot of very unhelpful chaos as everything and everyone was evacuated to the rear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

What kind of scale-ratio should I be inserting for the diagrams? How many tanks are those figures standing in for? Is it pretty much as-is or should I be expecting a company wherever there's a team stand or whatever?

I have no idea since the guy mixed in various organizations from various parts of the war, but I can tell you what this should have been like. Here is an organization of a combined arms army attacking along a 5 km wide front, roughly one infantry division and 30 tanks per 1 km not counting reserves. This is a pretty compressed offensive, a division with this many tanks backing it can usually be expected to cover a 2.5-3 km wide front by itself.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I agree with your broad points but I think you're undervaluing Moscow. It was vital as the bureaucratic and administrative hub fir a highly centralized state. Would taking it end the war? No but at the very least there would be a lot of very unhelpful chaos as everything and everyone was evacuated to the rear.

Yeah, but the entire narrative is that the Germans were this close to taking Moscow and winning the war. Which they weren't, on two counts. That means that starting the campaign earlier, even if it were possible, doesn't mean the Germans win, unless they somehow manage to drive the Soviets beyond the Ural in one campaign, which is just not physically possible.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ice Fist posted:

This is so disappointing.

According to the ever reliable wikipedia, Soviet troops being inoculated against tank shock (in preparation for Kursk) by having tanks drive over them in trenches over and over referred to it as being "Ironed" which is pretty cool, at least.

e; also as to the discussion above, taking Moscow would definitely have been a blow to morale and a logistical nightmare but the Soviets were already readying... Kuybyshev I think as a fall back capital by moving ministries and poo poo east.

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 25, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes I agree with that. Really I think any hypothetical capture of Moscow comes into questioning how well they handle the 1942 offensives.

Again, this is presuming they take it in 41 without destroying their army in the process. The inability to take Leningrad during that same period and the meat grinder of Stalingrad both argue against that ever happening.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Really if you want to play what if games with Moscow the more interesting question is how much a nuke air burst over the Kremlin fucks things up in a Berlin Blockade gone hit scenario.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Fuligin posted:

According to the ever reliable wikipedia, Soviet troops being inoculated against tank shock (in preparation for Kursk) by having tanks drive over them in trenches over and over referred to it as being "Ironed" which is pretty cool, at least.

e; also as to the discussion above, taking Moscow would definitely have been a blow to morale and a logistical nightmare but the Soviets were already readying... Kuybyshev I think as a fall back capital by moving ministries and poo poo east.

Again, that's a very liberal translation. The term was "obkatka", literally "rolling over"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yes I agree with that. Really I think any hypothetical capture of Moscow comes into questioning how well they handle the 1942 offensives.

Again, this is presuming they take it in 41 without destroying their army in the process. The inability to take Leningrad during that same period and the meat grinder of Stalingrad both argue against that ever happening.

You could also make an argument for this going much worse for the Germans than reality, if the Germans get sucked into Moscow wholesale in the same way they did at Stalingrad, only to be encircled in the city by the Soviet winter counteroffensive instead of slipping away as they did historically.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ensign Expendable posted:

Again, that's a very liberal translation. The term was "obkatka", literally "rolling over"

Are there any cool/funny Russian soldier terms for things?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

drat. I was so hoping there was some twirly mustached, vodka drinking officer somewhere going 'Give them... the Treatment!' and then all of their artillery opening fire.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ArchangeI posted:

Much better. An attack in Mid-May runs straight into the tail end of the spring thaw, meaning that the Panzers never get the kind of breakthroughs and wide ranging encirclements they did in reality. The Soviets wouldn't have felt under intense pressure to counterattack at every opportunity and would have been able to mobilize fully before committing forces to battle, simply because they weren't losing units at such a fast pace. There would have been a real chance that the Soviets hold onto the really important industrial areas in the western part of Russia and don't suffer the disruption of production that came with the evacuation. All that would have shortened the war by at least a year, if not more, and probably would have saved millions of lives.

In all seriousness, the whole "Balkan campaign caused a delay that meant Barbarossa failed"-thing is problematic for several reasons.

The first, as I said above, is that the necessary good weather simply wasn't there before mid-June.

The second is that the forces committed to the Balkans weren't actually scheduled for Barbarossa, and after they were done they went into the operational reserve instead of straight to the front.

