Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I want to play the Knife of Dunwall DLC but I hate the witches so loving much that it's kind of turning me away from it. The witches drag the Dishonored DLC at the maximum that dragging can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Perestroika posted:

It's way old by now, but XIII had probably one of the worst examples of this. The game was set up to be part one of some kind of episodic deal, to the point where several of the skills shown in the skill menu weren't actually unlockable, because they'd been earmarked for a later part. The game ended on a sudden cliffhanger, all set up for the sequel... which ended up being canceled.

So yeah, maybe don't build your whole game around being only one part of a series when you don't actually have any assurance that you can actually pull through.

RIP Sin Episodes :(

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

John Murdoch posted:

i really liked the health kits and stations in this game.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

RIP Xenosaga :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Xenosaga actually got an ending?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Was supposed to be 6 games, cut to 3 after the first two were released. They completely changed the mythology and storyline to squeeze it into one last game.

The first two had such promise, the last one had such good gameplay.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Was supposed to be 6 games, cut to 3 after the first two were released. They completely changed the mythology and storyline to squeeze it into one last game.

The first two had such promise, the last one had such good gameplay.

I loved when characters just randomly vanished, or dead people just showed up as if it was all cool because they had to heavily condense the story at the last minute. Then the ending twist was so dumb it hurt.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved the moment in XIII when you start that one stealth level with the searchlights from the cabin, and I saw a guard stand under the spotlight and belt out a song while foreshadowing the main characters secret identity: "You can flyyyyy! You caaaaaaan flyyyyyy! You can go the distance if ou.. tryyyyyy~! Wait! I remember! His name was Martin Flye!:haw:" :3:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
XIII was a really cool game and I thought David Duchovny did a very good job in his role as a voice actor. The comic book pages showing your stealth kills were super cool.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
iirc in XIII the sound effects visibly get bigger or smaller based on the distance of the target. that was a cool stealth feature.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought you guys were talking about the Final Fantasy game and I was really confused.

Action Tortoise posted:

iirc in XIII the sound effects visibly get bigger or smaller based on the distance of the target. that was a cool stealth feature.

I think Mark of the Ninja did that too.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
with XIII it was in 3D so you'd see the sounds through the walls. it was pretty helpful getting a bead on enemies without outright revealing their exact position through the walls.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

with XIII it was in 3D so you'd see the sounds through the walls. it was pretty helpful getting a bead on enemies without outright revealing their exact position through the walls.

It also made the game more accessible to deaf gamers, which was a nice plus.

While it sucks that XIII didn't get a sequel, you could at least get the rest of the story through the graphic novels it was based on, which more than could be said for most episodic failures.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved the moment in XIII when you start that one stealth level with the searchlights from the cabin, and I saw a guard stand under the spotlight and belt out a song while foreshadowing the main characters secret identity: "You can flyyyyy! You caaaaaaan flyyyyyy! You can go the distance if ou.. tryyyyyy~! Wait! I remember! His name was Martin Flye!:haw:" :3:

His name was Jason fly!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ilmucche posted:

His name was Jason fly!

Haven't played the game in years, got stuck at the last level (I think, the weird bunker place). Misremembered.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I loved when characters just randomly vanished, or dead people just showed up as if it was all cool because they had to heavily condense the story at the last minute. Then the ending twist was so dumb it hurt.

Hey I'm Albedo oh the magic ship is the spear of Longinus and KOS-MOS was Mary Magdalene! Yeah, random Christian symbolism! Worked for Eva! Remember that dude that died to save you? Oops he's back to do another heroic sacrifice and oops x2 we forgot to program in his death scene.

I could have been a Xenosaga fan boy on the same level as Final Fantasy. But...Nope.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I don't remember stun stick and shield dudes being this loving miserable to fight, but it's been a while since I played.even Origins.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

RareAcumen posted:

I thought you guys were talking about the Final Fantasy game and I was really confused..

Same here, I was thinking, "I know I was drinking heavily while I was playing it but did I have a total blackout during some stealth level? :confused:"

Good to know I wasn't blackout drunk... ok yes I probably was.

