Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

First: thanks! Second: yeah I thought I put in a bit too much commentary. I was having a lot of fun writing the commentary, but I definitely felt that the update was a bit strained. I suppose my main question to you then is: what worked? Knowing what amused you or actually worked would help me a lot on the 'cutting down on commentary' stuff.

Honestly, some of that stuff was just because there were two screenshots in a row and sometimes the reason there are two screenshots in a row is that the designers put in a nice touch in the second cutscene that prevented me from getting a usable Ringo portrait for a pose she first has in that. I thought that two images in a row looked cramped on the test poster. If two images in a row doesn't look funny then I'll cut the commentary filling the gaps. One downside of my setup is that I have no idea how large my update is going to end up, so keeping my update small will prevent me from going over the 50k character limit.

If there's significant enough difference between two images, it should be fine to stick two of 'em together. A new sprite appearing, for example.

For the commentary, it might be easier for me to describe what doesn't work, because it's generally good, just excessive.

Here's a screenshot of one of the times you go overboard (forgive me for mobile lpix). Ringo's words flow better if they're read in quick succession, but you interrupt her every line. There's no need to put commentary between every screenshot, either! Even a few lines of dialogue will suffice.

limeicebreakers fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

limeicebreakers posted:

If there's significant enough difference between two images, it should be fine to stick two of 'em together. A new sprite appearing, for example.

For the commentary, it might be easier for me to describe what doesn't work, because it's generally good, just excessive.

Here's a screenshot of one of the times you go overboard (forgive me for mobile lpix). Ringo's words flow better if they're read in quick succession, but you interrupt her every line. There's no need to put commentary between every screenshot, either! Even a few lines of dialogue will suffice.

That spot is a problem spot. The problem is that all my portraits face to the right. Normally, this would not be a problem; just crop, flip, get rid of the background and I'm done. The problem is that SEGA didn't just flip the sprite: that sprite has the hairpin in a different spot, which I noticed when I tried the above method. So consecutive screenshots are my only way of communicating that; if I had a proper portrait for that I would not have chosen to do that, since they change far too little.

If anyone has any idea how I could fix this problem, that would be great.

Also, too much of a good thing... tricky...

I'm not going to post a new revision, but I am going to take your recommendation on when to stick two of them together. That actually gets rid of some awkward spots. Thanks!

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 15, 2018

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

That spot is a problem spot. The problem is that all my portraits face to the right. Normally, this would not be a problem; just crop, flip, get rid of the background and I'm done. The problem is that SEGA didn't just flip the sprite: that sprite has the hairpin in a different spot, which I noticed when I tried the above method. So consecutive screenshots are my only way of communicating that; if I had a proper portrait for that I would not have chosen to do that, since they change far too little.

If anyone has any idea how I could fix this problem, that would be great.

I'm not going to post a new revision, but I am going to take your recommendation on when to stick two of them together. Thank you!

The problem isn't necessarily the multiple lines in consecutive screenshots, it's that your commentary is interrupting the flow of the dialogue (or monologue, in this case). Besides, why not just use the right-facing portraits? The direction that character's facing when delivering their lines isn't important overall.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Epicmissingno posted:

The problem isn't necessarily the multiple lines in consecutive screenshots, it's that your commentary is interrupting the flow of the dialogue (or monologue, in this case). Besides, why not just use the right-facing portraits? The direction that character's facing when delivering their lines isn't important overall.

For comparison, the offending portrait with no transparency and the one I use after it.

It's really jarring.

The right-facing portraits I created for some characters (who only face left in this update) don't have something that noticeable. The only other character that even came close to causing problems was Amitie, but the portrait where you can really see it ended up not appearing in this update. Which is sort of a relief. But she didn't have four consecutive dialog boxes just in that pose.

Are you starting to see my problem? :sigh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Do you have image editing software? I put this together in about four minutes:

You could also just embrace it. Tell the thread straight up that the portraits are gonna flip back and forth and it's going to look weird but hey that's just how the game is.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Blind Sally posted:

Do you have image editing software? I put this together in about four minutes:

You could also just embrace it. Tell the thread straight up that the portraits are gonna flip back and forth and it's going to look weird but hey that's just how the game is.

Unfortunately, that second one isn't an option, because I would drive myself crazy...

But the first one is! The pose she's doing under her face is the same as one in a right-facing portrait: the only drat difference is the hairpin.

If I remove the background, I can literally just take the "correct" part of her head on one portrait and overlay it on the other.

Thanks, Blind Sally! That should enable me to truly correct the problem. Thanks!

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

I am so goddamn proud of this portrait. I literally can not find any differences between it and how Ringo would look.

Rewritten update here for you to dissect.

