Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i legitimately think it looks like a fun good game. that has a lot to do, though, with the fact that its filled with characters and settings that i deeply enjoy. if it was the same game with just some random orcs and goblins or whatever, i probably wouldn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ShoogaSlim posted:

i legitimately think it looks like a fun good game. that has a lot to do, though, with the fact that its filled with characters and settings that i deeply enjoy. if it was the same game with just some random orcs and goblins or whatever, i probably wouldn't care.

The thing is, that's what the game looks like. Just South Park IP plastered onto some dumb game. It doesn't actually look like it has anything to do with South Park.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Well sure, other than the fact that it clearly takes place within and contains characters from South Park.

I don't know gently caress about poo poo when it comes to games like that so I can't say I know for sure if there's another game it looks or plays exactly like.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

ShoogaSlim posted:

Yea, all the previews seem pretty good game to me and really good fun for a $30 game. I haven't preordered the game though cause of their classic line from the console wars... "You know what you get when you preorder a game, a big dick in your mouth"

Although I might not have much time to play in the spring / summer, I am pretty sure I'll pick the game up on launch day, seems pretty fun for $30. If it was $60, I'd probably pass and wait for a sale though.

There's no such thing as a new game with entirely unique gameplay anymore, that's just a dumb argument. Every game is taking mechanics from others these days. Although I don't know of any games designed to be 4 player coop as the core design, even though it's the one thing I'm apprehensive about.

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 9, 2024

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

ok so i'm at work and won't be able to play it until later but apparently the south park game is a big lovely flop lol

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

ok so i'm at work and won't be able to play it until later but apparently the south park game is a big lovely flop lol

Shocking nobody.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It looked like absolute poo poo. If nothing else South Park translates really badly to 3D. But why abandon the successful formula of the last two, highly praised games for a generic shooter with pseudo-rogue like mechanics?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Quote-Unquote posted:

It looked like absolute poo poo. If nothing else South Park translates really badly to 3D. But why abandon the successful formula of the last two, highly praised games for a generic shooter with pseudo-rogue like mechanics?

i actually really enjoy getting to explore the town in 3D, it provides an interesting perspective not really explored before anywhere outside of the show's new(ish) opening. the problem, though, is they use the "snow day" theme to artificially cutoff access to places you wanna go because of obligatory walls of snow.

the reason they abandoned the formula from the previous two games is basically bc they can't continuously monetize those formulas like they can with this roguelike looter shooter style game. in the intro, cartman talks about how the "new kid" player character got too OP in both previous games, screwing up the balance and necessitating a reset. in this game, there's no way to become OP bc it's all RNG perks during levels or whatever. it might add replayability and keep things interesting for anyone looking for something to just switch on and turn their brain off, but it will eventually get old just like all games of this type do.

nothing about the game is particularly "bad" except for maybe the most important aspect: gameplay/combat. it's so floaty and imprecise. when you attack enemies (kindergartners, in the beginning) they make the most lackluster "ouch" or "you got me! 😐" voices ever, like everyone in the sound booth just got back from lunch and were ready for a nap. the way the audio is mixed in is loving awful, too. either too loud and doesn't blend well with the in-world audio (barely any) or it gets weirdly cut out and doesn't know what direction it's supposed to be coming from. your attacks feel like you're swiping at air even when you're landing hits and it's hard to tell if you're connecting or who you're supposed to be targeting. it's overall kind of a mess and makes any of the actually interesting/fun aspects of the game hard to care about (you get randomized powerup perk cards with illustrations that match the vibe of the show with some deep cuts and funny gags which are charming and what fans would be looking for in a game about the property).

if they can patch some of the lovely combat mechanics it would be worth dicking around the game world just to get the occasional interactive south park fix, but right now it's pretty half baked.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

South Park: The End Of Obesity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJogSKK-3U

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The episode was kind of meandering along but that truck chase sequence in the end was great! The little gag of Randy constantly oggling the midriffs of the MILFs was fun too.

