Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thresh is the most played support because people who do not support look at him as the one support to play if you don't know jack poo poo, which is almost as wrong as you can possibly be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

thresh is the most played support because people who do not support look at him as the one support to play if you don't know jack poo poo, which is almost as wrong as you can possibly be

I'd argue he's also the flashiest support out there in terms of the kind of tricks you can do with Death Sentence and Lantern, which draws people towards playing him. There's probably dozens upon dozens of sick Thresh montages out there, but you can probably count the number of sick Lulu montages on a blind butcher's hand.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Ehhh, I think he's the most played because he's the one that can make plays in the most ways, most obviously, and flashiest. When the average player thinks about incredible support plays it's probably Madlife on Blitz/Thresh or some crazy BunnyFuFu clip. When a Thresh outplays you, you know it. It's the same appeal as Lee, Riven, Vayne, Zed, etc. Thresh is the most YouTube-able support.

I've played an outrageous amount of support this season and even I gotta admit that Thresh is by far the most fun support.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So, how are AP in every lane teams doing now that locket is lovely?

I don't know about Summoner's Rift, but in ARAM you can really feel the lack of locket againest heavy or all AP poke comps that a team lucks into. I also really miss the health from it, it really feels more like a third item after you build something with health second on a tanky support.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I also suspect that Thresh is the most aesthetically appealing support out there for League's core demographic. "Floating wind lady" likely doesn't strike a chord with 15-24 year old men as much as "sick skeleton man with nasty hook who cackles a lot."

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Alistar can make bigger plays than Thresh and you don't have to be good at hitting skill shots, and prior to his changes you didn't even have to be careful about you went in because your ult made you unbelievably buff.

I love the Riven and Vayne comparisons because imagine if someone was like, "Oh I don't know how to top lane, that's why I play Riven"

edit: "I don't know how to play my champ" yes good joke, but I mean as their entire top lane champion pool :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

Alistar can make bigger plays than Thresh and you don't have to be good at hitting skill shots, and prior to his changes you didn't even have to be careful about you went in because your ult made you unbelievably buff.

I mean, sure, but they're not flashy. Any simpleton can W and then hold Q on a vulnerable target, but it takes considerable skill to land Death Sentence, and even more to use Lantern intelligently (rather than as a get-out-of-jail-free card). That's why people gravitate towards Thresh so much: because they want to do stylish high-skill plays with him.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

I love the Riven and Vayne comparisons because imagine if someone was like, "Oh I don't know how to top lane, that's why I play Riven"

edit: "I don't know how to play my champ" yes good joke, but I mean as their entire top lane champion pool :v:

top is my secondary and I play malphite and pre-nerfed lulu lol.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vermain posted:

I mean, sure, but they're not flashy. Any simpleton can W and then hold Q on a vulnerable target, but it takes considerable skill to land Death Sentence, and even more to use Lantern intelligently (rather than as a get-out-of-jail-free card). That's why people gravitate towards Thresh so much: because they want to do stylish high-skill plays with him.

Sorry, but the "I can only play Thresh" supports are probably my least favorite people to lane with, as they typically have no idea where they should be, when we can fight, and almost always miss the canon minion.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I studiously avoid this problem by only playing support, as God intended. :colbert:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mystery Prize posted:

Amumu actually got a huge powerspike with it too, not to mention his early game clear is way better now. Raptors > Wolves > Blue > Gromp loving owns, and he doesn't really need a leash that way.

Edit: also interesting to note is that for some reason starting Raptors at level 1 gives you more experience than starting at another camp; you get to like a third of the way to level 2 off of it.

The reason is that all of the monsters in the camp are level 2 so you get the 30 bonus XP on every one you kill before you hit level 2.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

People that play league think they're loving amazing at League. If Alistar had exactly the same kit but his W was a skillshot he'd be more popular because ~high skill~

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

Sorry, but the "I can only play Thresh" supports are probably my least favorite people to lane with, as they typically have no idea where they should be, when we can fight, and almost always miss the canon minion.

tbh I think supp is the one lane where this is almost forgivable. Supps who just pick janna/sora/etc and just spend the whole game standing behind their adc are basically bizarro version of win or feed all in tops.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

People that play league think they're loving amazing at League. If Alistar had exactly the same kit but his W was a skillshot he'd be more popular because ~high skill~

To be fair, people like having a gradual sense of mastery when they play a game. Even if, like me, you readily acknowledge that you're pretty garbage compared to vast swathes of the playerbase, it's still fun to play something that's challenging and gradually learn the ins-and-outs so that you can occasionally pull off those high-skill plays. Despite Sona continuing to be obscenely strong at every stage of the game, I just can't stand to play her because of how it never feels like I'm doing anything other than hitting all of my buttons at high speed.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Maybe more people would play supports if they bothered releasing new ones. Last support released was Tahm Kench in 2015.

NEED MORE MIDS.
NEED MORE MIDS.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Vermain posted:

I'd argue he's also the flashiest support out there in terms of the kind of tricks you can do with Death Sentence and Lantern, which draws people towards playing him. There's probably dozens upon dozens of sick Thresh montages out there, but you can probably count the number of sick Lulu montages on a blind butcher's hand.

Pretty much all of his skills are Big Plays skills, which make him super appealing to people who dont like to passively support people.

