Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

A Cup of Ramen posted:

We did ittttttttttt holy fucccccccck what an end to a yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Yeah those eye blocks in the temple are the devil I swear, those are what did me in but our final surviving member got hit by a curse cat and hidden skeleton combo from like 88 health. :v:

lol you brought a plasma gun to the CO

fuckin congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

lol you brought a plasma gun to the CO

fuckin congrats!

We brought two plasma guns actually :ssh:

Just lost one in the scramble that is CO.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I'm never gonna make it. :(

At this point it's just stupidity holding me back. I'm good enough at the platforming. I know all I need to know about the Cosmic Ocean. I know what to do and what not to do in each area and can execute consistently. But I can't put together 3.5 hours of Spelunky 2 without making a couple of critical mistakes, the kind that a second later you're like "why would you do that!! :cripes:", and these are costing me every CO run. On extremely rare occasions the game just dunks on me by tossing a UFO straight into me from off-screen or something like that, and then fine, I shrug and move on. But 99% of the time it's just me. How I do stop making these dumb mistakes. :sigh:

7-45 yesterday. 7-40 today. Not even halfway, and nowhere near my record.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

that's pretty much why i gave up on it. it's such a time sink that it really feels like a kick in the balls when some seemingly random bullshit ends a run. it starts feeling more like work than fun.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's become my "podcast game". In fact, I seem to play a lot better slightly distracted by podcasts. I'm probably overthinking otherwise. But basically the gameplay is mechanical for me until I get to Hundun... and then I overthink it podcast or not lol.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Made it to 7-6!

The big jelly came after me unexpectedly after smashing two jellies (I thought there were three). Then I jumped into a pipe with no exit :lol:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

teethgrinder posted:

(I thought there were three)

there are always three, but they can be popped off screen without your consent. this happens the most on neo-babylon levels, but can happen on any biome.

if its offscreen, the bubble popping sound will be faint. if you're hearing impaired or can't play with the sound turned way up, then its just another way for spelunky to gently caress you

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

I'm never gonna make it. :(

fwiw I've enjoyed reading your Spelunky 2 Journal (tm) - I only randomly hit this thread because I was looking for the Dead Cells thread

the funny bit there being that I just posted in it a week or so again realizing that I suck rear end at it and I'll never beat/enjoy the endgame challenges (roughly analogous to the CO)

I entirely skipped this game because 1 annoyed me enough, and hearing 2 was even meaner was enough to keep me to respecting this game from afar

anyway

fwiw all the times I've beaten absurd challenges like that have been when I was either very well rested and relaxed enough to maintain full focus for the entire duration or distracted from what I was doing by chatting or streaming or whatever that only muscle memory was at work, no active thought or nerves interfering

if you've made it that far, you have the mechanical skills needed, you just need your brain in the right gear that day to polish it off

also you just complained on the internet so do the thing

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

victrix posted:

fwiw I've enjoyed reading your Spelunky 2 Journal (tm)

Thanks, I appreciate that. It definitely does provide extra motivation to keep trying!

7-55 today. A Lamassu shot knocked me into a loop and I had no parachute. Don't feel too bad about that one since it happened in the context of a difficult situation. I'm sure there was a better way to handle it but whatever. The real mistake was on 7-48 when I failed to account for an arrow trap on a Dwelling level which is the exact kind of mistake I moaned about in my previous post. I have some soft rules on do's and do not's in the CO per biome, and for Dwelling one of the do nots is not to loop horizontally unless I'm positive all the arrow traps have triggered and no arrows are in a vertical loop, and ideally never leave the borders of the level. So I know not to do what I did but did it anyway, which is annoying.

I've started reminding myself of those rules while playing to try and prevent those momentary lapses in concentration. Like if it's Tide Pool I go "okay, just don't get poisoned", and that helps me pay extra attention to sneaky hermit crabs. I think what happened today is I was in a bit of a flow and got a little too comfortable and stopped reminding myself.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

It helps to try to always carry a caveman body in dwelling levels.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I do often trigger difficult traps with a body but that's a good idea to just carry one like that all the time, it didn't occur to me. That would also open up looping as a possibility again. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Hard not to use the loop, at least vertically, on Dwellings because it's so full of dead ends.

Even if I'm trying to avoid the loop, I periodically chill by the edge of the level for a few seconds to take stock of garbage that's become stuck in it. I take the extra effort to clean up anything within whip range.

