Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You forgot the most important question:

What is Oliver's plan to kill Farouk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Can I just say how much I loved watching him teleport around and change the gun to a mop. Anyone got a cool gif of that?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Major Sandman vibes this ep, with the whole "a memory of a dream" and David handling the bug delusion thingie

And I loved that David claimed once he found out about them that they are simply manifestations of insanity: that is pretty much the best "plot evidence" in favor of the narration being completely straightforward with the audience (further compounded by the "so what we have learned?" part), which ties neatly to the monk/disease portion of the season as well.

Which kinda brings me to a point: was this whole song and dance with the monster thing to show out a sort of motif, a raison d'etre, of this season's plot? Like, we must be very careful to how we see the world and justify things to ourselves, otherwise we risk delusions and these can be very dangerous not only to us, but also to the ones we care about? This goes well with how David was too quick to regard future Syd's word as truth, or that he could trust the Shadow King, or that the monk was a vector of the disease but everybody was too fixated about Farouk to give a drat.

If so, it is a masterstroke because I was worried all the time that the plot was going to be this cripplingly complicated massive maniacal piece of work while the series was the entire loving time telling me completely straight that in thinking like that, I was behaving exactly as the test subjects of the narration sequences by fitting it to patterns that matched my worldview and expectations of the plot while not paying attention at all to the actual things going on and

holy gently caress I realized that this is true while I was typing this and this motherfucking show is a goddamn work of art

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

dead comedy forums posted:

holy gently caress I realized that this is true while I was typing this and this motherfucking show is a goddamn work of art

It would be beautiful if we were all looking for complicated patterns and the plot is just exactly what's been set out. no twists, no buts.

edit: I think Oliver's plan to kill Farouk is simply to watch him take on David. Farouk might be smarter and more willing to hurt people but we now know that David can not just bend reality but move around the multi-verse. Pride before the fall and all...

pop and mop gifs:
https://imgur.com/a/kwPIRXP

n3wt fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 17, 2018

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

• Why does David destroy the world?

I think that was adequately answered in the multiverse episode--or at least, demonstrated how it could come about.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Where the hell was D3 security during all of this? Don't they have soldiers patrolling the compound?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SimonChris posted:

Where the hell was D3 security during all of this? Don't they have soldiers patrolling the compound?

They're all dusted.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

SimonChris posted:

swickles posted:

They're all dusted.

there were lots and lots of eggshells, probably took care of that

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Wait who caused the insanity things to actually manifest in reality?

I'm not really getting the whole 'no really those black slime birds are actually physical things lol ok time to move on with the plot bye' stuff going on. I was along for the ride while all the weirdness had a source: The monk, Farouk or David. But apparently it doesn't matter where the birds came from? What? Does no one care that a giant oil bird manifested in reality? No one? Help?

I feel like i've just watched something supposed to be symbolic only it was literal. And I don't know how to handle it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Up until the moment they revealed Fukuyama's face I reckoned he was using the Shadow King's body and the delusions were put there by evil-David to prevent the SK from reclaiming his body and stopping him. I still think Fukuyama could be the SK's body, just post-bodygun change.

Hell, I'm still not certain all this isn't happening in David's head and literally every non-David character isn't just a manifestation of his fractured psyche.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

n3wt posted:

edit: I think Oliver's plan to kill Farouk is simply to watch him take on David. Farouk might be smarter and more willing to hurt people but we now know that David can not just bend reality but move around the multi-verse. Pride before the fall and all...

You have to remember that Oliver remembered his wife just before making the threat. His riddle was: What is one plus one?

I really wanted to link to Robert Miles but hey its the delusion thread. No need for 90's cheese.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Serf posted:

Hell, I'm still not certain all this isn't happening in David's head and literally every non-David character isn't just a manifestation of his fractured psyche.

While manifestations are a thing for the character, they wouldn't put two seasons of emotional weight behind characters that aren't there. I don't think they're antagonistic to the viewers like that (compared to lost, for example).

I'm still figuring out how the shadow king figured out to astro-project into the future. I though Syd brought David into future while being in kiddy pool Cerebro.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

incoherent posted:

I'm still figuring out how the shadow king figured out to astro-project into the future. I though Syd brought David into future while being in kiddy pool Cerebro.

