Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Deified Data posted:

I just made an Instagram for my Warhams and other misc painting projects @deified_data if there's a scene for that sort of thing. I wouldn't know, I've never used it before. Follow me if you want and I will do the same.

The_Khornehusker_state is me, followed you! Digging the rhino

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I painted my first ever Warhammer. It wasn't as easy as the guy in the videos makes it look

Great first model, genuinely well done.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Blood and Skulls Industry makes amazing Leman Russ parts

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Enentol posted:

For a first model, that's looking great. Just need to get a nice base (I think desert would look great) and you're off to an awesome start!

Keep it up!

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Great first model, genuinely well done.

Thanks, I just have ten more Genestealers, twenty Termagants, a Broodlord, and a Trygon Prime to do. Shouldn't take too long, right?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Thanks, I just have ten more Genestealers, twenty Termagants, a Broodlord, and a Trygon Prime to do. Shouldn't take too long, right?

Get comfortable, take breaks, and go with the flow. There's no need to do any one project all at once, unless that's the mode you're in. That's a super crisp first model, looking forward to seeing the rest!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do the genestealers, then the trygon, then 10 termagants, then the broodlord, then the other 10 termagants.

Don't get stuck in the Termagant Painting Swamp.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Would anyone have a problem with my sized up Strike Squad/Interceptor boys?

Primaris Reiver body/GK Terminator for scale.

I unfortunately can’t stand painting normal height Marines now.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I painted 25 Termagants today, mostly finished with them. All I can say is thankfully I chose a dark color scheme that makes it easy to hide mistakes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That Warhammer TV guide for the GUO is pretty solid. Thanks for posting it.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is that all?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
love you

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Show us all that yellow up close you coward!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Here's what I've been painting over the Christmas break:

Only had one game so far with it but I definitely enjoyed blowing up guard units with ~5 mortal wounds a turn followed by markerlight, ion rifles and missiles. Plus the bombing is unaffected by wound profiles - if you can fly over them, you get the same 0.5 wounds per model as always.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That is a really nice plane.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Indeed.

Tempted with one of those but Im trying to hold off buying anymore for my Tau until codex drops. I’m also trying to avoid adding to my World Eaters but that’s not going very successfully either.

Hey Corrode was that you playing Alex the Catachan player at BIG last night? It was only after I left the shop that I realised that it might have been you. You were picking something up off of Jim and were talking about heavy bolters and big bits boxes?

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 13, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yes that was me haha. I had a good game with Alex, nice lad. That was you leaving just as we started?

E: total sidebar but this is a very slick Redemptor conversion https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd4z6gyHGdp/

Living Image fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 13, 2018

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I painted my first ever Warhammer. It wasn't as easy as the guy in the videos makes it look

This is great, looking forward to seeing the whole group.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

Yes that was me haha. I had a good game with Alex, nice lad. That was you leaving just as we started?

E: total sidebar but this is a very slick Redemptor conversion https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd4z6gyHGdp/

Yeah he's a good lad. I played my first ever game with my World Eaters against him and it was his first 40k game since like 3rd edition. Yeah I was just leaving in the blue hoody as you were going upstairs

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Who had the kitbashed Calgar made from the Gravis captain again? I need to see it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

Yeah he's a good lad. I played my first ever game with my World Eaters against him and it was his first 40k game since like 3rd edition. Yeah I was just leaving in the blue hoody as you were going upstairs

Yeah he mentioned he was relatively new back. His army is great, he's added some bits but all those old 2nd ed Catachans are really nice models. Cool, at least we know who each other are now! I know I keep saying it and not following through but we will get that game in.

The game yesterday was pretty funny - we played the "Race to Victory" Maelstrom mission from CA. We both had a ton of firepower and the game ended with very little left on the table, but it was probably my lowest scoring Maelstrom game ever - finished like 7-4 in the end. We both got rubbish cards throughout, so despite blowing up tons of stuff no-one was picking up points anywhere. I got very lucky that after idiotically leaving my warlord exposed on an objective, his Valkyrie completely fluffed trying to kill him.

I took some pictures too. Please ignore my shameful unpainted Basilisks and the Taurox Prime assembled on the day:

https://imgur.com/a/E099s

Lascannon looming over the field

There used to be a Hellhound in the middle of those Scions

Taurox bumper cars were essential to victory

Rano Pano
Jan 17, 2004

Flavivirus posted:

Here's what I've been painting over the Christmas break:

Only had one game so far with it but I definitely enjoyed blowing up guard units with ~5 mortal wounds a turn followed by markerlight, ion rifles and missiles. Plus the bombing is unaffected by wound profiles - if you can fly over them, you get the same 0.5 wounds per model as always.

