Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
gently caress me trials is nothing but icebreaker

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

CheeseFactory posted:

CHOOM

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Mmmhmm

Boy I sure am glad THEY FIXED THE SPECIAL AMMO PROBLEM BECAUSE "I HATE GETTING KILLED BY SHOTGUNS"

"WOW CAN YOU BELIVE HOW MUCH FASTER PVP PLAYS?"

-professional destiny streamers

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I think I'm in a mood...

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

el B posted:

Mmmhmm

Boy I sure am glad THEY FIXED THE SPECIAL AMMO PROBLEM BECAUSE "I HATE GETTING KILLED BY SHOTGUNS"

"WOW CAN YOU BELIVE HOW MUCH FASTER PVP PLAYS?"

-professional destiny streamers

I found it odd when tripleWreck was praising the changes up and down then like 2 weeks later was back to complaining, he seemed pissed during the last IB to.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Alteisen posted:

I found it odd when tripleWreck was praising the changes up and down then like 2 weeks later was back to complaining, he seemed pissed during the last IB to.

I honestly don't mind the changes. I like them for the most part.

But it sucks dick for trials and special weapons that bypass the ammo restrictions make it suck double dick.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
There's plenty of special to not notice a real difference as long as you're not just shotgun kill trading. Granted all the shotgun kill traders just traded in for fusion grenades and Icebreaker ruined trials but hey BALANCE AMIRITE

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

CheeseFactory posted:

Same but clash

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Wrecks%20Box%20One/video/29993862

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

:stoked:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
People like having special ammo. People have had special for 3 years. They took it away, people will try to get it. Bungie hosed up royal by making it possible.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Kind of weird that nerfing the everliving gently caress out of shotguns wasn't enough. I'm sorry, but if you let the enemy get into shotgun range and they kill you with a shotgun, that's on you. There are plenty of ways to counter shotguns in this version of Destiny and the special ammo changes were really dumb.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DrNutt posted:

Kind of weird that nerfing the everliving gently caress out of shotguns wasn't enough. I'm sorry, but if you let the enemy get into shotgun range and they kill you with a shotgun, that's on you. There are plenty of ways to counter shotguns in this version of Destiny and the special ammo changes were really dumb.

Not to come down to hard on you but in high level crucible you generally could not counter shotguns with anything but a shotgun. And that shotgun was a matador.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The game is in a pretty good spot right now, they just need to get rid of icebreaker's ammo regen and force NLB to the secondary slot (so that when people drop icebreaker and for the next most cheesy sniper, at least it follows special ammo rules).

Same for Invective and UR.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!
If they're smart they'll dump the special-as-primary and ammo regenerating exotics in destiny 2.

Which probably means they'll have an ammo regenerating primary machine gun exotic.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Yeah. Legitimately all they have to do is remove icebreaker, UR and NLB. Maybe touch invective a bit.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

The game is in a pretty good spot right now, they just need to get rid of icebreaker's ammo regen and force NLB to the secondary slot (so that when people drop icebreaker and for the next most cheesy sniper, at least it follows special ammo rules).

Same for Invective and UR.

Invective is a non issue. The timer doesn't progress if you're dead and 30 seconds for 4 rounds of crap range low impact shotty is drat near worthless. If IB had Invective's steep 30 second regen in crucible I don't think it would be nearly as bad as it is now.

I'm kinda torn on NLB. On the one hand I love to use it because it's challenging and legitimately difficult to use, not because it lets me bypass the special economy. Additionally the recent (and well deserved) flinch fix for NLB hit it hard making a difficult to use weapon even harder to use. NLB also pretty much forces you to sidearm and when combined with the recent sidearm ammo nerf limits me to literally one close up engagement at a time. It's extremely limiting and really tanks how many kills I can actually get in a game. I think its in a good place but on the other hand maybe I'm a little biased.

I'm not sure on UR. I don't really see it enough.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 22, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NLB is fine right now, yes. But if Bungie took away icebreaker all the meta spergs would flock to the next item on the list that guarantees they always have sniper ammo, which is really what it's all about.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
NLB is hard to use in 6s. It's much more forgiving in 3s. If icebreaker wasn't around everyone would just go back to using it and we'd have the same broken all sniping meta in 3s.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Implement requisition packs to call in special weapons like Halo 5 in a desperate attempt to wring out the last bit of money from the waning playerbase

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Not to come down to hard on you but in high level crucible you generally could not counter shotguns with anything but a shotgun. And that shotgun was a matador.

Well, in close quarters yes, but that means you let someone close the distance. And balancing should be for making the game more fun for everyone, not making sure the super elites aren't whining about something, because they will always find a meta and they will always whine about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are there any sneaky good rolls to be had from the faction weapon pools? I got a mountain of heavy synth to clear out and am trying to decide who gets all that sweet ammunition.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

Are there any sneaky good rolls to be had from the faction weapon pools? I got a mountain of heavy synth to clear out and am trying to decide who gets all that sweet ammunition.

The Unto Dust 00 being sold right now is the highest single target DPS heavy for stuff like Aksis.

e: oh rank ups. Ummm.

