Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

very excited to see what the aaron rodgers version of a penis picture and welfare thieving scandal is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Abugadu posted:

I’ll take one SB victory in 15 years and be content.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have plenty of chances at that next HoF 15 year QB over the next few years.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doing some squinting at the big board this morning.
  • Absolutely off the table by #13: Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson, Anderson, Carter, Witherspoon, Gonzalez
  • Probably off the table by #13: Tyree Wilson, Paris Johnson
  • Likely to be available at #13, and worth picking at #13: Skoronski, JSN, Branch, Murphy, Darnell Wright, Van Ness

I really like this TE class but I can't justify spending #13 on Mayer or Kincaid when it's likely that one of Washington/Musgrave/LaPorta will be available at 42/45. There's a pretty huge dropoff after JSN at WR, and a similarly large dropoff after Johnson/Skoronski/Wright/Jones at OT, while there's loads of ED talent in the top 50.

I'm betting the pick is either JSN or an offensive tackle, then we take ED and TE in the second round.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Doing some squinting at the big board this morning.
  • Absolutely off the table by #13: Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson, Anderson, Carter, Witherspoon, Gonzalez
  • Probably off the table by #13: Tyree Wilson, Paris Johnson
  • Likely to be available at #13, and worth picking at #13: Skoronski, JSN, Branch, Murphy, Darnell Wright, Van Ness

I really like this TE class but I can't justify spending #13 on Mayer or Kincaid when it's likely that one of Washington/Musgrave/LaPorta will be available at 42/45. There's a pretty huge dropoff after JSN at WR, and a similarly large dropoff after Johnson/Skoronski/Wright/Jones at OT, while there's loads of ED talent in the top 50.

I'm betting the pick is either JSN or an offensive tackle, then we take ED and TE in the second round.

I’d be surprised if the Packers have Skoronski as a tackle, seems like most teams don’t due to his length and the Packers always seem to take guys who are ++ on physical traits.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d be surprised if the Packers have Skoronski as a tackle, seems like most teams don’t due to his length and the Packers always seem to take guys who are ++ on physical traits.

The reason I have him there as a potential pick is that we can move Elgton over to LT and put Skoronski at guard. I'd prefer Darnell Wright over Skoronski for exactly the reason you say.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Does anyone think most GMs in the NFL would have been adept at handling the headcase that is Aaron Rodgers over Gutey? I'm not saying he handled the whole thing well, but I have to imagine most GMs flame out when it comes to dealing with an antivaxx/centrist/free thinker/diva.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

fennesz posted:

Does anyone think most GMs in the NFL would have been adept at handling the headcase that is Aaron Rodgers over Gutey? I'm not saying he handled the whole thing well, but I have to imagine most GMs flame out when it comes to dealing with an antivaxx/centrist/free thinker/diva.

Most QB's are like that, so yeah. It's not like Kirk cousins, Goff, Stafford, or Andy Dalton or whoever are some raging leftists.

You still as a GM need to deal with your starting/star QB better than the Packers did.

Not absolving Rodgers or anything, but you still gotta deal with that poo poo better, or at least have the loving conviction to tell him to gently caress off before signing him to the big final contract.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Dexo posted:

or at least have the loving conviction to tell him to gently caress off before signing him to the big final contract.

:hmmyes:

You trade up to draft his replacement, then you give him a contract that could’ve potentially tied up the franchise for years after he retired. It comes off as flakey and indecisive leadership.

Ted didn’t trade up for Rodgers, he fell into the Packers’ lap. Favre had already been bellyaching about retiring every time he didn’t get his way and no one expected him to play until he was 40.

Before Rodgers revealed his final form as the worst person in the world, he’d talked about playing until he was 45 and retiring a Packer.

It’s two completely different scenarios and situations. Also, Rodgers was projected as a possible number one overall before that draft. Love was projected to go in round 2.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:hmmyes:

You trade up to draft his replacement, then you give him a contract that could’ve potentially tied up the franchise for years after he retired. It comes off as flakey and indecisive leadership.

Ted didn’t trade up for Rodgers, he fell into the Packers’ lap. Favre had already been bellyaching about retiring every time he didn’t get his way and no one expected him to play until he was 40.

Before Rodgers revealed his final form as the worst person in the world, he’d talked about playing until he was 45 and retiring a Packer.

It’s two completely different scenarios and situations. Also, Rodgers was projected as a possible number one overall before that draft. Love was projected to go in round 2.

Love was widely mocked to go in the first.

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/4/20/21227641/nfl-mock-draft-roundup-jordan-love-utah-utes-football

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Now he's just widely mocked

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fennesz posted:

I think most GMs would tell their decade long QB that they were about to trade up to do a reach for their replacement, yeah.

As has been mentioned, the Bears gave Andy Dalton the courtesy of a phone call and he had been on the team for about 20 minutes at the time.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

R.D. Mangles posted:

you will be able to tell that the bears are doomed to be a perennial Hell Franchise when Love has a much better season than Fields, it has already happened.

Love would have to close his eyes when he throws to not beat Fields. The bar is that low.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hit Man posted:

Love would have to close his eyes when he throws to not beat Fields. The bar is that low.

