Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Now that we have a ship with a mobile arc, I want something that properly resembles a B-17, with multiple auxiliary arcs that it can pick two to fire from each turn. Which could actually result in double-arcing a ship. It would be small base, lack an EPT, lack reposition options, and have a mediocre at best dial with good health and a maximum of 2 attack dice.

Hire me FFG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So the K-Wing? It's the most WW2 bomber of the bunch!

Also I finished up my Advanced, just leaving the Phantom to retouch. :toot:

Also on the topic of painting, is there any special coat you put on after you're doing messing around with the mini to protect it? I've just been painting it and calling it done when its done.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 6, 2016

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Brunas when d'you wanna do this thing!

Sometime after 5 EST on Wednesday (or later in the week), if that's cool with you?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I was on that stream talking about my TIE pilot costume at some point on Saturday!

krushgroove posted:

Sup goons, I was lucky enough to have time to get to the UK Games Expo yesterday, and I took a bunch of video of the main hall and most of the game halls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfCj0XSEZSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gqVf_nWrPs
First few minutes of this one is the Yavin Open, so if anyone is in this and I didn't say hello, sorry, I didn't recognize anyone!
I did try to catch up with you, but couldn't find you. Nice to meet Tekopo though.

Regional/Yavin Open/Hangar Bay thoughts:
gently caress dice forever.

That is all.

(There's more; I posted brief batreps in the Oxford FB group, but, suffice it to say, I don't wanna talk about it.)

UKGE thoughts generally

I actually had a great time despite my loving 3-10 win-loss record for the weekend, which was predicated mostly on tiredness-related mistakes (like, say, forgetting that the YV has a 0-stop in one case) and on both my red and green dice repeatedly failing me despite the best possible mods in others (I had the unfortunate honour of playing a list which doesn't tolerate mistakes well on 4 to 5 hours' sleep a night, and it favoured me by loving my dice when I was playing well, and not when I was making horrible mistakes, by and large - by the numbers, several of the games I played in should have swung the other way). I had a couple of very good games, and a few of the losses were both very close and very enjoyable, but a lot of them were pretty deflating by the end, especially during the Hangar Bay when I could have been over at the cosplay contest instead.

I did enter said contest, but it's confusing as to whether I scored, as apparently the overall winner was announced as *my name* as Jareth the Goblin King, which... well, there was a Jareth, and it was a great costume, but it was not mine, so I have no idea whether I actually won or not.

Wave 9 minis are pretty nice, I'm already planning how to magnetise the Fang, and amazingly, they actually got the turret onto the TIE s/f. I doubt it will last very well, but it is there. The mobile arc also looks a lot less fiddly than I was worried it might.

And my voice is loving shot. It was so loud in there I had to shout. Solidly. For basically three straight days. Arg.

Standout was the cosplay though. I had a really great time, a bunch of people took photos with me, I met a few other costumers who were really interesting... next year, if there is a next year, I won't bother with the regional, and will do cosplay and actual con-attendance on the friday so I don't have this weird rush to try to work out how to check into my hotel mid-regional, and I probably won't bother with the sunday afternoon event either, and will just got to the cosplay contest.

I got my second hera, aurebesh bb8, and double sided epsilon/novice card, and met a bunch of nice people, but the games loving sucked the big one for the most part. I'm going to play some RAMMING SPEED Oicunn on Wednesday just to bring the fun back.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Chill la Chill posted:

Is the shadow caster model as flat as it looks? I really want to go to town on it with airbrushing and stencils.

I got lazy and did the obvious inquisitor paintjob with decals. Wanted an excuse to use 10 year old decals I guess. Not finished yet, but the cockpit's gonna be red and outlined with gold NMM. I wanted an uneven stained wood look for the decal background.

The shadow caster isn't that flat I'm afraid. I think you could still use it for stencilling though. Nice job on the Inquy!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Strobe posted:

CROSS-POOL GAME:
Langolas versus Aramoro

Hey Langolas, what kind of times are you free to get your cross-pool on?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

YV666 magnet mod that I finally got round to photographing:

8x1mm disc magnets.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Eimi posted:

So the K-Wing? It's the most WW2 bomber of the bunch!

Also I finished up my Advanced, just leaving the Phantom to retouch. :toot:

Also on the topic of painting, is there any special coat you put on after you're doing messing around with the mini to protect it? I've just been painting it and calling it done when its done.

