Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah that password checks out, I would actually get intel alpha/beta firmware zipped up with that password or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Usually everyone should have it drilled in to them to protect this poo poo but all plans fall apart when the secure file site takes a poo poo or people can't figure it out and things end up on an open network share

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yup, it’s kind of archaic to just be emailing large files around pw protected zip or no. Have some secure as possible cloud share thing you can grant and revoke access to at the very least!

Even internally we have so much trouble sharing large files with the way IT has everything locked down there is a tough balance between security and usability.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

Yup, it’s kind of archaic to just be emailing large files around pw protected zip or no. Have some secure as possible cloud share thing you can grant and revoke access to at the very least!

Even internally we have so much trouble sharing large files with the way IT has everything locked down there is a tough balance between security and usability.

My previous group had a secure file site with permission management and all that. But it requires Java. IT came in and removed Java from everyone's laptops one night and the only way we could access our docs was by using department not IT administered lab systems

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

My previous group had a secure file site with permission management and all that. But it requires Java. IT came in and removed Java from everyone's laptops one night and the only way we could access our docs was by using department not IT administered lab systems

We had to set up our own server in the lab for storing traces etc so other groups could access them because the IT provided storage requires an arduous process that takes 2-3 days to add new people to it and if they don’t log in for 30 days their access is removed. So every project we would have a bunch of people clamouring to get our traces but no way to provide them.

It worked well using our own server until IT hosed with the domain accesses and now if you are coming in via certain VPNs you can’t access it. But this is getting a bit off topic should go in an IT bitching thread :haw:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone smarter than me describe what's in that leak and why it's a big deal

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone smarter than me describe what's in that leak and why it's a big deal

It just dropped, so there's a lot that hasn't been analyzed yet. But part of the concern is that it may expose information that could be used to build malware against chips whose BIOS code is included.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

A shitload of proprietary Intel motherboard/ME source, binaries, internal development and debugging tools, documentation, roadmaps, and even chip designs.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Okay sure but literally no person, not a single soul is buying a mac pro to train 1tb+ datasets. Your argument makes sense from a processor market segmentation standpoint but Apple is selling something that's ostensibly a media production workstation. There shouldn't even be xeons in there to begin with.

This audio freelancer dude would disagree with you on that, this is a long video series but iirc he ends up being able to load up pretty much all cores of his new mac pro audio workstation setup.

Also iirc he ends up needing a substantial amount of RAM. Not 1TB+, but still more than you might expect. Media workstations can need lots of storage, memory, and compute.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi2i2YhL6okTb7-pQbRk9rSWrw0JknLxT

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There are apparently some fun things in this leak:
pre:
- Intel ME Bringup guides + (flash) tooling + samples for various platforms
- Kabylake (Purley Platform) BIOS Reference Code and Sample Code + Initialization code (some of it as exported git repos with full history)
- Intel CEFDK (Consumer Electronics Firmware Development Kit (Bootloader stuff)) SOURCES
- Silicon / FSP source code packages for various platforms
- Various Intel Development and Debugging Tools
- Simics Simulation for Rocket Lake S and potentially other platforms
- Various roadmaps and other documents
- Binaries for Camera drivers Intel made for SpaceX
- Schematics, Docs, Tools + Firmware for the unreleased Tiger Lake platform
- (very horrible) Kabylake FDK training videos
- Intel Trace Hub + decoder files for various Intel ME versions
- Elkhart Lake Silicon Reference and Platform Sample Code
- Some Verilog stuff for various Xeon Platforms, unsure what it is exactly.
- Debug BIOS/TXE builds for various Platforms
- Bootguard SDK (encrypted zip)
- Intel Snowridge / Snowfish Process Simulator ADK
- Various schematics
- Intel Marketing Material Templates (InDesign)
- Lots of other things

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Maybe hackers could do us a favour and improve the ITP suite

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

you've triggered me

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

you've triggered me

:(:hf::(

Schedule estimates:
- ITP test setup 2 days
- Licensing issues 3 weeks
- ITP test run 2 days

Is someone good with scheduling please help my schedule is dying

movax
Aug 30, 2008

That dump looks a lot like what an integrator would pull from a portal; I would get Nehalem CRB, MRC and other stuff from a portal like that. If they canary trapped any of that they might find what dumbshit decided to upload that.

