Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Keru posted:

I'm torn between going ape on the Thug with everything I have or conserving heat in case I survive for another round and can start getting move-mods up and maybe, just maybe, stay a decoy for a bit longer.

I'm leaning towards conserving heat for this turn, you never know.

This may be too late but your 'Mech is really not in bad shape. You lost a lot of armour but have no internal damage. Alpha-striking to the point of shutting your 'Mech down or risking ammo explosions seems premature. When people have been complaining about un-Clanlike behaviour, they (IMO) have been complaining about SD refusing to advance into the city and other 'Mechs doubling back to take out stragglers, not "you didn't fire everything this turn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Carbolic posted:

This may be too late but your 'Mech is really not in bad shape. You lost a lot of armour but have no internal damage. Alpha-striking to the point of shutting your 'Mech down or risking ammo explosions seems premature. When people have been complaining about un-Clanlike behaviour, they (IMO) have been complaining about SD refusing to advance into the city and other 'Mechs doubling back to take out stragglers, not "you didn't fire everything this turn."

Goons are going to complain about everything. I think since the death and rebirth of the Ilkhan the thread and strategy has taken a more pleasant and entertaining turn. Many large robots are about to meet their end in fire and death! :black101:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Guys, don't take it too seriously, I know I'm not. This is a Let's Play, not the Grand gently caress Tourney Battletech Championships of Spergia XXV.

We're here to tell a story, not necessarily win every fight with perfectly precisioned strikes of dicerolls.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Keru posted:

We're here to tell a story, not necessarily win every fight with perfectly precisioned strikes of dicerolls.

It's also really hard to say that doing something would've been so much better than doing something else. Dice giveth, dice taketh away. Like killing the Spider: it's not what I'd have done but it's really hard to say that killing the fastest jumper when you're about to make a break for it was a bad idea. Ditto with aiming at the Thug's center torso, to-hit of 5 was reasonable.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Keru posted:

Battletech: Grand gently caress Tourney Championships of Spergia XXV.

Requesting thread retitle.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Where's the ammo in the Kingfisher? I'm guessing the right torso. Does that cause a mission kill since he probably has an XL engine?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Rick_Hunter posted:

Where's the ammo in the Kingfisher? I'm guessing the right torso. Does that cause a mission kill since he probably has an XL engine?

IS Mechs that lose a torso when they mount XL engines are completely dead. Clan mechs, on the other hand, are merely crippled. It's two engine crits, which means -2 MP and +10 heat/turn, I believe. So he'll be pretty slow and have to limit his fire, but he won't be entirely useless.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Rick_Hunter posted:

The ammo is probably evenly divided between the side torsos. An ammo hit would take out the side torso, the arm, 2 engine hits (+10 heat every turn), and 2 pilot hits. So while the mech would technically be alive, it would be in bad shape. Those two pilot hits would probably mission kill it since it already has 1 pilot hit and would suffer a fourth hit from the fall if it blacks out.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Arcturas posted:

IS Mechs that lose a torso when they mount XL engines are completely dead. Clan mechs, on the other hand, are merely crippled. It's two engine crits, which means -2 MP and +10 heat/turn, I believe. So he'll be pretty slow and have to limit his fire, but he won't be entirely useless.

Wouldn't get the -2 MP, but yeah.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Remember knockout rolls do not care about how good a pilot you are, they are completely "luck" based (A Set number like 3 or 5 you have to beat) ammo explosions and engine shutdowns are also like that.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Carbolic posted:

Yeah, no need to knock yourself out, though it would be a pretty sweet way to go.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I disagree with the guys saying "no need to knock yourself out", if what you're doing is making yourself the biggest target at the same time. Two or three gauss hits, even if they don't destroy whoever they hit this turn, will take the mech they hit out of contention for the mission target (because there's a fuckload of SRMs to face and critseekers are going to ruin anyone with compromised armor during the endgame of this mission).

So Keru's going for the sacrifice play here not just because of his existing damage, but in anticipation of crippling damage being taken this turn too.

Of course there's always the possibility that the sphereoids will ignore him and shoot at other clanners, but good strategy dictates you concentrate fire and go for the injured mechs before the fully-healthy ones, and the IS guys have no way of knowing during the targeting phase that Keru is going to overheat himself, so it's actually quite likely that they'll focus-fire on him.

