Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

America doesn't care about rehabilitation, only punishment.

Rhyno posted:

Has anything of the Gadot stuff been validated yet?

I saw there was a verified Twitter user (writer for some site) saying they know who the poster was and she had told them the story before.

No clue how I'd find who it was now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Can someone summarize what the Gadot issue is? Maybe I missed it in the thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

America doesn't care about rehabilitation, only punishment.

I saw there was a verified Twitter user (writer for some site) saying they know who the poster was and she had told them the story before.

No clue how I'd find who it was now though.

I just hadn't seen any updates in the CD thread which has been pretty on top of that stuff.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Nothing in that story sounds outlandish enough to be immediately dismissed as false.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You can believe the victim and still forgive a human being for doing something dumb and lovely when they were a teenager over a decade ago, fortunately

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Could have sworn what I saw was a checkmarked blogger or something, but I guess I got some wires crossed. A musician who isn't verified, but is pretty upfront about who she is.

https://twitter.com/ShayLeonia/status/930660457475690498

Dacap posted:

It's all up here: http://www.imasurvivor.xyz/

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 4, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
^^Or that works

Dacap posted:

Summarizing the allegation poorly from memory.

Gadot and her friends would go on dates with well to do men that Gadot knew, they had a no sex rule. One time the guy slipped the friend a date rape drug and raped the friend. Gadot didn't believe the friend thought the girl broke the no sex rule and thought the girl was trying to ruin this man who she trusted more than the friend.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 4, 2017

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yikes, that’s a pretty bad story if true.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Yeah it's extremely lovely. But they were also like 18 and 19 year olds.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yeah, I mean, they were adults at the time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m not defending Gadot, but the concept of goons taking issue with teenagers saying horrible things is kind of funny.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well with someone saying they actually have spoken to and know the victim that actually gives the story a lot of validity.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

Summarizing the allegation poorly from memory.

Gadot and her friends would go on dates with well to do men that Gadot knew, they had a no sex rule. One time the guy slipped the friend a date rape drug and raped the friend. Gadot didn't believe the friend thought the girl broke the no sex rule and thought the girl was trying to ruin this man who she trusted more than the friend.

Here I thought the Gal Gadot thing was accusations that her IDF unit participated in some worse than normal poo poo. Like knowingly shelling civilians/hospitals type stuff.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gadot was just a combat trainer, iirc. She never saw combat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc the idf thing is that she was posting support for the idf during their 2014 incursion into gaza for the biannual show of force and killing of innocent Palestinians

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

I believe the victim. I don't much care if you don't.

It can't be outrageous on the internet and all to want to hang out for a source to be backed up. Apparently it has been. Question answered.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 4, 2017

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I have literally seen 1 blog post that was quickly deleted accusing Gadot of something, and never heard it mentioned again. I think it's okay to withhold any judgment until.....anything at all is proven. Like, I can't just say something really poo poo, post it on the internet and ruin someone's life or repuoh my god that's exactly what the internet is for.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

enigmahfc posted:

I have literally seen 1 blog post that was quickly deleted accusing Gadot of something, and never heard it mentioned again. I think it's okay to withhold any judgment until.....anything at all is proven. Like, I can't just say something really poo poo, post it on the internet and ruin someone's life or repuoh my god that's exactly what the internet is for.

There was a good thread on this a while back which I have unfortunately lost but the gist of it was basically looking for 'proof' in assault and related cases is difficult enough when the incident is fresh, and trends closer towards 'impossible' as time goes on. And that's before getting into the fact that the system in general is designed specifically to discredit victims, especially when the accused is a person of power and influence.

The victim deserves consideration and not just to be ignored and maligned by people.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is there non-fight sequence in the MCU better than the bit in Homecoming where Spidey stops a bike thief and does a flip for a random New Yorker?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

SonicRulez posted:

Is there non-fight sequence in the MCU better than the bit in Homecoming where Spidey stops a bike thief and does a flip for a random New Yorker?

michael pena telling stories in ant man

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would also vote for:

-the Steve Rogers training stuff in Cap 1
-Thor talking to Surtur at the beginning of Ragnarok

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

I just hadn't seen any updates in the CD thread which has been pretty on top of that stuff.

The alleged victim's twitter account hasn't posted anything since Nov 15. https://twitter.com/imasurvivor4eva/with_replies

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There was a good thread on this a while back which I have unfortunately lost but the gist of it was basically looking for 'proof' in assault and related cases is difficult enough when the incident is fresh, and trends closer towards 'impossible' as time goes on. And that's before getting into the fact that the system in general is designed specifically to discredit victims, especially when the accused is a person of power and influence.

