Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

simplefish posted:

Brits do midlife expat crises differently
Yeah, it's true, he's not trying to beat up everyone around him while shouting angrily about how this is the last straw and he's moving to Cambo m8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Or biting somebody’s nose off

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

simplefish posted:

He seems German, is he German?

Brits do midlife expat crises differently

Also I'd say cocaine appears to be involved as well as whisky, based on what I've seen before

He sounds really American to me as far as his accent go but the grey manties I'm not sure about

Someone where I got the video from said Swedish but he doesn't seem very Swedish to me

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Any American that fat in Southeast Asia who is also that much of a drunk wreck in public would *usually* have a beard, tattoos and be wearing black. Can't swear, but he has a very Northern European feel to him, because he's properly shaved and bathed and also a drunk humongous fat wreck.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have met Sweeds that drunk who could scream convincingly in an American accent, I will say

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
/\/\/\ Yeah, to the extent that you can generalize, Swedes have by far the most authentic American accented English I've encountered.

---

Okay, I googled. Video's apparently like 10 years old, it was taken by a Scottish former cameraman in Cebu and the dude appears to be Swedish according to people who are Swedish and watching the video.

http://philippineslifestyle.com/drunk-tourist-wheeled-trolley-hotel/

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In any case godbless great emissary, ship of my soul

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

raton posted:

In any case godbless great emissary, ship of my soul
Carry on why weigh one ton,
There'll be peace when you are gone.
Lay your sweaty head to rest,
Don't you cry no more.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
LET

ME

DIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
lol

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, it's true, he's not trying to beat up everyone around him while shouting angrily about how this is the last straw and he's moving to Cambo m8.

This is exactly what I meant. Other acceptable answers would have been creepiness towards women like they think that's Just How Things Are, painted as some sort of epiphany, like nobody else realises that women are meant to be treated like that and they all love it really.

And half marks for bitching about ex-wives which is more of an Aussie sexpat-midlife-crisis thing (sure they all do it, but like, endlessly is particularly Aussie)

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

Yeah touts exist there, and the three magic words are, "khong, cam un."
No, thank you.
Thanks for the tip!
I leave for my trip on Tuesday. Any other last minute advice for Vietnam, thread?

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

quote:

I leave for my trip on Tuesday. Any other last minute advice for Vietnam, thread?
It is the end of the monsoon season. Be prepare for heavy rains and flooded streets. Watch out for potential incoming typhoons.
Stay in high places to avoid mosquitoes.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've just been informed by a friend back in Chiang Rai that they went to a Big C today to get some passport photos done, and my photo is up on there to advertise the British passport option. :wtf: I never got my photos done there and I have no clue how it could have gotten there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

I've just been informed by a friend back in Chiang Rai that they went to a Big C today to get some passport photos done, and my photo is up on there to advertise the British passport option. :wtf: I never got my photos done there and I have no clue how it could have gotten there.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Should have written JIM CARREY and I would almost have been convinced.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This kerfuffle over the drop in Chinese tourist arrivals has become downright entertaining:

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/travel/article/2166804/thailand-disturbed-sharp-decline-chinese-tourists

Enjoy a heaping helping of Asian Nationalist butthurt on your end this time, TAT. Now grovel, grovel, grovel.

I wonder what it looks like once the Chinese start dying in proportionally similar numbers to the many tourists from the UK, Australia, Sweden, Germany, Canada, the US, etc, who die in an endless parade of bus accidents, balcony falls, arguments with taxi drivers, motorbike accidents, love triangle murders, violent disputes over real estate, pissing off someone powerful in a provincial area like Koh Tao or Kanchanaburi - and so on. That doesn't even get into the horrible non-death events like the many rape victims, beating victims and cases of child abduction. Someone register Chinese Deathwatch or whatever and keep count against that farang deathwatch blog.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Insane that they think tourism is down because of accidents or anything else. When an entire boat of people died in China on the Yangtze River, it didn't do anything to rattle nerves. Thailand isn't any less safe now than a few years ago. The differences are that Russia and China have worse economies and people are traveling less and there are more locations for those tourists to visit as they develop hotels and other venues. Chinese currency is 10%+ less valuable in October than the period discussed and the baht is strengthening relative to Chinese currency.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 11, 2018

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, the Russians are 100% economic and most disappeared years ago. There's still a steady flow back and forth, especially in pockets of Pattaya, Hua Hin and a bit in Phuket still, but the precipitous drop in oil prices coupled with the original sanctions a few years back did them in pretty hard.

The Chinese, honestly I've been out of Thailand for most of this period, so I can't say directly what's up. The problems coincide almost exactly with the trade war nonsense, with great numbers through about May-June and then the incidents hit at exactly the same time as the early July tariffs, to the day. Immediately after which Prawit slithered out and made one of his trademark foot-in-mouth statements (which was accurate, but insensitive and poorly timed and not something a government official should be saying publicly).