Sup Christmas break Sun Shark buddy

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Sup, tau bros!

dexefiend posted:

Thanks man! My first attempt doesn't look as good as yours, but it worked!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I've never liked the Tau aesthetic but we've had some really nicely painted Tau today.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

So I'm about to pull the trigger on some DI primaris marines on ebay, but before I do, I wanted to double check if I'm making a sound decision. I think I want to play a shooty army, with some dudes to tie up anyone who comes to punch my shootmans.
Aesthetically, while I like the look of the primaris, my favorite guys are the admech, but I understand that their book is a bit underwhelming, and they are missing a lot of toys to be a "complete" army. My favorite choice from a lore perspective is genestealers, but I think they have the same problem. Next, I was going to go for IG, because they play nice with all of those, but they aren't a good "starter" army, and there's no cheapish way to get an IG army built up.
I've considered tau, but I'm nervous about getting a xenos army that only plays with itself, because the meta seems to swing everytime a new book is released, and I don't want to spend a considerable amount of money on something that will suck in a couple months or something, so I'm leaning towards Imperium, because it seems easier to keep at least some units relevant with the imperial soup thing.
So, my questions are:
Am I right about all this?
Is this the best way to start?
How many points will the DI primaris be?
Do the primaris fill the shooty mans role I want to play?
Is there a better army for this?
If not, what codex should I use?
What else should I get?

Thanks hamgoons.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
If you want a shooty army with some Genestealers, literally a Genestealer Cult tank-heavy army and a Tyranid Genestealer list is all you want/need. Granted, it’s a TON of models (read: work), but it’s fluffy and fun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the thought I had when I decided to start with Tyranids was that in the long run I could use the Genestealers in a Genestealer Cult army, and then use the Imperial Guard stuff from the GSC army in an IG army

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
My dice rollin' mat came today! From Lithuania! From http://www.deepcutstudio.com/

It is mousepad material with plastic snaps that seem fairly decent quality, but I'll prolly just use this for rollin dice on my resin terrain at home, so ymmv as to it's ability to stand up to repeated snaps.

It is admittedly smaller than I expected, but the walls are tall enough to prevent dice spillage by all but the most dicetarded of rollers. Guardsman and dice for reference:

Very cool thing that I didn't know I needed in my life, thanks to whoever originally posted the link to these.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

PierreTheMime posted:

If you want a shooty army with some Genestealers, literally a Genestealer Cult tank-heavy army and a Tyranid Genestealer list is all you want/need. Granted, it’s a TON of models (read: work), but it’s fluffy and fun.

Is there a way to do this which won't land me in the poorhouse?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beast Pussy posted:

Is there a way to do this which won't land me in the poorhouse?

There is a Genestealer Cult Battleforce

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Bforce-Genestealer-Cults-Insurrection-2017

Which is like $75 cheaper then buying them together.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Reynold posted:

My dice rollin' mat came today! From Lithuania! From http://www.deepcutstudio.com/

It is mousepad material with plastic snaps that seem fairly decent quality, but I'll prolly just use this for rollin dice on my resin terrain at home, so ymmv as to it's ability to stand up to repeated snaps.

It is admittedly smaller than I expected, but the walls are tall enough to prevent dice spillage by all but the most dicetarded of rollers. Guardsman and dice for reference:

Very cool thing that I didn't know I needed in my life, thanks to whoever originally posted the link to these.

Those are pretty cool- more portable than what I did.

First iteration was a simple box from Michael’s lined with craft foam:

For my son’s 17th a few years ago I made another using a shadow box and more craft foam. Unfortunately the cat (tail shown) scratched it a bit however it’s still functional.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I love those dice, who makes them?

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is a Genestealer Cult Battleforce

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Bforce-Genestealer-Cults-Insurrection-2017

Which is like $75 cheaper then buying them together.

For some perspective, how many points is that, and what else would I need?
Edit: there's also a deathwatch and GSC game, right? How does that rate in terms of cost/points/effectiveness?

Beast Pussy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 13, 2018

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
UK goons, how do I get my mitts on this stuff?

http://www.halfmoonbay.co.uk/our_brands/warhammer_40000/

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ijyt posted:

I love those dice, who makes them?

Chessex 16mm.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

UK goons, how do I get my mitts on this stuff?

http://www.halfmoonbay.co.uk/our_brands/warhammer_40000/

I think amazon UK will ship to the US. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?merchant=A1SQVY6DQMGQUH

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Beast Pussy posted:

For some perspective, how many points is that, and what else would I need?
Edit: there's also a deathwatch and GSC game, right? How does that rate in terms of cost/points/effectiveness?

Well the game is $165 from GW and they sell the models in it for $65 (space marine deathwatch) + $60 (genestealer HQ's) + "$120" worth of hybrids (monopose models though) and you get 2 genestealers and 4 abberants (the only way to get these models) for free? Based on the price of the Genestealer HQ guys alone it's a good deal if you want to get started with them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

X-posting from the Keep Painting thread.

ijyt posted:

Complete! Gosh I love weathering.

e: don't talk to me or my son ever again

ijyt fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 13, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that's nice.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ijyt posted:

X-posting from the Keep Painting thread.

That looks fantastic. I absolutely love the weathering. How'd you do it?

Great work.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Those are pretty cool- more portable than what I did.

First iteration was a simple box from Michael’s lined with craft foam:

For my son’s 17th a few years ago I made another using a shadow box and more craft foam. Unfortunately the cat (tail shown) scratched it a bit however it’s still functional.

A buddy of mine up in Buffalo has a woodshop and makes hobby supplies from time to time and he made me one of these dice trays a while back. It's lined with felt. I think he still makes them. If anyone's interested, PM me and I can hit him up about pricing. I think they were like 20 bucks, but he can do custom orders/sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

That looks fantastic. I absolutely love the weathering. How'd you do it?

Great work.

It's not exactly a sure bet I will definitely have a tutorial thingy up at some point, I'll definitely post it here once it's done. But mostly: chipping medium and oil washes.