This is about as much as I feel I can cut. limeicebreakers, if the commentary is still too disruptive, let me know ASAP.

If there is, I'm going to have to make some hard choices as to what I'm gonna cut. :smith:

EDIT: I'm going to bed now and likely won't be up for about 8 hours. If anyone else has feedback for me, please give me it now. When I wake up tomorrow, I am literally going to look here, incorporate the feedback, and then ask what a good icon choice for my thread would be. I have a fairly good idea of what I'm going to title it, but the thread icon was giving me a hard time.

Good night!

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 15, 2018

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Video links are good now.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Well, I'm up!

Having had a night to sleep on it, I realized that some of the stuff that sounded funny in my head at the time really did not work, or was very poorly timed.

So I've cut down and shuffled around the commentary, especially where it was disrupting the flow of the in-game conversation or was not especially funny, and I think it works a lot better now.

If no one has anymore problems with the update, then I have another question: what would a good icon be for the thread? Even general ideas on what a good icon for any particular thread would be would be helpful in narrowing down what thread icon to choose, because I have been having problems with that.

Otherwise, in about two hours, assuming no more problems crop up, I'll put up a new LP thread, make a post in the New LP Thread, and start working on the next update having learned my lessons from just crafting this first update.

Which took a goddamn week because I was setting up my tools alongside it and had to deal with multiple glitches, but now that I have all of my tools properly set up I can deal with portrait changes and broken video links very quickly.

New portraits are going to be a sore spot though, due to that 900px limit I didn't know about. And I know I'm going to have to make several new ones for a new character next update. :sigh:

Well, I suppose that unexpected challenges like that are why good LPs take a lot of hard work.

Edit: Video links work now? Excellent. The way my tools work, broken video links are a thing that will no longer be happening. :toot:

MayOrMayNotBeACat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 15, 2018

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You're missing a [/i] somewhere around "A bakery that substitutes eyeball-like candy for chocolate chips?".

I think that your commentary is still too obtrusive. All the lines where you're not explaining something could go and the update would still be fine. Let the game talk for itself.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

You're missing a [/i] somewhere around "A bakery that substitutes eyeball-like candy for chocolate chips?".

I think that your commentary is still too obtrusive. All the lines where you're not explaining something could go and the update would still be fine. Let the game talk for itself.

Really? Thank you!

...Maybe I should keep the snarking to non-update posting in my thread. The game starts providing plenty of snarking itself later, so minimalist commentary would work. Thanks!

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Alright, based on ultrafilter's feedback, I've completely cut out my own commentary except where it pertains to explaining who the characters are and the context for some of their lines... Oh, and the guide.

Can't invalidate the whole point of this thing.

I want to know the following about the update:[list=1]
[*]Are there any problems caused by me cutting almost everything, i.e redundant screenshots?
[*]Is the game doing well in speaking for itself? I want this to be entertaining and informative. I also think that compared to what's coming up this is relatively boring. If "relatively boring" in this context is still entertaining to unspoiled readers, then I'll shut up for these bits.

If no really debilitating feedback comes in the next hour I'll start the thread and post the update.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:hai:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

So I've been recording a Kerbal Space Program Let's Play for a while (I posted about this a while ago) and am looking to start editing the footage and add in post-commentary since much of the LP will have fast forwarding and jumpcuts due to the nature of the game. However, I'm not really sure how and when to properly employ these in a way that doesn't completely destroy the flow of things yet also speeds things along enough to not make it a boring watch, since KSP career mode consists of doing a LOT of the same things over and over. Is there some sort of guide to this sort of thing, or should I just go by feel?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

So I've been recording a Kerbal Space Program Let's Play for a while (I posted about this a while ago) and am looking to start editing the footage and add in post-commentary since much of the LP will have fast forwarding and jumpcuts due to the nature of the game. However, I'm not really sure how and when to properly employ these in a way that doesn't completely destroy the flow of things yet also speeds things along enough to not make it a boring watch, since KSP career mode consists of doing a LOT of the same things over and over. Is there some sort of guide to this sort of thing, or should I just go by feel?

Edits are all by feel. If it's a repetitive action, you might show the action twice, maybe a third/fourth time if there's a different way of doing it. Otherwise saying "I made x number of herrings for this" is probably fine.

Editing is still always better than no editing. It may take a while for you to find your flow in any given game though.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I'm not really sure how and when to properly employ these in a way that doesn't completely destroy the flow of things yet also speeds things along enough to not make it a boring watch, since KSP career mode consists of doing a LOT of the same things over and over. Is there some sort of guide to this sort of thing, or should I just go by feel?

