Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My realistic dream cars are in this order:

1: Bay window VW westfalia camper with rumble bed
2: Grumman LLV
3: 1st or 2nd gen Civic (living vicariouisly through 14 inch right now)
4: OG Fiat 500
5: OG Mini

My "no way no how" dream car list goes like this:

1: Splittie VW bus westfalia (same scheme as the Lego kit)
2: VW Samba bus
3: Bugatti Veyron
4: Bugatti Veyron
5: Project Binky's mini (but finished)

Seeing an LLV burning hurts :( Good thing there's millions more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Splizwarf posted:

D'aww, they even burn like real cars. :allears:

Pretty sure its a s10 BLAZER with a GM 2.2L underneath so something something GM fire joke here.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

Pretty sure its a s10 BLAZER with a GM 2.2L underneath so something something GM fire joke here.
The Grumman Long Life Vehicle is a vehicle with a long life... but hoo boy when that life ends ya best back the gently caress up :kingsley:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Preoptopus posted:

Correct, the important bits are basically all drawn from the S-10. 2WD frontend, 4WD rear axle, Iron Puke on the older models and 2.2 on the newer ones.

I've always wondered if a sufficiently crazy individual could cram a Syclone/Typhoon drivetrain in one, AWD and all. That would make for a stupidly fun sleeper at the drag strip.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

veedubfreak posted:

This thread always makes me happy I opted for the 100k mile warranty on my car, and also why I spend the extra money to buy new every few years.

This thread makes me glad i own a hyundai. Ok, they arent immune to the silly design issues, but... the jarvik thermostat? who the gently caress though that was a good idea.
Today i found out that in some jeeps, the EGR valve is buried right near the bottom back of the block, nearly impossible to get at.. oh.. and the inlet manifold is also the tappet cover? what the gently caress??

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

wolrah posted:

Correct, the important bits are basically all drawn from the S-10. 2WD frontend, 4WD rear axle, Iron Puke on the older models and 2.2 on the newer ones.

I've always wondered if a sufficiently crazy individual could cram a Syclone/Typhoon drivetrain in one, AWD and all. That would make for a stupidly fun sleeper at the drag strip.

What about the S10 SBC swap kits? How much of the S10 front end was actually used?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What about the S10 SBC swap kits? How much of the S10 front end was actually used?

As far as I'm aware it's pretty close to exactly a 2 door Blazer/Jimmy chassis under there, so interference with the body should be the only concern.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

KozmoNaut posted:

It happens due to long-term neglect, lack of chain lubrication and probably riding in sand or other abrasive environments.

That chain is probably at least the second or third chain to be used on that sprocket, based on how quickly chains usually wear in relation to sprockets.

I always replaced chain and sprocket at the same time. People dont do this?

Wasabi the J posted:

The chain slipping might lead to those goosebumps being removed though.

Interestingly, didn't Honda and some others have a hi lo gear box?

suzuki TC125!!!
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...nJvva2BFUyRM%3A
4 gears, and a hi-lo range gearbox you were supposed to change over when the bike was still..

yea.. that never happened.

I actually killed mine by lowsiding into a track i had worn in the horse paddock, and it turned the gearbox into shiny little pieces of time to get another bike.

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 1, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

rainwulf posted:

I always replaced chain and sprocket at the same time. People dont do this?

If you're using a steel sprocket, there's no need. Sprockets have no moving parts, but chains have a jillion.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Safety Dance posted:

If you're using a steel sprocket, there's no need. Sprockets have no moving parts, but chains have a jillion.

This is the opposite of everything I've ever heard about chains and sprockets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

We're still talking about motorcycles, right? A steel sprocket will last for a few chains. An aluminum sprocket probably needs to be changed every chain or two.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
If you let the chain stretch to the point where it alters the shape of the sprocket (damages it), then you have to change both. Putting a new chain on a damaged sprocket will just ruin the new chain.

If you change the chain before the sprocket changes shape, then you get to keep your sprocket because you haven't caused damage to it.

This is true for everything with a chain and a gear. Bicycles, motorcycles, etc.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My mom has worked for USPS for 30+ years and she has absolutely nothing nice to say about LLVs. The primary issues are weak heat, no air conditioning, and no traction in snow. It is pretty dumb to use the exact same vehicle in the entire country when different regions have different weather to deal with.

FYI USPS pays no local or state taxes to operate their vehicles on roads.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I figured since they're a federal sort of thing they probably didn't have to, same as military vehicles don't. They don't even run license plates, I saw a white dodge 3500 on i95 the other day with post office badges on the sides and all it had was a post office logo plate with no unit number on the license plate spot.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

When i worked at pepboys we fixed al the local post office trucks. And most of them were a ford explorer in drag. Either way there a poo poo vehicle with poo poo insides.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
"There was a loud explosion, and then flames started shooting out of (the vehicle)", according to the news. Also, no one was hurt, fortunately.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geirskogul posted:

2: Grumman LLV

:stare:

WHY?

