Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't figure out why the compass wasn't working for me.

apparently its a charm and i have to equip it. lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'll miss you, Cloth :(

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OzFactor posted:

Haha, I am slapping myself in the face for spending the better part of an hour here luring bees over so I could bounce off of them. This is much easier!

Yeeah that was my solution too, except it was “respawn everything in the room and turn it into a clusterfuck of enemies to vault off of” and also nearly die from that

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Your Computer posted:

cheers :shobon:

Obviously everyone enjoys these sorts of games differently so I'm not trying to police anything here. I'm personally really glad I played it completely and utterly blind (I agree with Andrast that there is no wrong way to go) but I know a lot of people like to beeline for upgrades and stuff ASAP.

spoilers ahoy
it's also funny how much stuff is actually optional. I didn't get the double jump until I had cleared out like 98% of the map because I used pogoing to get to places. It's also funny to see people who somehow go around the entire map in the most roundabout way, like the person who mentioned going to the City of Tears from Deepnest -> Tram -> Ancient Basin -> Tram -> Kingdom's Edge -> City of Tears instead of just... going through the front gate. Everyone's experience is different and that's wonderful!

I followed the path in your spoiler, because the upgrade you'd normally use to go in the gate was one of the last ones I got. Or maybe the actual last movement upgrade I got, I don't remember.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

White Palace was fun, though I'm unsure if I'll be able to beat Nightmare King Grimm or Soul Tyrant. Dream bosses do not gently caress around.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

White Palace was fun, though I'm unsure if I'll be able to beat Nightmare King Grimm or Soul Tyrant. Dream bosses do not gently caress around.

Of course I understand that different things are difficult for different people, but I personally believe the second boss you mentioned is the easiest of the dream bosses. Keep at it! Particularly if you've defeated the others, you should get it eventually.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nephzinho posted:

One nice thing about dream bosses is that dying in them doesn't count as a real death, so you can use the fragile charms without worry.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dancer posted:

Of course I understand that different things are difficult for different people, but I personally believe the second boss you mentioned is the easiest of the dream bosses. Keep at it! Particularly if you've defeated the others, you should get it eventually.

I only tried him like twice. I've beaten two or three others already.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I'm a little bummed that I didn't realize that going the banishment route for the Grimm Troupe means you don't get to do the Nightmare King fight. I guess in hindsight I should've figured it might not be a good idea but I didn't expect a dlc to completely lock you out of one of the marquee boss fights.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

I'm a little bummed that I didn't realize that going the banishment route for the Grimm Troupe means you don't get to do the Nightmare King fight. I guess in hindsight I should've figured it might not be a good idea but I didn't expect a dlc to completely lock you out of one of the marquee boss fights.

You can also be locked out of equally "big deal" boss fight Dream Zote. Make sure you don't let him die.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

PantsBandit posted:

I'll miss you, Cloth :(

It's okay, it's what she wanted. Her dream nail dialogue indicates she wanted to die an honorable death so she could meet her dead lover with pride in the afterlife, if you don't muster up her courage in ancient basin/deepnest she just chills in Dirtmouth with regret at her own cowardice :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dancer posted:

You can also be locked out of equally "big deal" boss fight Dream Zote. Make sure you don't let him die.

Yeah, I'm good on that front. I actually just finished fighting him for the 4th time. It was tough but worth it to get Bretta away from his insipid babbling.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zaggitz posted:

It's okay, it's what she wanted. Her dream nail dialogue indicates she wanted to die an honorable death so she could meet her dead lover with pride in the afterlife, if you don't muster up her courage in ancient basin/deepnest she just chills in Dirtmouth with regret at her own cowardice :(

I thought she didn't realize she's dead.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Broken Cog posted:

I thought she didn't realize she's dead.

If you dream nail her when she survives: "Nola, I'm coming. More challenging foes are out there, somewhere, but none in this ruin could take me to you..."

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pigbuster posted:

One nice thing about dream bosses is that dying in them doesn't count as a real death, so you can use the fragile charms without worry.
Dream bosses are a real :master: imo

They push the difficulty really hard compared to the main game, but they're completely optional and because of the mechanics they don't incur any penalty. No corpse run, no broken charms, just a straight up challenge that you can try as much as you'd like. I still remember fondly my first fight with the champ :allears:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Also for what its worth I think the game strikes a good balance between happy, sad and bittersweet endings to npc quests. Some of the endings can be a bit gloomy but there's enough hope sprinkled in there with characters like Quirrel, the Stag, Cornifer and his wife, and the Nailsmith/Nailmasters(if you aren't a monster) to make it feel like you are still doing some net good in this world and that maybe it's not beyond saving.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Dream bosses are a real :master: imo

They push the difficulty really hard compared to the main game, but they're completely optional and because of the mechanics they don't incur any penalty. No corpse run, no broken charms, just a straight up challenge that you can try as much as you'd like. I still remember fondly my first fight with the champ :allears:

