Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

FFXIII is one of the best looking games from that gen. you think theyre only able to do it because the restricted areas you walk through but even when the big open world part appears it still looks remarkable
It has super cohesive art direction. Everything, even the menus, fits into this sleek future fantasy look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

It has super cohesive art direction. Everything, even the menus, fits into this sleek future fantasy look.

Which is pretty incredible since many of the art assets were drawn up without an idea of the kind of game they were for. 13’s production was a disjointed mess that definitely came through in the game, but the art and graphics are stellar. There’s a postmortem on ff13’s design that is fascinating if you are able to find it. I’d look but I’m at work phoneposting atm.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lately I've been thinking about how good Final Fantasy VI is. I might even play the ugly version if I keep this up. More likely I'll pull out the GBA one though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've only played the gba one. Might stick it on my 3ds soon

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Lately I've been thinking about how good Final Fantasy VI is. I might even play the ugly version if I keep this up. More likely I'll pull out the GBA one though.
It's almost as good as FFIX, which makes it one of the best games ever made.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

just started FFXII and this game is chill as hell so far

got some gambits set up and just cruising through dungeons as my dudes instantly take out all the rats and whatnot :cheers:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

just started FFXII and this game is chill as hell so far

got some gambits set up and just cruising through dungeons as my dudes instantly take out all the rats and whatnot :cheers:
Zodiac Age is super easy but it's fun anyway because the world is gorgeous and the animations look great. Also speeding the game up makes it easier to follow the story, which is neat.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

thats the one i'm playing

i set the hd remake of ffx aside to play this because it wasn't really doing it for me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

thats the one i'm playing

i set the hd remake of ffx aside to play this because it wasn't really doing it for me
12 is a much better game than X, but the HD remake is worth it for X-2

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

12 is a much better game than X, but the HD remake is worth it for X-2

I liked 10 a lot more than 12 but they’re both great. I’ve played through 10 at least 4 times, while 12 i barely beat once and stalled out after 90 minutes on a replay. Never played the zodiac version so that may be a lot more fun.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
12 is cool as hell and the story is one of my favorites just because of how low key it is. also the idea of the protagonist not being the Main Character so to speak but rather just a viewpoint for the player is super sick

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i need to play the zodiac version because i’ve only played the og ps2 version and i heard they got a Job System in that ish and i go dummy for those

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

zodiac age is such a good remake because they don’t gently caress with a good formula, just add a bunch of qol stuff.

Even the rearranged ost is a subtle but pleasant change (though you can just switch to the old one if you want)

I want to platinum it when I do a ng+

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

After 4 chapters of XIII I am kinda bummed about being on rails much of the time. It’s a fun game to play in small bursts, but after an hour or so I have enough. The battle system has finally been fleshed our completely now which is nice. It’s v satisfying to stagger tough enemies.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

There's a benchmark tool out now for FF 15 if you wanna see how it's gonna perform for you.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

so in ffxii if i set up gambits on 2 different party members like if ally hp < 30% then cast cure, and the other has if ally hp < 30% then use potion and lets say they're both #1 priorities. would only one activate or both? and if only one is it based on turn order?

just trying to manage my resources a lil bit and not waste potions when someone else is casting cure. i think the right thing to do would be to set the potion gambit to ally hp < 20% or something as an emergency if cure isn't cast for whatever reason

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Ludwig van Halen posted:

so in ffxii if i set up gambits on 2 different party members like if ally hp < 30% then cast cure, and the other has if ally hp < 30% then use potion and lets say they're both #1 priorities. would only one activate or both? and if only one is it based on turn order?

just trying to manage my resources a lil bit and not waste potions when someone else is casting cure. i think the right thing to do would be to set the potion gambit to ally hp < 20% or something as an emergency if cure isn't cast for whatever reason

They would both activate iirc. setting the potion hp% lower than cure is a good idea

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I stagger my cure casting. So <50% for one characters (my healer, for instance) and then <40% for next guy with cure and <30% for potions etc.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Also, piggybacking on taht question, what about using revies? I feel like you could double cast revive since there's no way to stagger death.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

vaginal facsimile posted:

Also, piggybacking on taht question, what about using revies? I feel like you could double cast revive since there's no way to stagger death.

Yeah that happens. You could just set your healer to cast revive and manually use a Phoenix down if they get got.

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Something that the game doesn't really tell you but is helpful to know is that characters wont cast cures if they would be useless. So if you use something like Ally:any -> Esuna then that character will only cast esuna when someone has an ailment that can be cured by it. I think the same happens with revives, two people wont try to cast it at the same target since the second one wouldnt work. It's been a few months since I last played though so I could be wrong about that

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Fiend Matador posted:

Something that the game doesn't really tell you but is helpful to know is that characters wont cast cures if they would be useless. So if you use something like Ally:any -> Esuna then that character will only cast esuna when someone has an ailment that can be cured by it. I think the same happens with revives, two people wont try to cast it at the same target since the second one wouldnt work. It's been a few months since I last played though so I could be wrong about that

Ah thank you. Yeah I haven't seen them say anything about that...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I’ve been playing FFX HD and I don’t remember lightning plains being this much of a difficulty jump from the last time I played in like 2004. It seems like enemies are hitting way harder all of a sudden

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently there's a PS1-style remake of Secret of Mana coming out: https://www.secretofmanagame.com/

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Been waiting forever for my favorite game of all time to get some love, but everything about it feels like a cheap cash grab. Hope its good, but I’ll wait to see some reviews/streams.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Apparently there's a PS1-style remake of Secret of Mana coming out: https://www.secretofmanagame.com/

gently caress yeah. Multiplayer better be good.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

From the gameplay vids it looks like the same game but in this lovely looking phone game engine. Seems there will be some changes to make the menus a bit easier to use but otherwise nothing much else new?

The original looks much better.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

Been waiting forever for my favorite game of all time to get some love, but everything about it feels like a cheap cash grab. Hope its good, but I’ll wait to see some reviews/streams.

they would have just ported it if they didnt care about it probably.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The graphics and art are horrible. I couldn't get into SoM really but it was beautiful

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

they would have just ported it if they didnt care about it probably.

Yeah, you'd think so, huh? Makes sense. I just have unreasonable expectations for the game, but they're also asking $40 for a remake with kind of ugly graphics. Hopefully, they made enough gameplay changes to justify it.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
kind of looks like they were making it for the 3ds and then changed their minds or something

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

cute

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The new art doesn’t bother me too much, though it is kinda unfortunate. I was thinking of getting it for a while, but since the SNES mini has the original on it I probably won’t.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I'm not bothered by it so much as not spending money on it.

I read somewhere they made a change to the magic so you don't have to pause the game to cast every time. If there are a bunch of QOL improvements like that it could totally be worth it. I just really love this game a whole lot and it's making me Games as hell to think about all the ways they can screw it up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think the new art is ugly, I think if you're going to go for a remake of an SNES game, making it a PS1 game is a pretty good direction.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But I've also only played the first few hours of SoM years ago.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The models look good but the background textures look a little blah. Even if they looked great tho, its easy enough to play the original which always looks good.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

If it was 20 bucks or whatever that would be great but it’s pretty expensive for what it is.

I’ve just finished the gapra underwood in xiii and I’m digging it again. I have had a craving for tactics lately so maybe after I finish this I will continue my last game I never finished. I need to get my black mage/calculator to learn holy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I'm loving the combat is XII. being able to set up strategies for my party members and them being automatically executed in battle is extremely satisfying. is the battle system in XIII anything like it? or are there any other jrpgs that have a Gambit system?