Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I also found a black border Underground Sea from the German edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Well, ultimately you just need to decide if you want to play with these cards or not. If you're going to play with them, you can easily just use the lands in commander decks and maybe try and build something in Vintage, or you could even just go way back and find some people who play Old School 93/94 and try that format out.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd suggest just selling them and buying something non-Magic related.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If you had the few thousand dollars those cards are worth and would do anything other than buy those dual lands, you should sell them.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I also found a black border Underground Sea from the German edition.

Black-bordered duals (esp. Underground Sea) are worth beaucoup bucks. You could probably bankroll most of a modern deck on that Underground Sea alone.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

evilweasel posted:

If you had the few thousand dollars those cards are worth and would do anything other than buy those dual lands, you should sell them.

This is exactly what I think the right answer is for me. I do appreciate all the feedback from everyone else, too. I will probably keep the Tundra for sentimental value and sell all the rest and payoff a credit card.

I've heard too many horror stories about selling on EBay so I will check my local store and compare to buy lists and go from there.

^^is the black border German Underground Sea worth grading?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

I can go to one of three different stores around me within a half hour and buy them for $2 each. I don't think you live in the middle of nowhere, IIRC, have you tried stores around you? Even sports card hobby shops could carry them.

I'm gonna do that. I just love buying stuff online but I don't think this is one of those items where you should.

I really want to post the deck I had in the top 8 draft of this PPTQ over the weekend that I thought was unbeatable and then promptly lost to one stupid card...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
We also have a thread in SA Mart for buying and selling cards, there are a few goons in there who run their own card stores who might be interested in those duals.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is exactly what I think the right answer is for me. I do appreciate all the feedback from everyone else, too. I will probably keep the Tundra for sentimental value and sell all the rest and payoff a credit card.

I've heard too many horror stories about selling on EBay so I will check my local store and compare to buy lists and go from there.

The credit card would have been good to know from the beginning. Pay that poo poo off man, and feel blessed your childhood games saved you as an adult.

If you really want to get back into magic without a large sum of money to put into it I would suggest playing some drafts at a local game store to see if you like it, because the money investment is going to be about 13 dollars.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Question for judges: if I'm making infinite mana and then use it to activate a duskwatch recruiter infinitely, pulling all creatures from my deck, can I shortcut by just looking through my deck? Do I "know" my deck order at this point, allowing me to stack my deck essentially since I can put three back in any order and repeat until I've stacked the entire deck? I guess the only issue being if my deck has a number of cards left divisible by 3 so I'd see the same 3 as the deck looped around.

I know when I make infinite scrys with viscera seer I can shortcut by just picking the deck up and cutting to the card I want on top. I just want to make sure I shortcut correctly with recruiter as I test the new infinite mana combo in abzan company.

You can't stack the deck. You are still going through it 3 cards at a time, so in comp rel you will need to look at 3 cards at a time considering they have to be placed on the bottom in chunks of 2 or 3 as you draw them.

That being said if you are going to draw all the creatures you should be able to thumb through it and grab them all as long as you leave the rest in the exact same order they are currently.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 1, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is it possible to make another competitive deck that's like four horsemen with whatever new card you guys are talking about? Statistically will win sometime before the heat death of the universe, but you just don't know when.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You can't stack the deck. You are still going through it 3 cards at a time, so in comp rel you will need to look at 3 cards at a time considering they have to be placed on the bottom in chunks of 2 or 3 as you draw them.

That being said if you are going to draw all the creatures you should be able to thumb through it and grab them all as long as you leave the rest in the exact same order they are currently.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgjudge/comments/65shq1/duskwatch_recruiter_infinite_activations_shortcut/dgdnb1b/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Chill la Chill posted:

Is it possible to make another competitive deck that's like four horsemen with whatever new card you guys are talking about? Statistically will win sometime before the heat death of the universe, but you just don't know when.

Yes, but it involves a lot of nitro glycerin and a can-do attitude.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I tested out Bloodseeker but I think Bloodrage is better, especially against some of the beefier aggro decks popping up recently. And rarely do I have to pitch anything that I regret later. Posted my list below, although the sideboard is just what I threw together offhand and definitely needs some work. I'm on the fence about the Flameblade Adept; the menace and p/t are useful early but they're really dead late game except to pitch.