The incidents are being overblown for sure, but it's definitely creating a lot of bad press and Thailand is scrambling around trying to fix that in entertaining ways. The Chinese numbers are still massive, they're just off where they should be. My guess is the package tours are leading cancellations and that's hitting the package destinations the hardest (I noted they mentioned Krabi/Ao Nang in the article) - while probably if you go to Bangkok or Chiang Mai, you'll still see huge crowds since this is where independent tourists, or independent tourist groups head to first. Older Zero Bahters don't have disposable income, younger independent travelers do. Also, the former are more likely to be concerned with Chinese Fox News, I'm guessing.

What's amazing is that the numbers are supposedly down, but they're still on track to meet or beat last year's numbers - if you look at the raw numbers on arrivals, it's already a staggering gap between China and anyone else. Thailand was among the most touristed countries in the world before the Lost in Thailand boom, but it's never seen anything like this. Their arrivals now add up to something like the next 5-6 largest arrival countries combined. That's counting the neighbors, of which many people aren't exactly "tourists" in the traditional sense. If you take out Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and just leave in Malaysia, I think, it's an even larger group needed to make it up. The Chinese tourists are the US Navy of tourist arrival groups, heh.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The weirdest thing about Chinese tourists is that I lived in Thailand for seven years. I saw Chinese tourists every day, almost everywhere I went. But I never once talked to one. It never, ever seemed like they wanted to engage whatsoever outside their group. Even when they're trying to cut in a line or something and you say something to them, they look through you with this weird blank expression like you don't actually exist. It's so drat weird.

I think the most meaningful interaction I ever had with a Chinese person was in a mall in Phuket shortly after my son was born. He was in a pram, and this Chinese lady saw him and came over and was cooing over him, but it was like, creepy cooing, where she was getting way too close to him and didn't take the hints that we wanted to move on and she knelt in front of the pram and honestly looked like she wanted to snatch the kid and run away with him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bardeh posted:

Big C owns yo

The first time I went to visit my wife's family in Thailand (2010) all of her younger cousins said I look like Harry Potter. For context my closest celeb look-alike is Michael Cera and even that's a stretch

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Big C is OK. They have some nice French Carrefour stuff there the other supermarkets dont have like decent pate. Tops is the best supermarket though, even if it's pricier. They even started stocking craft beer just before I left.

And apparently this passport photo place is just one of those little independent rented spaces. I still don't know how they got my photo. Friend at the immigration office? Who the hell knows.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Chinese deaths, along with Burmese and other migrant workers, are already documented whenever possible on Farang Deathblog. As far as I can tell, if you put a Chinese tourist anywhere near water, they will find a way to drown. It's kind of similar to how old farangs with new girlfriends can't at all be trusted to be near a balcony in a condo.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Russians are also unable to avoid death near currents. Having grown up near and in the sea, it's sort of obvious why. If you don't know how to deal with an undertow / rip current and you react by trying to tough it out, you're hosed. Quite a few of the individual deaths are because people who aren't familiar with currents ignore warning flags and end up caught in hydraulics and other currents and panic.

Protip: If the water sucks you under and out, hold your breath and calmly wait until it spits you out, then tread water carefully to get back to point A. Maybe translate that to Mandarin and Russian!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

The weirdest thing about Chinese tourists is that I lived in Thailand for seven years. I saw Chinese tourists every day, almost everywhere I went. But I never once talked to one. It never, ever seemed like they wanted to engage whatsoever outside their group. Even when they're trying to cut in a line or something and you say something to them, they look through you with this weird blank expression like you don't actually exist. It's so drat weird.

I think the most meaningful interaction I ever had with a Chinese person was in a mall in Phuket shortly after my son was born. He was in a pram, and this Chinese lady saw him and came over and was cooing over him, but it was like, creepy cooing, where she was getting way too close to him and didn't take the hints that we wanted to move on and she knelt in front of the pram and honestly looked like she wanted to snatch the kid and run away with him.

I lived in one of NYC's Chinatowns and it's like that there too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

Big C owns yo

The first time I went to visit my wife's family in Thailand (2010) all of her younger cousins said I look like Harry Potter. For context my closest celeb look-alike is Michael Cera and even that's a stretch

I look a lot like Dave Matthews and the last time I was in Thailand the doctor I went to see to get some bs derm work done thought I was some actor I guess, I didn't ask her which one.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Anyway I pray for Mainlander death

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite thing about the big box stores in Thailand was that a lot of them have a little four shop foodcourt or whatever so you can get some gravy noodles before walking around the store to buy a green plastic washbasin about the size and shape of a car tire.

It may or may not come with a fitted strainer basket

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

farangs... can't at all be trusted

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hopefully if/when I die on a future visit to Thailand I will at least give someone a cheap laugh :v: I stay glued to my wife and her family whenever I'm over there though, which is how I've survived this long already. I should really go back through my Thai language tutor notes before my next trip there...

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hab Thai laydee taecarevellygoos!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

C-Euro posted:

Hopefully if/when I die on a future visit to Thailand I will at least give someone a cheap laugh :v: I stay glued to my wife and her family whenever I'm over there though, which is how I've survived this long already. I should really go back through my Thai language tutor notes before my next trip there...

