Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

I want to make some donut sandwiches. Like glazed donuts, sliced in half, turkey/ham/cheese, and grill them like grilled cheese. Sugar side up or down? Go Monte Cristo with jam/powdered sugar?

These were way too loving sweet. I feel slightly ill. Used two cake-style donuts. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bob Morales posted:

These were way too loving sweet. I feel slightly ill. Used two cake-style donuts. Ugh.

Well duh you were supposed to use glazed donuts.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I know similar questions have been asked before, but damned if I know how long ago, so here we go again: what are some good camping foods? I'm a little more restricted than usual as I'm after stuff that doesn't need refrigeration or a source of heat either. Jerky is out as my camping partner hates the stuff. All I can think of so far is cereal bars and crisps... Surely there are more cold foods that don't need to be kept cold and are easy to transport?

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

I know similar questions have been asked before, but damned if I know how long ago, so here we go again: what are some good camping foods? I'm a little more restricted than usual as I'm after stuff that doesn't need refrigeration or a source of heat either. Jerky is out as my camping partner hates the stuff. All I can think of so far is cereal bars and crisps... Surely there are more cold foods that don't need to be kept cold and are easy to transport?

Whenever this question gets asked (camping, picnics, etc.), the thread's answer is always cold fried chicken. Just do it. ;)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well duh you were supposed to use glazed donuts.

Those burgers look like failures on every level from design to execution. Did the person who made that get confused halfway through and think they were making meatballs for a giant or something?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Bollock Monkey posted:

Plumpy'nut

BP-5 emergency rations

MREs

Hardtack

Pemmikan

lol

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 31, 2014

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
A bag of carrots

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm making beef rendang tomorrow, enough to last the whole weekend but I don't want to eat the exact same thing for three days. What are some good vegetable dishes that go well with it to get some variety going? So far on my list there's a cucumber salad with lime juice and chili and "maybe just make sandwiches with it one day."

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Bollock Monkey posted:

First of how long are you camping for? Are you doing that type of camping where your backpacking in and that is why you have no source of heat? If so I suggest a can of Sterno to heat foods. I saw them for sale at the dollar store today. Not being able to heat foods is really going to limit you to dried meats and grains. At least with a can of Sterno you could heat up some canned beans or soup.

I would suggest getting something like this:

That way you can boil some eggs and eat hot foods that aren't precooked.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 1, 2014

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Has anyone attempted making sweet potato hashbrowns or grilled sweet potatoes? (Grilled normal potatoes here) The grilled sweet potatoes turned out just okay, kinda mushy. Sweet potato hashbrowns turned out inedible, even after removing as much water as possible. I just couldn't get them to fry the same way that regular potatoes do. I think it has to be possible, because sweet potato fries are really awesome.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Loanarn posted:

I would suggest getting something like this:

That way you can boil some eggs and eat hot foods that aren't precooked.

One of these sweet backpacking stoves work wonders. They're super lightweight, small, reusable, and produce a cooking flame which is basically the same as a gas range.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Has anyone attempted making sweet potato hashbrowns or grilled sweet potatoes? (Grilled normal potatoes here) The grilled sweet potatoes turned out just okay, kinda mushy. Sweet potato hashbrowns turned out inedible, even after removing as much water as possible. I just couldn't get them to fry the same way that regular potatoes do. I think it has to be possible, because sweet potato fries are really awesome.

For the hash brown you will never get them as crispy as real potato. If you do the grated one and want some crispness add in a bit of rice flour, along with some real potato and go from there.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Bollock Monkey posted:

Hard cheeses like romano and asiago are actually just fine to pack; they might sweat if it's hot, but you can bring all kinds of hard cheeses. Firm fruits with waxy skins--apples, oranges, grapefruits, you could get crazy and bring a pineapple if you want--are great for you and pack exceptionally well. The apples go great with the cheese, and if you're into apples and peanut butter you can bring that too, since it keeps just fine at room temperature. Tomatoes are a bit tougher to pack since ripe ones are delicate but they are great at room temperature, as are cukes, as long as you eat the whole thing in one go, but that goes for all the fruit and veg. I've never tried it, but I bet you could tote along an avocado if you wanted. If you pick up a fresh loaf of bread that opens up sandwiches, too. Summer sausages (the smallish hard ones) are intended for room temperature as well, and you can slide off a bit, eat it, and wrap it back up just fine for several days. And don't forget about the whole world of trail mix; nuts and dried fruits can be chucked in the bottom of your bag and take a beating and still be delicious when you're done.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 1, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's also the Scandinavian style rye crisp breads which are not only light weight, but very tasty and calorie dense. Of course they are designed to be stored at room temperature.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Seconding various dried sausages. Pepperoni, abbruzzi, small dried salami, summer sausages, etc are all filling, protein rich, easy to pack and eat, and are stable at room temperature. They can get moldy once they are opened though, so bring a plastic bag for each if you aren't going to eat the whole thing. Then again, that probably won't happen soon enough if it's going to be a major part of your diet for the trip. You will go through them too fast.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Any goons knowledgeable with cookware sets? I'm looking to buy my college-age brother a basic stainless steel set for $60 or under that isn't complete poo poo since he's moving into a condo in two weeks and needs kitchen supplies. The number and type of units in the set can vary, but a saute pan, saucepans, and maybe smaller pots would be nice. I can supplement with an old non-stick sauté pan and a ~6qt stainless steel pot, both hand-me-downs of unknown origin, as well as a $20 Lodge cast-iron skillet and small-sized crock-pot + rice cooker. Obviously I'm not gonna get the kid Kitchen-Aid, Tramontina, or Le Creuset, but I'd like something better than bottom-tier since he's an athlete and would greatly benefit from cooking his own food, even if it's just basic staples like chicken, rice/pasta, and veggies.

Currently eying this for $50, hits all the bases and I can probably get him a secondhand omelette pan to go with it. Bonus points for Walmart suggestions since I have gift cards for them and never shop there.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 1, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Go to a restaurant supply store and buy the few things he needs instead of a set.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Go to a restaurant supply store and buy the few things he needs instead of a set.

This. Better you get him a couple of high-quality pieces he could use (saute pan, cast iron pan, stock pot, saucepan) of reputable make than a cheap set since it's clear you're not willing to buy a higher-end set. The "value" in those cheap sets is that the quality is hot garbage.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Roger that. This store is an hour away and seems to have decent prices. I do want to replace the hand-me-down sauté pan since he won't be getting super complicated with recipes and "heat poo poo in a pan until it's done" is a pretty short order to follow. Pricing things out, if I go super-reductionist, he'll have the following (all Optio stainless steel):

4qt. saute pan w/ cover - $30
2.75qt. saucepan w/ cover - $27
8qt. stockpot w/ cover (8" deep) - $42
12-in. cast iron skillet (Target) - $25
Total: $124

By contrast, I can manufacturer bundle on the restaurant site and get the following instead:

1qt., 2.75qt., 6.75qt saucepans (w/covers), 9.5" fry pan - $107
12-in. cast iron skillet (Target) - $25
Total: $132

Probably going to avoid the bundle since a) I have a fully stocked kitchen and have yet to opt for a 1qt. saucepan over a 2.XXqt. and b) sauté pan w/ cover > fry pan w/o, especially when cooking large amounts of small chunks of meat.

If this store does pickup orders, I just might have a done deal. Thanks, y'all!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Looking for a go-to jello shot recipe. This is for a kickball game, so it doesn't have to be fancy, just refreshing and moderately strong.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm currently reading Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan and it is fantastic. Starts with a thorough discussion of how flavors are developed in Italian cooking, the use of various ingredients, basic Italian cooking techniques, and then moves on to recipes and menus.

Can anyone recommend other books that have a similar treatment of a particular style of cuisine? I'd be most interested in one on Mexican food but anything that takes that approach would be great.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Turkeybone posted:

Looking for a go-to jello shot recipe. This is for a kickball game, so it doesn't have to be fancy, just refreshing and moderately strong.

Well, I remember seeing this years ago. Someoene took the time to find the optimal Jello Shot recipe

http://www.myscienceproject.org/j-shot.html

It's pretty interesting to see how much booze you can get into these things.

Basic Jell-O Shot Recipe
3 oz. Jell-O (one 4-serving package)
8 oz. boiling water
3 oz. cold water
5 oz. vodka

That's the Box recipe. You could sub out half the boiling water and all the cold water with vodka and still get shots that set, but they would be over strong.

In case you are interested there are other linked articles including lighting the shots on fire, making the best tasting ones, and one just on the best Blue Raspberry jello flavor.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Loanarn posted:

First of how long are you camping for? Are you doing that type of camping where your backpacking in and that is why you have no source of heat?
I'm actually going to a festival but am too skint to buy food there for the four days, and they don't allow camp fires or gas canisters so a camping stove is out.

Nicol Bolas posted:

Cheese and fruit and things
These are great ideas!

