Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I remember Tim Bradstreet did art for Vampire at one point. I liked his stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

citybeatnik posted:

To be fair the only art i really find acceptable for oWoD is Guy Davis art so anything that deviates from that is unacceptable.

That's a really weird way to spell Ron Spencer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
No, you mean Leif Jones.

Although he's honestly more iconic for Trinity.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, man. I kind of want an updated CbN.

Kurieg posted:

That's a really weird way to spell Ron Spencer.

I do unironically love Spencer, with one of his quirks being he's unable to draw anybody who doesn't spend forty hours a weak in the gym.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I am absolutely not a fan of leif jones

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I look forward to OPP introducing, like, a sympathetic minority character that becomes popular enough that WW wants to do something with them, and then they throw them into a box full of rear end-smears.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I do unironically love Spencer, with one of his quirks being he's unable to draw anybody who doesn't spend forty hours a weak in the gym.

Well, if it helps to qualify my statement. I love him for his work on Werewolf specifically. He seemed to be the only artist who figured out what Crinos form was supposed to look like.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I hope Ken Hite demanded this happening as part of his contract for designing the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Guy Davis and Tim Bradstreet are the most defining Vampire: The Masquerade artists for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Well, if it helps to qualify my statement. I love him for his work on Werewolf specifically. He seemed to be the only artist who figured out what Crinos form was supposed to look like.

Oh, no doubt. And honestly I thought his style worked for regular people - he even draws them kind of feral-looking.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked the artist who did all the Forsaken covers, although he suffered a bit from same-face syndrome. He's become synonymous with Forsaken for me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked the artist who did all the Forsaken covers, although he suffered a bit from same-face syndrome. He's become synonymous with Forsaken for me.

that's probably Abrar Ajmal, but he's only the cover artist on like a third of my collection of Forsaken books.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

I Am Just a Box posted:

Incidentally, am I alone in thinking the aesthetic for V5 is loving hideous? Oversaturated colors, text on top of illustrations and photos, intentional digital artifacting and blocky glitches for style, lack of clear borders where everything dissolves into each other (which the Exalted 3e design also seems to suffer from). It looks almost as garish as the content reads, except at least the illustrations refrain from full rear end-rape stiffness.

Honestly, it just looks to me more generic and trying too hard than anything.

Like, I"m not going to defend or even get all nostalgic for the old art, there's a reason places (including this one) have articles making fun of some of it. But at least it was mostly a consistent theme that had a brand different from the other books on the RPG shelf. This just looks kinda like any other lower quality layout you might see from a middle of the pack self-published RPG these days. Someone who contracted art, but then tried to puzzle out putting it all together on the page themselves.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Desiden posted:

Someone who contracted art, but then tried to puzzle out putting it all together on the page themselves.

Well yeah, it's a mixture of 90s pencil artwork, video game digital concept art, Swedracula's friend's crayon drawings, and a high-end fashion designer's low-end budget photo shoots, all ordered by at least 5 different art directors over 27 years. Then they gave it to someone for layout expecting "magic!"

There's some real baller pieces in here, but the book lacks a cohesive style like you find in Vampire 2nd edition or Revised.

EDIT: Beast has better art direction than V5. THERE I SAID IT.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

Guy Davis and Tim Bradstreet are the most defining Vampire: The Masquerade artists for me.

Bradstreet is my iconic vampire artist. poo poo, I even had some of the t-shirts!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Soonmot posted:

Bradstreet is my iconic vampire artist. poo poo, I even had some of the t-shirts!

He basically defined first edition's look.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Lost_Heretic posted:

EDIT: Beast has better art direction than V5. THERE I SAID IT.

Art is the one thing about Beast that's actually pretty competantly done and inoffensive, though.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Kurieg posted:

Ron Spencer was instrumental in how my love for Werewolf developed. I was 12 when I first discovered WoD via the Rage CCG and let me tell you, 12 year old boys love Ron Spencer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kurieg posted:

that's probably Abrar Ajmal, but he's only the cover artist on like a third of my collection of Forsaken books.