Technically they're not completely optional, if you care about % completion :v: . But otherwise, yes I 100% agree.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've been playing this every spare minute I get on Switch since it came out and I'm loving it. It's been so long since I've had my controller dripping wet with sweat (I still can't do the dashing thorn bit of Greenway

Also I love every single bug I've met so far. Their voices are brilliant

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm like probably 1/3rd of the way into the game and really liking it, and not sure if I should also get the switch version? I have the PC version and it's great. I can play with a gamepad on the couch. I just, IDK. Is the switch version super good?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

redreader posted:

I'm like probably 1/3rd of the way into the game and really liking it, and not sure if I should also get the switch version? I have the PC version and it's great. I can play with a gamepad on the couch. I just, IDK. Is the switch version super good?

The Switch version is pretty much perfect

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
i bought both. switch is perfect so far

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zaggitz posted:

and the Nailsmith/Nailmasters(if you aren't a monster)

The only monster is the person who uses the nailsmith and just ignores his last request :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The only monster is the person who uses the nailsmith and just ignores his last request :colbert:

no, i'm pretty sure it's still the person who takes advantage of a lone weirdo's moment of vulnerability and ends their life

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Johnny Joestar posted:

no, i'm pretty sure it's still the person who takes advantage of a lone weirdo's moment of vulnerability and ends their life

I did that because I didn't realize there was another option. Sorry guy! :(

Gives me another excuse to do a second playthrough though...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so I stumbled into a new zone and I don't have a map, I died, and I'm way turned around. Is the best thing to just keep wandering around until I find map guy?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

so I stumbled into a new zone and I don't have a map, I died, and I'm way turned around. Is the best thing to just keep wandering around until I find map guy?
I've said this a few times already in regards to Hollow Knight, but it feels like the developers expect you to explore radially rather than linearly. In other words, from where you begin try to explore outwards instead of just picking a direction and running. The map guy isn't really hidden, but if you just walk in a direction until you hit a wall, you might never run into him.

I understand not everyone enjoys though, and it does mean some backtracking :( Generally you'll find him near the entrance of an area - look for papers on the ground and the sound of humming.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

I've said this a few times already in regards to Hollow Knight, but it feels like the developers expect you to explore radially rather than linearly. In other words, from where you begin try to explore outwards instead of just picking a direction and running. The map guy isn't really hidden, but if you just walk in a direction until you hit a wall, you might never run into him.

I understand not everyone enjoys though, and it does mean some backtracking :( Generally you'll find him near the entrance of an area - look for papers on the ground and the sound of humming.

One exception is the waterways, where he's all the way to the left, and Fog Canyon, which is a fairly straightforward area but he's specifically in a spot you won't be able to reach for most of the game.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Pigbuster posted:

One exception is the waterways, where he's all the way to the left, and Fog Canyon, which is a fairly straightforward area but he's specifically in a spot you won't be able to reach for most of the game.

Also in Deepnest he's very early on but he's scared hiding so you can't track him from his humming.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pigbuster posted:

I spent so long after seeing him over there that his map just ended up in his wife's shop. I'm always happy to hear his happy little hum though :kimchi:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cornifer is Cartographer Cate from DS2 :: Game Theory

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pigbuster posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, most of the obstacle/upgrade paths seem obvious (wall jump for tall holes, airdash for gaps, ground pound for suspicious floors etc) but I hadn't the foggiest loving idea how to deal with the column of swirling liquid void nothingness.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I got an ending today. Game good

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The Soul Sanctum can gently caress itself.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

The Soul Sanctum can gently caress itself.

Was so happy when I finally cleared the Soul Master. That guy and his double teleport bullshit can go straight to hell.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I thought that area was an endgame zone and put it off as long as possible, getting just about every other upgrade possible before finally going through the front door. :shepface:

Made Soul Master totally trivial, at least.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I dunked on Soul Master. Cleared the fight on my first shot. It was a really fun fight lol!

I'm hoping this spell does what I think it'll do to open some more paths.

Edit: good goddamn I regret noticing his body was glowing.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 20, 2018

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Something that took me a while to realize is that you can do the dive while standing on the ground (the knight hops up a short way and immediately slams back down) and that it has a huge number of invincibility frames. You're invulnerable for all but the very start of dive and for a long time after the impact.

It also does a lot of damage, descending dark wrecks enemies.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Unless I'm mistaken, the i-frames have actually been nerfed from release. Still broken tho.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

With all the multiple ending talk, is this the type of thing I'm gonna miss parts of the game by stumbling on? Or is it pretty clear cut an ending is coming/can I go back and redo stuff. Planning On doing as much as I can in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

There is a very obvious gateway to the ending that you can turn back from, and even if you do go through and beat the final boss you can go back to your save and it'll put you back at the threshold right before the fight.

The only thing you can miss this way is one minor variation of the ending sequence if you unlock the final final boss before ever fighting the regular final boss.