Content: the whistle in Dishonored 2 isn't as catchy or as memorable as the one in DH1. It's just some cacophony of notes.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gitro posted:

I don't remember stun stick and shield dudes being this loving miserable to fight, but it's been a while since I played.even Origins.

Well in Origins stun sticks and shields literally stop mattering after you get the right skills. :v:

I can definitely recall a couple of specific fights in Knight that were a huge pain in the rear end thanks to those. It also eventually introduces stun stick and shield heavies, the former of which sucks because IIRC even after you deactivate their stun sticks you still have to cape stun them which feels clunky and off-rhythm.

I guess a rather pertinent question is: Do you have the electro-gun yet? You can use it to deactivate stun sticks (though it honestly never feels nearly long enough). The story tells you to go get it a good fair ways into the game, but you can grab it almost from the word go. Go check the GCPD Evidence Room. Similarly, don't be like me and miss the cryo grenade for almost the entire game. Inside the Batcave/quarantine room, just sitting on a little tray on the left as you exit the elevator, right by the prison pods. I have no idea why they obfuscate that. I guess at least as a consequence, that one isn't necessary for anything.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

Well in Origins stun sticks and shields literally stop mattering after you get the right skills. :v:

I can definitely recall a couple of specific fights in Knight that were a huge pain in the rear end thanks to those. It also eventually introduces stun stick and shield heavies, the former of which sucks because IIRC even after you deactivate their stun sticks you still have to cape stun them which feels clunky and off-rhythm.

I guess a rather pertinent question is: Do you have the electro-gun yet? You can use it to deactivate stun sticks (though it honestly never feels nearly long enough). The story tells you to go get it a good fair ways into the game, but you can grab it almost from the word go. Go check the GCPD Evidence Room. Similarly, don't be like me and miss the cryo grenade for almost the entire game. Inside the Batcave/quarantine room, just sitting on a little tray on the left as you exit the elevator, right by the prison pods. I have no idea why they obfuscate that. I guess at least as a consequence, that one isn't necessary for anything.

theres a bat cave?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Still enjoying FF15, even the stealth hasn't been too painful (although I'm still on chapter 7, haven't got to the apparent clusterfuck that is chapter 13 yet) but goddamn having to wait at these ruins till nightfall is blatant padding... Although I did love the air counter during the Aranea Highwind fight.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Jan 16, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

im pooping! posted:

theres a bat cave?

The story sends you there sooner rather than later. It's a pretty hard to miss room as even without all the plot happening in it, they art designed the hell out of it. :v:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Titan Souls was an enjoyable little romp for a few hours.
What dragged it down was the final boss.
While every boss in the game was challenging, the final boss cranks that poo poo up to 50.

The idea of the game is that you're a little dude with a bow and a single arrow, you can run around, dodge roll, shoot it, and recall it after you've shot it.
Most of the bosses in the game have obvious glowing weak spots, or interesting tricks to reveal their weak spot, and they die in one hit, as do you.

The final boss is a "dark" version of you that has a light arrow to match your arrow. He will fire it at you with 1 second preparation time and if you don't dodge at that moment you die. Whenever he fires said arrow, he also produces 4 balls of light that home in on you, killing you if they touch you. His weak spot is as small as you are and appears for about a half a second in a random direction whenever it goes to fetch it's own arrow. If you ever fire and miss, using the arrow retrieval will also suck his arrow toward you, killing you if you touch it. If he gets a hold of your arrow however, he fires it bouncing around the arena, homing in on you on every bounce, and you're expected to wait until it stops before using the retrieve arrow button. If you don't, it instantly flies at you and kills you.

In short get good, but every other boss in the game felt at least fair, like if I died I messed up. When I defeated the final boss I felt like I got lucky and not much else.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Poulpe posted:

While every boss in the game was challenging, the final boss cranks that poo poo up to 50.

The idea of the game is that you're a little dude with a bow and a single arrow, you can run around, dodge roll, shoot it, and recall it after you've shot it.
Most of the bosses in the game have obvious glowing weak spots, or interesting tricks to reveal their weak spot, and they die in one hit, as do you.