The third is that the Germans suffered massive logistical issues throughout Barbarossa, with the Luftwaffe forced to use bombers to fly fuel to the forward Panzer divisions because ground based supply units couldn't keep up. Throwing more units into an overstretched logistics network won't help you at all.

The fourth is the frankly ridiculous idea that capturing Moscow ends the war, and that the Germans were within X weeks of capturing it (where X < length of Balkans campaign). Both notions are problematic at best. Moscow is not a small city, and it was one that the Soviets would have defended to the death. It would have made Stalingrad look like an ugly football riot. Even if the Germans reach it before winter, it is by no means certain that they will be able to take and hold it. And even if they take it, the war would continue. Capturing Moscow in 1812 did not end the war, as Napoleon found out (he was no doubt somewhat annoyed by this). While Moscow was important to the Soviet war effort (mostly as a transportation hub), it was by no means critical. The comparison to Berlin in 1945 simply does not take. By the time of the Battle of Berlin, the Allies had already captured the Ruhr and with it the heart of the German war industry. By comparison, the Soviet industry had relocated behind the Ural mountains and was safely out of reach of the Germans.

So, yeah. Even if the Germans hadn't gone into the Balkans, they couldn't have attacked sooner. Even if they had attacked sooner, they couldn't have used the forces they sent to the Balkans. Even if they had used the forces for Barbarossa instead, it wouldn't have helped. Even if it would have helped, it wouldn't have been enough.

Wasn't one of the reasons for a "late" attack that Germans were building airfields for the bombers? And these bombers helped to destroy most of the Soviet Airforces on their airfields?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aside from the big names like Clausewitz and Jomini, are there any other writers of military theory that are worth looking into (preferably authors whose texts have already been translated)?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

hard counter posted:

Aside from the big names like Clausewitz and Jomini, are there any other writers of military theory that are worth looking into (preferably authors whose texts have already been translated)?

Read Sun Tzu and then quote from him during powerpoint presentations about your company's third quarter marketing budget.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hard counter posted:

montecuccoli, which is available in an english volume that's half translation of his work and half bio of him, calle d the military intellectual and battle
basta

moritz of nassau and j.j. wallhausen if you must read a Protestant

justus lipsius if you want something more theoretical (it's not even about armies at all, it's about controlling your emotions in a time when the world sucks. and everyone read it.)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothfulCobra posted:

If WW2 happened 20 years later, would all the belligerents be close enough to the atomic bomb for it to end in a nuclear hellstorm?

I'm about half-way through Rhodes' excellent The Making of the Atomic Bomb right now, and as always with these counterfactuals, my answer is maybe. Currently I'm in the winter of '40-'41, and there's some interesting stuff going on. Fission has been discovered (and explained, which took a surprisingly long time) by 1940, and public articles have gone out about it. German, British and American scientists are all actively involved. A Japanese team is aware of the goings on in the physics world and has estimated that they do have access to enough Uranium to build a bomb, assuming it's possible. Soviets aren't really doing much beyond small lab studies. Assuming that the Soviets would have gotten wind immediately, that does suggest they all would have figured it out.

But there's loads of stuff happening that's extremely grounded in the political situation of the day (Nazi's are jerks, scientists do not like them); Leo Szilard (who has had secret British patents on matters related to nuclear reactions going back to the damned 30s, inspired by Orson Welles) is trying to convince everyone fission chain reactions are totally going to be a huge deal, that the American government needs to start funding this poo poo pronto, and everyone needs to stop loving publishing about it lest the Germans learn about it and beat them to a bomb. Interestingly enough, a lot of the American powers that be are convinced that all this Uranium talk is a waste of time, and that a bomb will never be possible. This is due to an oversight about neutron absorption in 235U vs 238U, and the fact that most people are convinced isotope separation is a fools errand anyway. Plutonium has only just been created in the last few weeks, so nobody important thinks much about it yet.

Conversely the British have basically everything figured out by March of 41. They know a bomb is possible, that they need about 12 pounds of 235U to build a bomb, and they have identified the correct method to sufficiently enrich the Uranium. Currently they're trying to agitate the Americans to build the facility (it'll be big, and presumably they're trying to avoid it being in range of German bombers), but that's getting lost in bureaucratic infighting.

