Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, kinda at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blah, fine....

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, can I skip this arc entirely? I’m not really enjoying it. Is there anything important I’d miss?

gently caress no you can't skip it. Suffering game is the gateway to the end game.

You can listen to the last two episodes and skip the rest, at least

If it makes you feel better, the end of suffering game is one of the best TAZ moments of all time, so you have something to look forward to.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Suffering Game is a slog for a couple episodes, you can skip to Part 6 without missing anything too fun.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s definitely a slog, it feels like it took 4~5 episodes to accomplish what 1 or 2 could have done. The “suffering” part lingers too long and new revelations, advancement in the plot, etc. comes too slowly for it to not be a drag. It’s not so much a problem of pacing as much as a problem of getting caught up in the Suffering Game itself, which is not interesting or fun.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Pollyanna posted:

It’s definitely a slog, it feels like it took 4~5 episodes to accomplish what 1 or 2 could have done. The “suffering” part lingers too long and new revelations, advancement in the plot, etc. comes too slowly for it to not be a drag. It’s not so much a problem of pacing as much as a problem of getting caught up in the Suffering Game itself, which is not interesting or fun.

Now imagine it was two weeks between episodes.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Good music though

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Really driven home with the sticker

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Pollyanna posted:

There were months of this thread bemoaning the same thing. Ttazz clears it up a bit in that Griffin wanted to build lasting punishment and despair in a group that was skating unscathed through each arc. In hindsight it's easy to see what Griffin was going for but it drags and drags through most of the arc. The fun stuff all happens at the end.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A lot of post-Pedals TAZ is Griffin trying to find ways to actually affect the characters in a meaningful way and it eventually gets through (with Merle taking the longest)

The moment it works in Suffering Game is when Magnus and Taako finally snap and stop pretending to be positive. Justin and Travis easily could have kept that going beyond all reason, but that would have been weird roleplaying.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think my thing with Suffering Game was that it started with a big light show put on by 2 elves describes as being basically Jesse and James, and then we get one of the first bad luck punishments being Taako getting a washing machine dropped on him. I was really expecting something light but consequential that would turn sort of dark at the end, but instead it was dark the whole time, leaning more on the suffering than the game.

I still listened to it, and like enough parts of it that I didn't mind, but it was much longer than it really needed to be.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
How many sessions was The Suffering Game for the players before they actually broke out of the loop? I'm not arguing it didn't drag on, but I can't remember if that was more of the fault of it being spread across multiple sessions over being spread out across multiple weeks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And Griffin and Travis both had their babies around that time, so there were a few off weeks.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Maybe I'm just way too lenient on stuff I like but I don't remember having any problems with the Suffering Game or really any major problem with any part of TAZ. There are always minor nitpicks but that's the highest level anything has risen to for me with the show.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

flatluigi posted:

How many sessions was The Suffering Game for the players before they actually broke out of the loop? I'm not arguing it didn't drag on, but I can't remember if that was more of the fault of it being spread across multiple sessions over being spread out across multiple weeks

Oct 20 was chapter one, Nov 17 was chapter two when they actually got inside, then three four and five spread from Dec 15 to Jan 26 where they were stuck in the loop. Feb 9 was their last loop when things got interesting, and Feb 23rd was the last one with Chapter seven.

While a lot of it was the timing from October to February, even binging it was about 4 hours of content where they didn't do much. I don't think there is another instance in the entire show where 4 hours of content go by without much being accomplished.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Maybe I'm just way too lenient on stuff I like but I don't remember having any problems with the Suffering Game or really any major problem with any part of TAZ. There are always minor nitpicks but that's the highest level anything has risen to for me with the show.

But this too, when I listened through for the third time (shut up) I still listened to every episode of the suffering game. It's not that bad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For what it's worth, I listen to a lot of actual play podcasts (across many games) and TAZ is the best in terms of overall story, production values and jokes that are more than dick/fart stuff.

Dragon Friends is funnier all around but it's very manic.