I also almost died at the GPS delivery joke as well; that one really hit home.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whenever I watch the specials I ask myself if anything would’ve really been lost if it was just a regular length episode. Not really seeing anything this time tbh.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

That special was incredibly forgettable.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I liked the bit with "Cry Little Sister"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Whenever I watch the specials I ask myself if anything would’ve really been lost if it was just a regular length episode. Not really seeing anything this time tbh.

I mean they're basically doing these to fulfill a contract obligation so it's not surprising.

This one was ok but they could've done way more with the cereal mascots. All the scenes with them felt like a rough sketch with a note, "add jokes specific to these mascots later".

I was also expecting them to do more with Lizzo. It's funny that Lizzo sounds like a drug brand, but if you had no idea that Lizzo is a musician and what kind of music she makes, the whole joke would be kind of incomprehensible. You don't want to overexplain the joke but you kind of need to just introduce it a little.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 25, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh for sure, they got a great contract and absolutely take advantage of it.

The Lizzo thing was weird as it felt like a Simpsons or Family Guy joke that was written a year in advance that was out of date by the time it aired. I was expecting Lizzo to turn up and be an rear end in a top hat to everyone.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Didn’t they literally say Lizzo is a singer who sings about body positivity the first time they referenced her? I have no idea who she is and I got the joke.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I didn't explain that well at all, basically I just was expecting them to do something a little more concrete with "taking Lizzo", like are they listening to it or what? Just seemed like a missed opportunity for something more imaginative, it was fairly non-sequitur. I definitely didn't want them to do the usual celebrity parody where a caricature of her shows up and does stupid stuff, but just something more than saying "Lizzo" a bunch of times.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

was not expecting the Vennu Mallesh needle drop, hope he got a nice licensing fee from Paramount for that

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Episode was ok, chase scene was good but I did lose it when Mr Twinkie was trying to put his “guts” back in

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I didn't explain that well at all, basically I just was expecting them to do something a little more concrete with "taking Lizzo", like are they listening to it or what? Just seemed like a missed opportunity for something more imaginative, it was fairly non-sequitur. I definitely didn't want them to do the usual celebrity parody where a caricature of her shows up and does stupid stuff, but just something more than saying "Lizzo" a bunch of times.

And in what is usual for modern South Park both left and right seem to take the episode as being wholly on their side. Conservatives feel the message echoes their statements of Lizzo is someone who deserves hate for being an obese black woman with a message of love; while Lizzo herself feels honored that "two guys in Colorado" are aware of her message of "not giving a gently caress".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wouldn't say the episode was being body positive, though I think it's main criticism of Lizzo herself is that her music isn't to their taste.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the main message was simply American Healthcare sucks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think the main message was simply American Healthcare sucks.

It did come with a side of "body positivity is a scam..." which could easily slot into weirdo traditionalist conservative viewpoints, but the second half of that sentiment was "...because it's mostly pushed by people who can afford way better health care than you".

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I thought it was pushed by fat people rather than dieting and exercising.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I wouldn't say the episode was being body positive, though I think it's main criticism of Lizzo herself is that her music isn't to their taste.

Making jokes about a certain artist's work being crap has been a staple of South Park since it began.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Small White Dragon posted:

Making jokes about a certain artist's work being crap has been a staple of South Park since it began.

Sure, but what's your point?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

it's stupid to obsess about your body image so much that you take drugs instead of exercising and eating right

it's stupid to completely disregard body image so much that you insist that being fat is healthy instead of exercising and eating right

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

it's stupid to obsess about your body image so much that you take drugs instead of exercising and eating right

it's stupid to completely disregard body image so much that you insist that being fat is healthy instead of exercising and eating right

I'm not sure the episode makes the latter argument tbh

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm not sure the episode makes the latter argument tbh

Yeah it really doesn't. Cartman is shown to consume meals that Lizzo in real life would consume according to what she shows on TikTok at least, but there's no adverse health effects shown. And in fact the opposite is true as it's stated he doesn't even have diabetes. I think obviously people know you shouldn't eat KFC cereal bombs but if you're able to do it without it affecting your health then, yeah do what you want.