The Germans are pursuing their own program, but have made a critical error about the neutron absorption cross section of carbon, meaning that they believe Heavy Water is the only moderator useful for further fission research. A hydroelectric plant in Norway is the only place capable of producing it in any quantity, but the French, aware of its potential, managed to procure all of the existing stocks immediately before the invasion of Norway, and then dumped it all during the Fall of France. I don't know the whole story of the plant, but if memory serves, Brits and Norwegians manage to gently caress with the plant to sufficient degree that it doesn't produce much. If we're talking about a world where Nazi Germany exists, but there's no war, it's very doubtful that they manage to produce or procure enough heavy water for their research. Maybe they correct their estimates about using Carbon as a moderator, but that's anybodies guess.

Ultimately all of this is so intertwined with the political realm that no bomb is getting built without wartime funding considerations. If you avoid the war by deleting the Nazis from history somehow (the time travelling Albert Einstein hypothesis), then my guess is the physicists continue their open publishing ways, and the knowledge that a bomb is possible and the requirements for it would be known by '45-'50 or so. But that is still a long rear end way from having a functional bomb; isotope separation and plutonium production (in quantity) are such massive undertakings that I doubt governments would be looking to fund it. Even when you have the core material, actually building a reliable bomb is a whole other task. But we're also talking about a world with a completely unknown political and economic situation, so who the gently caress knows?

---

Semirelated: I watched The Pity of War on Netflix the other day, and man Niall Ferguson is such a tool. A whole 90 minute special about how the British Empire (and preserving the Empire is clearly his key motivation) would have been better off if Britain had stayed out of WWI, presumably resulting in a fast German victory in '14-'15. He offers no arguments for this other than "the western front suuuucked", and assuming that a victorious Germany would have promptly created an EU that Britain totally would have been allowed into on equal terms. When he turns to the panel of good historians, pretty much everyone tells him that none of his counterfactuals make any sense. Even the audience is against him; I guess that part was pretty excellent.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 25, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

justus lipsius if you want something more theoretical (it's not even about armies at all, it's about controlling your emotions in a time when the world sucks. and everyone read it.)

Is this the author or the title?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is this the author or the title?

that's the dude. google Neo-Stoicism if you want the ideas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justus_Lipsius
Mr. Enderby and System Metternich might know enough about this to talk with more eloquence on it, they're more about the cultural products/literature/art of the 17th c than I am. Or Disinterested, who's a real philosophy-head.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 25, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

hard counter posted:

Mahan and his The Influence of Seapower was hugely influential on early 20th century naval thinking.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

Every conjugation, literal use, figurative use and rhetorical use that you can think of for "сука".

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

Soldiers with gas masks are called elephants. That's kind of funny I guess.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

P-Mack posted:

Read Sun Tzu and then quote from him during powerpoint presentations about your company's third quarter marketing budget.

i already do this when playing board-games (monopoly)

HEY GAL posted:

montecuccoli, which is available in an english volume that's half translation of his work and half bio of him, calle d the military intellectual and battle
basta

moritz of nassau and j.j. wallhausen if you must read a Protestant

Raimondo was next on my list so it's good to know I'm on the right track.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Soldiers with gas masks are called elephants. That's kind of funny I guess.

Didn't you mention a funny soldier explanation for what LaGG stands for in the previous thread?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

my dad posted:

Didn't you mention a funny soldier explanation for what LaGG stands for in the previous thread?

Lakirovanniy Grob Garantirovan (Lacquered Coffin is Guaranteed). That's not a wartime nickname though, much like "Ronson" it became popularized a long time after the war.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hard counter posted:

HEY GAL posted:

is it OK to Montecuccoli?

quote:

As a regimental "owner" Monetcuccoli probably profited from at least some of those sources of income that later came to be regarded as illicit. He had to invest his own money on occasion. In 1632 he had to pay his own ransom. Like the majority of his colleagues he was of noble origin. His rise to prominence was a family affair, and he tried to do as much for Galeotto as his relatives had done for him. He worried about his future while in captivity. He had military judicial difficulties. He fought or may have fought duels. He was a status-seeker. He appears to have enjoyed the exercise of power and to have looked for adventure. Yet in the last analysis he is somewhat atypical...Material factors did not concern Montecuccoli nearly as much as they did others. He was a bit spendthrift--after all this was a part of life at court--and his family complained about it. Unlike others...he did not show much business acumen....[He] seems to have spent all his money on books, good living, and aesthetically satisfying projects.

probably :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

spectralent posted:

As I discovered earlier, apparently "tankodesantniki" is a word.