DO: Bitter Edge
FWC: Wail
NM: Deposition

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Literally not what I asked at all!

edit - nice edit

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DrNutt posted:

Well, in close quarters yes, but that means you let someone close the distance. And balancing should be for making the game more fun for everyone, not making sure the super elites aren't whining about something, because they will always find a meta and they will always whine about it.

Last point valid. First point not. The movement options and overall weakness of primaries meant you could close the gap to shotgun range before anyone could do a drat thing.

Exhibit A: https://youtu.be/QvpBGSFoEPU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
if the lobby is even half competent and you're radar is lit you're dead. There's no dealing with shotties with the movement in this game. At best all you're going to do is trade with a shotty or a sticky.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I don't miss games of being killed by nothing but shotguns, that's for sure, but it was a Monkey's Paw scenario for that to go away. Hamrick's America is a lovely place dominated by idiot brain and lack of any real foresight but the real Bungie employees are all over D2 so things should be better to start with. Right??

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

DrNutt posted:

The thing is Bungie always over nerfs stuff. Who knows how the shotgun changes would have worked out with previous ammo set ups. It's never enough for them to change 1 thing they change like 20. You can't really get any decent info about what changes are doing what then.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
anyone who thinks that 'just don't let them close the gap' was a viable counter to the shotgun meta has next to no useful input on how the game actually works with anything approaching reasonable skill levels

maybe if every map was like those combined arms maps then yeah 'don't let them close the gap' could be more than a joke but it seems like bungie's primary map design inspiration for destiny was that garbage Chiron 420-69 map that was covered in teleporters or whatever from halo 1

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

anyone who thinks that 'just don't let them close the gap' was a viable counter to the shotgun meta has next to no useful input on how the game actually works with anything approaching reasonable skill levels

maybe if every map was like those combined arms maps then yeah 'don't let them close the gap' could be more than a joke but it seems like bungie's primary map design inspiration for destiny was that garbage Chiron 420-69 map that was covered in teleporters or whatever from halo 1

You mean crossroads?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FishBulb posted:

The thing is Bungie always over nerfs stuff. Who knows how the shotgun changes would have worked out with previous ammo set ups. It's never enough for them to change 1 thing they change like 20. You can't really get any decent info about what changes are doing what then.

0.04%

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

LMAO when you say "reasonable skill levels" you realize you are talking about like the top 5 maybe 10 percent of players right? The vast majority of players are terrible. I have always been an average PvPer and my skills have massively improved from playing with goons in the past couple months, and when I solo queue into lobbies now I feel like some kind of golden God.

The reality is that while I am willing to acknowledge that my opinions on shotguns may not be as well informed as a platinum ELO flawless trials guy or whatever, the game should be balanced for the majority of players, not the elite. If anything stuff like the ammo nerf should have been a trials only thing because frankly it's where it would be most welcome if not for the current meta of the icebreaker choom gang.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i wish i had your summer matchmaking :(

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Wasn't it .08?

But anyways that still came with a bunch of other changes at the time. They need to make small changes more frequently instead of the way they do things now which is to change 20 times at once every 4 months.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, anyone over the 50th percentile knows what it's like to get broadsided by a shotgun constantly. It wasn't some trick only the elite could manage, it just got more unstoppable the further up the ladder you got.

Bungie did balance for the "majority of players" because shotgun maining was an issue in all lobbies. All you needed was to sprint at someone around a corner and you were pretty much guaranteed to at least get a trade.

If "all weapons see use" is the metric for balance Crucible right now is far and away better than it has been at any other point in Destiny's history.

Except for ammo regen sniper rifles.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i wish i had your summer matchmaking :(

I'm PadreChester.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

If "all weapons see use" is the metric for balance Crucible right now is far and away better than it has been at any other point in Destiny's history.

I would give most of the credit for that to the weapon bounties, though. There never used to be any incentive to change things up other than chasing the current best gun on paper, now you actually get a reward for departing from the One True Loadout. Balance tweaks here just make doing this less frustrating than it could have been otherwise.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haveblue posted:

I would give most of the credit for that to the weapon bounties, though. There never used to be any incentive to change things up other than chasing the current best gun on paper, now you actually get a reward for departing from the One True Loadout. Balance tweaks here just make doing this less frustrating than it could have been otherwise.

The weapons bounties are great because when I am getting stomped using Suros by people who have their MIDAS out, I'm at least usually not alone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

haveblue posted:

Probably helped but the variety was pretty good even before those bounties were available.

Most players were probably still in the "wtf no more special ammo WHAT DO WE DO" phase though and trying everything to see what worked (hint: 88/8 AR with HCR).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

haveblue posted:

I mag dump the spark spawn with MIDA to get that bounty done because gently caress scouts forever. Also rift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I mag dump the spark spawn with MIDA to get that bounty done because gently caress scouts forever. Also rift

Played four more rounds of rift yesterday, I'm now sitting at 6/15 total dunks needed for the book node. :suicide:

• Locked thread