The victim deserves consideration and not just to be ignored and maligned by people.
This is absolutely true, but in this case where the victim is one single completely anonymous article about an unverifiable incident on a site no one's ever heard of before that has since been taken down, it's like...okay, so what do we do here? There's no case. There are no accounts. We can't identify the victim, and the actual indictable crime here wasn't even committed by Gadot according to the story told. And I'm really not saying any of this to be dismissive at all, but this is the situation as it objectively stands. Are we just supposed to be publicly disapproving at Gadot and...I dunno, maybe tweet angry things at her until she breaks down and admits the truth about being a heinous person thirteen years ago in an interview somewhere?

It sucks. It completely sucks that it's so hard for victims of sex crimes to find support and vindication in our rape-supportive culture, that they have to hurdle such hoops only to be dismissed. And there are ways for us to improve on that, and I wouldn't mind at all if this case could be investigated somehow. But similarly, it just feels bluntly infeasible to simply take this story at face value. At minimum it might be helpful if it weren't an anonymous article, though obviously I understand why someone would prefer to be anonymous here.

Maybe I'm being a lovely person here too, and when the truth somehow comes out I'll have to eat these words. Hey, here's hoping! But before that happens, "always believe the victim" is not always a flawless answer either.

edit: .................wow this post comes across really badly with the avatar I have..........

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 5, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel different about accusations that have a name or face attached than I do about anonymous accusations on the internet. I don’t think people are willing to out themselves through the meat grinder of public scrutiny to make those kinds of claims falsely outside of edge cases, but I think that’s probably a lot more likely with the safety of anonymity where you can say anything without consequence.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Even without weird anonymous accusations she’s still a terrorist.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Someone went internet detective on the Gadot thing and found some interesting bits regarding the author who published the article on Medium. I relayed that in the Sexual Harassment thread in CineD. Again, I'm not dismissing the accusation against Gadot at all entirely, but the information that was found makes the whole thing a bit more suspect.

You can click on the date/time in the tweet to expand the thread on twitter to read the whole thing.

teagone posted:

Someone did some digging on Twitter and linked the author of the Gadot article to an account on Kinja under the username Kateri. This link between hasn't been verified however, and the author on twitter denies any association with that account, but the Kateri user on Kinja did post this comment on a Jezebel article about Gadot 3 days before the Medium article was published that seems kinda suspect:
https://twitter.com/xwondergal/status/930673263423959041

After that was brought up, from what I've read either the Kateri account on Kinja was deleted by the user, or they changed their username. The same twitter user who found the Kinja account also presented more info on the alleged author. Again, not verified, but the twitter thread below is pretty interesting (click on the time/date to bring up the whole thread with replies):
https://twitter.com/xwondergal/status/930820227088216064

[edit] Someone also mentioned if you were the victim, why publish an anonymous article on Medium and not take the story directly, while still maintaining anonymity, to a bigger media outlet like The New York Times or Hollywood Reporter.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 5, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, but by paying taxes I tacitly support the American Military Industrial Complex so I don’t know how much room I have to criticize.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

Even without weird anonymous accusations she’s still a terrorist.
And it's hyperbole like these that unfortunately make the accusations even harder to take at face value.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BrianWilly posted:

And it's hyperbole like these that unfortunately make the accusations even harder to take at face value.

What hyperbole? She’s a known member of IDF.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ojjeorago posted:

She’s a known member of IDF.

I know she supports them now (or in that tweet from 2014 or w/e at least,) but it's a compulsory service, isn't it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ojjeorago posted:

What hyperbole? She’s a known member of IDF.

We're all terrorists on SA.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Teenage Fansub posted:

I know she supports them now (or in that tweet from 2014 or w/e at least,) but it's a compulsory service, isn't it?

Unless you’re able to get some kind of exemption, religious or otherwise.

Which in 2013 was about 1/4 of them.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SonicRulez posted:

This would have gotten my vote a few months ago, but then I saw Thor's "lullaby".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm really fond of the bit where Natasha makes a SAW reference and then begins to explain it to Steve who's just "I know, I've watched it". He must get so tired of people explaining things to him.

The entire Avengers party in AoU

poly and open-minded posted:

michael pena telling stories in ant man

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's a Wargames reference. :argh:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SonicRulez posted:

It’s not really a funny scene, but the whole Father and Son sequence from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SonicRulez posted:

The homage's to 70s political thrillers in Winter Soldier
https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/937426821334802433
Also the scene where Steve is running laps around Sam in the beginning of Winter Soldier

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I mean it's obvious Gal had that woman silenced right? As in she's telling the fishes now.

JT Smiley posted:

This would have gotten my vote a few months ago, but then I saw Thor's "lullaby".

I loved a different Spiderman bit:
https://youtu.be/lxsLHxEqvGE

Mostly for Keaton's evil eyes in the traffic lights around 2:11. Maybe my favorite mcu scene.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

teagone posted:

We're all terrorists on SA.

Goons did 9/11 200 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

mycot posted:

Goons did 9/11 200 times.

That's as many as 1800/2200s, that's terrible!

• Locked thread