Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

AbsolutelySane posted:

It doesn't even make sense as Sam Houston told the Confederacy to gently caress off and didn't join.

standing up for America by defending statutes of traitors doesn't either, but never stops them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Area man jerks off America for 2 hours

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

AbsolutelySane posted:

It doesn't even make sense as Sam Houston told the Confederacy to gently caress off and didn't join.

He owned a few slaves and he was also pretty lovely to native americans. Which are the arguments actually made by Houston antifa. And also which are good and valid arguments.

I agree that these dudes are confused as gently caress though.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HappyHippo posted:

Saying that trade deals have been bad for workers is not the same as saying that isolationism is the only solution. One of the major problems with "free trade" deals is that they put workers in western countries with stricter labour and environmental laws in competition with workers in countries without those protections. Naturally this results in some of the work being outsourced. Better trade deals would avoid that.

Right exactly. It's like people think there is nothing you can do about "globalization". Of course we can, we need to renegotiate these trade agreements to include much more worker protections. NAFTA virtually has none of that and why it's so awful, not for the reasons Trump gives like "trade deficits".

My view is trade is always good in the aggregate or nobody would do it. The problem isn't trade as such but dis-aggregate the benefits so they go not just to capital but to citizens generally. The obvious way to do that is to tax the rich who benefit differentially from globalization and use those revenues to invest in areas that benefit workers (education, health care, common infrastructure).

The problem with the conservatives in America is that they don't want to fairly allocate the benefits of trade by increasing taxes on the rich, and they want the costs of trade (fewer low skill jobs, more job competition, more negotiating power for capital) to fall on workers. My guess is whatever trade arrangements our government enters into will continue to impoverish workers. And if they don't enter into those arrangements, then the result is less aggregate wealth, impoverishing workers.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 10, 2017

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
This entire twitter thread is pretty pro-click. Apparently, a bunch of Trump supporters, and alt-right weirdos showed up to counter-protest a fake protest that a different alt-right group set up claiming antifa and BLM were going to try and remove the Sam Houston statute from a park in Houston.

https://twitter.com/evan7257/status/873570946484981760

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hate that the replies to that guy's stupid loving tweetstorm are supportive. it should have an insane ratio but it don't.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sab0921 posted:

This entire twitter thread is pretty pro-click. Apparently, a bunch of Trump supporters, and alt-right weirdos showed up to counter-protest a fake protest that a different alt-right group set up claiming antifa and BLM were going to try and remove the Sam Houston statute from a park in Houston.

How do you dress like that, look in the mirror, and not realize that ending your life is the only option?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I think it says volumes when you're more afraid of being stabbed than you are of being kicked in the groin.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hate that the replies to that guy's stupid loving tweetstorm are supportive. it should have an insane ratio but it don't.

The replies aren't really supportive? They're mocking them and of course internet "WELL ACTUALLY THAT ARMOR WONT HELP AGAINST STABBING"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

I think it says volumes when you're more afraid of being stabbed than you are of being kicked in the groin.

"I'll be fine, their aim can't possibly be that good"

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How do you dress like that, look in the mirror, and not realize that ending your life is the only option?

Look at him. He clearly knows.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

He owned a few slaves and he was also pretty lovely to native americans. Which are the arguments actually made by Houston antifa. And also which are good and valid arguments.

This is true, but if we're going that route we'll be tearing down monuments to nearly every significant figure in United States history up to the Civil War or so. Slavery and the treatment of Native Americans are both stains on the history of the country, but you're going to have a really hard time convincing people we should be blowing up monuments to George Washington who also owned slaves and was lovely to Native Americans. I was just pointing out that Houston knew the Confederacy was a loving stupid idea and wanted nothing to do with it. I can only imagine what he'd think of those knuckleheads.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sab0921 posted:

Hey I know that guy who tweeted that. Friend of my brother's and reporter for Houston chronicle. Good dude, writes good articles. Son of one of the Enron whistleblowers. Small world.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's that Eric Garland freakout about? He's just arbitrarily decided that there must be a conspiracy about to be revealed?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

citybeatnik posted:

I don't think he has anything down there to worry about.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

On the one hand it's insane, on the other there have been instances of the GOP doing nothing at best. I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm really hoping for turbofucking.

edit: looking at the last few tweets the guy is sounding pretty drat crazy.

Yeah he's communicating like a conspiracy loon.

The problem is that there has been such an avalanche of crazy poo poo coming to life it's legitimately getting difficult to tell if someone is getting :tinfoil: or is making plausible collusion claims. Trump's administration has already had so much insanity, from Sessions' recusal to Nunes' stupid collusion early in his term to the ever growing pile of shady Russian oligarch/government connections between Trump and his whole cadre of traitorous asshats.

I mean, Trump already fired the FBI director for not dropping the Russia investigaton, then bragged about it to Russian diplomats.

I would honestly consider and look into almost any accusation against the president at this point, even if it seems too stupid or crazy to be true.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah but the deism of Confederate war generals and figures as rebels against an uncivilized North is a narrative which should not be supported, and that begins with these totems being torn down, taking them out of our squares. We're not going to 'forget' the war without them, we just won't be honoring them.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 11, 2017

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

RasperFat posted:

I would honestly consider and look into almost any accusation against the president at this point, even if it seems too stupid or crazy to be true.
The piss tape is real my dude.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

JuniperCake posted:

How is it weird? Mathematics forms the basis by which computers work in the first place. The hardest problems you face in computing tend to be very difficult math problems. Especially in Machine Learning which is what we are talking about here. It is what it is.

