Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
This might be an incredibly dumb question but...
I have an etrade account with some stuff in it (lil bit of stock, lil bit of funds, etc) and a new Robinhood account for some small time stock playing. Basically everything I do is for long term though.
Is there a reason, other than having everything in the same spot, not to buy the ETFs I want in Robinhood so that I don't have to pay a fee like in etrade?

Note: this is all after IRA/401k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At least my Vanguard and Fidelity accounts have a breakdown of asset classes

I have Vanguard and I can only see the top 10 holding percentages in the company? Also, I wanted the website or app to categorize the stocks for me.

I’ll take a look at Personal Capital.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

This might be an incredibly dumb question but...
I have an etrade account with some stuff in it (lil bit of stock, lil bit of funds, etc) and a new Robinhood account for some small time stock playing. Basically everything I do is for long term though.
Is there a reason, other than having everything in the same spot, not to buy the ETFs I want in Robinhood so that I don't have to pay a fee like in etrade?

Note: this is all after IRA/401k.

If you're long-term buying and holding ETFs just use Vanguard (or Fidelity) for free instead of some startup platform. Now they even have hundreds/thousands of non-Vanguard ETFs that are commission free.

In 20 or more years Vanguard and Fidelity will probably still be around. Robinhood, who knows. Not that your securities are at risk, but just the headache of transfers and unknown new custodians etc. if they get bought or go out of business or whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

obi_ant posted:

I have Vanguard and I can only see the top 10 holding percentages in the company? Also, I wanted the website or app to categorize the stocks for me.

what do you mean when you say you want the app to categorize the stocks for you

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what do you mean when you say you want the app to categorize the stocks for you

Maybe I’m not using the correct terminology. Like tech stocks, public utility, brick and mortar stores, car manufacturers that sort of thing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's sectors, mostly. Retail, tech, auto, etc.?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

obi_ant posted:

Maybe I’m not using the correct terminology. Like tech stocks, public utility, brick and mortar stores, car manufacturers that sort of thing.

Why? Are you picking individual stocks or something?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Do you want to see behind the curtain at the exact tickers in what %? For example, all 500 stocks in the S&P 500 and their % held? (But for all the mutual funds you hold.)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

That's sectors, mostly. Retail, tech, auto, etc.?

Ah, I used the wrong terminology. Thanks for clearing that up.

BMan posted:

Why? Are you picking individual stocks or something?

Nope, just curious as to what sectors I'm not currently invested in.

H110Hawk posted:

Do you want to see behind the curtain at the exact tickers in what %? For example, all 500 stocks in the S&P 500 and their % held? (But for all the mutual funds you hold.)

That is correct, with the individual stocks categorized by sector.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Methanar posted:

If real estate is so bad, who are the people actually buying property

You can make a fuckload of money.

You can also lose a fuckload of money.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

obi_ant posted:

That is correct, with the individual stocks categorized by sector.

Fidelity at least has this, you won't get individual tickers though, just the chunks.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

obi_ant posted:

When you're on a Vanguard page for the fund, click Portfolio & Management and under the Top 10 holdings click on "Portfolio holdings", this will show each holding by # of shares held by the fund and market cap value of those held shares.

I don't know a way to do this automatically and to combine across various funds to show what your total holdings would be. If you're pursuing an index fund though, you should care more about what index it is pegging to and the tracking error. If it pegs to an index that aligns with your goals, then as long as the tracking error is minimal you're good to go; no real need to analyze individual stocks.

For the sector analysis you can view this in Vanguard across all of the accounts & holdings it is linked to by hovering over My Accounts then clicking on "Portfolio Watch". You can click into the stock analysis tab to get a break down by various factors including sector.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Vanguard holds this info as well so I'm sure there's a better way to dig it up. When I look at VFIFX, my 2050 target retirement fund, it shows this composition:

It sucks because they don't provide a direct hyperlink, but you can drill down one level deeper by manually looking up the index funds it is composed of. Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares (VTSMX) has this in its overview:

I don't know a way for it to more easily return an answer "for my portfolio, how much is in each sector?" but I suppose I could make a roundabout estimation using these figures.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

H110Hawk posted:

Fidelity at least has this, you won't get individual tickers though, just the chunks.