Glass Cannon is played by professional writers and one of the players is an INCREDIBLE roleplayer. They also know the rules so well that they can break the system in fun ways.

So TAZ has its problems but no one does it better overall.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That’s not to say Suffering Game is bad, it’s just not as good as previous arcs. Hope it picks up in part 7.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little resentful of the characters randomly getting maimed and memory wiped due to lol game show.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Inzombiac posted:

For what it's worth, I listen to a lot of actual play podcasts (across many games) and TAZ is the best in terms of overall story, production values and jokes that are more than dick/fart stuff.

Dragon Friends is funnier all around but it's very manic.

Glass Cannon is played by professional writers and one of the players is an INCREDIBLE roleplayer. They also know the rules so well that they can break the system in fun ways.

So TAZ has its problems but no one does it better overall.

I don't want to be that dude constantly in this thread but like if you think TAZ is good in those terms (edit: and it is, don't get me wrong!) you really should pick up Friends at the Table

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Oct 20 was chapter one, Nov 17 was chapter two when they actually got inside, then three four and five spread from Dec 15 to Jan 26 where they were stuck in the loop. Feb 9 was their last loop when things got interesting, and Feb 23rd was the last one with Chapter seven.

While a lot of it was the timing from October to February, even binging it was about 4 hours of content where they didn't do much. I don't think there is another instance in the entire show where 4 hours of content go by without much being accomplished.

I meant sessions as in how many times the mcelroys actually sat down to play the game across the episodes in the arc, because I feel like I remember thinking at least a couple of those were single sessions spread across two or even three episodes

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 6, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

flatluigi posted:

I don't want to be that dude constantly in this thread but like if you think TAZ is good in those terms (edit: and it is, don't get me wrong!) you really should pick up Friends at the Table

I meant sessions as in how many times the mcelroys actually sat down to play the game across the episodes in the arc, because I feel like I remember thinking at least a couple of those were single sessions spread across two or even three episodes

Except FATT has an entire season that has such poor audio quality that it's unlistenable.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Was it recorded with Rock Band mics?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Are FATT seasons entirely self-contained? Is there anything lost by not listening from the start? Also what's their style...is there much comedy or is it mostly serious roleplay/storytelling?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

Are FATT seasons entirely self-contained? Is there anything lost by not listening from the start? Also what's their style...is there much comedy or is it mostly serious roleplay/storytelling?

No, yes but they have recommendations for good spots to jump in, and their style is like the most self-serious roleplay possible.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

ekeog posted:

their style is like the most self-serious roleplay possible.

Oof, I was considering listening but this is a huge turnoff.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

I probably come off too judgy there - there's cool things they do in the episodes I heard but it definitely required a lot more attention to keep up with than I was giving it. It's something I can admire but didn't really enjoy.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Autumn, Marielda, and Winter are all heavily connected and also lame. COUNTER/Weight and Twilight Mirage are connected but just barely, and also extremely good, with lots of jokes thrown in.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Angry Walrus posted:

Autumn, Marielda, and Winter are all heavily connected and also lame. COUNTER/Weight and Twilight Mirage are connected but just barely, and also extremely good, with lots of jokes thrown in.
I liked Marielda. Couldn't get into the other Heiron seasons though.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Angry Walrus posted:

yeah but it still sounds like their microphones are in a toilet tank half the time

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Legs Benedict posted:

yeah but it still sounds like their microphones are in a toilet tank half the time

except not? there's like one bad episode soundwise i can think of in C/w and that's because of a weird recording software fuckup.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Except FATT has an entire season that has such poor audio quality that it's unlistenable.

I mean... early MBMBaM was garbage quality audio, and bits of the oldest McElroy content is a little yikes-ey. I don’t find it unlistenable. FatT has always been some friends playing together and only recently monetized with their Patreon (audio issues clear up well before then, though!).