Also nicknaming a machinegun "sweetie" because degtyaryova shpagina krupnokaliberny shortens to DShK or "dushka"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 25, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hard counter posted:

i already do this when playing board-games (monopoly)

Don't forget Command of the Air by Giulio Douhet to get in the heads of interbellum air forces.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wonder how a Russian underground resistance would have gone, had there been a proper occupation a la France.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
There were effective networks of partisans basically everywhere that wasn't a steppe, so I imagine they could have figured it out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FAUXTON posted:

I wonder how a Russian underground resistance would have gone, had there been a proper occupation a la France.

Well for starters actually literally underground in Moscow given the subway system.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

That's pretty much what they did everywhere there were Nazis about.

We just did an interesting study on defending lines of communication and we used the Wehrmacht in Russia in WWII as a prime example: a lot of times forward-based maneuver units had to fight backwards to get to their sustainment help. This wasn't as common later on as they were consistently falling back, but during the offensives a typical division commander had to reserve at least a battalion's worth of dudes to first fight back through to the corps support area, and then to escort the goodies back up to the things that needed them (which could sometimes be dozens of kms away).

I dunno, kind of blew my mind. Bypass criteria is a crazy thing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

That's pretty much what they did everywhere there were Nazis about.

We just did an interesting study on defending lines of communication and we used the Wehrmacht in Russia in WWII as a prime example: a lot of times forward-based maneuver units had to fight backwards to get to their sustainment help. This wasn't as common later on as they were consistently falling back, but during the offensives a typical division commander had to reserve at least a battalion's worth of dudes to first fight back through to the corps support area, and then to escort the goodies back up to the things that needed them (which could sometimes be dozens of kms away).

I dunno, kind of blew my mind. Bypass criteria is a crazy thing.

Wow. Was that more a function of their mobility doctrine itself, like Russian terrain effectively placing such constraints on Wehrmacht maneuvers that they ended up almost putting themselves in pockets? Or was it more a result of Soviet strategy in retreat?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The thing about the Germans somehow capturing Moscow in '41 doesn't mean poo poo because they probably couldn't hold it for long anyway.

PittTheElder posted:

Semirelated: I watched The Pity of War on Netflix the other day, and man Niall Ferguson is such a tool. A whole 90 minute special about how the British Empire (and preserving the Empire is clearly his key motivation) would have been better off if Britain had stayed out of WWI, presumably resulting in a fast German victory in '14-'15. He offers no arguments for this other than "the western front suuuucked", and assuming that a victorious Germany would have promptly created an EU that Britain totally would have been allowed into on equal terms. When he turns to the panel of good historians, pretty much everyone tells him that none of his counterfactuals make any sense. Even the audience is against him; I guess that part was pretty excellent.

Grrrrrrrr. This argument annoys me so much I actually effortposted about it in the last thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure that "a european union" would be my word for "imperial german rule over europe"

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Cyrano4747 posted:

But they did evacuate it and nominate a new capital and the chaos resulting was brought under control within a couple of weeks. Even if they did take it, there would be no industrial equipment there and every major building was mined with explosives; and it would be in danger of just being an early war Stalingrad.

It was the rail hub of all of central Russia though, which would have been a big problem for the USSR.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I've heard people unironically state EU 1950 edition as a silver lining for the Nazis winning WW2.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

that's the dude. google Neo-Stoicism if you want the ideas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justus_Lipsius
Mr. Enderby and System Metternich might know enough about this to talk with more eloquence on it, they're more about the cultural products/literature/art of the 17th c than I am. Or Disinterested, who's a real philosophy-head.

I can talk about stoicism but early moderns who aren't Thomas Hobbes are pure mystery to me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure that "a european union" would be my word for "imperial german rule over europe"

Nor is anyone who isn't named Niall Ferguson.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Would it actually have been worse than what we got, though.

Because what we got feels a lot like worst case scenario to me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've heard people unironically state EU 1950 edition as a silver lining for the Nazis winning WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

altright.jpg up there

Disinterested posted:

Would it actually have been worse than what we got, though.

Because what we got feels a lot like worst case scenario to me.

A weaker Russia could have made things much worse, for values of worse including generalplan ost and the Ruhrplex being one giant nuclear target. I think the Cold War is worth missing out on that.