As someone who is still feeling their way through this kind of thing, but really likes KSP and would like to see a quality LP of it, I'd suggest something similar to what dscruffy1 said. It really depends on your style but it may well be that doing a couple of 'scientific observation' or whatever missions and then doing several more off-screen is quite beneficial. Any time you make significant(or arguably even small) changes to a launch design I think it would be worth showing that on camera since it's such a big part of the game. How you decide what missions to get when, what research to do, all of that would be interesting IMO. You seem to be focusing in on the repetitive nature of certain grinding sections(appropriately), and my personal suggestion would be to leave out most of the grinding if that's all it is; if it adds anything else, show it.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Thotimx posted:

As someone who is still feeling their way through this kind of thing, but really likes KSP and would like to see a quality LP of it, I'd suggest something similar to what dscruffy1 said. It really depends on your style but it may well be that doing a couple of 'scientific observation' or whatever missions and then doing several more off-screen is quite beneficial. Any time you make significant(or arguably even small) changes to a launch design I think it would be worth showing that on camera since it's such a big part of the game. How you decide what missions to get when, what research to do, all of that would be interesting IMO. You seem to be focusing in on the repetitive nature of certain grinding sections(appropriately), and my personal suggestion would be to leave out most of the grinding if that's all it is; if it adds anything else, show it.

One possible way of cutting into this is to give a count of how many missions were launched (and Kerbals lost) in between segments. That gives some impression of the grind (considering folks will become familiar with how long a Kerbal launch takes), and allows the potential for humour (20 launches,a 3% successful Kerbal Return Rate, and $8.5m in property damage restitution Later...) , but yes, unless it changes things, it's often best to remove grind wherever you can, once the grindiness has been explained or shown once.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

For grinding money and science, I was thinking of showing more or less a full mission (cutting time warps), and after that for other, similar missions, just showing tiny snippets of each mission, maybe in a montage style with like 10 seconds or less of each. Things slow down a bit once I get to the point where I'm leaving Kerbin so I would only really be cutting out the long time warps then.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So guys,is there a good way to read the lp archive on a phone? Someone did make an unofficial app but that's just an HTML grabber. Cause the site is obviously not optimized for phones and it's a hassle to read

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

So guys,is there a good way to read the lp archive on a phone? Someone did make an unofficial app but that's just an HTML grabber. Cause the site is obviously not optimized for phones and it's a hassle to read

Click the link to the LP forum thread and read it on the Awful app?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That might work for more recent LPs, or if you're willing to shell out the :10bux: for archives, but a lot of the LPs on the Archive are from threads regular users don't have access to any more.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

That might work for more recent LPs, or if you're willing to shell out the :10bux: for archives, but a lot of the LPs on the Archive are from threads regular users don't have access to any more.

Oh, right :doh: Sorry, I don't have another suggestion. The only way I got to actually read anything on my phone on that LPArchive app was by rotating the screen horizontally and continuously scrolling right-left.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
What is everyone's preferred recording program? I just captured some test video to get the ball rolling, but I ended up using OBS for it. Tried to use Shadowplay that was on my PC but the drat thing would not install.

OBS did the job, but I clearly need to futz with the settings since the audio quality went from hollow to 'phone speakers wrapped in an old sock' as I messed with it.

It's going to be a screenshot LP, but there are a few videos I'd like to get in good quality.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you're playing a console game via emulator, I'd recommend going with the emulator's built-in recording, if at all possible. At the very least, I haven't ever had any video or audio problems going from that.

As for other screen recorders, I don't have a whole lot of experience, but OBS didn't gently caress up the sound quality the two times I used it (to record footage from Wild Arms and Devil Survivor). I used AAC encoding at 160 bitrate, the default for OBS (at least IIRC).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I like to set up a Betamovie Beta camcorder on a tripod in front of my computer screen very carefully so you don't see the edges of the screen. Some people complain about the quality, but I like the authenticity or ripping screenshots from tape.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Aside of OBS, there is the now free-forever Hypercam2, but I've had bad luck with it finalizing long recordings. There's also the ghetto option which is recording with Virtualdub, but that can lead to some issues and a really bad time. Personally I use Dxtory, but it hasn't been updated since 2017 and it breaks on Windows 10 ver. 1803 so that's out. Honestly, your best bet is taking the time to tweak OBS just right to get what you need from it.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 21, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
OBS is the king and all other recording software are chumps. CHUMPS I say

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Danaru posted:

OBS is the king and all other recording software are chumps. CHUMPS I say

hmm, harsh but fair.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
There's many a game that I have not managed to record with OBS, so

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

QUESTIONS FOR THE SANDCASTLE:

- Is everything alright in a technical sense?
- Do the headshot images look good? (I hope so, I already prepared a ton of them)
- Is the way I'm transcribing the cutscenes OK?
- Do the videos look good and is the way I'm putting them into the updates noticeable enough?
- Do the images look alright? This is my first time without capturing at lossless quality, and I might have hosed it up.
- Anything else?