Yeah, that's the guy.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of people hitting refresh on the WoD site so they can enter the preorder code and get their copy of the PDF/

Or at least, I hope that I'm not the only one.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Guy Davis is so goddamn good that when he took over the art on B.P.R.D. from Mike Mignola and I was like "not bad, actually."

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Same. His Lambach is one of my favorites

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
OPP's booth at gencon had this:

A shame all their nicely printed stuff is $150, and limited version of mage20 for $250.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I like the artist who does all the blue and black art. Also Ron Spencer probably has the most consistently good werewolves, but the best has to be that image from the first Forsaken book intro. That thing looks savage and powerfully built. It's perfect.

Kurieg posted:

I have a soft spot for the werewolf with the stop sign in the McWoD book.
That poo poo is rad as hell.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 3, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
My sister asked me about Changeling the Dreaming 20th and while I really want to try to steer her towards CtL I'm actually kinda curious as to how that book turned out.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Guys! Guys! Guys!

If the first ghost buried in a graveyard becomes a Geist, what does that mean for Gene Roddenberry?!

Edit: oh poo poo, what about Eugene Shoemaker, first man buried on the moon?!

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 3, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ironslave posted:

Guys! Guys! Guys!

If the first ghost buried in a graveyard becomes a Geist, what does that mean for Gene Roddenberry?!

Waves and waves of plasm

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ironslave posted:

He's hosed, the moon is Idigam country.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

He's not the first.

The tomb of the Angel of Death is there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Now that I'm no longer phone posting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mors Rattus posted:

He's not the first.

The tomb of the Angel of Death is there.

I'm not sure whatever's buried in the Tomb of the Butterfly is the kind of thing that leaves ghosts, though. The most likely candidates for what it was are, like, either some kind of hosed up void Spirit from outside Luna's barricade (already ephemeral), a proto-Angel (also already ephemeral), an Idigam that didn't survive its banishment, or the whole thing is just an elaborate piece of containment infrastructure.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I dunno, it'd be an interesting take to say it is, in fact, a buried God-Machine cultist, to take advantage of the whole graveyard dog thing and end up with a superghost to better serve the Machine's needs.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I can't recall seeing it in the manuscript, and it's more about general ghosts than geists, but you're really hosed by burial at sea, aren't you? I'd assume that's straight to the underworld or worse

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Ugh, it feels wrong to ask this, but I couldn't help it springing into my head with that observation. What with being a Titanic buff from childhood pre-movie onward.

Is the Titanic the largest oceanic graveyard in existence?

For that matter, would any sunken ship with multiple hands lost on board count as a graveyard? Particularly lost subs, one would think...

edit: Crap. Would the Blue Hole? Would popular but deadly caving (diving or otherwise) sites? Would Everest, or other notoriously deadly mountains?

Aoi fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 3, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Presumably there will be ghost ships in the setting

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hm. Can my krewe claim the Flying Dutchman as a Haunt?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Ugh, it feels wrong to ask this, but I couldn't help it springing into my head with that observation. What with being a Titanic buff from childhood pre-movie onward.

Is the Titanic the largest oceanic graveyard in existence?

For that matter, would any sunken ship with multiple hands lost on board count as a graveyard? Particularly lost subs, one would think...

edit: Crap. Would the Blue Hole? Would popular but deadly caving (diving or otherwise) sites? Would Everest, or other notoriously deadly mountains?
I'm picturing the graveyard-keeper geist of the Titanic as something that remembers just enough of its life to let the first Reaper to come along eat every single rich person's ghost on its first pass.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been reading C:tL 2E and while I like it, I really wish there was a conversion guide for the Kiths they didn't cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I'm trying to remember if there was an Embed or Exploit in early versions of Demon that allowed an object to be switched from one thing into another, or tied them together in such a way that one could become the other? It wasn't Cuckoo's Egg because it allowed both objects to be used.