I varnish mine when they're done since I had problems with paint rubbing off when I was handling them. Matt spray varnish is fine, if you really want to protect them then spray them with gloss varnish, then cover it in matt to take the shine off.

Gerdalti posted:

Hey ro5s, hit me up via PM (or email at myusername AT gmail). My weeks looking a little hectic actually, (EST) Monday Evening/Night, Tuesday (after 10PM) and Friday Evening/Night are about it for me. I have the Games N Stuff regionals this weekend, but chances are I won't be going to day 2, so we could do it Sunday as well.

Cool, I've sent an email, let me know if it doesn't arrive or anything.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

ro5s posted:

Cool, I've sent an email, let me know if it doesn't arrive or anything.

Replied. You being UK might actually work well this week. Do be aware that the email address my reply comes from will be different than my username here (the actual point of this post was to let you know that).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Brunas posted:

Sometime after 5 EST on Wednesday (or later in the week), if that's cool with you?

Perfect!

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Aramoro posted:

Hey Langolas, what kind of times are you free to get your cross-pool on?

Add me on steam, look for Langly in the group. Ping me there

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Ooh, the TIE/sf gets antennae.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It's going to be fun looking for pilot bases with 3 slightly different TIE fighter silhouettes.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The tie sf base numbers are smaller (as are the ARCs) as they had to be slightly redesigned to accommodate the rear arc. They should be easy to spot.

Now the fancy dial icon OTOH...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Shadowcaster is going to run into loving everything on the table. It enormously overhangs its base on the sides.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love that battered Rebel paint scheme on the 170.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
The Yavin Open was mostly fun! spaceinvader's costume was pretty great:

My first two rounds were against Palp+Aces variants (Palp/Soontir/something and Palp/OL/Wampa/Inqy), but the second one was relatively close, and my TIE Bomber was doing some serious work from round 2 onwards. In one fantastic game against a list of five Crack Shot+Adaptability A-wings, shown below in the most amazing head-on meeting I've ever had:

The Bomber dropped a Seismic Charge the next round for three hits, and did some excellent area control with the threat of its Chipped Torps, eventually resulting in an 80-44 timed win. Since I am terrible at this game, I was pretty happy with that.

The Hangar Bay tournament was actually much less fun, and I dropped out after the second round following a game against Contracted Scouts and a Trandoshan Slaver. I was seriously apathetic after that - I was not expecting people to bring The Worst List to a fun second tournament with a grand prize of 1-3 cards worth less than the ticket price, and was too exhausted to give a drat about round 3. The tournament for me definitely ended with a whimper, not a bang, which was a shame after the great first day. Definitely mixed feelings about it overall, with all the delays as well - I would really have appreciated an effort from them to let us know when we could have just headed back to the show floor rather than wait around - there was barely any time to actually see the expo with the way they did it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

Ooh, the TIE/sf gets antennae.

Not just antennae, they even managed to get the turret on the back, it's super :3: and will be GONE if the post snaps.

Chemmy posted:

The Shadowcaster is going to run into loving everything on the table. It enormously overhangs its base on the sides.
Just you wait for hot Ghost on Shadowcaster action!

WFGuy posted:

My first two rounds were against Palp+Aces variants (Palp/Soontir/something and Palp/OL/Wampa/Inqy), but the second one was relatively close, and my TIE Bomber was doing some serious work from round 2 onwards. In one fantastic game against a list of five Crack Shot+Adaptability A-wings, shown below in the most amazing head-on meeting I've ever had:

The Bomber dropped a Seismic Charge the next round for three hits, and did some excellent area control with the threat of its Chipped Torps, eventually resulting in an 80-44 timed win. Since I am terrible at this game, I was pretty happy with that.

The Hangar Bay tournament was actually much less fun, and I dropped out after the second round following a game against Contracted Scouts and a Trandoshan Slaver. I was seriously apathetic after that - I was not expecting people to bring The Worst List to a fun second tournament with a grand prize of 1-3 cards worth less than the ticket price, and was too exhausted to give a drat about round 3. The tournament for me definitely ended with a whimper, not a bang, which was a shame after the great first day. Definitely mixed feelings about it overall, with all the delays as well - I would really have appreciated an effort from them to let us know when we could have just headed back to the show floor rather than wait around - there was barely any time to actually see the expo with the way they did it.
Which of the many people I chatted with were you? I guess I met you on the first day I wore it on the basis of the lack of dings in the paint that I started noticing after that.

