Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BigglesSWE posted:

Denmark has icky water? I learn something fun every day.
It's mostly the area around Copenhagen, which shares its hardness with Scania. Jutland is sitting at Stockholm levels of hardness, and thus has softer water than the vast majority of Europe. And hell, Copenhagen only looks bad compared to the rest of Scandinavia, compared to the most populated parts of Europe it's actually quite soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's mostly the area around Copenhagen, which shares its hardness with Scania. Jutland is sitting at Stockholm levels of hardness, and thus has softer water than the vast majority of Europe. And hell, Copenhagen only looks bad compared to the rest of Scandinavia, compared to the most populated parts of Europe it's actually quite soft.

The hardness of Copenhagen water was a problem when my cat Suzie developed hyperthyroidism - you can manage it long-term by eliminating iodine from their diet, so get Hills y/d cat food, no problem. Except the drinking water here has *tons* of iodine so we had to resort to buying demineralized water as well for her.

Skagen has the worst, it's half the iodine concentration of seawater.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't know how it's going, but Hofor is actually working on removing calcium at the source for most of Copenhagen. It's a pretty good plan.

And I thought we agreed that Denmark is at least 50% pigshit? That's ammonium, baby!

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

BonHair posted:

I don't know how it's going, but Hofor is actually working on removing calcium at the source for most of Copenhagen. It's a pretty good plan.

They are, but the projected plan for where I am (Vesterbro) is this year results in a decrease in the lower hardness boundary. The upper limit isn't set to drop much until 2027

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Used to live in one of the regions in sweden with the softest water, pretty great. My town even won SM i Kranvatten one year haha (Tap water national championship, yeah that was a thing). Dont quite know how hardness affects taste though, its not something i notice that much, at least not within Sweden going from a region with soft to harder water.. Like the aforemention town, moved to stockholm county with higher hardness, friends miss the water from the old county but kinda tastes the same to me. only time its been noticeble for me was the drinking water in some town in Ireland, or the tap water in countries like Portugal (that tastes more chlorine).

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 18, 2024

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The water from your childhood's faucet is always the best.

Which means that mine's clearly superior to your limestone cowboy swill.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

It tastes like pool water.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Why else would anyone order 1000 liters milk.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Flaming June posted:

And goddamn do you have hard water here in the city

Welcome to flavor country

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I get to visit Helsinki this year for work, I'm excited! Guy at our travel bureau muttered something about passage on the dark waters of Tuonela. IDK I'm not a boat guy but I'm sure it's gonna rock!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It tastes like pool water.
Denmark has the lowest levels of THM in the EU, the compounds that cause that distinct pool smell/taste. Like, a study of drinking water from 2005-2018 puts us at 10% of nr. 2, with Swedish levels being a full 500 times higher. (Which seems pretty middle of the road for Europe).

Were you perhaps a bit confused, and you were actually in the Danelaw? Now there's a place with pool water.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Some countries also add fluoride to drinking water (i know Sweden doesnt), dont know how it tastes though or if it is even detectable by taste in the low concentrations present

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

Kildevæld, which I'm sure will be familiar to any Dane and most tourists, is bottled in Saltum from the well that taps into the same aquifer as where my local waterworks gets its water - so it's highly dependent on where you live.
It also tastes markedly different than even water from Aalborg, which is less than 30km from here - so much so, that people will remark on it even without being told about Kildevæld coming from here.

Best water I've ever tasted is from a natural spring near Hobro harbor.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Falukorv posted:

Some countries also add fluoride to drinking water (i know Sweden doesnt), dont know how it tastes though or if it is even detectable by taste in the low concentrations present

Most countries have done it, including Sweden. Scandinavian countries usually have very little of it in municipal water sources. We keep it to below 1.5 mg/l as per WHO guidelines, but in cases where it was added it was to an even lower level of 0.7 mg/l.

We do still add Chlorine, which had a distinctive taste, but it's rarely detectable here.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 19, 2024

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

I get to visit Helsinki this year for work, I'm excited! Guy at our travel bureau muttered something about passage on the dark waters of Tuonela. IDK I'm not a boat guy but I'm sure it's gonna rock!

Looks more metal than rock IMO

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Kildevæld, which I'm sure will be familiar to any Dane and most tourists, is bottled in Saltum from the well that taps into the same aquifer as where my local waterworks gets its water - so it's highly dependent on where you live.
It also tastes markedly different than even water from Aalborg, which is less than 30km from here - so much so, that people will remark on it even without being told about Kildevæld coming from here.

Best water I've ever tasted is from a natural spring near Hobro harbor.
Yeah, the taste of water is highly location dependent, and not just a per-country thing. At least if you don't add additives. Like, I'm pretty sure British water should taste markedly different depending on the location, but since it's 50% THMs by volume, you can't really detect the base flavors.

thotsky posted:

Most countries have done it, including Sweden. Scandinavian countries usually have very little of it in municipal water sources. We keep it to below 1.5 mg/l as per WHO guidelines, but in cases where it was added it was to an even lower level of 0.7 mg/l.