I think it's a good move, a calculated sacrifice to get the other mechs closer to being where they have to be to get the target, and getting there in fighting condition.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's a good move, a calculated sacrifice to get the other mechs closer to being where they have to be to get the target, and getting there in fighting condition.

I haven't crunched the math on the KF surviving under concentrated fire, but even if the enemy focuses on it completely I'm very confident it's chance of dying is substantial and high but definitely less than one in two.

Now on the other hand the last couple of medium pulse lasers will cost 4/6/8 shutdown checks and 2 ammo explosion checks at 4/6.

That's a cumulative 86,5% chance of shutdown, and I'm not sure whether one can have multiple ammo explosions, but at least a 51,4% cumulative chance of a single ammo explosion.
That's a 6,9% chance of the KF not being messed up something fierce and being partly or fully unable to contribute what it would the round after. Even if it is avoided it will be unable to aim or move properly.

The two medium pulse lasers represent a substantial fraction but well below half of the KFs total firepower in but one round. Surviving one more round alone, let alone two, three or beyond, will deliver more firepower than the two medium pulse lasers. (The average damage potential per round divided by the increase in incapaciation risk (around fifty percent or more) is higher than the two pulse lasers in just one round.).

One might gamble that the KF is dying this round, but Goonstar needs to gamble on the KF surviving, not the immediate effect of two pulse lasers, or to run hypervigilant risk reduction of being killed. There's also about a 5% chance the KF doesn't melt or explode or is killed by the enemy mechs if it alphastrikes, but as noted that would leave it ineffective the next round, which would not be worth it unless the two medium pulse lasers finished off an enemy mech.

Of course I've only played BT twice, short games, so I might have gotten stuff wrong. :v:

It's an awesome in-character choice though, Keru will only add to the glory of the battle and Clan Hell Horse and that alone has earned our collective respect. :hist101:
... I just dig how his pilot is appropriately being written as so in the zone his skin is being fried and he barely feels it!!

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 24, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hey Poptarts, I've been wondering, how does completing secondary objectives usually affect the wider scenario? Like, how would things turn out differently if the Long Tom from my mission had made it out?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

cwDeici posted:

Stuff

When the record sheet says 'Shutdown, avoid on a 4+' it means that you only fail on a roll of less than 4.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

paragon1 posted:

Hey Poptarts, I've been wondering, how does completing secondary objectives usually affect the wider scenario? Like, how would things turn out differently if the Long Tom from my mission had made it out?

Well in this scenario I can imagine that it can end a few ways.

1. Our intrepid heroes lose. The Coordinator and Yorinaga survive and they fight the clans to a standstill in the hills outside Imperial City. (temporary standstill?) (edit; and clans get to elect a new ilkhan)

2. We kill the coordinator and the Ilkhan survives. The DC military charge down out of their entrenched positions and get slaughtered by the clan forces.

3. We kill the coordinator and the Ilkhan dies. DC military attacks and gets beaten but the clans have to elect a new Ilkhan.

These are just my guesses though.

Affi fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 24, 2012

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Affi posted:

Well in this scenario I can imagine that it can end a few ways.

1. Our intrepid heroes lose. The Coordinator and Yorinaga survive and they fight the clans to a standstill in the hills outside Imperial City. (temporary standstill?)

2. We kill the coordinator and the Ilkhan survives. The DC military charge down out of their entrenched positions and get slaughtered by the clan forces.

3. We kill the coordinator and the Ilkhan dies. DC military attacks and gets beaten but the clans have to elect a new Ilkhan.

These are just my guesses though.

This is a make it or break it moment for the ilKhan. After reading the fluff from the beginning of the mission, the ilKhan has 2 choices:

1. Kill the Coordinator and die. The Clans will honor you.
2. Kill the Coordinator and survive. The Clans will WORSHIP you.

Retreat is not an option. Unless you like throwing more sabots into PTN's reimagining of the BT universe.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Rick_Hunter posted:

Retreat is not an option. Unless you like throwing more sabots into PTN's reimagining of the BT universe.