Didn’t think there’s any actual RTL in that dump but haven’t looked myself (I see it’s called out but if that’s real real stuff, who the gently caress had access to THIS combination of poo poo?).

The real take away of course is that Intel has a code name for EVERYTHING. Even the dumbest, simplest little eval boards would show up with “Turtle Cove 7” and corny artwork on it.

E: lol did they leak a Quartus manual

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

movax posted:

That dump looks a lot like what an integrator would pull from a portal; I would get Nehalem CRB, MRC and other stuff from a portal like that. If they canary trapped any of that they might find what dumbshit decided to upload that.

Yep that's what Intel has said.

quote:

A spokesperson for Intel said the information was likely taken from its Resource and Design Center, which is a private library of resources for computer manufacturers and the like to build systems using Intel's silicon. Access to this center is not open to the public as its content is intended to be used, for instance, to craft firmware and design motherboards compatible with Chipzilla's microprocessors.

quote:

The purported source of the leaked documents has explained how they found the material: apparently by scanning the internet with Nmap and finding an unsecured Akamai CDN server hosting Chipzilla's files.

Kottmann also told us the archives passed to them came from the partners-only design center: "As far as I am informed, the data I have was pretty much directly grabbed from the CDN for Intel's Resource and Design Center."
https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/06/intel_nda_source_code_leak/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

movax posted:

Didn’t think there’s any actual RTL in that dump but haven’t looked myself (I see it’s called out but if that’s real real stuff, who the gently caress had access to THIS combination of poo poo?).

The real take away of course is that Intel has a code name for EVERYTHING. Even the dumbest, simplest little eval boards would show up with “Turtle Cove 7” and corny artwork on it.

E: lol did they leak a Quartus manual

it makes far more sense that someone compromised a dumbass integrator than actually breached internal intel accounts

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BobHoward posted:

This audio freelancer dude would disagree with you on that, this is a long video series but iirc he ends up being able to load up pretty much all cores of his new mac pro audio workstation setup.

Also iirc he ends up needing a substantial amount of RAM. Not 1TB+, but still more than you might expect. Media workstations can need lots of storage, memory, and compute.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi2i2YhL6okTb7-pQbRk9rSWrw0JknLxT

Okay, that's a fair enough use case, if you're live tracking to a huge VST orchestra and you don't want to bounce down first I can see it. That's one place where macos has a huge software and stability advantage, a mac pro or two in a big touring rig makes a lot of sense.

e: threadripper would still be a better price/performance choice but no pro is gonna rely on an amd hackintosh.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 6, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

D. Ebdrup posted:

There are apparently some fun things in this leak:
pre:
- (very horrible) Kabylake FDK training videos

i literally can't wait for these to show up on youtube

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
In case this is not obvious: the passworded zips sharing the same intel123 password are simply to circumvent their anti-virus/mail server checker. I've been given pre-release binaries with an Intel person I was collaborating with and it was all zipped in that same way.

Beef fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 6, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just want to see the (very horrible) Kabylake FDK training videos

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The PDK documentation is hilariously minimalist. It has a full brochure going over the safe way to lift a large heavy server but nothing when it comes to things like accessing bios, updating firmware, etc.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i literally can't wait for these to show up on youtube
eh it's overrated, there's 4 videos of someone recording them trying to do a meeting with audacity, etc and it goes as well as you'd expect

likewise the amount of passworded archives is overrated as well, for the 100+ in there 9 have passwords. they seem to love bundling software with their decryption keys though. nothing too spectacular in the dump outside of mild comedy and nda'ed tools for testing pre/post silicon. i'm not a low levels engineer though so maybe someone in that security field will find a relevant gem in the pile, the ME collection isn't anything special outside of integrators

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The dump with git history seems fun though. Don't know how many times I used stupid commit messages on internal tools because I assumed no one important actually reads the logs

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 7, 2020

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I built a fully functioning hackintosh on a x570 board and it actually runs great for most things.

However, there is a big butt, and that comes in the form of pro software.

The current version of Adobe Lightroom flat out doesn't work. You can delete some files in Photoshop to make it work, but other apps in the CC are also suspect and unreliable. I've heard of issues with FCP as well.

