Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That new vampire game coming out from Dontnod is supposed to be like that. Every human that you kill has their own backstory, social interactions and familial relationships, and people will react to them disappearing. You also inherit their memories or something so you get to feel like a real rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RoboRodent posted:

I have never played Oblivion but I recently started playing Oblivion and I'm quite enjoying myself. Good lord the character creation, though.

Anyway my little thing is the fact that the eyebrow slider goes "light" to "dark" and there's so much bloom on everything that light eyebrows combined with a dark elf who I made very dark to hide some hideous textures makes it look like I have glowing eyebrows. This is hilarious. So of course this is what I chose to do.

The first thing I encountered in the game is a fellow prisoner saying "you're so beautiful, my dear dunmer maiden." Yeah, sure, whatever you say????

He just can't resist my glowing eyebrows.

(Yes it's a photo of my TV screen, bite me)

I like how facial hair in oblivion - is just a shader on certain parts on the face. And body.

And since that all characters have the same physical build - the only way they can make characters appear to be "fat" or "skinny" is by inflating/deflating the head, so you'll occasionally run into a dude that looks like he got stung by a gently caress ton of bees.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is a real support page on Ubisofts website.
https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000034501/Is-Boomer-a-good-boy

Answer: yes, yes he is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this! posted:

*clicks yes, this was helpful*

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

haveblue posted:

*clicks yes, this was helpful*

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

They are trying too hard to be hip and viral.

I'm old and grumpy.

e. oh poo poo this was the good thing thread, sorry.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Mar 28, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuringa posted:

BioEnchanted has said something about Get Even dealing with that in some way. Iji also had some stuff about lethal and non-lethal changing aspects of the game.

Yeah, Get Even has it so that the endings rely on the Main character's reactions to what happened in the past. If you get into too many fights and subsequently kill to many dudes, it stresses them out and they make a destructive decision in the Bad End - keep it stealthy and they do something beneficial, that still gives the villains theircomeuppance.

In other news, I figured out the Lightning Bolt powerup in Ace LIghtning while recording episode 2, and it's actually fairly satisfying to use - it's really powerful.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I'm still burned from FarCry4 and just finished Watch_Dogs2 so I'm out of Ubi's grasp for a while, but goddamn, are they trying

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just encountered the shadow puppets in Metro: Last Light. One on hand it's kinda nice to watch a hardened soldier doing shadow puppets to entertain the kids, but then you realize that they don't recognize ordinary animals like elephants. The only animals they know of are completely terrifying.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Samuringa posted:

I'm still burned from FarCry4 and just finished Watch_Dogs2 so I'm out of Ubi's grasp for a while, but goddamn, are they trying

I can't not have fun in FarCry because they put coop in there. Any game, no matter how awful, is instantly good with coop. I'm loving the hell out of A Way Out right now because of it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RoboRodent posted:

I have never played Oblivion but I recently started playing Oblivion and I'm quite enjoying myself. Good lord the character creation, though.

Anyway my little thing is the fact that the eyebrow slider goes "light" to "dark" and there's so much bloom on everything that light eyebrows combined with a dark elf who I made very dark to hide some hideous textures makes it look like I have glowing eyebrows. This is hilarious. So of course this is what I chose to do.

The first thing I encountered in the game is a fellow prisoner saying "you're so beautiful, my dear dunmer maiden." Yeah, sure, whatever you say????

He just can't resist my glowing eyebrows.

(Yes it's a photo of my TV screen, bite me)

I loved the Oblivion character creator.

The red thing is his tongue.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I loved the Oblivion character creator.

The red thing is his tongue.

Oh good god. And I thought the khajit I made was hideously deformed. Amazing.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Just playing Metal Gear Solid 5 for the first time, phenomenal game, and the only other metal gear game I've played was the remake of the first one on the gamecube.

When D-Horse (a horse) is your designated buddy, if you are running in a direction and whistle, he will pull up beside you and you just hit Y and mount him and are instantly horse sprinting in your chosen direction. Very fluid and easy, especially considering how big and open the world is and how much distance you'll be covering.

D-Dog (Tactical attack dog w/ eyepatch) is awesome. He acts as a stand in for tactical radar, when you're venturing into enemy ground and have him selected, he will mark enemies potential locations with little visible markers in your field of view, even guys completely hidden from sight. When you spot an isolated target you can instruct D-dog to dispatch them. He pulls out a tactical knife from a side sheath, stalks the enemy, then charges, jumps up, slashes there throat, and dismounts with a backflip. He can later be upgraded from a knife to a shockstock which stuns instead of kills. You can also instruct him to remain stationary, and then bark really loudly and rapidly. Enemies will run up to him and be distracted by this, and you can silently choke them out easily.

