Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

muscles like this! posted:

So... I guess don't expect much from that marriage proposal as Floriana Lima, who plays Maggie, is not going to be a series regular next year. Apparently it was her decision but she is still supposed to guest star in multiple episodes.

What? Is this for real? I am entirely too invested in a fictional television romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maggie doesn't have a lot of purpose in the show beyond Alex's girlfriend/fiance/wife. Like, it would be different if they made the NCPD a thing that matters, but they really haven't. So she could easily show up every few episodes as a "guest" and still be Alex's wife. She might still get more TV time than James.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

:swoon:
she was awesome in Banshee

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Huh, well that's neat. One of the few good bits from the New 52 run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Let's only hope she and Melissa get to have a fist fight as amazing as Nola VS Burton.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I thought it was pretty obvious who it was supposed to be?(at least from this thread anyway)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Let's only hope she and Melissa get to have a fist fight as amazing as Nola VS Burton.

I hope they do this but like, a space station instead of a car.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

Hey guys, they were quite subtle about it but I think the pod they launched at the end was a bad guy. You might have missed it, but there were skull logos on the wall, they anointed the baby with blood and the engines on the pod were red instead of the blue like Kara's.

That cracked me up so much. I am glad when they keep the silly comicbook atmosphere in these shows.

I wish Kara or somebody hit some Daxamites with a lead pipe or something. Also was it just me who thought the name of the combat challenge thing was referring to a physical thing? I completely heard it as Something-or-other Ore and I guess I've been playing too much Zelda.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

STAC Goat posted:

Maggie doesn't have a lot of purpose in the show beyond Alex's girlfriend/fiance/wife. Like, it would be different if they made the NCPD a thing that matters, but they really haven't. So she could easily show up every few episodes as a "guest" and still be Alex's wife. She might still get more TV time than James.

I had hoped that Maggie's presence meant Intergang would be a recurring villain that she would investigate but alas.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought they might tie Maggie in with the Guardian stuff but alas.

I enjoyed this season but besides the Maggie/Alex thing they kind of bungled all their side stories. Not to a place where characters were hurt by it or anything, just in that none of it really mattered.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Supergirl DC direct statue came out today. It looks a lot like Benoist, but she's looking so bored

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GobiasIndustries posted:

So this is basically Lady Doomsday, right? Because that is extremely my poo poo.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Basically, yeah. Just hope we don't get a Davis Bloom=BloomDavis=Doomsday slow burn.

I'm kinda bummed that we already got Silver Banshee. The Mistress of Might vs. Lass of the Lochs angle could have been a really fun Science vs. Magic arc.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There are some showrunner shake-ups for this show announced today. Not really sure what any of it will mean for anything. General gist is that previous co-showrunner Ali Adler is now just a consultant because she has another gig, and two people I don't know have her old job. Andrew Kreisberg is still himself.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

My ill-informed impression is that Adler was the real showrunner, so that's a bummer

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Uh oh.

Concerning, Supergirl was the consistently best show outside of legends.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

For whatever it matters, they had the new showrunners doing the "Inside Supergirl" YouTube clips introducing the episodes for the second half of the season, so I'm guessing this change has been in the works for a while now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

Uh oh.

It's only two seasons in, they have plenty of time to pull a Flash season 2&3 on us.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
The 2nd half of season 2 dropped off a cliff in terms of quality. I hope they right the ship.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chokes McGee posted:

Uh oh.

Legends is only good because they embraced the stupid world of comic books, but Supergirl is by far the best show on its own merits.

I'm worried we're going to end up with "The show needs to focus less on Supergirl, and more on Kara Danvers, what makes her tick, what kind of men will she date? How will she react to their betrayals? People really like it when our heroes are all mopey in their relationships, so we should do more of that".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Legends is only good because they embraced the stupid world of comic books, but Supergirl is by far the best show on its own merits.

I'm worried we're going to end up with "The show needs to focus less on Supergirl, and more on Kara Danvers, what makes her tick, what kind of men will she date? How will she react to their betrayals? People really like it when our heroes are all mopey in their relationships, so we should do more of that".

What "people" and where are they so I can stay from them

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it if they did spend a little more time with Kara Danvers. I've been rewatching the second season and the stuff with Snapper and Kara learning what it means to be a journalist is good, and it's a shame they got away from that as the season went on. All the stuff on the show outside the DEO can get so perfunctory. Kara has a secret identity, they should take more advantage of that. All the CW DC shows have that problem, well except for Legends which don't give a gently caress about secret identities.