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 1, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm looking for a two-burner griddle that has to be flat (it's for a glass top stove). Price is sort of variable but preferably nothing more than $70 or so.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

When I had a stove like that, I never found a griddle that was satisfactory for it. So I got a countertop electric griddle that I've had ever since and it's great.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I need to start marinating some Japanese eggplant ASAP but I just realized that I'm all out of balsamic vinegar that I usually use in the marinade. I have apple cider and rice vinegars and lemon juice and olive sesame truffle and coconut oils plus a bunch of spices, but I'm not sure what to combine for the eggplant. It will ultimately be grilled to go in sandwiches with chard and leeks.

Suggestions?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
What is a good source for buying a large amount (5+ lbs) of walnuts(in shell or out) for cheap? I'm in California.

e: unsalted please

They are $9 per pound on amazon, is there anywhere cheaper? That seems expensive, but I don't have much experience buying nuts.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 2, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What is a good source for buying a large amount (5+ lbs) of walnuts(in shell or out) for cheap? I'm in California.

They are $9 per pound on amazon, is there anywhere cheaper? That seems expensive, but I don't have much experience buying nuts.

Winco has cheap bulk foods.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Trader Joe's nut prices aren't so bad.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Costco, Sprouts, Trader Joes, Aldi

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Knockknees posted:

I need to start marinating some Japanese eggplant ASAP but I just realized that I'm all out of balsamic vinegar that I usually use in the marinade. I have apple cider and rice vinegars and lemon juice and olive sesame truffle and coconut oils plus a bunch of spices, but I'm not sure what to combine for the eggplant. It will ultimately be grilled to go in sandwiches with chard and leeks.

Suggestions?

Do you usually use just balsamic vinegar? I mean it really depends on what sort of flavors you're looking for. Based on the other ingredients in your sandwich I would go lemon juice + olive oil + some herbs that smell like they'd be good. I just got Japanese eggplant in my CSA box last week and based on my one-time experience of eating them I feel like they'll take to just about anything. I roasted mine with olive oil, garlic, and a bunch of salt and they were divine.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm very much a cooking newbie. Only over the last 6 months or so have I been experimenting with cooking at home. Basically going from ordering Chinese takeout or eating 711/deli sandwiches for dinner to making Eggs Benedict last weekend with homemade Hollandaise sauce, etc.

Tonight I made chopped Brussels Sprouts with sliced apples and grated cheese crusted chicken breast. Here are some images:

My problem is, I don't necessarily care to cut my chicken breasts in half or pound them down at all. I really enjoy the chicken breast thick and juicy. However, as you can tell from the photos, the outside always tends to overcook a bit (not burned, fortunately) and it takes much longer for the center to cook.

Any tips for cooking large chicken breasts perfectly all the way through? Thanks!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Just bake them low until the insides get where you want them and sear them after or poach them.
You might need a thermometer.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
No need to add another cooking method, here. Cook your chicken breasts over lower heat and the center will cook through while the outside doesn't get overdone. Just turn your burner down. That should work perfectly unless you're using an open fire with no knob or something wacky like that.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

ShoogaSlim posted:

I'm very much a cooking newbie. Only over the last 6 months or so have I been experimenting with cooking at home. Basically going from ordering Chinese takeout or eating 711/deli sandwiches for dinner to making Eggs Benedict last weekend with homemade Hollandaise sauce, etc.

Tonight I made chopped Brussels Sprouts with sliced apples and grated cheese crusted chicken breast. Here are some images:

My problem is, I don't necessarily care to cut my chicken breasts in half or pound them down at all. I really enjoy the chicken breast thick and juicy. However, as you can tell from the photos, the outside always tends to overcook a bit (not burned, fortunately) and it takes much longer for the center to cook.

Any tips for cooking large chicken breasts perfectly all the way through? Thanks!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573640

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
seconding the puddling.

anyone have a good lead on a big mortar and pestle? i want to make pesto and every single thing i can find is tiny and for spices and pills, apparently.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Try your local Latin market and look for a molcajete or a pilon. I love my molcajete, but it really needs to be seasoned well before use, I probably ended up grinding two pounds of rice before it stopped throwing off grit.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

There is something to be said for hand mashed food! (but I just use a big spoon)

Well, that's not entirely true, I love my marble mortar, it's just smaller, and grinds finer, so I use it for spices and the like.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I have this mortar and pestle and it's worked wonders for anything I've needed so far. Making guacamole is the most obvious use, I've mashed up the insides of deviled eggs, and I grind together different kinds of salts and other spices for rubs. I think it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I'll be going back to school at the end of the month, and I'm looking for easy ideas for lunches/dinners prepared at home and brought to class/clinical.

It needs to fit in a small cooler and be OK to eat after 3-4 hours in there with an ice pack and bottled water.

Bonus points for recipes that make enough for two, as I ended up making lunches for one of my classmates after she fell in love with my parm crusted tilapia. (which I'd eat every day were fresh fish not so pricy).