Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yes, sorry, I didn't write a totally full account. I used to work in rescue (cats and dogs) and I absolutely know the drill, and it's a good reminder. I didn't want to sound too suspicious and the woman didn't set off my warning bells - she didn't let us handle birds since we haven't taken the avian safety classes at Parrot U, didn't want us to fall in love with a bird before we could adopt, said she wasn't sure those birds were right for first timers.. She told us they just get a 6 month old cockatiel who is in quarantine right now and we can meet her next Month.

I figure it isn't going to hurt to take classes on Avian Health, from the Parrot U people, and we can walk away from an adoption if it's not right for us or the animal. Having more information about bird care isn't going to hurt us down the line.

Oh wow, WrenP! You've been to the same rescue I have! I was considering adopting Jake, one of the African Greys they have there. From my experience with them, they take themselves super super seriously. For bigger birds, you have to take more classes, and the classes are loooong but very informative. Also they have to think that the bird likes you, so when I talked to them, basically it was like, take the classes and then we'll arrange some sit down time to see if you and he get along. Also you have to do a home visit and sign a contract promising to return the bird to them if you decide it's not going to work out.

Is Chewie still there? He was a white and grey cockatiel with no tail feathers that had ramps to get to and fro from his cage.

edit: Baby who I'm leaning towards naming Hugo spent the majority of the evening nesting in my hair and nibbling my ear. Still very not good about stepping up, and there was a tense moment of interaction where Sammy wanted to see what the baby was eating and get up in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Shirec posted:

Oh wow, WrenP! You've been to the same rescue I have! I was considering adopting Jake, one of the African Greys they have there. From my experience with them, they take themselves super super seriously. For bigger birds, you have to take more classes, and the classes are loooong but very informative. Also they have to think that the bird likes you, so when I talked to them, basically it was like, take the classes and then we'll arrange some sit down time to see if you and he get along. Also you have to do a home visit and sign a contract promising to return the bird to them if you decide it's not going to work out.

Is Chewie still there? He was a white and grey cockatiel with no tail feathers that had ramps to get to and fro from his cage.

Oh awesome! Yeah I didn't hear about that part of their adoption procedure but I'm not surprised.

No, I think Chewie was adopted.

I think we met Jake - he seems great! "meow!" While we were there, the African Greys seemed to be forming a band of bizarre phone like noises. :kimchi:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yes, sorry, I didn't write a totally full account. I used to work in rescue (cats and dogs) and I absolutely know the drill, and it's a good reminder. I didn't want to sound too suspicious and the woman didn't set off my warning bells

Righty ho :) You know the score then, we lied out of love and hope. Thank gently caress the UK government finally got round to making it illegal to own a non-registered/chipped dog. The sheer quantity of 8 month non-neutered, non-house broken, aggressive, white Staffordshire bull terriers that never even got a chance to be rehomed after the 7 day period broke me. Literally hundreds a year. People knew I worked in rescue where I lived and no kidding, I woke up to 8 of them tied to my fence one time. Also boxes of puppies on the doorstep. Then there was that incident where I woke up to a knock on the door at 4am and two newborn border collie pups were shoved into my hands with a "take them or I'm drowning them in the canal". Good bit - I took them and raised them till 8 weeks and gave them to my parents, and they lived long and happy lives.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Shirec posted:

The baby is home

He is currently still very wary but attacking his new toys with gusto. I was trying to catch a picture of him falling asleep but he woke up right when I got the position perfect.
edit: Watching him figure things out :kimchi: He still doesn't understand perches super well so he mainly gets around by using the actual cage. Watched him test a perch with his foot for 30 seconds before he was like nah, not for me.
BABY BABY BABY

WrenP-Complete posted:

The birds we were there to meet were Doc and Miss Kitty (both male)

They are both males, and came to CPR from a house with a grabby child. They don't really like to be handled at all right now but will sit on your shoulder. They are 12? and 13? I think. They like to SING SING SING.

and Tiki and Dion.

These are an elderly male and female cockatiel. My understanding is that they were rescued from a home with someone who had fallen ill and was hoarding and couldn't really take care of them. Dion has cataracts in both eyes, and Tiki plucks his feathers (though he is getting much better over time away from that hard situation!). Dion got all fluffed up and rested when I spoke to her and Tiki spent the entire time grooming my cuticles and getting scritches from me.
Potatoes :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
An elderly, mostly blind, female cockatiel? Just cram her in a box and send her my way!

(I had my Wandy to three or four different vets over the years and her Keratin disorder was the death of her. If I wanted to basically keep her at the vet for literal thousands a month she might have made it a little longer but her first few stays showed she would fall off the tracks pretty quick even with all the proper care. I'm no vet but I think she was living off steroid and fluid injections. It felt cruel after a point.)