That was kind of my experience of the HB as well - a lot of people (myself included) were running pretty meta-y lists because one of their lists was their list from the main tourney and from Regionals, and after the weekend I'd had I just found that the option of another list was just another mistake to make and thing to kick myself for and wonder if it could have gone better with the other decision. I liked the concept, but I just felt a bit deflated already, and found overall I would have preferred to do something else.

E: I am totally cosplaying again next year, by the by. I'm gonna be Fenn Rau, I'm planning it already, it's great, they have a full concept art sheet for him online, and for his props.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Which of the many people I chatted with were you? I guess I met you on the first day I wore it on the basis of the lack of dings in the paint that I started noticing after that.

That was kind of my experience of the HB as well - a lot of people (myself included) were running pretty meta-y lists because one of their lists was their list from the main tourney and from Regionals, and after the weekend I'd had I just found that the option of another list was just another mistake to make and thing to kick myself for and wonder if it could have gone better with the other decision. I liked the concept, but I just felt a bit deflated already, and found overall I would have preferred to do something else.

E: I am totally cosplaying again next year, by the by. I'm gonna be Fenn Rau, I'm planning it already, it's great, they have a full concept art sheet for him online, and for his props.

I was the chinless guy in glasses who clumsily integrated himself into the Meeples group early on. Yeah, that picture was from the start of the tourney, before I switched the camera over to RAW so that I could fix the awful white balance later - although it's not too bad in that one.

I understand not wanting to risk three completely different lists, it's just weird to me for people to go full tryhard for the sake of an extra card or two, and it hit right at the worst possible time for me - my legs and back were aching, I had been driving for 3h45m already over two days, Saturday was basically non-stop from 6:30am to past midnight, and the organisers had been 'five more minutes' delaying it for so long that I had missed out on a lot of cool things at the expo hall.

Anyway, I think everyone can agree that next time they put 400+ nerds in a room and stress them out for three days they should really bring some air freshener. That room was ripe by Sunday.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If anyone knows a good high middle ages style picture of the Emperor and/or Vader I can use for a lambda shuttle mural, let me know. I have painting to do.

WFGuy posted:

thespaceinvader posted:

This is primarily why I never want to do a convention-based tournament. You're paying for both, but can only do one. Though, I do want to go to one in costume sometime. Depending on if I get back to fighting weight by that time again, I'll either be Jek Porkins or uhhh... muscular Jek Porkins? So Zeb? Zeb's muscular, right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

If anyone knows a good high middle ages style picture of the Emperor and/or Vader I can use for a lambda shuttle mural, let me know. I have painting to do.

This is primarily why I never want to do a convention-based tournament. You're paying for both, but can only do one. Though, I do want to go to one in costume sometime. Depending on if I get back to fighting weight by that time again, I'll either be Jek Porkins or uhhh... muscular Jek Porkins? So Zeb? Zeb's muscular, right?

Go as Han Swolo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I went on the Thursday, did the Friday as an expo tour (even though the regional was on) and only did the Yavin open. Was good enough for me.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Chill la Chill posted:

Forsooth! https://www.behance.net/gallery/Star-Wars-in-Manuscript/5491491

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Verily those are quite magnificent.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Excellent. I might do a lambda shuttle with murals like that. However, I do still want to make my anime idol Itasha style lambda so it's a 50/50 shot. though I could always make an Itasha decimator~

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
(Am I the only one who suspects FFG has been deliberately delying the release of Imperial Veterans until after the Regionals wrap up, or do other people get that impression as well?)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cobbsprite posted:

(Am I the only one who suspects FFG has been deliberately delying the release of Imperial Veterans until after the Regionals wrap up, or do other people get that impression as well?)

I suspect that that's the case, too - hopefully it'll come out right after they conclude though, so we can still get those Defender upgrades ASAP

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cobbsprite posted:

When is the regional season over? I was really hyped by that FB thing, but since that turned out fake....

Also I was thinking of a Nora build, and this is getting dangerously cheesy for a 1 agi ship but PTL, BB-8, Ezra. Guaranteed crits. 37 point cost though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm actually kind of glad that Regionals season is over for me. I'm not doing Nationals/Worlds/etc either.

Competitive X-Wing and casual X-Wing are so different. Sometimes it's just fun to plonk down three or four ships without the continuous testing and meta discussions.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Eimi posted:

When is the regional season over? I was really hyped by that FB thing, but since that turned out fake....