You should always play like you'll have to get into the loop, even if you're avoiding it. Circumstances (or forgetfulness or overconfidence) may force you into it

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Yeah it's not ideal but for now I feel like not looping on Dwelling is working out for me more often than not. If I get punished for it enough times I'll probably re-evaluate. It costs some resources but so does looping safely (triggering the border traps with ropes, as using anything else will just add to the looping hazards). What helps a lot is that I don't mind the jellies that much anymore. I used to panic when the clock hit 3:00, or when the final orb popped before I was ready, but nowadays I'm mostly fine spending as long as I need in a level, and I know how to manage the jellies. Like I had a 10-minute temple level the other day (tbf most of that was farming a mummy). I also prepare the route to the exit in advance whenever possible. I know some players just pop the orbs asap but whenever possible I try to make a call on which orb to pop last depending on where the exit is and how easy/difficult the path to it will be (there's a balance to be found here cause you also don't want to take too long hemming and hawing, so sometimes just popping them as you find them is the best move). Like you said, circumstances may force me to do otherwise but I'm feeling okay about this. It's a soft rule, not a hard one, so if the level/circumstance allows for it I'll loop (and vertically is always fine if I can get down through the bottom). Have to remain flexible in the madness that is the Cosmic Ocean.

edit: The flip side of being comfortable with the jellies: being too comfortable with the jellies so that in 20 levels of CO 4 go over three minutes and the last one (7-25) kills you twice.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 4, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Question ... am I crazy or does the baseball glove block you from getting poisoned from arrows? I thought I saw that happen once but wasn't exactly sure what happened.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The glove protects you from flying rocks, and skulls, I think, if your hands are empty. Not arrows.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Correct, it doesn't work against arrows, or broken arrows. which i think is BS but that's how it works

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I got saved from a falling skull thanks to the glove the other day. When I got hit by a poison arrow in Sunken City I think I took the damage, but no poison. I'll see if I saved video of it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Maybe you had an elixir?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Are you sure the arrow was poisoned? If it was a dark level the arrows in Sunken City become normal ones, I think when they're fired the trap sets them alight and the fire overwrites the poison or something? At least that was my assumption.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

victrix posted:

also you just complained on the internet so do the thing

This is going to be the exception... Spelunky 2 will be the game to finally defy the golden rule.

I just died on a routine 7-41 because the clock somehow hit 3 minutes without me noticing. I was completely baffled because I felt like I'd spent maybe a minute and a half at the most, the time crunch wasn't on my radar yet at all. The irony is the previous level took nine minutes to complete, the difference was I knew I'd be running late on that one so I was prepared. Here the jelly sneaked up on me out of nowhere. Bummer, I was feeling pretty alright on this run.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

:bravo:

Look it wasn't my fault ok.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Now make it go sideways :science:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

lol I threw a perfect run by putting down the bow at the exit of 7-3 to whip some grubs and pressing the wrong key to go in instead. All items, max bombs and ropes, Vlad's Cape, Ankh, 30 health. I might need a break from this game.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Sway Grunt posted:

:bravo:

Look it wasn't my fault ok.

Oh dear God what have you done :allears:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Just died on 7-92 after getting cursed by a cat on 7-87 through a loving wall. Kill me irl imo.

I am actually, genuinely, never going to make it.

edit: Screw that actually, I'll make it eventually, it's just going to take a really long time I guess. This was a good run. Clawed my way back from 1hp at one point. I'm still immensely disappointed though.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 10, 2023

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

It's beautiful

And with my favorite Spelunker too.

I'm beaming. :)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
boom!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Congrats!!!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You guys are inspiring me to actually focus on playing this seriously.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Sway Grunt posted:

It's beautiful

proud of you

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SeANMcBAY posted:

You guys are inspiring me to actually focus on playing this seriously.

its_a_trap.gif

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

It's beautiful

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Thanks all!

By the way Nebal, you mentioning that on your winning run you'd lost the Ankh even before the CO was pretty inspiring. I've had that in the back of my mind ever since, and the same thing ended up happening to me today. Died on 7-1 in some bow/grub/regenerating block mishap but miraculously both the bow and Vlad's Cape survived. I was initially pretty dejected but figured I'd try and make the most of it anyway.

I forgot to turn the music back on towards the end (have had it completely off past few weeks, just got tired of it in the early levels. Having only the sound effects on is actually kinda spooky at first, especially in Dwelling) so I have an excuse to go again if I want to since I think there's a different track for a CO win. Whatever though!

edit: Just looking at the wiki now to see what all the stars mean, apparently I missed out on one extra shiny star because I didn't say hi to Tusk at the PoP, I just rudely grabbed the food and left lol.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 12, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
New update made the game a little harder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFsUiFNnr2Y

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pigbuster posted:

:stare:

.... and a little bit of :psyduck:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Pigbuster posted:

the cosmic ocean level looks fun

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nebalebadingdong posted:

the cosmic ocean level looks fun

It's the only one that actually looks possible, yeah.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've picked this up again

I got to the jungle once and died instantly :shobon:

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Welcome back to the moon :tipshat:

Pigbuster posted:

this gives me massive anxiety holy hell.

Sway Grunt posted:

It's beautiful

Yesssssss congratsss!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Sway Grunt posted:

Late, but congratulations!