Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CopperHound posted:

Week one:
"What are you doing with all this crazy computer stuff? Why do you need multiple hard drives?"

Week four:
"Hey, I wasn't able to watch the last episode of 'the good place'. Why isn't it downloaded yet?"

Oh my god this literally happened this week to me.

Still not sure wtf is up with that season of TGP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

That Works posted:

Oh my god this literally happened this week to me.

Still not sure wtf is up with that season of TGP

tvdb has a stick up their bum with episode numbering, so things that look for episodes always get it wrong. basically tvdb considers the opening of the season to be two separate episodes even though they're aired back to back and according to TV guides is a combo episode "chapter xx, xx+1" so it always breaks

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TraderStav posted:

I'm planning to build a NAS in the next few weeks but am unsure of what some of the best/common practices for general home use.

Most modern NAS solutions (Synology, FreeNAS, Unraid) all have some sort of advanced RAID5(ish) style option that will let you do one- or two-drive redundancy. That is, out of an array of 3 drives, you could lose any 1 and still be fine, while getting the usable space of 2 drives. So if you got 3x8TB drives you'd have 16TB of usable space and could lose any single drive and be fine. And you don't get hosed if your hardware raid controller dies, either. Traditional RAID0/1 is mostly dead for storage purposes because of this.

Most NAS solutions also have some sort of built in support for docker/jail/plugin VMs for running most of the common apps, like Plex and torrent clients. The upside is they're convenient. The downside is they tend to lag behind the normal releases, in some cases considerably. If you're going the DIY route it may be worth the effort to set up legit VMs and install your applications there, but that's up to you.

e: if the drives you got from the firesale are SMR "archive" drives (look up the model numbers when you get them), know that while they will work fine, their write performance will be dogshit once you fill them enough that they need to start overwriting/rearranging files. It's not the worst thing if you don't write to them often, but I would not suggest using them as a scratch/target disk for torrents, for example.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 26, 2020

nerox
May 20, 2001
Thanks guys, I ordered the synology today. Looks like 8tb western digitals are on sale again on bestbuy.com so I guess I will be shucking 2 more soon.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

Has AMT gotten better?
I have a previous generation of it in my HTPC NUC (and laptop, though it's disabled), and it is so incredibly finnicky to get working, especially the VNC stuff for KVM.

Not really sure what your idea of "older" AMT would be--the one I'm futzing with now is AMT 9.x on a Haswell-era chip, but my experience has been frustrating. It was obnoxious to get set up to the point where it would even bother to pull an IP, half the time it still doesn't show up for mystery reasons, and the only part I've been able to get reliably working is the ability to pull hardware reports, which is useless for me. VNC/KVM I've yet to get working at all, despite the options being exposed in Mesh Commander. 3/10 would not want to deal with ever again. Thankfully for me, this server is something I can just walk over to if I need it, and once I installed ESXi I could just use KVM through that perfectly fine, but AMT 9.x seems to be no match for IPMI by any means.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Not really sure what your idea of "older" AMT would be--the one I'm futzing with now is AMT 9.x on a Haswell-era chip, but my experience has been frustrating. It was obnoxious to get set up to the point where it would even bother to pull an IP, half the time it still doesn't show up for mystery reasons, and the only part I've been able to get reliably working is the ability to pull hardware reports, which is useless for me. VNC/KVM I've yet to get working at all, despite the options being exposed in Mesh Commander. 3/10 would not want to deal with ever again. Thankfully for me, this server is something I can just walk over to if I need it, and once I installed ESXi I could just use KVM through that perfectly fine, but AMT 9.x seems to be no match for IPMI by any means.
Yeah, AMT v9.x is the same generation as I have - there are three generations: v1.0-v4.1, v5.0-v9.0, v11.0-current - and yeah it's an exercise in frustration which is ironic because AMT was supposed to make server administration easier since you wouldn't have to go to a physical server with a physical KVM terminal on a rolling table or a rolling stand.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
My motherboard vendor never bothered updating my AMT firmware to fix that huge breach. Nor did they patch my hilariously vulnerable TPM. gently caress OEMs never updating their poo poo.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

My motherboard vendor never bothered updating my AMT firmware to fix that huge breach. Nor did they patch my hilariously vulnerable TPM. gently caress OEMs never updating their poo poo.
Intel (the NUC running FreeBSD and Kodi) and Lenovo (the T420 running FreeBSD) are the only vendors that I know of that've published fixes to the hardware I have that's from 2011/2012, with those issues.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe someone can let me know why any home user would care about AMT firmware fixes.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

redeyes posted:

Maybe someone can let me know why any home user would care about AMT firmware fixes.

maybe someone can let me know why any home user would be reading the supernerd thread

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

redeyes posted:

Being a home user doesn't protect you from security vulnerabilities in your kit. Kind of the opposite in fact, since you can be sure that if you don't care about security no one else will.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

maybe someone can let me know why any home user would be reading the supernerd thread

'The consumer NAS/storage megathread'

Have at it I guess, i couldn't care less.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

Being a home user doesn't protect you from security vulnerabilities in your kit. Kind of the opposite in fact, since you can be sure that if you don't care about security no one else will.

As a double bonus, most consumers are sitting behind some trash-tier Netgear or similar router, which are...not well known for their security.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The use of 'consumer' in the title always seemed ironic to me, or used to differentiate this thread from one that's about +10000-disk arrays.

..Although some posters seem to be getting close.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Eletriarnation posted:

DrDork posted:

As a double bonus, most consumers are sitting behind some trash-tier Netgear or similar router, which are...not well known for their security.

Yeah, if anything, I'm *more* cautious with my home gear because who else is gonna watch it. It's a microscopic target comparatively, sure, but that doesn't mean it can't be found

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

The use of 'consumer' in the title always seemed ironic to me, or used to differentiate this thread from one that's about +10000-disk arrays.

..Although some posters seem to be getting close.

:getin:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Milkman posted:

Yeah, if anything, I'm *more* cautious with my home gear because who else is gonna watch it. It's a microscopic target comparatively, sure, but that doesn't mean it can't be found
Given enough time, the advanced techniques used by nation states might eventually end up in the hands of botnet owners who apply it broadly to /0, so there's a good reason right there to keep your stuff upgraded, even if it's behind a firewall.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
It's me, a dirty home user who knows just enough to get himself into trouble with SnapRAID, Storage Spaces, and a few shucked drives hooked into old Sabrent docking stations.

It works, it's expandable, and it should be resilient against bit-rot and hard drive failures, but I'm not going to pretend it's pretty or smart.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

It's me, a dirty home user who knows just enough to get himself into trouble with SnapRAID, Storage Spaces, and a few shucked drives hooked into old Sabrent docking stations.

It works, it's expandable, and it should be resilient against bit-rot and hard drive failures, but I'm not going to pretend it's pretty or smart.
Does it do checksumming? If it does, it's at least safe from bitrot (though not all of the other malignancies harddisks like to have fun with).

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Does it do checksumming? If it does, it's at least safe from bitrot (though not all of the other malignancies harddisks like to have fun with).

Yeah, it syncs every day and scrubs....every week or so? About 8%? I'd have to go back and check the scheduler. It made sense at the time for useful scrub frequency vs. wear and tear.

I've got one group of hard drives set under Storage Spaces as A (16TB), another group under B (16TB). A is the working group, B is the backup. The checksum is duplicated across A, B, and the system drive.

8TB of the most important stuff (blu rays we've ripped from our personal collection and donated, music collection, etc) are also in cold storage on a single external drive in a fire/waterproof safe. I briefly considered also dicking around with Google suite to see if I could get that in their cloud as well (since, as mentioned here, they don't seem to enforce size limits) but, you know. :effort:

nerox
May 20, 2001
My synology and hard drives came in this morning and I got everything up and running in about 30 minutes. I am getting scary fast at shucking those Western Digital drives.

Looks like everything works great, any recommendations on online backup service that works with synology?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nerox posted:

My synology and hard drives came in this morning and I got everything up and running in about 30 minutes. I am getting scary fast at shucking those Western Digital drives.

It takes me about 90 seconds/drive. I've even got hotel swipe cards cut to the right shape in my desk drawer and the right size Torx driver. Boom boom case off, boom boom screws out, board off, slap everything back into the case sans drive, done.

nerox
May 20, 2001

sharkytm posted:

It takes me about 90 seconds/drive. I've even got hotel swipe cards cut to the right shape in my desk drawer and the right size Torx driver. Boom boom case off, boom boom screws out, board off, slap everything back into the case sans drive, done.