My take was that he hotboxed a car with that freaky blue smoke drug in order to enhance his powers/break reality.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Oliver's riddle, I don't recall seeing discussion here about what it meant. Anyone with theories? Probably something to do with combining body and mind? Farouk seemed to "get it", with his little chuckle.

Serf
May 5, 2011

incoherent posted:

While manifestations are a thing for the character, they wouldn't put two seasons of emotional weight behind characters that aren't there. I don't think they're antagonistic to the viewers like that (compared to lost, for example).

I think one of the core themes of the show is that it doesn't matter whether something is happening in the "real" world or just on the mental plane, it still matters.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Laterite posted:

Speaking of Oliver's riddle, I don't recall seeing discussion here about what it meant. Anyone with theories? Probably something to do with combining body and mind? Farouk seemed to "get it", with his little chuckle.

I don't think Farouk understood it. Some hypotheses:

1) Hubris: what is 1+1 is rather obvious. In this sense, Oliver means that is a pretty much natural conclusion that Farouk is going to get himself owned hard because he fundamentally doesn't get it how powerful David even after all those years in his head. Farouk went all last ditch effort to lock him down in a corner of his mind as a last resort in season one, only for David to spontaneously manifest a splinter personality that got their poo poo together pretty quick.

2) David is Legion: 1+1 is not equal 2 if David has, well, multiple personalities. Farouk ultimately can't have his powers without David being the "core" aspect keeping it together, because as per season one if he tries to destroy David's mind another personality simply comes up more than capable of loving up the shadow king.

3) The whole is more than the sum of its parts: just because you get David's body doesn't mean you are getting his powers, or that the Shadow King getting his own back means he can be all-powerful. Indeed, Xavier kicked his rear end when he had a body, so what stops David from doing so again only this time much harder?

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, I didn't get the impression Farouk "got it." I think his chuckle was just him reacting to what he perceived as an idle threat

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Laterite posted:

Nah, he was humoring Oliver. He's not going to bother playing guessing games with his chauffeur. My guess is that Oliver's going to kill himself after Farouk's body is destroyed to put an end to him once and for all.

Also, I assume everyone else saw the "Future Syd drifting away into Present Syd" effect with the circles? Maybe they fixed the future by discovering the insanity goo :shobon:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dead comedy forums posted:

I don't think Farouk understood it. Some hypotheses:

1) Hubris: what is 1+1 is rather obvious. In this sense, Oliver means that is a pretty much natural conclusion that Farouk is going to get himself owned hard because he fundamentally doesn't get it how powerful David even after all those years in his head. Farouk went all last ditch effort to lock him down in a corner of his mind as a last resort in season one, only for David to spontaneously manifest a splinter personality that got their poo poo together pretty quick.

2) David is Legion: 1+1 is not equal 2 if David has, well, multiple personalities. Farouk ultimately can't have his powers without David being the "core" aspect keeping it together, because as per season one if he tries to destroy David's mind another personality simply comes up more than capable of loving up the shadow king.

3) The whole is more than the sum of its parts: just because you get David's body doesn't mean you are getting his powers, or that the Shadow King getting his own back means he can be all-powerful. Indeed, Xavier kicked his rear end when he had a body, so what stops David from doing so again only this time much harder?

None of these work imo, because they're all based around David killing Farouk. Oliver's threat was that he would kill Farouk. I really like Chokes McGee's guess, it works with the riddle too: Oliver is one, Farouk is one, but together they don't make two. They're still just one, which Oliver can kill.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

None of these work imo, because they're all based around David killing Farouk. Oliver's threat was that he would kill Farouk. I really like Chokes McGee's guess, it works with the riddle too: Oliver is one, Farouk is one, but together they don't make two. They're still just one, which Oliver can kill.

aaah, good catch - I didn't think he meant himself literally, though, but it is a valid counterpoint anyway.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wafflecopper posted:

Precisely. [Sixth Doctor smugface]

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I actually expected the Admiral to turn out to be Farouks body.

Though David being the one to destroy the world seems a little too cliche for this show. It feels weird.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

twistedmentat posted:

I actually expected the Admiral to turn out to be Farouks body.

