Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
And so the goon star tries to pull off a victory by the skin of their teeth at the last minute yet again.

I'm not only looking forward to seeing how the story develops, but perhaps hearing what might have happened at some of the closer goon losses (what if the Lyrans had pulled off the holding action on Somerset? It gnaws at me to this very day.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm eagerly awaiting next turn's gauss headcappin.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It is an agressive and smart move, if you ignore the coordinator to focus on yorinaga you get chewed up by the coordinator, that atlas and gauss without furthering the mission.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

AtomikKrab posted:

Prop and fire ptn, prop and fire. or let him try to stand it would only be an 8 on a psr.

Pretty sure he needs both arms to do that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Pretty sure he needs both arms to do that.

One arm is enough to fire torso weapons (srm-6)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it makes sense that the coordinator is coming out at this point. It's probably a lot better for morale if your supreme leader shows himself to be a badass who kills an elite clan mech or two, rather than a coward who sits in the safety behind a wall while his buildings come down and his best warriors sacrifice themselves for him.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

It also takes the pressure off the gauss mechs and yorinaga and puts it up on the clanners again. GOOD LUCK KILLING THE ATLAS YOU PITIFUL FOOOOLS.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Leperflesh posted:

I think it makes sense that the coordinator is coming out at this point. It's probably a lot better for morale if your supreme leader shows himself to be a badass who kills an elite clan mech or two, rather than a coward who sits in the safety behind a wall while his buildings come down and his best warriors sacrifice themselves for him.

Not only that, its an excellent opportunity to take pressure of Yorinaga. Goonmechs will and probably should go after him and that gives Yorinaga backshots at everyone. While the coordinator is shielded by the atlas and covered by guassmechs.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Fraction Jackson posted:

I'm out of the house at the second, so Madden will have to wait. I will say, though, I'm surprised that the Coordinator is moving up. It seems a little risky...although, there is the shielding movement problem - O1 is going to soak a lot of damage for him, so it's not a bad move, just aggressive.

Well, he's a Kurita, maybe he just wants a good duel come hell or high water.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Coordinator is piloting a heavy. All they need is one good turn of shooting from all those autocannons and ppcs they still have with the hellbringer firing its critseeker storm. They came really well prepared for taking one mech at a time with focus fire actually, goonstar just hasn't been actually doing that until this turn.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Leperflesh posted:

Sure, it makes sense fluff-wise, but when I'm not hiding behind the Madden-wall it's all playing to win. Again, it's not a bad move per se, and it sets up some options going forward, but it's quite aggressive. Especially at a point when the Goonstar is likely to lose an additional mech (possibly the Hellbie, after getting tagged by 3 Gauss last round and having the weak LT) to the remnants of the 2nd SOL + the Otomo snipers. Losing another mech before they finish off the 2nd SOL is a bad situation to be in. So, additional pressing from the Atlas and Dragon doesn't seem necessary just yet, is all I'm saying.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 24, 2012

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I love the sheer badassery and carnage of this round. :allears:

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 24, 2012

TheWolfen
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

P2 Hellbringer C
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C Thug (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 6, 6 missiles hit Center Torso (7/34 armor remains), Right Torso (14/17 structure remains (through-armor critical chance!)), Left Leg (4/17 structure remains (critical chance!)), Left Leg (2/17 structure remains (critical chance!)), Center Torso (5/34 armor remains), Left Torso (17/25 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C Thug (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, 6 missiles hit Right Torso (12/17 structure remains (critical chance!)), Left Arm (4/26 armor remains), Left Leg (0/17 structure remains (Limb blown off!)), Right Torso (10/17 structure remains (critical chance!)), Center Torso (3/34 armor remains), Center Torso (1/34 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C Thug (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, 6 missiles hit Left Torso (15/25 armor remains), Left Arm (2/26 armor remains), Right Torso (8/17 structure remains (critical chance!)), Head (7/9 armor remains (Pilot hit!), Right Leg (32/34 armor remains), Left Arm (0/26 armor remains)!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C Thug (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, 6 missiles hit Right Torso (6/17 structure remains (critical chance!)), Left Torso (13/25 armor remains), Center Torso (0/34 armor, 24/25 structure remains (critical chance!)), Right Torso (6/17 structure remains (critical chance!)), Right Leg Torso (4/17 structure remains (critical chance!)), Right Torso (2/17 structure remains (critical chance!))!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C Thug (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 11, 6 missiles hit Left Arm (11/13 structure remains (critical chance!)), Left Torso (13/25 armor remains), Right Torso (0/17 structure remains (torso destroyed!)), Left Arm (9/13 armor remains), Center Torso (22/25 structure remains (critical chance!)), Center Torso (20/25 structure remains (critical chance!))!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at C Thug (2 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, fails to achieve lock!
- Fires ER Small Laser at C Thug (2 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (15/25 structure remains (critical chance!))!
Generates 23 heat, sinks 26!

Now THIS is critseeking.

So the Kingfisher's luck runs out and provides the most spectacular kill for a long time, proving that heat can still be as much a killer as a PPC. It did plenty of damage but maybe not enough to make up for it's loss with the gauss line still to be crossed and Yorinaga still on the field.

The next turn should tell us if there's still a chance of winning this. It's been an interesting battle to watch.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Fraction Jackson posted:

I'm out of the house at the second, so Madden will have to wait. I will say, though, I'm surprised that the Coordinator is moving up. It seems a little risky...although, there is the shielding movement problem - O1 is going to soak a lot of damage for him, so it's not a bad move, just aggressive.

