Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Why respond? Not strictly incorrect in any way, and in fact makes a pretty good point about how the rise of mass production has impacted society. A point made in a hugely annoying way, but not so bad as to make it worth getting into an argument over.

I don't know, it sort of comes across to me as "gently caress this green poo poo, I'm old". It does make some good points, you're right.

I'll just let it lie.

smilingfish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

smilingfish posted:

Here's a good one I saw today.

I think this basically translates to "I'm old and I'm not happy." Any ideas on a response?

For starters, back in the day now means like the 1960's and 1970's, not the 1920's. Our parents loved escalators and elevators, they both littered and consumed like hell, they bought the biggest TVs they could afford, most had a dryer, and people were generally less environmentally conscious since we hadn't fully realized we were actually warming an entire planet or that stuff could run out. Sorry mom and dad, your generation was wasteful as hell(not that we're really much better). I mean you guys went through not one, but two oil crises, then apparently decided it'd never happen again once oil plummeted again in the 80's.

As for the really old people, see: the 1950's. The moment the depression and WW2 were over, they consumed and produced waste just as good as the rest of us.

My favorite part is

quote:

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service.

Then we built and fled into the suburbs where these things are impossible where we then raised our kids :v:

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 5, 2013

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

smilingfish posted:

I think this basically translates to "I'm old and I'm not happy." Any ideas on a response?
Yeah, the current consumer culture IS wasteful, and in some ways worse than in the past. Of course, that was mostly out of economic necessity rather than some kind of protestant work ethic or whatever, and people weren't exactly shunning refrigerators and frozen peas and plastic crap when those things started coming on the market.

The real problem with the "old days" was that they definitely weren't the "good old days" if you weren't a white guy, and while we need to get better at it, we're at least making some effort to not, you know, let captains of industry just blatantly gently caress up the water supply and such.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

smilingfish posted:

We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.

This one stood out a little to me, depending on what "back in their day" means. Cars got 300HP back in the 50's and 60's but they got 8MPG and spewed black fog everywhere while doing it, while today's cars are getting 300HP, 25-30MPG, and have things like airbags, abs, crumple zones, and all kinds of other safety devices, plus all of the emissions controls, not to even mention the much safer antifreeze and chemicals, synthetic oils, etc.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You think a thing like facts will deter an argument that's motivated by 'drat kids these days!'

I mean, there are some fair points to be made in that argument, but the motive behind it is rather transparent.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

smilingfish posted:

I don't have a rebuttal, but here is a word for word recitation from a woman who is clearly insane and has access to... I dunnow, poser I guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbdHg3hpmI

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

KillerJunglist posted:

I don't have a rebuttal, but here is a word for word recitation from a woman who is clearly insane and has access to... I dunnow, poser I guess?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJbdHg3hpmI

:catstare: Hahaha, what the hell?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The best example of the cognitive dissonance of the "back in my day" guys is the reaction to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDs1sHJLFE

To illustrate the improvements in safety over the past 50 years, a 1959 Chevy was crashed into a 2009 Chevy. The 2009 Chevy was much better at protecting its occupant, but the comments all find ways to disagree with what is literally before their eyes.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Ho Chi Mint posted:

The best example of the cognitive dissonance of the "back in my day" guys is the reaction to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDs1sHJLFE

To illustrate the improvements in safety over the past 50 years, a 1959 Chevy was crashed into a 2009 Chevy. The 2009 Chevy was much better at protecting its occupant, but the comments all find ways to disagree with what is literally before their eyes.

They're destroying my classic death trap!! Whether it's cars or music, people often think old=good, back in the good old days, and this includes to a large extent people who weren't even alive at the time.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Amused to Death posted:

They're destroying my classic death trap!! Whether it's cars or music, people often think old=good, back in the good old days, and this includes to a large extent people who weren't even alive at the time.

Makes you miss the Spanish Inquisition.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

smilingfish posted:

I don't know, it sort of comes across to me as "gently caress this green poo poo, I'm old". It does make some good points, you're right.

I'll just let it lie.
I mean... would it be entirely disingenuous for you to respond with something along the lines of "yeah, they didn't call it the green thing back then, but this is definitely what green advocates are talking about. You got a lot of things right, it's a shame consumer culture ruined it all, but it's not too late to go back!"?

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mean... would it be entirely disingenuous for you to respond with something along the lines of "yeah, they didn't call it the green thing back then, but this is definitely what green advocates are talking about. You got a lot of things right, it's a shame consumer culture ruined it all, but it's not too late to go back!"?

What's weird to me is that I'm pretty sure I've seen this one making the rounds before, but without that last part - "Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-rear end young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off."