On top of the two you listed, Flay is absolutely amazing for breaking dashes (ala Singed vs. Lee Sin), which is incredibly satisfying and very noticable.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mistaya posted:

Maybe more people would play supports if they bothered releasing new ones. Last support released was Tahm Kench in 2015.

NEED MORE MIDS.
NEED MORE MIDS.

They keep giving all of the potentially cool support abilities (a short-ranged team teleport? a massive wall that can be used to block off the enemy? a projectile-blocking barrier?) to loving midlaners and it really cheeses me off!! gently caress!!!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
They reworked a support to have a teamwide 2.5 second invulnerability and still no one plays him. It's not gonna be solved just with new supports unless they're as fun as Thresh.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
taric is hard to play. :(

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
His ult has a 160s cooldown which translates to a 480 second cooldown between useful ones

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

For me, he really doesn't feel that great to play. Like, he's perfectly acceptable as a support, but the fantasy of "man who swings his hammer while supporting his team" never really materializes, except at the very earliest stages of the game. By the time midgame rolls around, waddling into melee range to proc your passive with no additional mobility is futile at best and suicide at worst.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

He's not (only) hard to play, he's boring. Which is the definitive death of a support character, even for people who like support. As long as you feel like you've got to focus and invest some small amount of skill, support can be fun, even if you do end up as ward/cc bitch. Supports like Taric, Sona, sorta kinda Janna, Soraka, don't have anything mechanically going for them, and that's just double unfun.

Which is why I'm advocating Lissandra support as season 7s hot new gimmick.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Orv posted:

Which is why I'm advocating Lissandra support as season 7s hot new gimmick.

I've thought about it before as well, and it'd probably work alright if all of her poo poo didn't cost fifty billion mana a cast.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah, there's gotta be some way around that other than "only engage every 18 seconds" but I have to find time to use this free Lissandra somewhere.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Old taric was actually more fun to play because he was an insanely brutal bully the second you got any kind of advantage at all.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Work Friend Keven posted:

Old taric was actually more fun to play because he was an insanely brutal bully the second you got any kind of advantage at all.

You could also jungle him and be useful

Terrible at clearing with any measure of speed though

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Honestly I liked old taric a lot for the opposite reason, he wasn't flashy but he had consistent options available that were always at least decent if you used them right. Imo their trend of making x better but with counterplay wasn't always a good decision, particularly when you factor in how varied their own concept of counterplay is. It's okay for champs to be designed around winning in x situation so long as you provide the opportunity to make plans that avoid it. Mobility creep wouldn't be such an obvious issue in the game if they just left in poo poo like the old dazzle.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

He was also more flexible for wacky builds

RIP gunblade rageblade spirit visage Taric from when his ult was a heal aura that lasted until you were drained of mana, too beautiful for this world

Orv
May 4, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

Honestly I liked old taric a lot for the opposite reason, he wasn't flashy but he had consistent options available that were always at least decent if you used them right. Imo their trend of making x better but with counterplay wasn't always a good decision, particularly when you factor in how varied their own concept of counterplay is. It's okay for champs to be designed around winning in x situation so long as you provide the opportunity to make plans that avoid it. Mobility creep wouldn't be such an obvious issue in the game if they just left in poo poo like the old dazzle.

He was a lot like Alistar. He wasn't Thresh, he wasn't Zyra, but when you made plays you could practically feel the enemy lane freaking out in voice.

Honestly I need to find more weird fighter support options that let you just chunk people around in lane. Or play Nautilus again, drat the meta.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

So I tried Rengar.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Orv posted:

He was a lot like Alistar. He wasn't Thresh, he wasn't Zyra, but when you made plays you could practically feel the enemy lane freaking out in voice.

Honestly I need to find more weird fighter support options that let you just chunk people around in lane. Or play Nautilus again, drat the meta.

Ali is a good example of what I mean, there's p much no counterplay over his initiation other than staying out of range of it (or at least knowing when it can happen for reaction flash) when he has the opportunity and that's a-okay in my book. There's no need to turn headbutt into yet another skillshot minigame it's fine as is.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Though if you wanted to turn Headbutt into a skill shot that also Sion'd creeps away for a slow against your champion target, I wouldn't complain. :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Methanar posted:

So I tried Rengar.

That seems a bit more snowbally then his older bonus of getting some added utility to his passive and ult.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tahm Kench top is secret OP

Sunfire, ZzRot and Spirit Visage. Shits on all the new assassins, Darius and Nasus, get it while it's hot boys

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is Darius still really good?

Yeah. Darius and Riven are both solid choices and they've always been as far as I've played.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Tip if you go ivern, if you take mobility boots, don't go cinderhulk it will put you in combat with the jungle despite being your friends.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
Well, looks like riot is trying to fix flex queue.

http://boards.euw.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/announcements-en/Pob3UmE4-flex-queue-fix-and-replacements-information

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Ivern on TT is way better than I gave him credit for. Insta smite enemy wolves for a quick level 2, then just go annoy the enemy jungler while he does wraiths. They have to deal with you getting them low and wraiths only attacking them, so you can usually get them low enough to back before going back to your own jungle and setting up. smite stealing full camps is really strong when junglers already have a hard time keeping up. By the time I hit 6 the enemy rengar was 3 with 7 CS

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
sure is cool losing because i randomly spike to 1000 ping for no reason 35 minutes into the game during the fight over elder dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
gross gore has gone full xj9 l0l

• Locked thread