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

It was ridiculously hot today, but someone needed a clean cage, so have a wet dinosaur chicken.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the thing you do not see in this picture, the bird has a second eye that it is using to see the food

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

where the red fern gropes posted:

the thing you do not see in this picture, the bird has a second eye that it is using to see the food

there is something amazing about this post but i am not sure what

but its definitely art

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I have a GCC who is 1 and a half years old. Her name is Skittle because she has every possible color on her, and her nickname is Skiiba because that's how she started saying Skittle.

She has been using "MAMA" as her go-to call for when she wants someone since we got her. Just recently she started saying something new to me when she wanted me to take her out of the cage which I finally realized was, "Good Skiiba!". :kimchi:

She just wants me to know she is being a good girl. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

where the red fern gropes posted:

there is something amazing about this post but i am not sure what

but its definitely art
I concur.

Tellaris posted:

I have a GCC who is 1 and a half years old. Her name is Skittle because she has every possible color on her, and her nickname is Skiiba because that's how she started saying Skittle.

She has been using "MAMA" as her go-to call for when she wants someone since we got her. Just recently she started saying something new to me when she wanted me to take her out of the cage which I finally realized was, "Good Skiiba!". :kimchi:

Awwww good Skiiba indeed :3: Post pictures!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tellaris posted:

Tendai posted:

Post pictures!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Dreggon/WTRFG's posts are lil' nuggets of wisdom and humour and I'm glad he comes to share them with us, as well as his adventures as a bitey whitey flock photographer and infiltrator

Also want to see Skiiba, and hear if you have videos of that tiny GCC robot voice :3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Patrovsky posted:

It was ridiculously hot today, but someone needed a clean cage, so have a wet dinosaur chicken.

Wet happy dinosaur is one of my favorite parts of the day.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Here she is next to her favorite wood toy, which she regularly cuddles and falls asleep leaning against :kimchi:

The picture doesn't really do her coloration justice, but she gets really excited about cameras or phones when out of her cage. Last time I tried to take her picture out of the cage she got too excited and bit the heck out of my finger and the camera. Birbs are weird. :3:

Edit: Also she magically knows when I am recording and I have never actually caught her on video talking. Magical birds :argh:

Double edit: Her favorite thing to do to new people is to run up their arm at top speed, slam her face into their cheek, and make a loud kiss noise. She will then defend this new person from all "threats" until she gets bored :3:

Tellaris fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 12, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tellaris posted:

Edit: Also she magically knows when I am recording and I have never actually caught her on video talking. Magical birds :argh:

Right? How do they know?!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tellaris posted:

Here she is next to her favorite wood toy, which she regularly cuddles and falls asleep leaning against :kimchi:

The picture doesn't really do her coloration justice, but she gets really excited about cameras or phones when out of her cage. Last time I tried to take her picture out of the cage she got too excited and bit the heck out of my finger and the camera. Birbs are weird. :3:

Double edit: Her favorite thing to do to new people is to run up their arm at top speed, slam her face into their cheek, and make a loud kiss noise. She will then defend this new person from all "threats" until she gets bored :3:

your bird is adorable :kimchi:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Owls: the dogs of the bird world

https://twitter.com/noantica/status/809385125465059328

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Unnamed baby has turned into cuddlebug, but I have to basically grab him wholly to move him at all right now if he wants to hang out. He is not at all confident in climbing, to a startling degree. He may just be clumsy or because he has new baby feet, so I'm just watching carefully.

He is also insanely soft :kimchi: I am thinking I want to have him be name-paired with Sammy so I was thinking of a name from West Wing. Does he look like a Charlie, Toby, or Josiah to anyone here? I was leaning Charlie. Kiwi is already the CJ of my bird family, so now I just need to teach her the Jackal.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Patrovsky posted:

That's a drat happy bird and made me a drat happy man.

Also, are owls pets in Japan or are we watching the equivalent of the crazy person who keeps loving raccoons and alligators and God knows what?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Shirec posted:

Unnamed baby has turned into cuddlebug, but I have to basically grab him wholly to move him at all right now if he wants to hang out. He is not at all confident in climbing, to a startling degree. He may just be clumsy or because he has new baby feet, so I'm just watching carefully.

He is also insanely soft :kimchi: I am thinking I want to have him be name-paired with Sammy so I was thinking of a name from West Wing. Does he look like a Charlie, Toby, or Josiah to anyone here? I was leaning Charlie. Kiwi is already the CJ of my bird family, so now I just need to teach her the Jackal.

Charlie seems a like a really nice name for a bird who's a cuddlebug.

That happy little baby face!! Keep trying to climb, brave explorer!