Speaking of keeping deaths down, you are heavily rewarded for stealthy gameplay, but never penalized for going guns blazing. Myself, I'm a stealth game aficionado, and I really like the fulton system introduced for managing that old stealth gameplay loop: leaving behind a trail of recently choked-out guards. At last the traditional giant pile of unconscious men solution is subverted: knock a dude out, attach a weather balloon cluster to his belt, and send that sucker into orbit. He is sent back to your mother base, to be gainfully employed in the merc trade as part of Boss' private merc army, all for no pay! I'm sure all 1200 of these dudes don't have wives or girlfriends or kids back home they might miss, but hey, beats being dead in a ditch.

There are many other things, but drat, this core gameplay of both stealthing and fighting as Big Boss are both incredibly fluid and fun, Boss feels and controls like a confidant badass no matter what he's doing, and it's always smooth as butter. Like always no exceptions, which is a hard thing for an open-world game to reliably do, especially as my memores of the gamecube game felt like I was always trying to game and get ahead of the internal jank of controlling snake reliably.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Mar 29, 2018

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Unfortunately, all those cute tricks are completely useless because the game is so built around using nonlethal weapons and the Fulton system that pretty much anything that deviates from the loop of tranq-drag-Fulton, like D-horse spinning out jeeps with poop or Quiet killing dudes with her loud, loud rifle and pissing off the entire base, are way more of a hassle to use than they're worth.

And D-dog is just Batman vision + even more distraction tools. His best suit is actually his default, his ability to lock an enemy down will not put other guards in alert status, but they'll look at the commotion while giving you time to approach and disable them, so any guards in groups of less than 4 are basically completely disabled by him if you approach them from the opposite angle D-dog took.

Jukebox Hero has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Mar 29, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
MGSV is even more fun if you take the time to experiment with all the different weird weapons and items. Try to resist the lure of always using the most powerful or safest option. It can be a really good time to just drop in with a shotgun, a revolver ,and a suite of weird grenades and mines.

It's a great game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jukebox Hero posted:

Unfortunately, all those cute tricks are completely useless because the game is so built around using nonlethal weapons and the Fulton system that pretty much anything that deviates from the loop of tranq-drag-Fulton, like D-horse spinning out jeeps with poop or Quiet killing dudes with her loud, loud rifle and pissing off the entire base, are way more of a hassle to use than they're worth.

And D-dog is just Batman vision + even more distraction tools. His best suit is actually his default, his ability to lock an enemy down will not put other guards in alert status, but they'll look at the commotion while giving you time to approach and disable them, so any guards in groups of less than 4 are basically completely disabled by him if you approach them from the opposite angle D-dog took.

Give Quiet a tranquilizer rifle and everyone takes a nice temporary nap instead of a permanent one.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Episode 5 of Telltale Batman is amazing. Joker in full on righteous vigilante mode is amazing. :allears:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give Quiet a tranquilizer rifle and everyone takes a nice temporary nap instead of a permanent one.

Unless they're wearing helmets. Quiet only ever, ever makes headshots.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The Lone Badger posted:

Unless they're wearing helmets. Quiet only ever, ever makes headshots.

Technically she aims for the face, because if they're facing her she can still take them out even if they have helmets.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So far FarCry5 is a lot of fun. People say the story isn't great and I question if they've ever played a FC game before.

You get Boomer, the dog, really early if you want. There is a dedicated PET DOG button and several petting animations. He's like a really friendly D-Dog that will kill a bear for you.

I had to peel out of a bad situation on an ATV when Boomer crossed my path to rip out the throat of a Christian zealot.

I accidentally ran him over and had a real world reaction. The sound... gently caress.

So I did what any decent person would:
Mourned the (temporary) loss and burned every psychopath to the ground.
My mounted gun doesn't run out of bullets! Will you run out of bodies?!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

So far FarCry5 is a lot of fun. People say the story isn't great and I question if they've ever played a FC game before.

just because things were bad in the past doesn't mean you should stop calling them bad when they happen again

my favorite little thing in far cry 5 so far is that weird gospel song they play in the camps and the cultists who will sing along to it. pretty creepy and atmospheric

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Serf posted:

just because things were bad in the past doesn't mean you should stop calling them bad when they happen again

my favorite little thing in far cry 5 so far is that weird gospel song they play in the camps and the cultists who will sing along to it. pretty creepy and atmospheric

That song is obnoxiously catchy, too. I found myself singing it on the crapper this morning.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Serf posted:

Oh absolutely. There have just been people that seem shocked that a FC game would have a bad story at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

So far the story in FC5 is pretty lame and rote but it's not actively offensive like FC3.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

exquisite tea posted:

So far the story in FC5 is pretty lame and rote but it's not actively offensive like FC3.