That little addition makes the whole thing come across as a lot more bitter and in my opinion overshadows any actual good points. I guess somebody had an axe to grind with all the goddamn hippies and added that in?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is probably the best response. As far as :bahgawd: style cane-waving goes, that post is probably the least annoying one I've ever read. I typically hear far more terrible ones where the author bitches about things like not being able to burn whatever the gently caress you want in your backyard anymore. I'm actually pretty surprised he added the part about the demise of American public transportation. Most old farts I talk to look back fondly to driving their giant muscle cars around for fun all day when the cost of gas was pennies to the gallon, not taking the streetcar.

In other words, don't get into an argument. In fact, you should "like" the post.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Conservative say that it's Obama fault we're losing jobs, he gave all the money to Egypt

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Last I heard the sequester was $83B, so this would amount to a whopping 0.3% of the sequester's total. Yet another case of large numbers all blending together in one's mind. Once something gets past the point where you can really conceive of how much money it is, $200M might as well be $5B might as well be $1.2T.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The problem with that Old Person Yells About Environmentalism thing is that it's all well and good to say "in my day we used public transportation and rode bikes!" but it isn't current young people who created suburbia, gutted our transportation network, and worked consumerism into every tiny detail of the culture. If anything, the rest of the e-mail does nothing but prove the strawman's point: if everything used to be so environmentally friendly, and now it's not, who the hell were the people in power during the transition between the two times? Not Millennials.

Challenge whoever posted that to put their money where their mouth is and push for more environmentally friendly policies, even when it entails a personal sacrifice. Otherwise they're just trying to have their cake and eat it too.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

vyelkin posted:

Last I heard the sequester was $83B, so this would amount to a whopping 0.3% of the sequester's total. Yet another case of large numbers all blending together in one's mind. Once something gets past the point where you can really conceive of how much money it is, $200M might as well be $5B might as well be $1.2T.

I honestly think a lot of people don't know what a billion is. Like, they don't know what the word even means or represents, let alone how to conceive of that number in terms of money (or anything else for that matter). I mean I have literally had to explain to otherwise intelligent people that a billion is 1000 million.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I honestly think a lot of people don't know what a billion is. Like, they don't know what the word even means or represents, let alone how to conceive of that number in terms of money (or anything else for that matter). I mean I have literally had to explain to otherwise intelligent people that a billion is 1000 million.

I think you'll find that's a milliard. :smug: But that was a point of transatlantic linguistic confusion for a fair while. One that's resolved itself, surprisingly.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mitchicon posted:

Makes you miss the Spanish Inquisition.

Gee, I didn't expect this.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Got this one, included comments:

I wanted to point out that the card expires on election day 2012, but I know these people and they would just call me "liberal" like it's some kind of derogatory thing and move on.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hoochie Mama.

Hoochie. Mama.

:negative:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

KillerJunglist posted:

Got this one, included comments:

I wanted to point out that the card expires on election day 2012, but I know these people and they would just call me "liberal" like it's some kind of derogatory thing and move on.

:freep: : How dare a black person have more money to spend than me! Surely she must have embezzled it all from us hard working taxpayers.

Also, "hootchie mama"? Why not photoshop a watermelon patch and KFC bucket into the photo while they're at it?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Snopes has weighed in on this too, although not conclusively. I'd be surprised if she didn't get some of it for free though. My guess is that this is a delayed backlash to criticism of Sarah Palin's legendary shopping spree, using Republican cash rather than tax money.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I like using time to really amplify how big the difference is in terms that people can understand: One thousand seconds is under 17 minutes. One million seconds is about 11 and a half days. A billion seconds is almost 32 years. A trillion seconds ago there were still neanderthals on the planet.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
Someone shared one of those "rules for dating my precious virginal daughters" images and my dad told them was creepy, my dad is awesome

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This just popped up on Facebook. I could have sworn I eradicated all remnants of the "2nd Amendment! OOH-RAH" force from my friends list weeks ago. But nope.

Some lovely quotes for this otherwise tame picture:

quote:

Paper is temporary,bullets are forever! Gun control is hitting what you aim at! I suggest center mass. If faced with armored vest head shot works too! Ahhhhh the Pink Mist.

quote:

Now a days u have to protect ur self! Too many nut heads out there wid no regard to human life! Train n learn to shoot
Such little regard for human life these days. Better learn how to kill people!

quote:

Its not teaching your daughters to be violent. It's teaching them to repel evil! Its everyone's God given right!
Shooting people isn't violent!