Though David being the one to destroy the world seems a little too cliche for this show. It feels weird.
Future Syd is an unreliable narrator. Farouk's interactions with her show that she is "real" but she could have some reason for lying to one or both of them; some 11th dimensional chess like "I had to tell Farouk that he was the hero and that he had to stop David in order to get Farouk to do <x> which actually leads to Farouk's destruction" is very possible. It's also possible Farouk and David are interacting with different Future Syd's from slightly different timelines, one where David destroys the world and the other where something else does, but I don't think that's very likely.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Wait who caused the insanity things to actually manifest in reality?

I'm not really getting the whole 'no really those black slime birds are actually physical things lol ok time to move on with the plot bye' stuff going on. I was along for the ride while all the weirdness had a source: The monk, Farouk or David. But apparently it doesn't matter where the birds came from? What? Does no one care that a giant oil bird manifested in reality? No one? Help?

I feel like i've just watched something supposed to be symbolic only it was literal. And I don't know how to handle it.
Our introduction to the black slime birds was in episode 1 in a Jon Hamm monologue in which Aubrey Plaza (not necessarily Lenny) handles one. The first real-world evidence of the ink bird ants was in episode 2. David went into the tank and really talked with Future Syd for the first time, then Clark and David talked in the diner, and we got a brief shot of a black slime trail leading into David's room. So I think the most likely possibility is Farouk unleashed it off-screen during the attack, but I'm not wedded to that; it could just as well be a side effect of David's tank adventure.

edit: The slime trail could have been leading from David's room which would jive with it being the product of his unconscious mind. Also the slime birds ultimately wanted to kill the Admiral who was antagonizing David earlier in ep 2.

Personally, the weirdest fuckin' thing is the cow in episode 3. After they rescue Ptonomy from his garden they find a cow just chilling in the hallway, then after they rescue Melanie the cow is in the lab. Who is teleporting a cow around Division 3? It's not something David is consciously doing, it's not the style of Farouk or the monk, so either David did it unconsciously (in both cases it was moved while David was in someone else's mind) or some unknown entity was engaging in random ninja monkey cheese.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 18, 2018

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I haven’t read the comics where they appear but is it possible the delusion creatures are this show’s take on The Brood?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still want to know about the pointing fists.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Personally, the weirdest fuckin' thing is the cow in episode 3. After they rescue Ptonomy from his garden they find a cow just chilling in the hallway, then after they rescue Melanie the cow is in the lab. Who is teleporting a cow around Division 3? It's not something David is consciously doing, it's not the style of Farouk or the monk, so either David did it unconsciously (in both cases it was moved while David was in someone else's mind) or some unknown entity was engaging in random ninja monkey cheese.

Turns out Oliver is a raw milk enthusiast.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i hope we find out where the sludge monsters came from and its not just dropped or whatever

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

GreenNight posted:

I still want to know about the pointing fists.

The green pointy hands and the cow feel now just like random for the sake of it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Did we ever find out about the grassy guy and his whole deal from S1?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Nevvy Z posted:

Did we ever find out about the grassy guy and his whole deal from S1?

He was in a mental institution, his 'deal' was sorta implied

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I am so, so glad that Fukuyama wasn't secretly evil or another character in disguise and is just a weird dude.

Also my interpretation of the giant slimebird monster was that whatever those things are are the real world-ending threat that Syd has been saying they need Farouk for, and that they've been straight up showing them to us all season and we just thought they were visual metaphors. Especially if David really is the one who winds up destroying the world, an evil insanity parasite seems like exactly the thing that would turn the world's most powerful psychic from a force of good to a one-man apocalypse.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I think Farouk created the delusion monsters as a fail safe. So if David does defeat him, the delusion festers and grows until a point in the future Syd (and ostensibly Kerry) are convinced they need the Shadow King alive to fight off David.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

swickles posted:

I think Farouk created the delusion monsters as a fail safe. So if David does defeat him, the delusion festers and grows until a point in the future Syd (and ostensibly Kerry) are convinced they need the Shadow King alive to fight off David.

