Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jit bull transpile posted:

I settled on giving orphan black a try. I don't think anything is gonna scratch that swamp soap opera itch that true blood has created.

Get tested bitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
hows your rear end recovery? idk what i would do if i couldn't sit on me rear end

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

hows your rear end recovery? idk what i would do if i couldn't sit on me rear end

Tedious. 4 weeks to go.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

do you have a standing desk or anything for computotron and shitposting, at least? (or did you not go home after the surgery yet, i forget)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

do you have a standing desk or anything for computotron and shitposting, at least? (or did you not go home after the surgery yet, i forget)

I'm working from home.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I settled on giving orphan black a try. I don't think anything is gonna scratch that swamp soap opera itch that true blood has created.
It's much better than True Blood.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

evil_bunnY posted:

You literally can’t put yourself in their shoes, so just stfu and listen.

Idunno I think this is actually the literal definition of 'empathy' and is entirely possible, it's just really loving hard and scary as hell sometimes

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

swamp soap opera itch

they make a cream for this now

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Idunno I think this is actually the literal definition of 'empathy' and is entirely possible, it's just really loving hard and scary as hell sometimes

it is good to try putting yourself in someone else's shoes to understand how they feel. it is bad to try putting yourself in someone else's shoes to talk over them.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
well yeah, that'd just look silly

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Tedious. 4 weeks to go.

will you ever squat again? :ohdear:

CommunistPancake posted:

it is good to try putting yourself in someone else's shoes to understand how they feel. it is bad to try putting yourself in someone else's shoes to talk over them.

i really empathize with ppl who have small shoes. im like "holy poo poo how can you live like this? your feet must hurt all the time"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Not everyone has giant monster feet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

People can try to empathize. They can't literally know our experiences, and quite frankly fear, danger, and alienation are a huge part of the queer experience that your average white cishet ally cannot possibly comprehend to the degree that we live with every day.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

People can try to empathize. They can't literally know our experiences, and quite frankly fear, danger, and alienation are a huge part of the queer experience that your average white cishet ally cannot possibly comprehend to the degree that we live with every day.
that’s a good articulation of what I meant to say.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
even if I were to manage it, I get to retreat to privilege whenever I need to.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Peeny Cheez posted:

Not everyone has giant monster feet.

I do :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lol I'm a size 15 nobody notices or cares. One of the first things you have to learn is that nobody else notices all the details about yourself that you thunk are definitely giving you away. People don't look that close.

I know that sounds weird coming from the surgery kween of yospos but all that is for me, because that stuff made me feel bad about myself. Nobody else notices and I bet when I get back to work nobody but the couple friends I told will notice at all.

So, if your feet bug you, find or custom order cute shoes to wrap them in. But don't worry about it beyond that.

Also, psa, longtallsally just put up blowfish's spring line and it has some real cute poo poo in size 15. I dropped 400 bux.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i've had the "you're trans?!?" thrown at me. it's really weird because i hear my voice and hear masculine stuff, see my face and see masculine stuff, and then there are other nitpicks too

heck, i can find stubble easily. if you stare at my upper lip you'll find leftover dark hairs

you're going to be far more critical towards yourself than anyone else

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I am in this weird half-place where guys think I'm a guy and other girls think I'm a girl rather consistently, but if I were willing to wear more femme stuff I could probably 'fix' that. my best guess is that women fixate on different details (purse, hair, makeup, glasses style, particular cut of t-shirt/button down/tits) that guys usually don't notice or only parse on a superficial level (literally ignoring all of that and just seeing someone in guy pants, boots, and a loose-fitting outer shirt)

e: i never thought I would say this but I guess I want guys to pay more attention to my tits? 'cause that's what I've got going for me

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 29, 2018

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
nothing to see here

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 3, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

i know the answer now. sorry it took so long.

glad to hear you figured yourself out more :glomp:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
body dysphoria comes in all kinds of types and flavours and it can be really hard to fight that or come to grips with it.

im not trans but I struggle a lot with body dysmorphia and feeling the need to be 'big' in order to feel safe because an abusive childhood. its a lifelong battle but it can get better.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

body dysphoria comes in all kinds of types and flavours and it can be really hard to fight that or come to grips with it.

im not trans but I struggle a lot with body dysmorphia and feeling the need to be 'big' in order to feel safe because an abusive childhood. its a lifelong battle but it can get better.

I get what you're saying, but clinically and socially gender dysphoria and the various body dysmorphias aren't super comparable and it can really muddy the conversation trying to conflate them.

Especially because a lot of trans people who cope with inability to transition through anorexia, excessive working out, etc, get misdiagnosed with body dysmorphia and end up receiving inappropriate and counter productive treatment.

Which is not to deligitimize dysmorphia it's also a serous issue in the queer community (both the anorexia and steroid abuse varieties) and it can even afflict trans people alongside gender dysphoria.