You can see the individual tickers if you do Reports->Holdings Detail.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Harry posted:

You can see the individual tickers if you do Reports->Holdings Detail.

That still isn't the individual equities underneath the mutual funds. For example, it should be at least 500 lines long if you own S&P 500. (I am curious as well, have tried to find this, and gave up quickly.)

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

That still isn't the individual equities underneath the mutual funds. For example, it should be at least 500 lines long if you own S&P 500. (I am curious as well, have tried to find this, and gave up quickly.)

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/composition/315911701

Click on prospectus. That'll give you their monthly holding report. It's the list of literally every holding they have broken down by % put out every month. Rinse and repeat for any fidelity fund.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

I gave the pathway earlier for it; for VTI here are all of its 3632 holdings. You can do the same for any of their funds by finding the fund page and following the pathway way I gave above.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Raldikuk posted:

I gave the pathway earlier for it; for VTI here are all of its 3632 holdings. You can do the same for any of their funds by finding the fund page and following the pathway way I gave above.

Apple Inc.
Microsoft Corp.
Amazon.com Inc.
Facebook Inc. Class A
Berkshire Hathaway Inc. Class B

I'm not a finance guy but it's so weird that the top 5 holdings can be so incestuous. IIRC Berkshire Hathaway also invests heavily in those companies. It's like Vanguard is double and triple investing in the same companies.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mu Zeta posted:

It will probably harm abortion rights in some way but it's not too bad

So if anyone else wasn't clear on this, like me, it is because the bill allows you to open a 529 before a baby is born which will somehow lead to a legal battle over abortion

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Raldikuk posted:

ranbo das posted:

https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/composition/315911701

Click on prospectus. That'll give you their monthly holding report. It's the list of literally every holding they have broken down by % put out every month. Rinse and repeat for any fidelity fund.

Fair enough. I missed that. I've never actually noticed those before so this is neat. Thanks!

I was referring to the Fidelity Full View report (as was the person I was replying to, I think) - I do wish there was a computed holdings based on my actual mutual funds. It's purely curiosity. Basically, based on your mutual funds FUSVX (123.45 shares), FSCKX (54.22 shares) ,etc, you own 9 shares of MSFT, 1 share of AAPL, etc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

So if anyone else wasn't clear on this, like me, it is because the bill allows you to open a 529 before a baby is born which will somehow lead to a legal battle over abortion

the bill also lets people spent 529 money on supplies and costs for home schooling, another conservative darling

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BlackMK4 posted:

This is purely an ideological move. There is nothing stopping people from opening 529s and switching beneficiaries once the baby is born.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple Inc.
Microsoft Corp.
Amazon.com Inc.
Facebook Inc. Class A

I'm not a finance guy but it's so weird that the top 5 holdings can be so incestuous. IIRC Berkshire Hathaway also invests heavily in those companies. It's like Vanguard is double and triple investing in the same companies.

Those top four aren't really very incestuous at all, except for "being tangentially computer-related".

Berkshire Hathaway has some substantial holdings in Apple, but none of the others (though Warren is friends with Bill). Warren's notoriously tech-phobic and has even said explicitly that he will not buy Microsoft stock. Microsoft used to hold some Apple preferred stock, but exited that position fifteen years ago. Facebook sits out from all of that as far as I know.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

the bill also lets people spent 529 money on supplies and costs for home schooling, another conservative darling
The BWM thread will grow fat on all the idiots claiming that their home and car are valid expenses to claim against their 529 funds and getting slapped by the IRS.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Apple Inc.
Microsoft Corp.
Amazon.com Inc.
Facebook Inc. Class A

That's one potential downside of the total market funds; they're all going to include those at heavy hitters in their portfolio. Good call out with Berkshire too. I feel a bit uncomfortable with so much Facebook stock when I think the whole platform is absurd though they seem to be able to generate decent enough revenues.

H110Hawk posted:

Fair enough. I missed that. I've never actually noticed those before so this is neat. Thanks!

