Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
lol JaySB I stupidly told a training partner after he complimented me after a roll that it was the edible I had taken and that’s when I learned lots of Herndon County police officers train at Pedro Sauers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think I'm going to try to explain to new blue belts who mostly suck that if they're rolling with new white belts they should help them with basics like frames and positions rather than free rolling. Help them to avoid injury and teach something.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

lol JaySB I stupidly told a training partner after he complimented me after a roll that it was the edible I had taken and that’s when I learned lots of Herndon County police officers train at Pedro Sauers

LOL

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Shoah, I'm gonna preface this by saying I have never been to Pedro Sauers school. I have at one point trained with nearly all of his affiliates circa 2017-18 in the Georgia/SC/NC area.

Unless Sauers affiliates are drastically different than his school, then the fact you didn't pick up on the fact his school is filled with Cops/boot adjacent is loltastic to me.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I have never been accused of being smart

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JaySB posted:

I think I'm going to try to explain to new blue belts who mostly suck that if they're rolling with new white belts they should help them with basics like frames and positions rather than free rolling. Help them to avoid injury and teach something.

I rolled with newbies last night and basically just did positional sparring and escapes while beig loose and not very aggressive. They on the other hand were allowed to go full speed on me.

It was a lot if fun and allowed me to work in my single x guard entries without feeling like my knee was going ti break from being smashed.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mekchu posted:

I rolled with newbies last night and basically just did positional sparring and escapes while beig loose and not very aggressive. They on the other hand were allowed to go full speed on me.

It was a lot if fun and allowed me to work in my single x guard entries without feeling like my knee was going ti break from being smashed.

This is basically how I like to roll with them as well. Working new stuff and trying new angles of attack.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

JaySB posted:

As a new blue belt who mostly sucks I enjoy rolling with white belts and showing them the few things I do kinda understand

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Minor victory today. My buddy all during drills kept talking about his new move and how it was gonna get me and how he couldnt wait to hit it and how he wasnt going to let me see it until he did it to me during a roll.

We finally rolled and I immediately blocked it and tapped him lol

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
One hand same side collar on hand triceps sleeve ankle pick on the sleeve side was amazing for me as a white belt, and I teach it to as many white belts here as I can because it is noncommital as far as ending up under someone and the same grips can be used to pull guard if they aren't feeling the pick.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The blue belt thing was more of a mental note for me and my gym, we have a lot of newer blue belts who really aren't very good and I watch them go with super spazzy white belts and I just cringe.

I gave a guy an "ah ha" moment when I explained to him that he shouldn't try to attack/pass my guard when I have grip advantage...

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

This is basically how I like to roll with them as well. Working new stuff and trying new angles of attack.

It really is a nice breath of fresh air in terms of sparring despite only being a white belt now. It just gives me a chance to play my ideas out without being killed and seeing what could possibly work if things go well for me which in turn helps my confidence in attempting that move and not be timid.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

JaySB posted:

The blue belt thing was more of a mental note for me and my gym, we have a lot of newer blue belts who really aren't very good and I watch them go with super spazzy white belts and I just cringe.

I gave a guy an "ah ha" moment when I explained to him that he shouldn't try to attack/pass my guard when I have grip advantage...

"But I'm a blue belt, I can't dare be seen tapping to a white belt!!!"

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
One of the blackbelts came in today, took over the class, and started showing one handed back takes against turtle. Says "Its real easy to roll a guy like this." Everyone else in class had a minimum 80lb on me, so lol no it wasn't. Tomorrow I'm going for paper cutters on all those fat motherfuckers who told me "it's just technique!"

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Tacos, are you talking about the Golden State Open? Can't find a worlds event on SJJIF page.

I got the opportunity to teach my very first class today to a BJJ club at an university today. Wow. Time management is tough, I spent a lot of time going over the first few things I wanted them to drill and increasingly sped up their drills as I realized we were running out of time. A girl came up to me after class and said she has trained for 7 years and never seen the technique I showed today (torriando pass) and thought it was cool. I saw people looking for and hitting the torriando in sparring after class and I was so hyped.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saw a BJJScout thing where Danaher went (paraphrasing), "if you think your coach is tough with their promotion criteria, just think about this: I made Nick Rodriguez face and beat Cyborg, Orlando and place at ADCC just to get his purple belt"

Which is just the right level of sadism I've been lead to believe flows through him that its probably true.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

heeebrew posted:

Tacos, are you talking about the Golden State Open? Can't find a worlds event on SJJIF page.