Er, I guess what I'm saying is they both deserve more weight and attention than what they'd get I'd you grouped them together.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle and in glad you are doing better :)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I hope everyone gets help for all the kinds of dysmorphia they have, and can be happy with their bodies.

Also? Butts.

In unrelated news, I'm going to start wearing nail polish to work, so I'm going to need to find some snazzy colours, and I want to find a light and pretty spring coat. Around $100 CAD would be perfect. Amazon and Long Tall Sally's sale sections better WATCH OUT. :D

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

I get what you're saying, but clinically and socially gender dysphoria and the various body dysmorphias aren't super comparable and it can really muddy the conversation trying to conflate them.

Especially because a lot of trans people who cope with inability to transition through anorexia, excessive working out, etc, get misdiagnosed with body dysmorphia and end up receiving inappropriate and counter productive treatment.

Which is not to deligitimize dysmorphia it's also a serous issue in the queer community (both the anorexia and steroid abuse varieties) and it can even afflict trans people alongside gender dysphoria.

Er, I guess what I'm saying is they both deserve more weight and attention than what they'd get I'd you grouped them together.

in a vain attempt to avoid transitioning, i exercised so much that i lost 30 lbs in three months

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lain Iwakura posted:

in a vain attempt to avoid transitioning, i exercised so much that i lost 30 lbs in three months

I lifted weights until I was a freakish muscle beast. I'm still trying to lose the shoulders, but at least I have legs like Beyoncé.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

I lifted weights until I was a freakish muscle beast. I'm still trying to lose the shoulders, but at least I have legs like Beyoncé.

my legs are freaking magical now and derby has toned the hell out of them

just in the past few weeks i've had a few people comment on how my calves are perfect-looking

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Lain Iwakura posted:

my calves are perfect-looking

BULLY RAY DUDLEY!?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that gender dysphoria and body dysmorphia are identical or closely related, I think I misunderstood the original posters intent in explaining their relationship to their body.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
At the risk of sounding weird, I know there are several MTF trans people in YOSPOS, are there any FTM people? I'm curious about their experiences but also I don't want to be weird and intrusive.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

At the risk of sounding weird, I know there are several MTF trans people in YOSPOS, are there any FTM people? I'm curious about their experiences but also I don't want to be weird and intrusive.

Please avoid terms like MTF and FTM. Some trans persons may use it themselves but it isn't for cis people to use at all.

AFAB and AMAB are fine but not those two.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
How do people feel about the Joy Ann Reid controversy?

If her efforts can be seen as anything more than purely personal, I see it as attempting to cover up how common homophobia and public expressions of homophobia were not so long ago, even among nominally progressive people.

I can identify with that myself, as in high school I 1. helped out some gay kids with poo poo they were going through 2. was definitely a homophobe nonetheless.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

prisoner of waffles posted:

How do people feel about the Joy Ann Reid controversy?

If her efforts can be seen as anything more than purely personal, I see it as attempting to cover up how common homophobia and public expressions of homophobia were not so long ago, even among nominally progressive people.

I can identify with that myself, as in high school I 1. helped out some gay kids with poo poo they were going through 2. was definitely a homophobe nonetheless.

The fact that she went to "I was hacked" and tried to throw the internet archive under the bus rather than apologizing and saying she's grown as a person tells me that

a) she actually believed that stuff then, believes it now, and knows it will hurt her career
b) she's not sorry about it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
yeah if she had just apologized then no one would have cared

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lain Iwakura posted:

Please avoid terms like MTF and FTM. Some trans persons may use it themselves but it isn't for cis people to use at all.

What do those abbreviations mean?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

spankmeister posted:

What do those abbreviations mean?

"assigned (male|female) at birth"

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Lain Iwakura posted:

also please don't go into my PMs and tell me that "[A(M|F)AB] don't seem to be correct" if you're cis

i have a good handle on my own stuff and it might be best that you don't try and correct me if you're not trans

(i am leaving out who this is directed at but this is not good form)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lain Iwakura posted:

also please don't go into my PMs and tell me that "[A(M|F)AB] don't seem to be correct" if you're cis

i have a good handle on my own stuff and it might be best that you don't try and correct me if you're not trans

(i am leaving out who this is directed at but this is not good form)

MASKENFREIT GET OUT OF HERE

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that gender dysphoria and body dysmorphia are identical or closely related, I think I misunderstood the original posters intent in explaining their relationship to their body.

it's fine. let's just forget that post exists.

Bunni-kat posted:

The fact that she went to "I was hacked" and tried to throw the internet archive under the bus rather than apologizing and saying she's grown as a person tells me that

a) she actually believed that stuff then, believes it now, and knows it will hurt her career
b) she's not sorry about it.
c) she's real dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Zamujasa posted:

it's fine. let's just forget that post exists.

c) she's real dumb

Yes, also that.