I hate to be that guy, but a Sabot is essentially a bullet adapter that lets you fire rounds of a different calibre out of a bullet, it isn't actually a projectile.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

I hate to be that guy, but a Sabot is essentially a bullet adapter that lets you fire rounds of a different calibre out of a bullet, it isn't actually a projectile.

I love to be the guy who steps in on the hate to be that guy, but sabotage, according to folk etymology, comes from the word sabot, supposedly because Dutch workers would stick their shoes in the gears of machinery that was threatening their jobs.

Ergo, it's a fair, if weird, allusion mixed with the idiom of 'a wrench in the works.'

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

NovemberMike posted:

Four-hundred years ago, on the planet Earth, workers who felt their livelihood threatened by automation, flung their wooden shoes, called "sabot", into the machines to stop them . . . hence the word: sabotage.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Four-hundred years ago, on the planet Earth, workers who felt their livelihood threatened by automation, flung their wooden shoes, called "sabot", into the machines to stop them . . . hence the word: sabotage.

Can you read Shakespeare in Klingon?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

the JJ posted:

I love to be the guy who steps in on the hate to be that guy, but sabotage, according to folk etymology, comes from the word sabot, supposedly because Dutch workers would stick their shoes in the gears of machinery that was threatening their jobs.

Ergo, it's a fair, if weird, allusion mixed with the idiom of 'a wrench in the works.'

If it makes you feel any better about yourself, you only knew that because of a lovely Star Trek movie.

The actual word sabotage is from saubatu'ge, which entered French as a result of Napoleon's adventures in Mesopotamia and is an ancient Sumerian word for the keepers of the Annunaki, who would cause the demons to trip and stumble and try to find their lost items in an attempt to prevent them from devouring the universe.

loving public school system and Paramount Films destroying our culture.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
What's a star trek?

I just speak beastie boys.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Der Waffle Mous posted:

What's a star trek?

I just speak beastie boys.

Well, the best way I can describe Star Trek is that it's Intergalatic, Planetary adventures.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

paragon1 posted:

Depends on the mission and the bonus objective. For example: if the Artillery had survived, it would've tied up the Widowmaker Dragoons for another week which, while not a huge impact, would've put them even further behind in their invasion corridor.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

That seems unlikely.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

That seems unlikely.

Hence, folk etymology. Wikipedia lists it as a 'claimed explanation,' for all that's worth.

Anyway, regardless of the actual origin of the word, the allusion to the 'claimed explanation' remains legitimate and sabot-as-a-wooden-shoe remains a legitimate use of the word sabot, and indeed is the origin of the firearm term.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Working on the update now and I must say I am pleased. The players have discovered the value of focused fire (not trying to be snarky, I really am pleased).

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

PoptartsNinja posted:

Working on the update now and I must say I am pleased. The players have discovered the value of focused fire (not trying to be snarky, I really am pleased).

The same way Grant discovered its value at Cold Harbor?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You Liiiiie.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

You Liiiiie.

You're right, I do.

Someone's probably going to blow up this turn, though.

Edit: Stop blowing the gun arms off my Panthers! :argh:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 24, 2012

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're right, I do.

THOSE ARE THE TASTY PARTS, best meat on the mech.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

THOSE ARE THE TASTY PARTS, best meat on the mech.

Kill the meat. Save the metal.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're right, I do.

Win or lose for the DC, I imagine the after-combat cleanup and salvaging from this is gonna be a bitch.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Rorac posted:

Win or lose for the DC, I imagine the after-combat cleanup and salvaging from this is gonna be a bitch.

On the upside, we are going to get the Battletech equivalent of Frankenstein's Monster out of it. a Panther with Thug arms on Kingfisher legs with a Storm Crow head.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Keru posted:

On the upside, we are going to get the Battletech equivalent of Frankenstein's Monster

The Cataphract already exists though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Calling a mech a "Frankenstein's Monster" is offensive to Capellans, who have to actually drive Cataphracts.

E: drat, got too wordy. BUTT SOUP.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Man, you guys are fast with the comebacks.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I have had a lot of practice, myself. I had a Capellan arch-nemesis who required me to step up my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Keru posted:

On the upside, we are going to get the Battletech equivalent of Frankenstein's Monster out of it. a Panther with Thug arms on Kingfisher legs with a Storm Crow head.

This needs to be made a canon mech. PTN-canon at least.

• Locked thread