Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Am I the only one still slogging through persona 5?

Barely cleared the fourth palace...I am beginning to re-think my decision to play on hard since it ultimately just lengthens the game. This is one long ride, and I'm starting to not give a poo poo about the character interactions....I guess I also started skipping through a lot of text towards the latter half of P3 and P4 but whew lads anime banter between cartoon friends just isn't an interesting way for me to spend any of my waking time.

The rest of the game is still solid but I'm kinda ready to beat it. I know, there's probably still another 40 hours in this thing.

SMTIV is still the better product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

The difficulty of Souls games is massively overblown imo. Father Gascione (or however you spell it) was the only boss in Bloodborne that took me more than a few tries. The Dark Souls games proper I think are a little tougher than Bloodborne but if you're having too much trouble with a boss you can just summon a dude that's run through it 5000 times and he'll handle most of the heavy lifting for you.

Seriously, don't let the "PREPARE TO DIE!!!!" fervor put you off playing them, they're really good and not meaningfully harder than something like Devil May Cry.

My favorite thing about "Prepare to die" is that the trailer that had it ended with "Prepare to live".

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Weapons break extremely quickly (a little longer than one layer if you don't die) if you use any cursed gem with -durability on it. It takes the mechanic from something you never notice to "why are they STILL copy/pasting this poo poo."

I'd be less critical of bloodborne's flaws if it was their first or second game of that style, not their fourth. As it is, it's frustrating that their art direction is fantastic in every game but the gameplay itself doesn't improve that much under the microscope. Demon's souls pioneered a great deal of stuff such as the asynchronous online features, and dark souls 1 was a solid development and refinement of its ideas. Since then, I don't feel like any one game has been that much better than the last. From's games are always good but they can be held to a higher standard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I preordered the game and am still in the 3rd dungeon. haven't played in like a month now

there were some changes I don't appreciate from the previous games (I miss the heal station in dungeons for example) and I kinda miss playing this series on a handheld, but really idk why I haven't gone back to it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What does MGSV prioritize in grading missions? I just got an S rank (Angel with broken wings) when I was expecting to be panned. I was more reckless than usual and got caught a few times in order to save the optional prisoners. Also I'm pretty sure I killed a few people, contrary to the mission summary screen.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I kinda miss playing this series on a handheld

That's really the main thing for me, I think. Such a massively involved yet "slow" game really is best fitted to a portable. I hate being chained to my TV, no different than my setup at work where I sit in front of a screen.

Oh and healing stations became a non-issue for me once I got the SP recovery accessories from the doctor (I had to get her SL to 6 or 7 I think). So at least that's easy to mitigate.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rinkles posted:

What does MGSV prioritize in grading missions? I just got an S rank (Angel with broken wings) when I was expecting to be panned. I was more reckless than usual and got caught a few times in order to save the optional prisoners. Also I'm pretty sure I killed a few people, contrary to the mission summary screen.

Speed, mostly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Digirat posted:

Weapons break extremely quickly (a little longer than one layer if you don't die) if you use any cursed gem with -durability on it. It takes the mechanic from something you never notice to "why are they STILL copy/pasting this poo poo."

I'd be less critical of bloodborne's flaws if it was their first or second game of that style, not their fourth. As it is, it's frustrating that their art direction is fantastic in every game but the gameplay itself doesn't improve that much under the microscope. Demon's souls pioneered a great deal of stuff such as the asynchronous online features, and dark souls 1 was a solid development and refinement of its ideas. Since then, I don't feel like any one game has been that much better than the last. From's games are always good but they can be held to a higher standard.

To be honest I've never been a fan of the Souls control scheme and I hope that whatever new game they're working on gives them the chance to reinvent their controller mapping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Speed, mostly.

I took my sweet time in the second part of the mission.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

To be honest I've never been a fan of the Souls control scheme and I hope that whatever new game they're working on gives them the chance to reinvent their controller mapping.

WILD SPECULATION: it's gonna be godhand with the shoulders mapped to left and right arms.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

That's really the main thing for me, I think. Such a massively involved yet "slow" game really is best fitted to a portable. I hate being chained to my TV, no different than my setup at work where I sit in front of a screen.

Oh and healing stations became a non-issue for me once I got the SP recovery accessories from the doctor (I had to get her SL to 6 or 7 I think). So at least that's easy to mitigate.

one other thing is that there's obviously gonna be a better version of the game at some point like all the other persona games, so not finishing it this time doesn't really matter

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Beat Yakuza 0. Great game. Didn't really finish everything, but I'm gonna uninstall it to make room for some of the other games I've bought but haven't played yet. I'll come back to it some time.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I took my sweet time in the second part of the mission.

If you got alerts and kills and still got an S rank then you must have been fast enough for the game to be impressed. You can go at a medium pace and ghost missions and still S-rank, but the simplest way to S most missions is unlock a helicopter landing next to your objective, fly in hot, bust some heads, get what you need, and get out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rinkles posted:

Speed is big. However completely ghosting a mission will give you enough bonus points that you could take an hour to do a mission and still get an S

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

MGSV prioritizes players fun in their choice of playstyle, when grading.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Just watched a video of someone playing through Angel With Broken Wings and man, I forgot how good MGSV's sound design is. Time to go back and replay a few missions I think.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The score in metal gear is actually a really intelligent system. If you want to play it as a shooter and just run around and shoot people then you'll get points for finishing the level quickly. If you want to stealth it, then it doesn't matter how long you take, just that you stealth successfully, and it will give you points for no alerts. You just need to do something well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's a pretty good system. I wish it was a little harder to get those S ranks though. It's not much of a challenge. V has the least challenging ranking system of any MGS.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
How are you supposed to deal with the mechs stealthily? Every time I go back to MGSV I end up giving up because I'm on a mission where I'm supposed to extract a VIP who's located in the middle of a vast swath of desert with mechs searching for him. I can't neutralize the mechs without being extremely loud, and I can't get to him faster than they can without being obvious and getting spotted.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

How are you supposed to deal with the mechs stealthily? Every time I go back to MGSV I end up giving up because I'm on a mission where I'm supposed to extract a VIP who's located in the middle of a vast swath of desert with mechs searching for him. I can't neutralize the mechs without being extremely loud, and I can't get to him faster than they can without being obvious and getting spotted.