Though in respect to automation, we can prove for a fact that there are a significant number of problems that cannot be solved by a computer. Since the subject in question is what is and what's not possible in automation it's important to point out that computers have fundamental limitations. The ultimate limits of what can be achieved through automation are unknown but at least we can rule a few things out by proving whether a language is decidable or undecidable. That's pretty much a cornerstone of the discipline.

Also the question is what machines can do, not what humans can do. In terms of raw calculation humans have nothing on a computer so why even bring that up? Most human's can't calculate the 1000th digit of pi in their head but a computer does it in a fraction of a second. We are slowpokes.

It just really seems like you might be misunderstanding what sort of thing "the halting problem" is. It doesn't limit automation of jobs since anything stopped by the halting problem (some sort of weird nonexistent job of deciding ahead of time if any arbitrary programs halt, including programs that include a copy of your own brain?????) already can't be done by people either so can't be replaced by a machine.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Serfer posted:

The piss tape is real my dude.

Oh I believe it now with 99% certainty. It seemed so silly when it came out originally, but it's my understanding that basically everything confirmable on that dossier has been confirmed. There's no reason for me to doubt it.

Also Trump crying "No Russian hookers! You're the Russian hooker! I always assume hookers are recording me!" is basically him confirming it for us.

Shibby0709
Oct 30, 2011

one fat looking fat guy

Captain Monkey posted:

You're a little bit mistaken. Houston lived with the Cherokee for several years in Tennessee and could speak the language fluently. While President of Texas he advocated for peaceful coexistence with the Comanche. His political rival, Mirabeau B. Lamar, wanted total elimination of them.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

theflyingorc posted:

Confounding's central thesis is that isolationism and as little trade as possible is the best thing for the economy. He's best to ignore when discussing trade.

I thought Confounding Factor's central thesis involved making Mexicans self deport to somehow fix income inequality.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alexis_levinson/status/873663431857106944
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/873611102948610048
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/873660528660430848
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/873599395735797760
https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/873590413537427456
https://twitter.com/PissPigGrandma/status/873661876353155072

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

business hammocks posted:

What's that Eric Garland freakout about? He's just arbitrarily decided that there must be a conspiracy about to be revealed?

Eric Garland's up there with Louise Mensch for being an unhinged diaper wearer who's riding the conspiracy theory train to internet celebrity.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Antifa didn't say anything about Sam Houston or his statue, I'm pretty sure. It was all a hoax.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If it makes you feel better these guys flee from 12 year olds armed with nothing but potty mouths.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

citybeatnik posted:

Why the gently caress would I need to calculate that in the first drat place?

Come back to me when you have a machine that can find my car keys without needing to be hooked up to the internet or can trim my dog's nails without her freaking the gently caress out.

:same:

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

So Eric Garland is obviously a crazy person, but it does remind me. What ever happened with the Washington Post tapes on Paul Ryan swearing people to secrecy and acting gangster-like saying "this is how we know who's family."

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Why is Trump such a huge magnet for the garbage trash people from my country?

Im sorry America, we arent helping at all. :smith:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This warms my heart by several degrees

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Party Plane Jones I appreciate your roundups.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Furnaceface posted:

Why is Trump such a huge magnet for the garbage trash people from my country?

Im sorry America, we arent helping at all. :smith:

Because nobody but like Albertan rurals cares about them so they go to get sweet American wingnut welfare.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Because nobody but like Albertan rurals cares about them so they go to get sweet American wingnut welfare.

At least throwing pee on Lauren Southern is a thing our two countries can share and enjoy. :unsmith:

Yes, this is the second time she has showed up to a racist rally and had pee thrown on her. Yes its still funny.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope the swear in Sessions this time.

Also, how can he not throw Trump under the bus? He's gotta know he's facing a dead end with this administration.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Will this hearing be public?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've never heard of Lauren Southern before, but I'm glad they threw pee on her.

Also, something I've been wondering: What's the story behind the current antifa movement? Have they been around this whole time and I just wasn't aware? Did everyone just decide to start throwing on black for protests after the election?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Never forget that for all the crowing about "liberal welfare moochers" deep red states take way more welfare per capita than blue states. Blue states actually feed positive money into these programs while the red ones take more than they give in.

Of course that doesn't jive with the narrative that "urban" people are stealing our tax dollars! :freep:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've never heard of Lauren Southern before, but I'm glad they threw pee on her.

Also, something I've been wondering: What's the story behind the current antifa movement? Have they been around this whole time and I just wasn't aware? Did everyone just decide to start throwing on black for protests after the election?

A small kernel of black-wearing assholes who like having excuses to break things and start fights black bloc anarchists and suchlike has always been around, but the more organized, slightly less shits-and-giggles antifa stuff is fairly new.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I'm fine with punching nazis, but don't throw pee at them.

That implies collecting, which seems like a level of madness too far. Like you can pee on them right on site, but come on let's not get tooooooo crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

PhazonLink posted:

I'm fine with punching nazis, but don't throw pee at them.

That implies collecting, which seems like a level of madness too far. Like you can pee on them right on site, but come on let's not get tooooooo crazy.

Pissing got us into this mess, it's not going to get us out of it.

• Locked thread