I still lol that the writer for that thought he was telling a really subversive and intellectual story there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Heart of Darkness as adapted by the writer of Ready Player One.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

exquisite tea posted:

Heart of Darkness as adapted by the writer of Ready Player One.

Holy poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Heart of Dorkness

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inzombiac posted:

Oh absolutely. There have just been people that seem shocked that a FC game would have a bad story at all.

exquisite tea posted:

I've read a response to Farcry 5 when compared to its predecessors that kind of amounted to 'at least the other ones tried'. 2-4 at least had themes and ideas that they stuck to, for better or worse, while Farcry 5 doesn't really have the strength of conviction to say anything. So we're comparing 'fumbling stories with ideas' to 'fumbling story without a point'.

The only Farcry I played was Blood Dragon (which honestly was only good when it was giving me cutscenes), so I can't really agree or disagree with it, but I'd give that take a 'seems legit' stamp. It seems like a very Ubisoft mistake to set that stage, walk up to the mic, and get too scared to say anything. It's basically the same way they hosed up the story of the first Watch_Dogs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What do you want Far Cry 5 to say? A lot of people angry over it not being a Trump supporter shooter seem to miss how it was in development before his campaign was getting any momentum. There was quite a bit of projection onto early footage.

Hell, there were people in the FC thread arguing that Ubisoft were trying to appease the alt right because the enemy is multi-ethnic.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Mar 29, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

they made a big deal about how they were talking to real cult survivors and using their experiences as their basis for the game and then seem to ignore literally everything they heard, which is pretty bad. i think people picked up the wrong vibe from the early marketing, but at the same time the game has no idea what its trying to do or say

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

exquisite tea posted:

I know precisely nothing of FC3's story, and I would like to know more about this.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Serf posted:

they made a big deal about how they were talking to real cult survivors and using their experiences as their basis for the game and then seem to ignore literally everything they heard, which is pretty bad. i think people picked up the wrong vibe from the early marketing, but at the same time the game has no idea what its trying to do or say

It suffers from ludonarrative dissonance pretty bad. 95% of the game features you fighting cult members (aka mindless zombies) and then occasionally you trigger a cut scene featuring one of the cult leaders where they mess around with you but DON'T actually kill you. These cut scenes trigger when you reach a certain % in an area at which point you eventually get hit by magic stun bullet which allows the cult to kidnap you. Why aren't they using these magic stun bullets normally? WHO KNOWS!

I'm sure eventually the game will tell you were meant to these things and that the main character was predicted to be the good guy Judas to the bad guy Jesus, but for now it's pretty ridiculous.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Leavemywife posted:

I know precisely nothing of FC3's story, and I would like to know more about this.

It's pretty classic white savior poo poo

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The only Far Cry I've played is Primal

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Leavemywife posted:

The island full of brown people needs a white boy from the outside to show up and fix all their problems.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Leavemywife posted:

FC3 is about a rich white kid and his rich white kid buddies who are captured by modern Somali-style pirates when their plane goes down in paradise. After escaping, some sort of mystical native tattoo bullshit happens and whitey is suddenly the savior of the local people.

After a bunch of other dumb bullshit, you kill the pirate leaders and are eventually given the choice to leave or to ritually sacrifice your main character’s girlfriend for no other reason than she was having a kind of lovely time of this while you were out murdering half the local population and wildlife.

It’s fun enough and well executed enough (like animations and VA) to at least not be grating, but holy gently caress is it stupid.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dewgy posted:

FC3 is about a rich white kid and his rich white kid buddies who are captured by modern Somali-style pirates when their plane goes down in paradise. After escaping, some sort of mystical native tattoo bullshit happens and whitey is suddenly the savior of the local people.

After a bunch of other dumb bullshit, you kill the pirate leaders and are eventually given the choice to leave or to ritually sacrifice your main character’s girlfriend for no other reason than she was having a kind of lovely time of this while you were out murdering half the local population and wildlife.

It’s fun enough and well executed enough (like animations and VA) to at least not be grating, but holy gently caress is it stupid.

I initially read it as a satire on that kind of white savior, though I did plump for the obviously more appropriate ending of killing your girlfriend and promptly getting hosed to death.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The writer claims it was intended as satire, but it was terrible regardless. Was one of those things where it was confused about its own intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

poptart_fairy posted:

The writer claims it was intended as satire, but it was terrible regardless. Was one of those things where it was confused about its own intent.

Yeah the writer definitely believed he was writing some snarky cutting edge satire but his whole angle kinda depends on you picking the sociopath ending which I uh didn’t