SouthsideSaint posted:

When i worked at pepboys we fixed al the local post office trucks. And most of them were a ford explorer in drag. Either way there a poo poo vehicle with poo poo insides.

You're thinking of the FFV, which was a very low production vehicle (even by USPS standards)

The FFV has been a bit of a clusterfuck - they were originally built to take advantage of E85 (hence Flex Fuel Vehicle), but E85 isn't widely available outside of major metro areas. Since they have a larger engine to compensate for the loss of power in E85, they're a bit more thirsty than the LLV. And of course, being a Ford 4.0 V6, they're going to cost a lot more than the LLV to keep going thanks to the hosed up timing chain setup. The LLV uses the old Iron Duke, which is a noisy underpowered pile of poo poo, but it's a pile of poo poo that just keeps chugging along, putting down a thundering 110 hp in the most powerful production version, with an eardrum-splitting redline of 5500 RPM.

The FFV is supposedly a bit more comfortable, and some areas got 4x4 versions. But I might see a couple of those a year vs the Grumman LLV (the oldest of which are long past their scheduled retirement - it was originally designed to last 20 years, but they still have some of the originals from 1987 in service).

wolrah posted:

Any idea what year they went to the 2.2? Wikipedia (which is always an accurate resource :rolleyes:) claims they all got the Iron Duke, in both the Gruman LLV article and the Iron Duke article.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Forgot to post this, because I'm just used to everything being a horrible mechanical disaster on the Rover.

ZF power steering pump decided to vomit it bearings out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sNAbheNxc0

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

some texas redneck posted:

Any idea what year they went to the 2.2? Wikipedia (which is always an accurate resource :rolleyes:) claims they all got the Iron Duke, in both the Gruman LLV article and the Iron Duke article.

I actually got the 2.2 part from wikipedia, all the ones I've seen have had the Duke. Presumably only in the '94 models, since that's the only year the Blazer had it which overlapped with LLV production.

PBCrunch posted:

The primary issues are weak heat, no air conditioning, and no traction in snow. It is pretty dumb to use the exact same vehicle in the entire country when different regions have different weather to deal with.

At least the USPS seems to agree with that assessment, their RFP for the replacement specifically notes the climate control and need to occasionally plow through snow. They want both 2WD and 4x4 options for the next one.

Given their stop and go driving and relatively predictable range requirements I wouldn't be surprised to see a range-extended or full EV considered for the role.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 2, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

wolrah posted:

Given their stop and go driving and relatively predictable range requirements I wouldn't be surprised to see a range-extended or full EV considered for the role.
They might not want to do that until the 20+ year reliability of EVs is proven.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

PBCrunch posted:

They might not want to do that until the 20+ year reliability of EVs is proven.
They could do a hybrid, the first gen Prius is pushing 20 years.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Wrar posted:

They could do a hybrid, the first gen Prius is pushing 20 years.

Holy loving poo poo :aaaaa:

Yeah, introduced 1997, available in the US in 2001. I had no idea it was that long ago.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I think some 1st gen Priuses are still kicking in metermaid duty for some cities. I do a double take when I see one, but they are out there.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

There's one right up the street from me but I live in a magical land of no rust.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sudo Echo posted:

There's one right up the street from me but I live in a magical land of no rust.

Do the current LLVs succumb to rust? Might just be a matter of using thicker sheet metal if you are in fact building for durability, although it would be a bit tougher without a body-on-frame design.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Enourmo posted:

Do the current LLVs succumb to rust? Might just be a matter of using thicker sheet metal if you are in fact building for durability, although it would be a bit tougher without a body-on-frame design.

The bodies are aluminum.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I got a picture text from a coworker of an axle tube snapped in half. Our "needs some love" 7k trailer apparently gave up the ghost on the remaining original axle.

Went over with a jack, torches and some blocks of wood and pulled the axle and drove the bastard home.

The equalizers are not supposed to be vented, or have oblong holes :psyduck:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I think some 1st gen Priuses are still kicking in metermaid duty for some cities. I do a double take when I see one, but they are out there.

I still see plenty of them driving around. I always think it's an Echo until I do a double take and look at the badge.

Roadkill managed to kill a 2nd gen, but they were beating on it hard, and it had right at 400k miles.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Safety Dance posted:

Yea, but in wearing said jillion parts, the chain stretches, and deforms the teeth on the sprockets. All the bike mechanics i have ever talked to said to replace all as a set.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
This is really the only sound way to do it if everything is worn as one. I have seen people throw a new rear sprocket with a different tooth count with a worn chain ( if it falls within the adjustable range) and nuke the new rear sprocket in no time. Same thing with a new chain on slightly poo poo sprockets.