Out of curiosity, what was this FB thing? The only posts/images about it I've seen on FB were the reveals/teasers for the new ships, which were posted on here as well.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Out of curiosity, what was this FB thing? The only posts/images about it I've seen on FB were the reveals/teasers for the new ships, which were posted on here as well.

The link I have is expired now, but it was from a Portuguese store Facebook, showing pictures of Imperial Veterans and saying street date was May 31rst.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Eimi posted:

When is the regional season over? I was really hyped by that FB thing, but since that turned out fake...

According to the website, the regionals season runs until June 11th.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cobbsprite posted:

I dont think so. We've had waves drop mid regionals season before.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/x-wingtm-2016-regional-championship-locations/

Fargo wraps up this exciting regional season.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Played about the perfect game with the Emperor-Carnor-Soontir list I've been practicing tonight against 2 munitions Jumpies and a YV Party Bus, after racking up against JM5k/Mist Hunter and winning that a little more closely.

Set up on the right side to deny the U-boats their favored turns, they set up on the left. I didn't set up to joust but stacked that flank and we both slow played out the first couple turns. Here's the turn where it basically all swung to me, I turned the cow out with a bank and hooked in the squints with tight turns, hoping he'd take the bait and go for Palpy.

He did and I was able to bank in the squints and tear into the jumpmasters pretty much unanswered from the flank/rear while denying Deadeye with Basement Jaxx and giving him his choice of bad PWT shots. A clean sweep save for a damaged cockpit on Soontir when he used Zuckuss and 4LOM to try and juice up the one hellbus shot he had as hard as possible.

As long as you have a two-body list where you can present alternate targets to draw fire, I remain convinced that Targeting Computer is the way to go with Soontir. Being able to have confidence that my shots are going to go 4 for 4 means being able to save my Sheevery for truly clutch situations.

Kind of sad that it seems like Quickdraw and Seismic torps might pull squint aces out of the meta next cycle. I'll gather my rosebuds while the sun is shining.

I also tried out Baffles on OGP and liked it. It made the bus a lot less predictable and it felt like the 3 primary on the cow was actually contributing to the fight instead of just a bonus shot or two I got to make before the shuttle was out in the weeds wheeling around. It does put me up to 98 rather than 97, which wasn't relevant here but feels like a big change in bid.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baffles are seriously the best thing to happen to the shuttle since Palp. Means the ship can actually contribute, which is huge.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Baffles are seriously the best thing to happen to the shuttle since Palp. Means the ship can actually contribute, which is huge.

Not to mention allowing them to pin a Fat Han down in one corner of the table, with his only options being to either bump/not move and allow the shuttles to continue beating him up for his lunch money, or to bank/turn off the edge of the table :negative:
(haha that was a highly interesting and surprising game the other day to say the least, CU - you still using those cows in the league? :D)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

WFGuy posted:

I was the chinless guy in glasses who clumsily integrated himself into the Meeples group early on. Yeah, that picture was from the start of the tourney, before I switched the camera over to RAW so that I could fix the awful white balance later - although it's not too bad in that one.

I understand not wanting to risk three completely different lists, it's just weird to me for people to go full tryhard for the sake of an extra card or two, and it hit right at the worst possible time for me - my legs and back were aching, I had been driving for 3h45m already over two days, Saturday was basically non-stop from 6:30am to past midnight, and the organisers had been 'five more minutes' delaying it for so long that I had missed out on a lot of cool things at the expo hall.

Anyway, I think everyone can agree that next time they put 400+ nerds in a room and stress them out for three days they should really bring some air freshener. That room was ripe by Sunday.

Thought that might have been you.

Can't say I noticed the room being particularly bad - the con hall was a lot warmer and less pleasant IMO - but I've come down with a con cold and am off work today :(

(Not that being off work is bad but I feel grotty as poo poo so)

Chill la Chill posted:

I feel like I could have got the best out of the con in a day, though. I mean, there's always more games you can play and whatnot, but I didn't feel like I'd've got MUCH more out of going around for another day as opposed to another few hours on the Sunday - except the cosplay masquerade which I would have liked to do, and the contest itself.

FWIW I'm already planning Fenn Rau for next year's costume, and will probably bring the TIE pilot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

WFGuy posted:

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh man, you WERE the guy with the TIE fighter helmet on the table! I saw you on Saturday playing in the Yavin Open and you must be in the video as well (probably got a sweet panning shot of the back of your thighs or something) but wasn't sure, I was expecting you in full costume.

• Locked thread