These issues make sense when you can target and optimize only for Intel because Apple does not make AMD Macs.

In daily use, I don't have any issues and my MacFaux7,1 is loving great with 12 cores, 24 threads, and 32gb of ram. But those techtubers leave out poo poo like app compatibility in those bake offs for a reason.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I wish we got the source to the IME :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

priznat posted:

Lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.pcmag.com/news/intel-is-releasing-avengers-edition-10th-gen-processors

so it turns out the "KA" suffixed processors that we saw some weeks ago stands for "Avengers" - they're exactly the same as the base models, but they're going to be packaged in Marvel: Avengers-themed boxes

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/intel-is-releasing-avengers-edition-10th-gen-processors

so it turns out the "KA" suffixed processors that we saw some weeks ago stands for "Avengers" - they're exactly the same as the base models, but they're going to be packaged in Marvel: Avengers-themed boxes
Appropriate that Intel's attempt to tie in to an Avengers movie turns up over a year late.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Appropriate that Intel's attempt to tie in to an Avengers movie turns up over a year late.

:iceburn:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

:chloe:

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

:vince:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think it’s a tie in with the game that’s about to come out, but the joke is better please ignore!!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Do we expect to see Tiger Lake / Rocket Lake have any significant improvements for desktop users? The only thing that looks appealing is PCI Express 4.0 but not much else at all.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The first new core arch/IPC gain since 2015.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah who knows what that actually means, could be irrelevant, could be big. Just because Intel has completely poo poo the bed on process tech doesn't mean that they've forgotten how to do architectural improvements. But on the other hand, Intel company culture in general seems pretty rotten at this point so who knows.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Gimmie Sapphire Rapids DDR5/PCIe5 :getin:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

priznat posted:

Gimmie Sapphire Rapids DDR5/PCIe5 with support for Optane Persisntent Memory so I don't even need an nvme SSD :getin:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

The first new core arch/IPC gain since 2015.

I might be out of the loop but has nothing changed since Skylake? That doesn't make sense...

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gabriel S. posted:

I might be out of the loop but has nothing changed since Skylake? That doesn't make sense...
Auto oc has gotten better to compete with AMD out of the box, they've stopped deliberately disabling hyperthreading on some enthusiast CPUs because AMD was giving it away for free, core counts have gone up, max clock speed out of the box has gone up, and they stopped using tim instead of solder so now you don't have to delid to hit 5-5.3GHz.

I think that covers most of the major changes since skylake. Nothing about the architecture has really changed. IPC is identical. The big change is you don't have to delid & overclock to get near peak performance anymore. It's just there out of the box. People who bought 8700ks near release made out like the sandy & ivy bridge bandits unless they're big into streaming or productivity tasks that benefit from tons more cores.

Ice Lake and the 10nm family CPUs have some really nice ipc gains, but their clock speed is pretty low so they underperform vs the sky lake derivatives on desktop (& aren't available anyway). For laptops, it's a complicated minefield that I'm not stepping into in this quick reply.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 9, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Intel has long operated on a tick-tock model, where they introduce a new architecture on an existing process, then port that architecture to a new process, and repeat. This first started to slip at 22nm, when 14nm wasn't ready to go on time and Intel did the Haswell refresh, i.e. replacing the 4670k with the 4690k and the 4770k with the 4790k. Same architecture, same process, just a frequency bump.

At 14nm, this completely fell apart. Broadwell was Haswell ported to 14nm, and then Skylake a year later was a new architecture on that 14nm process. The next step would be the port Skylake to 10nm and then release a new arch on 10nm. Intel spent years believing that 10nm was just around the corner, so all their major architectural development work was done planning for 10nm. 10nm came years late and it sucks in basically every way. So for years Intel has done nothing but re-release the same architecture on the same process with optimizations and some new features (mainly increased core counts). Something like a year ago Intel came to accept that 10nm was a failure and would probably never be good, so while waiting for 7nm they decided to take architectural improvements that they'd designed for 10nm and backport them to new CPUs designed for 14nm. Rocket Lake will be the first series of processors based on this new architecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It looks like though that it's just that we'll see Tiger Lake (Mobile) and Rocket Lake (Desktop) not until later in 2021. Or maybe just a paper launch.