Irvin posted:

Read # 6 of The Ten commandments before you shoot because you can"t take a bullet back after you have fired it.

quote:

Irvin McGarrell, the proper translation of the Bible is " Thou shalt not murder", self defense is NOT murder.
:what:

To be fair, the vast majority of the posts are pretty bog-standard or actually fairly positive. Most of the people posting say we need to teach people about proper gun control, or some kind of martial art instead of just a gun. I'm pretty pleased with the responses, but of course most of the idiot posts I see have a couple dozen likes attached to them.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 6, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Her thumb seems pretty close to the sliding part of the pistol, isn't that very unwise?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

This is a very common right wing Christian meme. Right up there with the "eye of the needle gate."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh hi Facebook love you too.

friend's wall posted:

Military Pay
Please take the time to read!

CINDY WILLIAMS was appointed by Obama as an Assistant Director for NATIONAL SECURITY in the Congressional Budget Office.....

This is an Airman's response to Cindy Williams' editorial piece in the Washington Post about MILITARY PAY, it should be printed in all newspapers across America .

Cindy William wrote a piece for the Washington Times denouncing the pay raise(s) coming service members' way this year citing that she stated a 13% wage increase was more than they deserve.

A young airman from HillAFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this.

"Ms Williams:

I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GI's earn enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes per month. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40 after.

I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000 host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for "Network Technicians" in the Washington , D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience in my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum............ I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces.

Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off of WIC and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN ; I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience."

As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone. Obviously they've been squandering the "vast" piles of cash the government has been giving them.

Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites.. And when you're actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night, and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE's (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor.

Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't be nearly long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your open piece.

But, tomorrow from KABUL , I will defend to the death your right to say it.

You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment right and every other right you cherish...On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective noses at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe. We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies.

And you, Ms.. Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve?”
A1C Michael Bragg, Hill AFB AFNCC
IF YOU AGREE, PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT OF THE AMERICAN FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN.
If you get this more than once, feel honored that you know more than one person
who supports our military and appreciates what they do.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Pollyanna posted:

Oh hi Facebook love you too.

http://www.airforce.com/benefits/enlisted-pay/

Looks like it's at least part completely made up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Goddamn that A1C makes more than I did as a Senior Airman. The gently caress is he complaining about?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 11, 2016

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Dirty Job posted:

This just popped up on Facebook. I could have sworn I eradicated all remnants of the "2nd Amendment! OOH-RAH" force from my friends list weeks ago. But nope.

Some lovely quotes for this otherwise tame picture:

Such little regard for human life these days. Better learn how to kill people!

Shooting people isn't violent!

:what:

To be fair, the vast majority of the posts are pretty bog-standard or actually fairly positive. Most of the people posting say we need to teach people about proper gun control, or some kind of martial art instead of just a gun. I'm pretty pleased with the responses, but of course most of the idiot posts I see have a couple dozen likes attached to them.

I thought it was "Thou shall not kill.
"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They retconned that in newer translations, as not being able to kill kind of hamstrung many church agendas.

Well, not really, I think most Jewish scholars say the original Hebrew translation used some word with distinctly different meaning than just "kill" or something.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

vyelkin posted:

Also, people don't realize the sequester only hits certain types of spending.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Seriously tho enlisted could and should be paid more, and that article would be at least a little relevant if Cindy Williams worked for the Obama admin. (Last I heard she'd been part of the Clinton team from 94-97 and had nothing to do with Obama, but that could have changed, anyone want to clarify?)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Gourd of Taste posted:

Seriously tho enlisted could and should be paid more, and that article would be at least a little relevant if Cindy Williams worked for the Obama admin. (Last I heard she'd been part of the Clinton team from 94-97 and had nothing to do with Obama, but that could have changed, anyone want to clarify?)

They are paid more. That doesn't include BAH

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gourd of Taste posted:

Also we should cut a good 30 - 50% of the military (slowly, not all at once) so that way we CAN pay our enlisted more.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

ratbert90 posted:

Also we should cut a good 30 - 50% of the military (slowly, not all at once) so that way we CAN pay our enlisted more.

Troop compensation (including retirees, cash bonuses that should be completely restructured, and various benefits including healthcare and bah) makes up about a quarter of the defense budget and is really very stimulative. There is absolutely zero current reason to even consider stepping back the number of actual enlisted before massive reductions in overall defense spending happen.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Well here's a fun new addition in the "ineffectual gestures" department:

Even better, I don't think it's passed the Kentucky House yet. Tea Party, the most knowledgeable people about government and Constitutional law! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also image editing. Christ that's a terrible picture.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

"Welcome to Kentucky, where even our politicians don't understand how the law and politics work. Please send schools, thanks in advance"