I was referring to the Fidelity Full View report (as was the person I was replying to, I think) - I do wish there was a computed holdings based on my actual mutual funds. It's purely curiosity. Basically, based on your mutual funds FUSVX (123.45 shares), FSCKX (54.22 shares) ,etc, you own 9 shares of MSFT, 1 share of AAPL, etc.

Yeah, I have almost been tempted to create my own spreadsheet to really dig down and see what the equivalent holdings would be in individual stocks. Ultimately I am not sure it would be all that valuable but it would definitely be cool to think about and see presented. If I were better at programming I might try to figure out a way to actually automate it too, seems like it shouldn't be too tall of an order to accomplish.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Raldikuk posted:

Yeah, I have almost been tempted to create my own spreadsheet to really dig down and see what the equivalent holdings would be in individual stocks. Ultimately I am not sure it would be all that valuable but it would definitely be cool to think about and see presented. If I were better at programming I might try to figure out a way to actually automate it too, seems like it shouldn't be too tall of an order to accomplish.

It's simple math once you have the input data in machine readable format. If someone offers the quarterly holdings as a csv (or xlsx or json blob) I could bang it out. Probably.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i think the biggest question for me is: if you are presented with this data, what decision will you make that is different from the decision you are making now?

if the answer is "STILL LONG IN INDEX FUNDS" you just wasted a bunch of your time and if the answer is something other than "STILL LONG IN INDEX FUNDS" you are kind of a credulous dummy

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think the biggest question for me is: if you are presented with this data, what decision will you make that is different from the decision you are making now?

if the answer is "STILL LONG IN INDEX FUNDS" you just wasted a bunch of your time and if the answer is something other than "STILL LONG IN INDEX FUNDS" you are kind of a credulous dummy

Looking at something for curiosity's sake isn't a waste of time. It's not productive for society but that doesn't matter.

The former though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i personally do not agree that it's not a waste of time

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

*checks my index fund's holdings*

Those sure are some stocks. Yep, those definitely are some corporations right there

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I'm normally one to defend curiosity for curiosity's sake, but I think overanalyzing this could lead down the road of thinking, "Man, I sure am overweight in X area, I better underweight it some other way" and then you've started trying to create your own indexes for no loving reason.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm normally one to defend curiosity for curiosity's sake, but I think overanalyzing this could lead down the road of thinking, "Man, I sure am overweight in X area, I better underweight it some other way" and then you've started trying to create your own indexes for no loving reason.

yeah the whole point of total market is that... it's total market... and you set it and fuckin forget it. anything that pulls you away from that, provided that you have decided on a three fund style portfolio, is just noise and waste

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Some people will suddenly realize that 5% of their portfolio is AAPL and appropriately go "oh poo poo, 5% of my portfolio is in a single stock".

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

baquerd posted:

Some people will suddenly realize that 5% of their portfolio is AAPL and appropriately go "oh poo poo, 5% of my portfolio is in a single stock".

I don't think it functions the same way as having 5% of my portfolio be literal AAPL stock. If Microsoft completely kicked Apple's rear end and AAPL went down to zero, Microsoft would presumably have a corresponding increase and my VTSAX would have barely a ripple.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I know it's behind a paywall but the WSJ series about the Boomers entering retirement completely financially unprepared gives me such a diamond-edged erection.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I know it's behind a paywall but the WSJ series about the Boomers entering retirement completely financially unprepared gives me such a diamond-edged erection.

Surely this large group of impoverished and narcissistic voters won't do anything to save their hides at our expense!!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Surely this large group of impoverished and narcissistic voters won't do anything to save their hides at our expense!!

That would require rich boomers to vote against their own interests, and if there's one thing the rich do best,

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't think it functions the same way as having 5% of my portfolio be literal AAPL stock. If Microsoft completely kicked Apple's rear end and AAPL went down to zero, Microsoft would presumably have a corresponding increase and my VTSAX would have barely a ripple.

Owning stock through an ETF has some difference between owning it directly, but generally speaking you get the same concentration and company risk. https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/SPY/holdings/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how did boomers gently caress this up so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Did I miss a link somewhere? I need my schadenfreude fix