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

I got a good picture of her belly as she sat on the door wondering why I was taking a picture of her and not grabbing her out for kisses.

The hard one is getting a picture of her back, which is blue and purple. My little rainbow birb :3:

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Captain Log posted:

That's a drat happy bird and made me a drat happy man.

Also, are owls pets in Japan or are we watching the equivalent of the crazy person who keeps loving raccoons and alligators and God knows what?

They aren't very common in the US because IIRC you need a falconry license to keep one but Japan doesn't have that law. I don't know how common it is but I know that at least one bird cafe there sells off their older birds (I think? The English website was hard to read) including owls

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Shirec posted:

I like Charlie a teeny bit more maybe but it might be easier for him to learn to say Toby, especially the BEEEEEEE part if Inko is any indicator. Which would be very cute. Not that he isn't already

Tellaris posted:

I got a good picture of her belly as she sat on the door wondering why I was taking a picture of her and not grabbing her out for kisses.

That's true, why aren't you??

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently, I have said "Who's that?" often enough when Yoshi looks at the mirror/his relection in the phone/photos of himself that now he says "Whozzat?" whenever he sees himself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

OH MY GOD. We just watched him try to learn to whistle Epona's Song in real time. We whistle it at him all the time, and we were both standing in front of the mirror, and he stared at us while we did it and whistled three, quick random notes. He's nowhere near getting it, but just watching him try to sing along, so soon after seeming to just repeat what I said... :stare:

Loki was a sweetheart, but I'm glad he never had to play checkers with Yoshi, because this budgie is smart.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Moatman posted:

They aren't very common in the US because IIRC you need a falconry license to keep one but Japan doesn't have that law. I don't know how common it is but I know that at least one bird cafe there sells off their older birds (I think? The English website was hard to read) including owls

America has falconry licenses but not parrot licenses?! Of course :looks around: I am in America, nothing makes sense here.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori came into the shower with me this morning and clearly wanted a bath, but wouldn't go under the stream-not until I cupped my hand near his head and asked "want this?" Then he shuffled underneath and I covered just his head, and took him into the water without complaints :kimchi:

He does this now and then and each time is as cute as the last. He knows what he wants and might not outright cuddle like a typical GCC but he apparently trusts and loves me ahhhh

Look at these I took recently-

"Fucks sake stop biting between my thumb and finger" followed by "Okay, we cool, pet me instead then"

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

A good birb.:kimchi:

I share Skiiba with as many people as I can. I have made several people into bird people. Preaching from the holy Birble :v:

Even my curmudgeonly father loves Skiiba, despite his claims that cute things are "unnecessary". He can't help but beam when she gives him the "run up and smooch", then starts trying to steal his glasses.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captain Log posted:

America has falconry licenses but not parrot licenses?! Of course :looks around: I am in America, nothing makes sense here.

apparently we started regulating the raptor trade really heavily in the 70s after years of planning around expanding suburbia nearly drove all of our prey birds to extinction

edit: interesting to note, apparently when you are falconer in the US your license only allows you to "take" and "possess" a raptor for use in falconry, you cannot own a raptor and I guess losing your license means the state can seize the bird?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 13, 2017

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Speaking of birds of prey
https://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/12-majestic-badass-photos-of-eagles-vs-drones

A taste:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

YESSS EAGLE COPS

EAGLE COPS

EAAAAAAAAGLE COOOOOOOOOOPS

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Guy on the next farm fosters rescued Falcons and now I have a new bar for sheer unadulterated terror and fear.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bitch my wife worked with rescued falcons since she was twelve.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did she tell you how she got these scars?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i just found out kaarakin has a radical instagram.

enjoy the beautiful black cockatoos~

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Trebuchet King posted:

i just found out kaarakin has a radical instagram.

enjoy the beautiful black cockatoos~

I still haven't been there, I really need to get off my butt and go.

I'd like to do volunteer work there, but being around that many cockatoos probably wouldn't be good for my health and my doctors would lose their poo poo.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

This is a problem for the mining companies here in Western Australia, they use drones for surveillance and surveying, and the wild Wedge Tailed Eagles keep loving up their drones.

(good birds)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

I still haven't been there, I really need to get off my butt and go.

I'd like to do volunteer work there, but being around that many cockatoos probably wouldn't be good for my health and my doctors would lose their poo poo.
I really love those black ones that look like they've been dusted with gold glitter, they look just unreal.

I need to visit Australia and do a parrot grand tour or something

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I've been dive bombed by an owl that was the size of a TNT barrel. I have zero fear or fucks to give with birds, and I flailed like a mother.

My old girlfriend used to raise chimps in Ohio. Apparently the "Mama" chimp lived in a trailer and nobody was allowed to enter the trailer for fear of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

(stolen from here)