The customer seems to have found his way and will be doing chain and sprockets, guide insert and rollers. Along with the rest of the neglected maintenance on his bike.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
On a bicycle, a new chain on a worn sprocket will give you a horrible experience. The chain is "shorter" and less worn, and the sprocket is worn, meaning that N links of chain will end up on N-1 teeth of sprocket, leading to chain skipping and/or losing the chain. Given the speed and forces involved on a motorbike, I can't imagine it would be advisable to be stingy.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

bolind posted:

On a bicycle, a new chain on a worn sprocket will give you a horrible experience. The chain is "shorter" and less worn, and the sprocket is worn, meaning that N links of chain will end up on N-1 teeth of sprocket, leading to chain skipping and/or losing the chain. Given the speed and forces involved on a motorbike, I can't imagine it would be advisable to be stingy.

I can understand the reluctance, changing a sprocket usually revolves pulling the rear axle bolt out and messing with the side cover over the primary sprocket, and heaven help the last bastard who welded on that loving nut OMFG

My dad has been riding bikes since he was a wee lad, and same with me, and yea, i have always replaced them as a set, especially since the front one wears quicker then the rear.

perhaps on super low power bikes and mountainbikes/bmxes i guess, but on a motorbike, its never been an option for me. Precut chain length, front sprocket, rear sprocket, and a bit of swearing as you find a way to keep the back of the bike up.

I even heard thats the reason front sprockets have an odd number of teeth? To help spread chain wear and sprocket wear, but i have no anecdotal evidence of that.

Then there is the mind gently caress of NYLON rear sprockets!!!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ideally they should be coprime, not just odd. Consider a situation where you have one gear with 7 teeth and another with 21 (3 to 1 ratio). Every revolution of the large gear, a tooth on the small gear hits the same 3 teeth on the large. If one tooth on the small gear is damaged, it wears the 3 teeth it contacts on the large gear without affecting the other 18. Those 3 will wear out prematurely with the rest being pristine, but you'll eventually get either slippage or teeth breaking off. If the larger gear instead has 22 teeth (3.14 to 1), the damaged tooth only repeats a tooth every 22*7 meshes, or every 7 revolutions of the large gear (as opposed to 1/3 revolution) and it contacts every other tooth in between.

Which like you said spreads the wear out, but it's not necessarily odd numbers.

Incidentally this is why rear ends have odd ratios like 4.11:1 (9 tooth pinion, 37 tooth ring gear) or 3.70:1 (10 and 37) as opposed to an even 4:1.

Then with chain drive, the chain, drive and driven sprocket all 3 have to be coprime to each other.

/sperg

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

some texas redneck posted:

I still see plenty of them driving around. I always think it's an Echo until I do a double take and look at the badge.

Roadkill managed to kill a 2nd gen, but they were beating on it hard, and it had right at 400k miles.

To be fair they did run it over with a tank...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DFzl6ZU5k

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Enourmo posted:

Ideally they should be coprime, not just odd.

/sperg

Cool!
:eng101: :science:

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Started to get some clunking on the front passenger side and found the following.

Pressed in lower ball joint has come loose in the control arm, retaining clip is going its job keeping it from popping out but its got to be fixed quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMkoWmi5OaI

Control arm bushing on the same side has called it quits and is trying to escape.

And the steering rack is shot, leaking on the passenger side in need of a newer inner tie rod. I'm going to replace the whole rack but not thrilled about how much of a bitch it will be to do by my self.

Real tempted to take my wife car shopping and see about ditching my patroit while were there. There is a 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth for a nice price calling my name as well as a base model 2wd Tacoma.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Ideally they should be coprime, not just odd. Consider a situation where you have one gear with 7 teeth and another with 21 (3 to 1 ratio). Every revolution of the large gear, a tooth on the small gear hits the same 3 teeth on the large. If one tooth on the small gear is damaged, it wears the 3 teeth it contacts on the large gear without affecting the other 18. Those 3 will wear out prematurely with the rest being pristine, but you'll eventually get either slippage or teeth breaking off. If the larger gear instead has 22 teeth (3.14 to 1), the damaged tooth only repeats a tooth every 22*7 meshes, or every 7 revolutions of the large gear (as opposed to 1/3 revolution) and it contacts every other tooth in between.

Incidentally this is why rear ends have odd ratios like 4.11:1 (9 tooth pinion, 37 tooth ring gear) or 3.70:1 (10 and 37) as opposed to an even 4:1.

Then with chain drive, the chain, drive and driven sprocket all 3 have to be coprime to each other.

/sperg

Thanks for that gear lesson. I had always wondered why they were weird ratios.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

rainwulf posted:

My dad has been riding bikes since he was a wee lad, and same with me, and yea, i have always replaced them as a set, especially since the front one wears quicker then the rear.

When I've replaced a chain, it's usually because my idiot friend or sometimes, let's be honest, I hasn't lubed it in forever and it's rusted to poo poo. Sprockets are still good, but the chain is frozen. Slap on a new chain, button it up, and lube it more often.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Enourmo posted:

/sperg

Neat!

Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

/sperg

This post made me go dust off my copy of Cryptonomicon :allears:

Stephenson goes off on a 4 page tangent about exactly this issue, and how it can relate to cryptography