I got the opportunity to teach my very first class today to a BJJ club at an university today. Wow. Time management is tough, I spent a lot of time going over the first few things I wanted them to drill and increasingly sped up their drills as I realized we were running out of time. A girl came up to me after class and said she has trained for 7 years and never seen the technique I showed today (torriando pass) and thought it was cool. I saw people looking for and hitting the torriando in sparring after class and I was so hyped.

A 1 hour class typically should involve half warmup + stretch + conditioning drill movements, and then half technique. In half an hour you can typically get in two techniques, though you'll have time to subdivide those sometimes. Last night we ran for a few minutes, spent a few minutes on tumbling/breakfalls, stretched, and then spent 7 minutes doing a foot grab wrestling drill. Then we spent 15 minutes practicing sprawls vs doubles (after a few reps we started switching to front headlock and spinning to back) then 15 minutes practicing stuffing the head to block a single (after a few reps I showed some follow-ups to that position). 60 minutes. Bada boom. 7pm comes around, timer is set to 5 and 1, "roll to your heart's content and don't break your toys."

I'm getting sick of teaching/leading practice at both of my clubs because I have no mental energy left for much sparring by the end, and I have to walk around helping people instead of getting my own drilling in. Between grappling and my day job I'm teaching 16 classes this week.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Question about black belts.

When/where do they train/roll? I'm in my gym 5 days a week, rotating through the morning/lunch/evening classes and I never see the black belt instructors train (and I know that they have to be training somewhere, somehow).

Do they probably just train amongst each other when the gym is "closed" between classes?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The black belts at my school regularly roll with everyone.

v instructors too, although they pick who they roll with

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 2, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Neon Belly posted:

The black belts at my school regularly roll with everyone.

I guess I mean the instructors. Black belts roll at my gym too.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

heeebrew posted:

My wife did the Golden State Open for SJJIF at Torrey Pines a couple weekends ago...she got gold in the open weight /humblebrag

No I am doing worlds Long Beach for SJJIF in Nov. https://sjjif.com/public/eventInfo/535

Come do it with me man! Ill be the only one from my gym doing NoGi, my coach wont even be there.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

My wife did the Golden State Open for SJJIF at Torrey Pines a couple weekends ago...she got gold in the open weight /humblebrag

No I am doing worlds Long Beach for SJJIF in Nov. https://sjjif.com/public/eventInfo/535

Come do it with me man! Ill be the only one from my gym doing NoGi, my coach wont even be there.

Might just join you then. Congrats to your wife!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

A 1 hour class typically should involve half warmup + stretch + conditioning drill movements, and then half technique. In half an hour you can typically get in two techniques, though you'll have time to subdivide those sometimes. Last night we ran for a few minutes, spent a few minutes on tumbling/breakfalls, stretched, and then spent 7 minutes doing a foot grab wrestling drill. Then we spent 15 minutes practicing sprawls vs doubles (after a few reps we started switching to front headlock and spinning to back) then 15 minutes practicing stuffing the head to block a single (after a few reps I showed some follow-ups to that position). 60 minutes. Bada boom. 7pm comes around, timer is set to 5 and 1, "roll to your heart's content and don't break your toys."

I strongly disagree. Warm up and stretch on your own time or after class. Conditioning drills are for fundamentals class. I would MUCH prefer 2-3 techniques with TONS of drilling, situational sparring starting with the position of the day/week, and then free rolling.

spacetoaster posted:

Question about black belts.

When/where do they train/roll? I'm in my gym 5 days a week, rotating through the morning/lunch/evening classes and I never see the black belt instructors train (and I know that they have to be training somewhere, somehow).

Do they probably just train amongst each other when the gym is "closed" between classes?

If your instructor doesn't train with their students, you should probably find a new gym.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

JaySB posted:

I strongly disagree. Warm up and stretch on your own time or after class.

Quite a few people at my gym would not warm up or stretch if they weren't made to; I know this because of the half hearted one lap jogs and aborted stretches they do before going white belt ham at open mats.