-----------------------------

So, what's all this then?

This is Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - henceforth referred to simply as Ultra Despair Girls or UDG for short - a spinoff of the Danganronpa series released for the PlayStation Vita in Japan in September of 2014 and in the other regions in September of 2015. It was then ported to the PlayStation 4 and Windows PCs, with those ports being released in June 2017. I'll be playing on that Windows port for ease of recording, by the way. Anyway, contrary to the previous two games' visual novel and puzzle mixture gameplay, this game takes a bit of a departure from that, mixing the visual novel segments with third-person adventuring, incorporating both shooter and hack-and-slash elements.

...they made a Danganronpa third-person-shooter?

...kinda, yeah. I promise it's not as bad as it sounds!

I heard some really bad things about this game.

Yeah, the reception for this game has been, uh, let's call it controversial. It's not all that well liked. Which might make this LP a bit awkward, because I really like this game. I feel like I have to say this beforehand so there's no wrong expectations about what this LP is going to be, because I'm fairly sure that there's a decent part of the potential audience here that would have preferred a teardown over what I'm going to present, which is more going to be showing off what I love about this game with a generally positive tone. So, just so you know.

Is there something I should know before going into this game?

Well, the game just expects you to have played the first two games - Trigger Happy Havoc and Goodbye Despair. As such, you should know what happens in those games. If you don't, FPZero has you covered with LPs of the first game and the second game. Note that the thread for the second game starts dropping spoilers for UDG after the conclusion of the game, so be aware of that.

Speaking of spoilers...

No spoilers. loving period. Not with tags, not with anything. No spoilers. Stuff relating to DR1 and DR2 is obviously fair game, since UDG assumes that you've played both, but UDG and everything afterwards (which is mainly DR3, the anime, and DRV3, the third mainline game) is completely off limits. I will be anal about this.

One caveat to that rule: If I, by virtue of being an eternal fuckup, spoil something by mistake, do not point it out in the thread. Maybe send me a PM or something, but don't point it out directly in the thread, since all that does is just draw more attention to it. I will be paying extra attention to not loving up in that manner, but I've learned to never assume that I'll be able to not gently caress up.

Alright, so what's the LP going to be like?

Hybrid style. We'll have mainly screenshot stuff with some videos interspersed to show off particular segments, be they dialogue sections, animated movies or gameplay. Videos will be designated with this type of image:

Also, because there's going to be a lot of videos, I'm going to institute a sort of "seal of approval" thing. Videos that I particularly think you should watch will be designated with this type of image:

Note that during the first few updates, there will probably be a larger amount of videos with the seal of approval - it'll go down when we get into major gameplay. Also also, I have an icon to signify that a character is talking in a voiceover. It looks like this:

Otherwise, it shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. And with that said, let's get this show on the road!

Update 1

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 22, 2018

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
oh no

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Show the tickling scenes you coward.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'd say I'm surprised.

But I'm not.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I do appreciate that you asked specifically if everything looked all right in a technical sense. :allears:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I do appreciate that you asked specifically if everything looked all right in a technical sense. :allears:

I mean, no sense in asking questions I already know the answer to, right?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In a technical sense the LP looks fine but I have a few suggestions. Screens feel big but that's probably because I'm used to my 640x360 images. Probably not an issue though. The "Meeting Byakuya Togami" video didn't start playing video until a few seconds in, though the audio did start. It might be a bit of a hassle to record but might I suggest turning on subtitles for the videos? Or just making sure that the voice volume is set higher than you might normally play with it at just so that everything comes across clearly without the music and sound effects drowning out the speech. Also, I think you have the Byakuya video a little too low down in the update considering it starts when Komaru is running to the elevator but you put the link after he's already shot the Monokuma. Makes the viewer re-watch part of what they've already read.

That's all from me on the technical stuff. As for the game itself...

good luck

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

So like

Is lpix allergic to the name "Ferris"? Because I've attempted to upload three different images where that was part of the file name, and they all failed because of "access violation" while ~100 other images uploaded without issue. Removing that part of the file name also removed the problem!

It's... not really a problem or anything, just... very, very odd. Or is this some kind of slur I've never heard about before?

edit:

Maybe get rid of the piece of... hair? floating in the upper right corner? Its existence bothers me. :saddowns:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 21, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
this is a murder and the victim is lets play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

vilkacis posted:

Is lpix allergic to the name "Ferris"?

It's probably some real dumb validation somewhere and the substring 'err', a common programmer shorthand for 'error'.