// 60 Maindeck
// 1 Artifact
1 Key to the City

// 23 Creature
4 Noose Constrictor
3 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Honored Hydra
4 Insolent Neonate
4 Bloodrage Brawler
4 Flameblade Adept

// 14 Spells
4 Fiery Temper
4 Lightning Axe
4 Tormenting Voice
2 Insult

// 22 Land
8 Mountain
6 Forest
4 Game Trail
4 Cinder Glade

// 15 Sideboard
// 3 Creature
SB: 3 Manglehorn
SB: 3 Heaven
SB: 4 Magma Spray
SB: 3 Kari Zev's Expertise
SB: 2 By Force

This is super similar to the list I've been testing. My deck is -4 Tormenting Voice -1 Key for 3 Rhonas, a Geier Reach Sanitarium and another Mountain. And I have a set of Tireless Tracker in the board for control matches.

Adding Rhonas made it feel approx 100 times better. Even if your opponent answers every other thing you play, curving Rhonas->Hazoret is just disgusting if you've executed any amount of your discard plan. You also have to mulligan aggressively and be careful where you pitch your hand, but I've been beating up all my play group's decks with it. Admittedly not tested against Mardu yet.

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 1, 2017

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Alris posted:

Is there any information out there on prerelease / set release dates for the next 12-24 months? Even if there aren't actual names attached to the dates.

Hour of Devastation
Prerelease Events: July 8-9, 2017
Release Date: July 14, 2017

Ixalan
Prerelease Events: September 23-24, 2017
Release Date: September 29, 2017

that's as far out as they've announced yet, there will be more announcements in June.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Huh. Amonkhet just came out and Hour is out in two months.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Thanks for this link. Going to save it in case this ever comes up. It's probably not relevant 95% of the time since pulling all of your creatures means you're likely winning but sometimes I might need to stack the sideboard paths or something on top.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

Eleven weeks between Amonkhet and Hour of Devastation. Then another eleven weeks between Hour of Devastation and Ixalan.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Ugh, got the bundle and I don't think I have anything I can really build around. I got a decent bunch of white, Gideon, a ton of exert stuff, the Zombie super enchantment and the blue god, and then a bunch of bits and pieces. I'll see what I can do.

The lore book is cool tho.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

They haven't really updated their release schedule yet since they went to the two-block model - it used to be that the 3rd set and core set got slightly shorter runs which makes more sense than an entire block getting a shorter run. They'll probably fix this at some point.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Thanks for this link. Going to save it in case this ever comes up. It's probably not relevant 95% of the time since pulling all of your creatures means you're likely winning but sometimes I might need to stack the sideboard paths or something on top.

Yeah, the general rule is that if you can say "I do it 1000 times and the gamestate after that is this" then you can take that shortcut. If it's something like four horsemen combo where the result you want takes a probabilistic number of iterations (shuffling your deck over and over until it's properly arranged) then that's not shortcuttable.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tales of Woe posted:

They haven't really updated their release schedule yet since they went to the two-block model - it used to be that the 3rd set and core set got slightly shorter runs which makes more sense than an entire block getting a shorter run. They'll probably fix this at some point.

I'm pretty sure they've been going Big set 4 months, Small set 2 months since Battle for Zendikar.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Kind of a odd request here.

So I won an Amazon Giftcard at work for $25.00 but there is nothing really I want to buy on Amazon so is anyone interested in a trading MTGO tickets for the giftcard? I guess I should have put this in the SA-Mart thread?

edit: posted both places

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Like I said before, I'm interested in some of the duals, specifically the Plateaus. Selling to a store is easiest but you'll be lucky to get 60% of what they sell for. Ebay and the like is annoying but you'll get close to what they're worth. I usually try to sell to goons or Facebook groups first. They're low hassle and you end up with ~90% of the card's value.

Generally, nothing is worth grading unless it's in extensive good condition, which I kinda doubt a pile of cards in a closet from 20 years ago would be. I don't know how much it costs to get it graded but you have to consider that too.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Like I said before, I'm interested in some of the duals, specifically the Plateaus. Selling to a store is easiest but you'll be lucky to get 60% of what they sell for. Ebay and the like is annoying but you'll get close to what they're worth. I usually try to sell to goons or Facebook groups first. They're low hassle and you end up with ~90% of the card's value.

Generally, nothing is worth grading unless it's in extensive good condition, which I kinda doubt a pile of cards in a closet from 20 years ago would be. I don't know how much it costs to get it graded but you have to consider that too.