Obviously maybe pump the brakes on the dating stuff, but hell yes let's learn more about what makes Kara tick. They toyed with it a little bit last season, but they should do a "The Late Mr. Kent" adaptation.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, if there's a clear character/narrative flaw with Supergirl is that "Kara Danvers" has virtually no identity of her own. Lena and Snapper were clearly introduced to try and give her some stuff outside of Supergirl's orbit but the Snapper stuff was a real half assed miss. Lena's been better as she's a friend Kara has and Supergirl doesn't, but its pretty murky with the Luther stuff and then all the stuff that happened at the end of the season. Kara could do to develop a life outside of Supergirl's and the DEO. She lost a lot of that when Kat left.

I think the fact that Barry Allen is basically in the same place is part of what has Flash fans so burnt out and I think the fact that Oliver Queen had a whole separate life and set of problems as Mayor to deal with this season is part of why Arrow fans came around this season. Keeping the main character a well rounded person beyond just the super heroing is a big help to keeping them sympathetic and relatable.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And a lot of that stems from the fact that literally everyone around Kara and Barry knows that they're Supergirl/The Flash so barring one or two characters they don't really have anyone around them that they can interact "normally" with.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

And a lot of that stems from the fact that literally everyone around Kara and Barry knows that they're Supergirl/The Flash so barring one or two characters they don't really have anyone around them that they can interact "normally" with.

Which is why they need to merge Flash & Supergirl and have them be best buds and have singing episodes and have Barry steal icecream for them all the time :3:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

Which is why they need to merge Flash & Supergirl and have them be best buds and have singing episodes and have Barry steal icecream for them all the time :3:

They really do need to have just another non-major "Duet"-style threeway crossover where Kara and Barry just spend an episode annoying Oliver with how dopey they are together :allears:

Like just that one Entertainment Weekly publicity photo, but for a whole hour.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Lord Packinham posted:

The 2nd half of season 2 dropped off a cliff in terms of quality. I hope they right the ship.

Getting rid of Mon-El is a good start.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

They really do need to have just another non-major "Duet"-style threeway crossover where Kara and Barry just spend an episode annoying Oliver with how dopey they are together :allears:

Like just that one Entertainment Weekly publicity photo, but for a whole hour.

I'd be so incredibly happy with this, just some episode of Arrow where Barry & Kara show up out of the blue and keep cramping his style while he's investigating a murder but also constantly have delicious pastries and are having a fantastic time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xelkelvos posted:

What "people" and where are they so I can stay from them

People on the Tumblr and the twitter that really like it when Felicity cry talks on Arrow and when Barry spends half a season only focused on Iris. These people do exist, and they're annoying. The worst part about it is that it feels the writers are writing to them sometimes.

I agree that seeing more of Kara and her navigating the regular world would be interesting, but my worry is that the super heroics take a backs seat to that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

twistedmentat posted:

People on the Tumblr and the twitter that really like it when Felicity cry talks on Arrow and when Barry spends half a season only focused on Iris. These people do exist, and they're annoying. The worst part about it is that it feels the writers are writing to them sometimes.

I agree that seeing more of Kara and her navigating the regular world would be interesting, but my worry is that the super heroics take a backs seat to that.

The problem is they'd probably de-power her for that "normal person" part of the arc.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aleph Null posted:

The problem is they'd probably de-power her for that "normal person" part of the arc.

Yep, which they already did.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

twistedmentat posted:

Yep, which they already did.

I mean for 1/3 of a season, not just one episode here or there.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVkj6tbDrdI/?taken-by=melissabenoist

quote:

1st time flying. The helmet was totally necessary. And cool?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yea but this one has a dog!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVlJHMADzEF/?taken-by=melissabenoist

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I keep hearing "BONK!" in my head every time she flies off screen :allears:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dear The CW,

The atmosphere in space (no atmopshere) is also poisonous to Daxomites. Yet Mon-El is shown surviving in it, because he has an air system. Likewise, Mon-El is shown breathing inside the ship on Earth.

You may not be aware of this, but here on Earth, we have also discovered ways to filter poisonous elements out of the air. For one e.g., an example that is, a mask.

Thank you,

A Concerned Friend

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I would guess that my girlfriend and I spent 97 percent of the final episode screaming "air filter!" at the screen, which ruined any emotional impact.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
No one on the CW is ugly enough to wear a mask on television for all the scenes where they're breathing

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I mean, it's probably also dangerous to them just through skin contact.

Still voting boy in the plastic bubble as the best solution :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah, it's not so much that Daxamites are allergic to lead as it is that lead is a sort of Kryptonite to them. It's why bullets will go right through them, even though they're superpowered under a yellow sun.

In the comics the condition is amplified to the point that no Daxamites can actually stay on Earth in the longterm, even if a magic lead-making machine hadn't dosed the atmosphere with lead. Even in the show you can surmise that the reason Daxamites aren't as powerful as Kryptonians is because of all the lead on Earth.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 25, 2017