The final boss is a "dark" version of you that has a light arrow to match your arrow. He will fire it at you with 1 second preparation time and if you don't dodge at that moment you die. Whenever he fires said arrow, he also produces 4 balls of light that home in on you, killing you if they touch you. His weak spot is as small as you are and appears for about a half a second in a random direction whenever it goes to fetch it's own arrow. If you ever fire and miss, using the arrow retrieval will also suck his arrow toward you, killing you if you touch it. If he gets a hold of your arrow however, he fires it bouncing around the arena, homing in on you on every bounce, and you're expected to wait until it stops before using the retrieve arrow button. If you don't, it instantly flies at you and kills you.

In short get good, but every other boss in the game felt at least fair, like if I died I messed up. When I defeated the final boss I felt like I got lucky and not much else.
you haven't reached the real final boss, who's pretty cool

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you haven't reached the real final boss, who's pretty cool

:gonk:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Poulpe posted:

This was the exact point I quit too. I loved the game but that boss was just no fun for me.

Hey I'm Albedo oh the magic ship is the spear of Longinus and KOS-MOS was Mary Magdalene! Yeah, random Christian symbolism! Worked for Eva! Remember that dude that died to save you? Oops he's back to do another heroic sacrifice and oops x2 we forgot to program in his death scene.

I could have been a Xenosaga fan boy on the same level as Final Fantasy. But...Nope.

To be fair, this seems to be a frequent problem since Xenogears had half its story told in stills after F8 (I think it was 8?) ate its budget then the game just kind of ended.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't what sort of person could get 100% in under 2 hours in Metroid: Zero Mission. To do so you need to recite the game from memory as well as save-scum every time you miss a pixel-perfect boost, all while consulting a walk-through. All for the promise to see Samus in an outfit less-revealing than the catsuit you wear in the lovely stealth-level.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Nuebot posted:

This was the exact point I quit too. I loved the game but that boss was just no fun for me.

Same, perhaps partly due to stubbornness. I was kind of determined to beat the game without looking online to see how to beat any of the bosses, but couldn't even figure out what its weak spot was supposed to be. Got killed about 50 times in a row and eventually just dropped the game entirely.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Same, perhaps partly due to stubbornness. I was kind of determined to beat the game without looking online to see how to beat any of the bosses, but couldn't even figure out what its weak spot was supposed to be. Got killed about 50 times in a row and eventually just dropped the game entirely.

That was my exact problem with it, too. The only other boss I felt they weren't entirely clear about how to beat was that weird water snake thing. But otherwise most of the bosses were pretty solid and fun to fight, I can't think of any I genuinely hated. But then this fucker shows up and it plays like some annoying hard mode romhack.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Vault 22 in Fallout New Vegas is so terrible, and everything relating to it is terrible. so awful that obsidian thought "Lets make the remnants of vault 22 terrible assholes for Honest Hearts, too!"

edit: also you can't get "Fist of the north Rawr" without Wild Wasteland.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Jan 16, 2017

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I'm pretty sure they show up in Old World Blues as well...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Vault 22 is the real star of the game...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Whichever one had the "Gaaaaaary" clone vault is the best.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I remember hearing about the first thing from the thread so I got it ASAP. I just forget to use it most of the time. I miss the martial artist dudes from Origins, those were neat and way preferable to getting punished for hitting the wrong dude.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inside is a lot easier than Limbo was. They seemed to have focused on atmosphere more than puzzles and platforming, which is fine but a bit of a bummer to me. The problem is that the game being so much easier made the world feel much less dangerous.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Whichever one had the "Gaaaaaary" clone vault is the best.

:yeah:

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Vault 108.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hi dead money please stop telling me that the way im going is through this dead end that has a giant toxic cloud ok you know what gently caress off lets noclip this

ah, im still poisoned aaaaaaaand im dead aaaaaaand the game crashed. well, at least that one was on me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Without noclip I would never have finished Oblivion.

There needs to be "Oblivion without Oblivion," like "Garfield Minus Garfield."

Queen_Combat has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

"Your map is useless here, don't follow it blindly" - Dead Money

*follows map blindly, dies* "URG THIS DLC SUCKS" - players