You can tranq the mech pilots. They aren't armored from the back.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It's been awhile since I've played so I can't say for that mission specifically, but if you have d-horse there is nothing that you can't very quickly stealth past. He's kinda broken, but all the companions are in their own ways

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

KingSlime posted:

Barely cleared the fourth palace...I am beginning to re-think my decision to play on hard since it ultimately just lengthens the game. This is one long ride, and I'm starting to not give a poo poo about the character interactions....I guess I also started skipping through a lot of text towards the latter half of P3 and P4 but whew lads anime banter between cartoon friends just isn't an interesting way for me to spend any of my waking time.

The rest of the game is still solid but I'm kinda ready to beat it. I know, there's probably still another 40 hours in this thing.

SMTIV is still the better product

Lower the difficulty to normal

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Also if you were like me and didn't hear You can get Quiet back now

It was really cool thematically, but this game was built to replay so its nice for that.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty good system. I wish it was a little harder to get those S ranks though. It's not much of a challenge. V has the least challenging ranking system of any MGS.

A little bit of mission randomization would have done wonders. The scoring system is fine, it's just that once you know the mission you can always use the same path to beeline to the objective and get your S. If going hard required more risk and improvisation, that'd do a lot to balance it against stealth.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not being random is really good actually. gently caress trying to route out a mission when it's random; that sucks

it would have been nice if the difficulty modifiers were actually just that. it seems like that was the intent but I guess konami ran out of patience before they could do it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

acksplode posted:

A little bit of mission randomization would have done wonders. The scoring system is fine, it's just that once you know the mission you can always use the same path to beeline to the objective and get your S. If going hard required more risk and improvisation, that'd do a lot to balance it against stealth.

Yeah theres the tacking the cargo truck mission, that you can just start at. Sniper missions that you know where to post up. Turns it into Hitman lite a bit. If you are trying to completions S rank everything is helpful I guess.

But

:colbert: that tactic aint going to recruit you ever soldier and animal in the land.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

I ignored the ranking systems in all the MGS games until V because trying to keep my standards up for an entire multiple-hour playthrough where you can't even restart a section or save without it affecting your rank seemed not fun

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mother base seems to be a bit more hassle to manage than it needed to be. And managing security team missions is giving me mobile F2P vibes (doesn't matter if it's ignorable).

So far I think it's a step back in a number of ways from Peace Walker, even just in terms of displaying information.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Mother base seems to be a bit more hassle to manage than it needed to be. And managing security team missions is giving me mobile F2P vibes (doesn't matter if it's ignorable).

So far I think it's a step back in a number of ways from Peace Walker, even just in terms of displaying information.

Yeah (ignore mother base) Do the missions that get you whatever ore for the next gun you are building towards.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Having played Peace Walker after V, I have to agree. V added more complexity to all of those things, which didn't really make them any more fun, just more hassle.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm looking for feedback on if I should go for the Slim Uncharted bundle in the Prime sale for $229. I focus on PC gaming and Nintendo, but there are enough exclusives that make me want a PS4 too, especially coming in the future.

Is this deal good enough to jump on? Can I expect better? I'm not in a huge rush to get a system, but I'll bite now if the deal is worth it.

I'm assuming I don't need to consider the Pro if I don't have 4K.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Pro will give you 60 frames on a bunch of games at 1080. It that important to you? Also is that $180 important to you?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Revol posted:

I'm looking for feedback on if I should go for the Slim Uncharted bundle in the Prime sale for $229. I focus on PC gaming and Nintendo, but there are enough exclusives that make me want a PS4 too, especially coming in the future.

Is this deal good enough to jump on? Can I expect better? I'm not in a huge rush to get a system, but I'll bite now if the deal is worth it.

I'm assuming I don't need to consider the Pro if I don't have 4K.

The Pro has nice QOL improvements even without a 4K TV, but a $229 bundle is probably the best deal you'll get before the fall.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Pro isn't worth almost twice the price of the Slim if you don't have a 4K TV, plus the bundled game is really good.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
as a 60 fps nerd lord, i couldn't justify the price of the pro, ESPECIALLY if you already game on PC. I only play exclusives on there so the lack of slightly higher fidelity doesn't bother me in the slightest.

the bang for the buck is really bad with the pro, if you only care about some exclusives I wouldn't spend the extra cash, save it for some PC upgrades or something later on

if PS4 was my main console however, I would def consider the extra cost even without a 4k tv

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Wow, Horizon Zero Dawn is making my system loud as hell. That's a nice "take a break" reminder.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you everyone for the kind words :D

And now some photos!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My friend has been sending me shots of Horizon all week and it looks so so good for a PS4 game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My friend has been sending me shots of Horizon all week and it looks so so good for a PS4 game.

It's a gorgeous game for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Lessail posted:

Wow, Horizon Zero Dawn is making my system loud as hell. That's a nice "take a break" reminder.

Check for dust. If you have a Pro or a Slim it's easy to clean the fan without breaking the warranty.