Colonel Whitey posted:

My recommended starting point is episode 03 of Marielda - you meet the characters after the first two episodes of worldbuilding, it’s a shorter mini season and the story is relatively self-contained. It is not comedians putting out a comedy show, but gently caress me there is something really wonderful about listening to these good folks tell a collaborative story using game systems and I absolutely laughed my rear end off with them.

Counter/weight is also fantastic, though I don’t think it takes off until they change systems. The show always takes its time since it’s friends having fun vs like, clocking in for an hour at the podcast factory. There is infinite free media out there In 2018, I can understand it not clicking for a lot of people. I am just an enormous fan.

I think the best and worst pitch for this thread is that FatT is a huge influence on Griffin’s late Balance storytelling. So, check it out if you want to see what helped [ruin and or elevate our perfect boy/make late TAZ impactful storytelling/polarize this thread]. It’s cool to listen to a good thing and then be able to go back and see its influence on something you already liked.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Legs Benedict posted:

1) download any episode that came out since 2016 and listen at any point 2) fight me irl!!!

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
the key difference is that unlike griffin, austin lets the players shape the game and actually make their own choices and will relegate npcs to the background instead of having them do everything because "they're just so cool, guys!"

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm new on the FATT train and about halfway through the current season, Twilight Mirage, and haven't listened to any of the others. I really enjoy it, but it's a very different beast from TAZ. I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for a more serious RPG with a more complex plot, more fleshed-out characters, and a more unique setting, but it's not the place to go if you're looking for a comedy actual play podcast. They do joke some but it's definitely much more serious in tone than even the most serious TAZ episodes.

That said if you're ok with something a little darker and quite a bit more serious, you could do a lot worse. Austin is a great GM.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Trip Report, improv team Shadowrun podcast NeoScum is fine, but not for me.

A lot of that is that shadowrun bores the gently caress out of me, maybe some of you guys will enjoy it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Pollyanna posted:

Also I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little resentful of the characters randomly getting maimed and memory wiped due to lol game show.

I don't see any problem with your feelings about this. I felt similarly as it was going on and in general things feel super rude and bad to Merle especially. There are reasons, but that doesn't mean you have to enjoy them.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

By the way, in case it wasn't obvious, Griffin is enormously influenced by other media and Suffering Game started straight after he played Zero Time Dilemma.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Angry Walrus posted:

the key difference is that unlike griffin, austin lets the players shape the game and actually make their own choices and will relegate npcs to the background instead of having them do everything because "they're just so cool, guys!"

Boy, you are an angry walrus.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Not Operator posted:

By the way, in case it wasn't obvious, Griffin is enormously influenced by other media and Suffering Game started straight after he played Zero Time Dilemma.

Eleventh Hour was a better Zero Escape arc than Suffering Game :colbert:

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Colonel Whitey posted:

Boy, you are an angry walrus.

griffin is a good storyteller but a bad gm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Colonel Whitey posted:

"Self-serious" is a really bad descriptor -- they have a ton of fun and there's definitely a bunch of great dumb jokes and silliness (rest in peace laser ted). If you follow waypoint or followed giantbomb a while back, austin walker is the DM of friends at the table and his vibe shines through across the podcast

The closest thing I could say to it being "self serious" is that everyone involved is really into their characters, really into the worldbuilding (everything is built collaboratively from scratch), and really into storytelling, but I don't think that's a downside in any way shape or form honestly. My only complaint is that it's really not a podcast to put on in the background while you're doing other stuff or you might lose the thread of what's happening, but I definitely found that to be an issue at times with TAZ too so it might just be me

(also, for the record, I never found the sound quality to be unlistenable, though it definitely improves)

That said, if you're specifically saying "TAZ is the best in terms of overall story, production values and jokes that are more than dick/fart stuff" it's all stuff I feel FATT does extremely well. The music made for the podcast is killer, too; I've been listening through the counterweight OST again since I posted my recommendation upthread and it's making me want to relisten to the entire arc really badly

edit: i'm really torn between wanting a dedicated FATT thread here and knowing that it'd just go the way literally every podcast thread I read on here goes including this one