I think they definitely wanted to focus more on being slim and attractive opposed to being fat while still healthy.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

wait the cereal bombs are inspired by stuff lizzo actually eats? that's loving hilarious lol.

i think the episode does make a point that being fat and eating like poo poo is bad. they're literally saying that resorting to "listening to lizzo" is what you should do if you can't afford to cheat at being skinny and it results in cartman being depressed and people getting poo poo in their ears.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Cartman's adverse effects of his weight are because he has no body positivity and doesn't like that he is overweight. He doesn't have diabetes yet because he is young and also because they needed a plot point to have the other kids make weight loss drugs as a compounding pharmacy. When Cartman is given Lizzo he doesn't actually "use" it or get more body positive, in contrast to Sharon who does. Cartman actually uses the fake Ozempic and ends up losing some weight, but not really that much because he hasn't really changed anything except for the Ozempic giving him less desire to eat his same old crap.

The Ozempic moms are shown to be destructive and vain to a ridiculous degree.

Is that stuff really what Lizzo eats on her TikTok? I looked it up, and it seems to be all somewhat healthy vegan recipes, but I don't have TikTok.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I guess my problem with the above read is that Sharon doesn't become more body positive as a result of using Lizzo. She's still quietly anxious about her weight until the end of the story, when Stan comes in and tells her he doesn't care. She never actually finds confidence in herself, and Lizzo, if anything, actually makes her sicker.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

I guess my problem with the above read is that Sharon doesn't become more body positive as a result of using Lizzo. She's still quietly anxious about her weight until the end of the story, when Stan comes in and tells her he doesn't care. She never actually finds confidence in herself, and Lizzo, if anything, actually makes her sicker.

Taking Lizzo gave Sharon diab-ear-tes which qualified her for Ozempic

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Nobody really gets where they are trying to go and its showing that feeling good about yourself is a continuous process. It's also asserting that people don't really feel better about themselves without outside support from other people. The Ozempic moms need to be complimented on their flat stomachs and the body positive people need to be complimented on their body positivity.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

AtheistMantis posted:

Taking Lizzo gave Sharon diab-ear-tes which qualified her for Ozempic

Yeah, exactly, as far as the story is concerned Lizzo (so, body positivity) doesn't actually provide a benefit to its users.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If I had to summarize the point even further it would be:
  • being obese is usually unhealthy
  • diet & exercise works for some people but not others
  • body positivity works for some people but not others
  • there are amazing new medical treatments available
  • rich people basically get to pick whichever option they want, but the rest of us pretty much get stuck with the only one that doesn't cost anything, which is body positivity, which sucks for most of us
(My ability to summarize the episode has no bearing on whether it was actually good)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I need to know more about these IRL Lizzo cerial bombs. Is she really mixing KFC with Coco Puffs and milk and eating them straight out the bucket?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

I need to know more about these IRL Lizzo cerial bombs. Is she really mixing KFC with Coco Puffs and milk and eating them straight out the bucket?

Of course not, those were Cartman specific things. She has occasionally posted some videos of her eating desserts, but apparently she doesn't eat fast food anymore and is vegan.

It's like when The Rock posts his cheat meals, and then imagine that instead of The Rock it's a fat woman whose haters then clip and make it seem like that's all she eats. She just posts some poo poo of her eating burritos and chocolate ice cream on her page; it's pretty mundane so of course that means that it has to be clipped and reposted by every terminally online mentally ill red pilled psycho who invests their time into making rants about how this singular fat woman is ruining society by enjoying a vegan chocolate cake or whatever.

There was a fake McDonalds order attributed to her last year called "The Lizzo" which was something like 10 burgers and 100 nuggets.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

hang on i just remembered that the whole point of the episode is that when everyone agrees to not fatshame people, cartman just gets to be an absolute piece of poo poo to everyone and they can't even make fun of him for being fat as retaliation.

body positivity = bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I find it kind of funny that they still want to make jew jokes, but they had to also go after Pakistan now.