I think he has to keep up face? I would've thought the Coordinator would value the sacrifice of the 2nd SoL and Akira by staying put, he's only got 26 points of potential damage per round and his physicals to bring to the fight, but it is the DC and the most glorious battle of the war so far, if not for all of it.

Not even the faintest clue what S3 is doing... It's way early to block off the escape unless it's scheming something.

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 24, 2012

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
My greatest fear is that S3 is the Coordinator making a break for it in disguise.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

thatbastardken posted:

My greatest fear is that S3 is the Coordinator making a break for it in disguise.

You see? This is why we made you IlKahn.

Probably not S3, but he could be one of the Mauler Dabokus I guess. Hopefully PTN flufftext will clue you in when you pop the Grand Dragon!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now that was a death! Good on ya, Keru. It's also reassuring to see focused fire being put into action.

Take down the Samurai Honcho and get the hell outta Dodge!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
When you go to hell, take an honour guard with you. The Thug of Akira Kurita is a fitting tributary to Star Captain Nasrullah.

Now kill the Coordinator.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's unnecessary and I don't use it. Also, it tops out at an automatic ammo explosion and the only `Mech capable of producing enough heat to see that high up the table is an alpha striking Supernova with 2 engine hits and all of its heat sinks shot away.
Or any inferno ammo that gets hit.... I've seen it happen.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I like the Kurita plan. Sucker them in with Second Sword and Yorinaga, then drop the buildings and snipe with all that Gauss.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hit the woods, shoot at the Coordinator, rush the Coordinator with whatever you have left turn after next. Good luck Clanners.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Zeroisanumber posted:

Hit the woods, shoot at the Coordinator, rush the Coordinator with whatever you have left turn after next. Good luck Clanners.

For maximum hilarity have the ilkhan chase lights instead.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh god drunk me was right ; that Atlas is going to kill us all :gonk:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

Oh god drunk me was right ; that Atlas is going to kill us all :gonk:

At least you're in optimized, heavily armored PTNverse Gargoyles. You can take an atlas alpha.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Felime posted:

At least you're in optimized, heavily armored PTNverse Gargoyles. You can take an atlas alpha.

Assuming they can get there without eating too many more gauss slugs. And assuming one doesn't get the rest of its head blown off by an SRM.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm extremely suspiscious of S3 as well. It's been out of the fight the whole game, and then suddenly slips out the moment there's an opening? What self-respecting Kuritan, fighting for the life of the Coordinator, would make such a move? We've seen no incontrovertible proof that the Coordinator is in the Grand Dragon, have we?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

cwDeici posted:

I think he has to keep up face? I would've thought the Coordinator would value the sacrifice of the 2nd SoL and Akira by staying put

House Kurita's mindset is as alien as the Clans. He has to engage.

cwDeici posted:

only got 26 points of potential damage per round

This is deceptive (and incorrect), don't rely on it.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Dolash posted:

I'm extremely suspiscious of S3 as well. It's been out of the fight the whole game, and then suddenly slips out the moment there's an opening? What self-respecting Kuritan, fighting for the life of the Coordinator, would make such a move? We've seen no incontrovertible proof that the Coordinator is in the Grand Dragon, have we?

If it turns out the Coordinator is in the Jenner (probably not likely), then it's already Mission Failed for goonstar. That Jenner can run off the map next turn.

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.

Dolash posted:

Nnnggggg, now I really want you all to waste S3, just to be sure. Would be ace if Crazy McIlKahn goes off mission to do it and it turns out to be the real objective all along.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Perhaps S3 is covering the escape corridor, and is going to block them when they try to retreat. Remember, the secondary objective is to escape via one of the river hexes. If they barely kill the Coordinator and are limping away, S3 can block long enough to let the bodygaurds to catch up and finish the job.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Remember the Hellbie cannot get a good solution on the coordinator this turn. If he goes for the coordinator there will be Yorinaga, if he doesn't there will be a gauss saga.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Perhaps S3 is covering the escape corridor, and is going to block them when they try to retreat. Remember, the secondary objective is to escape via one of the river hexes. If they barely kill the Coordinator and are limping away, S3 can block long enough to let the bodygaurds to catch up and finish the job.

Exactly, the way I see it DC forces will destroy the clanners in like a few turns tops and they're just plugging the hole making sure the Ilkhan can't escape.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's unnecessary and I don't use it. Also, it tops out at an automatic ammo explosion and the only `Mech capable of producing enough heat to see that high up the table is an alpha striking Supernova with 2 engine hits and all of its heat sinks shot away.

I swear back in a game of megamek there was an optional heat scale that ended up with the mech overheating to the point where the engine did the equivalent of throwing a rod, which is hilariously what actually ended up killing it.

Then again I somehow managed to get to 70+ heat, so maybe that just happens. (Don't alpha strike a I-UK Timber Wolf boys and girls. Definitely don't do it twice in a row.)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Well, well all are gonna die some day, may as well be today. To death or glory! :black101:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Fraction Jackson posted:

It's a total fluff move, cause Coordinator Takashi Kurita is seriously a fan of Banzi attacks and the Bushido code. I know that you must cringe at the move, but even in the canon battle of luthien, he did the same thing. the difference being is that time he had a company behind him, and another merc company attacked the clan force from the rear. From a technical standpoint, yeah, that isn't the smart thing to do at all.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I dare the IlKhan to challenge the Coordinator to an honorable duel. He might just accept.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

It's a total fluff move, cause Coordinator Takashi Kurita is seriously a fan of Banzi attacks

I will also be surprised if he doesn't kill at least one person.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

:3: Coordinator will kill you all if the Atlas does not first.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

A 2 gunner with that weapon? Quite possible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wait, so that crazy sumbitch really did rig his mech with a tactical nuke?

• Locked thread