Maybe pick up some Swedish that seems to help

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sorry, hadn't watched any MTB clips in a while and forgot this lovely scene:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/mythaibride#t=63

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I think I'm going to go with this place during my 4 day stay at Siem Reap.

It's cheap, has airport pickup (which I assume is a BIG asset), and is only 20 minutes from Angkor Wat. I do see some places with bike rentals, is that something that I should take mind to or should I just use Uber/taxis to get around?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 13, 2018

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Airport pickup is not an issue in the Mekong region, really. The worst ripoff guy will usually charge less than the hotel or the official ripoff people. Granted, if you want a nice car and guaranteed punctuality, fair enough, but there's an oversupply of people waiting to drive you places at major airport in TH, KH, etc.

I have no idea about Uber in Cambodia, but it got its lazy, arrogant rear end kicked out of Thailand when Grab did a much better job of meeting regional expectations, so I would count more on interacting with humans and reaching consensus - after which your trip will occur. Personally, I prefer a bicycle for the in-town stuff, but if you're traveling with others you may want to just hire a tuk tuk or taxi like most people do. Things a bit further out like Banteay Srei would take a good hour to ride to on a bike, so you probably wouldn't want to do those on a bike unless you and anyone with you enjoy long rides (I do).

Now, that said, SE Asia is a mecca for luxury tourism on the cheap, so if you want to toss around a large amount of money to avoid interactions and negotiations and just get poo poo done, you can have every single thing arranged and even be driven around the temples in a 1930s Citroen if you prefer.

Generally speaking, though, non-package tourists just roll in to the airport, grab a taxi and take it from there. You'll be fine. It's Siem Reap. As overcrowded as it is now, and as much more aggressive as it is than it was 15+ years ago, it's still a million times easier to navigate than many less-desirable destinations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Motherfucker, I’m sitting on this plane on my way to Hong Kong and this small town girl in front of me is making small talk with this old old dude next to her.

IM JUST GOING TO PHILIPPINES FOR 3 WEEKS.

Ugh. Why do I have poo poo luck and why is this flight full. It was empty on its way to SFO

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Dude can’t even list any attractions or areas he wanted to go. Just offhandedly mentioned “beaches”. What’s up with these EAT PRAY LOVE types of garbage people.

The Chinese nong bus side of tourism isn’t much better, wanting to go to USA for shopping shopping shopping. Or buying ghoradelli or Godiva chocolates in duty free

caberham fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 14, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Kill me pls

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ReindeerF posted:

Airport pickup is not an issue in the Mekong region, really. The worst ripoff guy will usually charge less than the hotel or the official ripoff people. Granted, if you want a nice car and guaranteed punctuality, fair enough, but there's an oversupply of people waiting to drive you places at major airport in TH, KH, etc.

I have no idea about Uber in Cambodia, but it got its lazy, arrogant rear end kicked out of Thailand when Grab did a much better job of meeting regional expectations, so I would count more on interacting with humans and reaching consensus - after which your trip will occur. Personally, I prefer a bicycle for the in-town stuff, but if you're traveling with others you may want to just hire a tuk tuk or taxi like most people do. Things a bit further out like Banteay Srei would take a good hour to ride to on a bike, so you probably wouldn't want to do those on a bike unless you and anyone with you enjoy long rides (I do).

Now, that said, SE Asia is a mecca for luxury tourism on the cheap, so if you want to toss around a large amount of money to avoid interactions and negotiations and just get poo poo done, you can have every single thing arranged and even be driven around the temples in a 1930s Citroen if you prefer.

Generally speaking, though, non-package tourists just roll in to the airport, grab a taxi and take it from there. You'll be fine. It's Siem Reap. As overcrowded as it is now, and as much more aggressive as it is than it was 15+ years ago, it's still a million times easier to navigate than many less-desirable destinations.

Thanks.

Also, are Are Trip.com, OneTrip, Kiwi, as reliable as Expedia for booking flights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

Also, are Are Trip.com, OneTrip, Kiwi, as reliable as Expedia for booking flights?
No idea, never heard of any of them. The only one that shows up on searches that I've heard is shady is otel.com, but who knows. I never use Expedia for flights, so I can't say, but between Google Flights and carrier sites you can get a good cross-reference. LCCs are another story, though. If you're booking domestic flights, whether it's Southwest in the US or Air Asia in Thailand, you need to go direct to the carrier site. Their data is syndicated through some APIs who grab it in clever ways, but it's not reliable.

caberham posted:

Dude can’t even list any attractions or areas he wanted to go. Just offhandedly mentioned “beaches”. What’s up with these EAT PRAY LOVE types of garbage people.

The Chinese nong bus side of tourism isn’t much better, wanting to go to USA for shopping shopping shopping. Or buying ghoradelli or Godiva chocolates in duty free
Temples, mate.

Ask him if he's going to Angeles!