I love this show. :allears:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The show nocebo'd us into making the delusion monsters real.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Taear posted:

The green pointy hands and the cow feel now just like random for the sake of it.
IMO the cow is different. The show stopped and all of the characters commented on the cow twice, highlighting it's weirdness. The hands were (probably) just background aesthetics.

I'm planting my flag on Butterfly Theory: Is he a butterfly dreaming he's a man or is he a man dreaming he's a butterfly? Something - maybe David, maybe a future David, maybe a different entity, but not Farouk - is also using his powers. The show has explicitly shown us David hearing voices in his head. Like in episode 2 when he's talking with Cary:

CARY: You want something?
DAVID: I need more help finding Farouk.
DAVID in his head from the left channel: Liar.
DAVID LOOKS TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN and a David voice in his head says from the right channel: SHUT UP SHUT UP
David: Some modifications to the tank
CARY: Do I look like the fix-it guy? Or any guy? I'm the X-chromosome rear end kicker. Or maybe you missed the part where there was an arm sticking out of my stomach.
DAVID from left channel: TELL HER the truth
DAVID: Unless
DAVID from right channel: You need to talk to Syd, Future Syd!
DAVID from left channel: Is that - did you just give her a nickname?
DAVID from right channel: She's looking at us! Say something!

The show has straight-up let us repeatedly hear voices in David's head give him advice and tell him to do things this season - David who has a history of having problems with voices in his head using his powers - and have arguments. So I'm calling it: The black insanity birds, the cow, possibly the green hands, they're all the doing of the Head David's who can only use David's powers (which are genetic/physical) when his primary mind is elsewhere or maybe just asleep. When Farouk finally gets a chance to take over David's body he's going to find himself fighting a Legion of Head David's.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 18, 2018

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Taear posted:

Didn't someone at the time point out that, in the context of the Jon Hamm bit about red/green and stop/go, green fingers pointing at David would basically mean "Stop him"? Just imagine the pointy hands are red, and they make sense with what we've seen so far: David is dangerous.

The cow is actually a white horse. You're just watching it wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, you really need to pay attention to the narration. It absolutely impacts what we see and how we should be interpreting it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gobbeldygook posted:

IMO the cow is different. The show stopped and all of the characters commented on the cow twice, highlighting it's weirdness. The hands were (probably) just background aesthetics.

I'm planting my flag on Butterfly Theory: Is he a butterfly dreaming he's a man or is he a man dreaming he's a butterfly? Something - maybe David, maybe a future David, maybe a different entity, but not Farouk - is also using his powers. The show has explicitly shown us David hearing voices in his head. Like in episode 2 when he's talking with Cary:

CARY: You want something?
DAVID: I need more help finding Farouk.
DAVID in his head from the left channel: Liar.
DAVID LOOKS TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN and a David voice in his head says from the right channel: SHUT UP SHUT UP
David: Some modifications to the tank
CARY: Do I look like the fix-it guy? Or any guy? I'm the X-chromosome rear end kicker. Or maybe you missed the part where there was an arm sticking out of my stomach.
DAVID from left channel: TELL HER the truth
DAVID: Unless
DAVID from right channel: You need to talk to Syd, Future Syd!
DAVID from left channel: Is that - did you just give her a nickname?
DAVID from right channel: She's looking at us! Say something!

The show has straight-up let us repeatedly hear voices in David's head give him advice and tell him to do things this season - David who has a history of having problems with voices in his head using his powers - and have arguments. So I'm calling it: The black insanity birds, the cow, possibly the green hands, they're all the doing of the Head David's who can only use David's powers (which are genetic/physical) when his primary mind is elsewhere or maybe just asleep. When Farouk finally gets a chance to take over David's body he's going to find himself fighting a Legion of Head David's.

The Legion of Head Davids is my new metal band and I'll thank you not to doxx it

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pussy Quipped posted:

The show nocebo'd us into making the delusion monsters real.

read, vomited, voted 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I appreciate all the thought you guys are putting in to making some sort of sense of this show, because thee is no way I could come up with any of that. One of the biggest highlights for me so far has been the comic book covers they made for the moral panic intro sequence. Really nice touch with the yellow eyed monster.
I just watch this show to take it all in as a work of art, and have faith that by the end of the season, it might make some kind of sense.