We do still add Chlorine, which had a distinctive taste, but it's rarely detectable here.
Sounds like something someone used to drinking THMs would say.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
When I grew up, the water was sourced from a lake with rock bottom, and where I live now the water is sourced from a lake with mud bottom. The former taste a lot better than the latter

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I mentioned once in a thread that the main source of water at my cabin is a well and everyone lost their minds.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Alhazred posted:

I mentioned once in a thread that the main source of water at my cabin is a well and everyone lost their minds.

I don't have a cabin in my family, but I've rented a few cabins where we had to bring the water from the lake, so having a well seems like luxury

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Alhazred posted:

A well, actually?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Rappaport posted:

Looks more metal than rock IMO

Ahhh that’s a good one. I forget if there’s a Finnish name for him but inside they essentially meet Death and it’s pretty funny.

I’ve met Don Rosa and a few of my comic books have his autograph and doodles.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Don Rosa's stuff really is fantastic. It's too bad Disney treats their artists so poorly

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Esran posted:

Don Rosa's stuff really is fantastic. It's too bad Disney treats their artists so poorly
Tale as old as time

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Eat poo poo, Confino. :lmao:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://fjernleje.filmstriben.dk/film/9000005133/life-and-times-of-don-rosa

If you're in Denmark, you can watch "Life and times of Don Rosa" for free at Filmstriben. He talks about how Danish Egmont is the only Donald Duck publisher who didn't screw him over.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/stopp-for-inhyrd-vardpersonal-i-atta-regioner-flera-varnar-for-att-patienter-kan-drabbas

I feel like im taking crazy pills here, did SVT get hijacked by Svenskt Näringsliv when I wasnt looking or something?

Stopp för inhyrda läkare och sjuksköterskor. Så ska åtta regioner spara pengar. Men nu varnar vårdpersonal för konsekvenserna.
”Vi drabbas hårt, men de sjuka drabbas hårdast.”
Samtliga regioner ska minska ner på vårdens beroende av hyrpersonal. Åtta regioner har till och med satt olika sorters hyrstopp – både av läkare och hyrsjuksköterskor. Det visar SVT Nyheters genomgång.

Bakgrunden är att många regioner har röda siffror och måste spara pengar.

Men att dra ner på inhyrda utan att ha någon att sätta in i stället kan bli farligt för patienterna, varnar nu både vårdpersonal och fack.

– Jag ser en större risk för vårdskador och att patienter får vänta ännu längre på sina operationer, säger Vårdförbundets ordförande Sineva Ribeiro.”

Why the hell is vårdförbundet defending this lovely practice that costs a fortune every loving year?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Let me counter your question with enshittification på svenska (enligt dagensarena.se so lol) är:

quote:

På svenska har ekonomihistorikern Rasmus Fleischer föreslagit de tyvärr lika otympliga begreppen ”skitifiering” och ”förskitligande”, medan Jacob Lundberg på Gigwatch försökt med den mer moderna men mindre intuitiva översättningen ”sugifiering”.

Pick your translation

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bajsificering

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Bæsjifisering

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Mögifiering

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Danskifisering
:thurman:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
We could just stick with privatisering, cuz it’s the same thing… Maximize value extraction for the shareholders at the expense of everyone else

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/pblest/status/1760839614774796562

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anders posted:

Danskifisering
:thurman:

Enswedification

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Pedo solidarity

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/politik/2024-02-23-tidligere-s-minister-forsvarer-fonseca

It's incredible how many of these idiots think it is wrong and unheard of to lose a position of authority without being convicted in a court of law.

Pretty sure my boss can fire me without proving a crime.

Also just the biggest brain

quote:

Den officielle årsag til Moderaternes eksklusion var, at Mike Fonsecas forhold forbrød sig mod Moderaternes adfærdskodeks, der tilsiger, at man ikke må have seksuelle relationer med folk under 18 år.

Det havde Mike Fonseca forstået som gældende internt i partiet og ikke i hans private liv.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Diddling kids is okay as long as you do it outside office hours.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does that interpretation also go for other stuff? I didn't embezzle party funds, no harm no foul right? The guy I beat up outside the bar was a Bröndby supporter, not a party member, surely that doesn't count?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

BonHair posted:

Does that interpretation also go for other stuff? I didn't embezzle party funds, no harm no foul right? The guy I beat up outside the bar was a Bröndby supporter, not a party member, surely that doesn't count?

Of course it counts! It's Vålerenga fans that can be beaten without impunity

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

NFX posted:

Enswedification

Kamelåsation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Anders posted:

Of course it counts! It's Vålerenga fans that can be beaten without impunity