I didn't even have a torx driver at my office, but I had some vice grips. I pulled the rubber thats over the little peg and locked onto the peg to get it going then just unscrewed them by hand.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

I've got one group of hard drives set under Storage Spaces as A (16TB), another group under B (16TB). A is the working group, B is the backup. The checksum is duplicated across A, B, and the system drive.
I don't know that this makes sense. Checksum is per-block (how UFS will work), per-record (how ZFS works) or per-file (don't know of anything that uses this, but it's definitely possible). There's nothing about checksums that make sense for them to be duplicated, as they don't function like erasure codes to provide P or P+Q protections (think RAID5 or RAID6) - they are purely for verifying whether the data you read from disk matches the checksum.

Also, a backup is by definition something that can't be eaten by cryptolocker, et cetera.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

I don't know that this makes sense. Checksum is per-block (how UFS will work), per-record (how ZFS works) or per-file (don't know of anything that uses this, but it's definitely possible). There's nothing about checksums that make sense for them to be duplicated, as they don't function like erasure codes to provide P or P+Q protections (think RAID5 or RAID6) - they are purely for verifying whether the data you read from disk matches the checksum.

Also, a backup is by definition something that can't be eaten by cryptolocker, et cetera.

Whoop, I mixed up checksum and parity files. The checksum is stored in the main content backup on B. Like I said, dirty home user.

I agree that the most secure way to store stuff you really don't want to lose is throwing it in cold storage, but there isn't really a shorthand to my knowledge to say "an available copy of data that you can use to restore your stuff quickly that is not the surest way to keep things secure but is more convenient to update".

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

nerox posted:

Looks like everything works great, any recommendations on online backup service that works with synology?

Amazon is pretty popular if you never intend to need it. And supported to hell and back by synology.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

nerox posted:

Backblaze B2 is worth looking at

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

fletcher posted:

Backblaze B2 is worth looking at

I use B2 with my synology and have been very happy with it so far, although I've never had to do a complete restore from it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there any point to something like a Dell R720 or R520 for home storage?

24x2.5" drives would be $$$ and you'd be stuck using tiny 1TB drives

12x3.5" drives would leave you still kind of small 3TB drives (or slightly bigger but more expensive SAS drives)

You could pack so much more into a 45drives setup or even one of the bigger synology units and not have to deal with Dell drives

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Even B2 is still expensive for when you need to store TBs. To do my library at the moment would be $222.62/month.

Personally I do my own offsites in a storage unit on more shucked disks - seems to make sense since the breakeven on the drives, well, I've already broken even months ago. That recurring cost is a major pain imo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I’ve put non-Dell 2.5” drives (Samsung SATA consumer SSDs) into a Dell Rsonething SAS bay connected to sone kind of PERC controller and gotten it to work. I know, I know, those are super specific details, it’s been a while and I don’t have access to that hardware any more.

I would not characterize any Dell PowerEdge as appropriate for home use no matter how sweet a deal you get.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Usenet is my backup.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sniep posted:

Even B2 is still expensive for when you need to store TBs. To do my library at the moment would be $222.62/month.

Backblaze Personal is like $6/mo with unlimited storage (and they do mean it). It takes a little to get it working with network drives (since it doesn't support them natively), but via a VM or similar it can be done.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Usenet is my backup.

You are a brave man.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Shucked a bunk drive. :smith:

E: I use gsuite as my backup since they don't enforce the 1tb limit for under five users anyways.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Shucked a bunk drive. :smith:

E: I use gsuite as my backup since they don't enforce the 1tb limit for under five users anyways.

I always hook 'em up and do badblocks/etc. before shucking.

Speaking of, my 12TB pair is finally on the 0x00 test after 230 hours. I think in the future I might only test a fraction of the blocks.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

BobHoward posted:

I would not characterize any Dell PowerEdge as appropriate for home use no matter how sweet a deal you get.

I run VMs on an R710, it's fine as long as you don't have to pay thru the nose for electricity.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Or have to locate it anywhere you'll have to listen to it's fans.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Smashing Link posted:

You are a brave man.

All I read is "my time isn't worth much"

I'd rather have several backups than waste time downloading stuff I already downloaded and sorted once

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Diddler posted:

I run VMs on an R710, it's fine as long as you don't have to pay thru the nose for electricity.

Speaking of...do we have a homelab thread? I'm going to try to get a bunch of stuff we've taken out of production at work, and take it home to play with for a short time before I get bored with it and sell it.

Two NetApps, a couple random Dell and IBM rack servers and storage units.