3500 yards, 25 TDs and 11 ints. Do you think Love beats that next year?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Love conquers all right?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Nervous posted:

Love conquers all right?

Narrator: it turned out Love didn't conquer all

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They do both get to play the Vikings secondary twice, anything is possible

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Thaddius the Large posted:

They do both get to play the Vikings secondary twice, anything is possible

I’d be shocked if Flores doesn’t improve the Vikings defense.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Per-game, that's 206 yards, 1.5 TDs, and 0.65 picks. That doesn't seem terribly out of reach and would put him solidly in the exact middle of the league.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

MJeff posted:

I think most GMs would tell their decade long QB that they were about to trade up to do a reach for their replacement, yeah.

As has been mentioned, the Bears gave Andy Dalton the courtesy of a phone call and he had been on the team for about 20 minutes at the time.

While I think Gutenkunst should've called Rodgers, the Dalton situation is not comparable.

Dalton signed with them to be the starter and then the Bears traded up for the QB of the future who was obviously going to start before the end of the season like a month later.

quote:

One day after agreeing to a one-year contract, Dalton revealed that the Bears have assured him that he'll be their No. 1 quarterback. It's a guarantee that helped convince him to pick Chicago over other potential free-agent destinations.

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/dalton-relishes-chance-to-be-bears-starting-qb

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's more damning to not give Rodgers a call and heads up lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shrimpy posted:

While I think Gutenkunst should've called Rodgers, the Dalton situation is not comparable.

Dalton signed with them to be the starter and then the Bears traded up for the QB of the future who was obviously going to start before the end of the season like a month later.

It's not comparable, it's much much much much worse in the case of the Packers.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Per-game, that's 206 yards, 1.5 TDs, and 0.65 picks. That doesn't seem terribly out of reach and would put him solidly in the exact middle of the league.

Nope, not crazy numbers though Fields only played 15 games last year so the per game numbers are a little off. But I am curious if anyone expects Love to outperform that in his first year starting. I’d be pretty surprised.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Did Ted call Brett Favre before he drafted Rodgers?

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Dexo posted:

It's more damning to not give Rodgers a call and heads up lol

Notorious offseason phone call answer-er Aaron Rodgers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

This was before the relationship was severed.

Some might say it was the inciting incident.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what if gutekunst didn't call rodgers because he is so personally annoying that the thought of talking to him on the phone and listening to 30 minutes of sun-blasting your anus or bigfoot conspiracies was unbearable.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shrimpy posted:

Didn't the Bears do that with Mike Glennon, too? Signed to be the starter, then trade up to draft Mitch?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Timby posted:

Didn't the Bears do that with Mike Glennon, too? Signed to be the starter, then trade up to draft Mitch?

Yea, and if I recall, glennon wasn’t happy about it. Although I don’t know how that guy didn’t realize he was a transition QB.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I bet Glennon gets great cell reception

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

glennon was at the Bears Official Draft Party when they drafted mitch and then had to bobblehead his way out there, just thinking about that is the funniest thing imaginable.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Dexo posted:

This was before the relationship was severed.

Some might say it was the inciting incident.

Every Packers fan knows that the relationship was severed in 2018 when Jordy Nelson Jeff Janis was let go.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The whole manage Rodgers better seems like a mostly pointless discussion anyway.

Rodgers was in a position to win (and failed) until the point when he just couldn’t do it anymore physically.

Nothing else really matters

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Shrimpy posted:

Every Packers fan knows that the relationship was severed in 2018 when Jordy Nelson Jeff Janis was let go.

:lol: Rodgers is legit butthurt over Jake Kumerow being let go.

Jake. Kumerow. :what:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't see the issue with what they did with Rodgers. I thought the Love pick was kind of dumb, but Rodgers has played the last few years and often at a high level. Now that he's starting to look a little washed, they traded him for a stack of picks and have their future QB lined up.

Despite the off-field bad vibes or whatever, it seems like the Packers ended up getting what they wanted out of this for the most part.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:lol: Rodgers is legit butthurt over Jake Kumerow being let go.

Jake. Kumerow. :what:

Whitewater's finest.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Niwrad posted:

I don't see the issue with what they did with Rodgers. I thought the Love pick was kind of dumb, but Rodgers has played the last few years and often at a high level. Now that he's starting to look a little washed, they traded him for a stack of picks and have their future QB lined up.

Despite the off-field bad vibes or whatever, it seems like the Packers ended up getting what they wanted out of this for the most part.

Hell the Packers ended I profiting off of Rodgers spite which is kind of funny

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Shrimpy posted:

The Packers have not won a Super Bowl this century without John Kuhn on the roster

really makes u think

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It seems like the Packers now have a year where they can see if Love can be the future while they clear the cap. Then have some extra picks next season to go forth with a rebuild. I feel like that's close to where the Bears were at last year when they traded Mack and others. For all the hate their GM is getting, I feel like he played it well.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

They absolutely got what they wanted out of it. And if they are mediocre for the next few years because of it, all we will hear about is why were they in such a hurry to get rid of Rodgers? Especially if Rodgers hate fucks the NFL to the Jets being relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean they were in a hurry because Rodgers was bad last year. If he improves on the Jets then it is what it is but hindsight is 20/20