Cool, I sent you a PM.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
For this season especially, I wish the PPTQs weren't like 90% standard and 10% Limited.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

I don't really play standard ever, but I kind of want to make a janky deck around 4x Tree of Perdition, 4x Soul Separator and 4x Illusory Wrappings. And, uh, Shock I guess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

For this season especially, I wish the PPTQs weren't like 90% standard and 10% Limited.

Can confirm, limited is pretty good. Definitely more lines of play this time around.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

My experience so far in this limited format is that people keep playing low land counts and tons of cyclers and then they have to spend their first couple turns cycling to make their land drops while I beat them to death with 2-drops. Don't do this. Cycling is a failsafe, not an invitation to skimp on lands.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

My experience so far in this limited format is that people keep playing low land counts and tons of cyclers and then they have to spend their first couple turns cycling to make their land drops while I beat them to death with 2-drops. Don't do this. Cycling is a failsafe, not an invitation to skimp on lands.
Yea, people get confused- this format isn't one where you can just screw around. The aggressive decks are definitely powerful - exert is very good at giving you reach. There's just a lot of diversity of decks in general- linear decks, modular decks, aggro decks, control decks.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
So I played in the SCG Modern Classic this weekend and had a pretty interesting revelation upon speaking with my opponents. Almost all of them (and several tablemates) had drove 2-5 hours just to come play in the Modern Classic. None of them were guys that scrubbed out on Saturday and stuck around to play more. Further, they all had come the night before (since the tourney started at 9 AM) so they were paying for hotel rooms too.

For me the even was only on the other side of town so a pretty easy drive at 8 AM on a Sunday, but I was stunned there were so many people willing to spend so much time/money to play in a tournament that only rewarded prize wall tickets. I don't know if it reflects poorly on them, or well on SCG that they're running the right events. Oh, and the Modern event was like 25% bigger than the Standard Classic (not day 2 of the open).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FordCQC posted:

So I played in the SCG Modern Classic this weekend and had a pretty interesting revelation upon speaking with my opponents. Almost all of them (and several tablemates) had drove 2-5 hours just to come play in the Modern Classic. None of them were guys that scrubbed out on Saturday and stuck around to play more. Further, they all had come the night before (since the tourney started at 9 AM) so they were paying for hotel rooms too.

For me the even was only on the other side of town so a pretty easy drive at 8 AM on a Sunday, but I was stunned there were so many people willing to spend so much time/money to play in a tournament that only rewarded prize wall tickets. I don't know if it reflects poorly on them, or well on SCG that they're running the right events. Oh, and the Modern event was like 25% bigger than the Standard Classic (not day 2 of the open).

Drove 2-5 hours to play Modern for lovely prices too. People love modern.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Drove 2-5 hours to play Modern for lovely prices too. People love modern.

It's a good format.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

FordCQC posted:

I mean, it's not really all that different from driving to play in a GP. If you like to play Modern and there are no tournaments near you then you have to travel.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

St0rmD posted:

I don't really play standard ever, but I kind of want to make a janky deck around 4x Tree of Perdition, 4x Soul Separator and 4x Illusory Wrappings. And, uh, Shock I guess.

Saffron Olive found.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

FordCQC posted:

I did that for the Worcester modern open (except replace hotel room with waking up at 5:45). Good competition is hard to come by. Sure the prizing is a joke but that's true for any convention-center size event.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Tales of Woe posted:

Except when your limited pool is 3 drake havens. Then cycle away. WHHHEEEEEEEEEE

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

little munchkin posted:

I did that for the Worcester modern open (except replace hotel room with waking up at 5:45). Good competition is hard to come by. Sure the prizing is a joke but that's true for any convention-center size event.

Yeah I guess I didn't look at it that way. We're pretty spoiled in the greater Atlanta metro area for options to play Magic.

As a side note, take a look at this spicy meatball from the classic: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=113271

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Only 1 Death's Shadow in the top 32...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

FordCQC posted:

Yeah I guess I didn't look at it that way. We're pretty spoiled in the greater Atlanta metro area for options to play Magic.

As a side note, take a look at this spicy meatball from the classic: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=113271

that builds been going around for a while

sun titan -> get back saheeli -> clone sun titan, attack with hasted clone -> get two more things back seems like pretty good value to me

also skred red in the finals maybe people will start respecting as an actual deck now they won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FordCQC posted:

I wish I had this kind of motivation. I live within walking distance of my current LGS and don't know if I would go as often as I do if it wasn't so close. And poo poo, I'm tired on weekends and the last thing I want to do sometimes is drive somewhere to think all day.