Other gyms might be different, but we, my gym, really can't have nice things.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yah considering the monthly price for access to these classes I would love it if every moment of class revolves around grappling, and no conditioning or stretching at all

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah this is a beginner fundamentals class, and the warmup is largely key movements like shrimping

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

JaySB posted:

If your instructor doesn't train with their students, you should probably find a new gym.

Maybe. I've never been in another gym so I don't know if maybe blackbelt instructors try to train together at other times. Or, like at your gym, they just jump into regular classes.

JaySB posted:

I strongly disagree. Warm up and stretch on your own time or after class. Conditioning drills are for fundamentals class. I would MUCH prefer 2-3 techniques with TONS of drilling, situational sparring starting with the position of the day/week, and then free rolling.

I totally agree with this. If you want to be in good shape from calisthenics do that on your own time. I really don't have a lot of time when I'm coming for an hour long class and would appreciate if the first 20 minutes weren't running around the room.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 2, 2019

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Yeah this is a beginner fundamentals class, and the warmup is largely key movements like shrimping

Ah yeah, that makes sense then. I still don't like stretching before class.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think some sort of warmup is good for any class. For a super beginner class I think practically the entire thing should look like calisthenics.

For more advanced classes partner drills of moves or useful movements are good.

My last two gyms have been much too small to allow anyone to warmup while there's already a class going on. So you warm up during the class itself or not at all.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

hey Tacos - https://www.instagram.com/p/B3IRSJPgKJS/

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Purple, so far, is weird. I'm alternating between having an embarassing amount of trouble with blue belts, and realizing that brown belts can't stop my best moves. Like "why is he letting me have this? ...oh."

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Oh poo poo...

Checking it out. Thanks!

edit: either their promo code isnt working or the spots have already filled up. Reached out to them either way...Im totally down for this though

edit2: Registered! They posted the wrong promo code. I hosed up my knee in a leg lock position yesterday (nothing serious, kind of reaped it pretty hard), hopefully its fully healed by then.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 3, 2019

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Often instructors roll in their own sessions. My old gym we had a noon class and it was often 3 or 4 black belts from other schools getting their training time in.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Our instructor (brown belt) will roll but typically only with people at the same weight as him because he has a bum knee he's been nursing for about a year. I've seen him do technique drilling before classes with a purple belt a few times. Never full sparring though.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I totally agree with this. If you want to be in good shape from calisthenics do that on your own time. I really don't have a lot of time when I'm coming for an hour long class and would appreciate if the first 20 minutes weren't running around the room.

Yes! Please.

Also, I probably sound like a Flat Earther for always referring to 10th planet, but I love that their warmups are sequences of key moves in their system. Mat time is precious, gently caress your jumping jacks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont mind calisthenics to get loosened up, but yeah it should probably be limited to 15 minutes which is what our gym does. Then we learn and drill like 5 techniques that are part of a sequence we're working in for the remainder. Sparring is the 30mins between classes if you want if its nit a sparring day.

We also do a 5 minute portion where after warmups we drill any technique we want to before the main lesson. I've used those five minutes to focus ankle locks for like a minth or two and am now hitting them pretty solidly. Most people at my gym sort of use it to do the previous lessons technique which is also a good idea.

So our class is 15mins exercising, 5mins personal drills, 40mins lesson/ class drills which is way more engaging to me than the old "20mins warmup, 20mins instructuon drilling, ok lets spar til end of class" approach my last gym did.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 3, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Xguard86 posted:

Often instructors roll in their own sessions. My old gym we had a noon class and it was often 3 or 4 black belts from other schools getting their training time in.

I was thinking it's probably something like this.

My view is very narrow because I'm only at the gym for the kid's stuff and the basics classes.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
At Rillions all the black belts and bjj professionals go at noon and basically spar/drill all the way through 5 30 when fundamentals are taught. I've gone at noon over lunch and back for fundamentals and seen some of the competitors still there. The noon slot is scheduled as all levels but there is a real focus on high level, complicated poo poo (to me anyway) and has a way different feel than advanced nogi or advanced gi. The focus of the instructors is very much on a small circle of pros/competitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

About two weeks into judo, loving it so far.

Any tips on body-weight exercises for judo to do at home? I have access to a pull up bar, dip bar, dip belt, some free-weights and some bands.