Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
For what it's worth I've heard reports that the Alienware's colour accuracy is shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Dell 34" monitors have a bit of input lag, so they're sub ideal for gaming.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Dennis System posted:

My computer is hooked up to my TV and I occasionally read the internet on my TV. When I recently got a new TV, I was stunned to find that all the text on my computer and all the text on the internet look completely different on the new TV. All text on the old TV was thin and long, and all text on the new TV is short and squat, and also small. Resolution and scaling from the computer is the same as it was before. Weird that TV's would "render"(I don't know if render is the correct word) text differently. Well, that's my story.

This sounds like the effect of chroma subsampling, maybe. Did either of the two TVs have text that looks like your monitor?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

VostokProgram posted:

This sounds like the effect of chroma subsampling, maybe. Did either of the two TVs have text that looks like your monitor?

Chroma subsampling? I'm out of my depth here. But anyways, I don't have a monitor. I just use my TV as the monitor. The text difference isn't a huge deal or anything. I just thought it was weird.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Dell 34" monitors have a bit of input lag, so they're sub ideal for gaming.

Well, that doesn't mean this monitor will. Those were never marketed for gaming, they are UltraSharps that are marketed for graphic design.

Speaking of which, they have a also have a 38-inch, 3840 x 1600 ultrawide Ultrasharp:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-amrc?ref=p13n_std_pdp_mv&c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Why not just put a Gsync module in that instead? If they could overclock it to 90-ish hz it would blow away every other gaming monitor.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Well, that doesn't mean this monitor will. Those were never marketed for gaming, they are UltraSharps that are marketed for graphic design.

Speaking of which, they have a also have a 38-inch, 3840 x 1600 ultrawide Ultrasharp:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/210-amrc?ref=p13n_std_pdp_mv&c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Why not just put a Gsync module in that instead? If they could overclock it to 90-ish hz it would blow away every other gaming monitor.

Trust me, there are many of us that wish more than anything for a GSync of the 38". Paul laments about it daily, and I agree with him.

Just bought two PG279Q's though :v:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Zero VGS posted:

You can't really just slap a Gsync module in, it's much more complex than that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, you have to agree to NVidia's terms, too.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I'm just confused why it took Dell this long to produce a 34" Ultrawide for the gaming market. And seriously, who the hell asked for a drat customizable lightshow with their monitor anyway?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm just confused why it took Dell this long to produce a 34" Ultrawide for the gaming market. And seriously, who the hell asked for a drat customizable lightshow with their monitor anyway?

*scrolls through pages of RGB LED light up motherboards, RAM kits, keyboards, mice and video cards on Newegg*

Yeah, weird huh?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Unpopular opinion here, but isn't 34" a little too big for a screen you'll be sitting only a few feet from?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I honestly really regret the XB321HK, it's too big for desktop use in my opinion.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Unpopular opinion here, but isn't 34" a little too big for a screen you'll be sitting only a few feet from?

Realtalk, going from a 29" ultrawide to a 34" ultrawide, the extra five inches made me motion sick playing FPS games when the 29" has been completely fine. I was OK with the 34 when I pushed it further back on the desk though, so I guess the net result is more actual desk space and higher perceived PPI for roughly the same field of view.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What kinda seating distance would you guys recommend for a 32" 1440p screen?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What's the prevailing brand for a desk-mounted monitor arm? I remember someone linking one they swore by that I thought was an Ergotech, but I can't find the darn thing anymore. It'll be for a 27" Predator. The stand that comes with is sleek-nifty and all, but it's a real space hog and I need as much desk depth as I can get.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

How are they doing 3440x1440 at 120hz while still on just DP 1.2 though? I would have thought that'd exceed the limits of the port/cable.

I did some research and I turned up the Acer Predator Z35P, which already exists for sale, and is 3440x1440 and can also be overclocked to 120hz on a single DisplayPort 1.2:

VA panel though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-wAnWIot1E

So I guess DP 1.2 can indeed handle that...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Wulfolme posted:

What's the prevailing brand for a desk-mounted monitor arm? I remember someone linking one they swore by that I thought was an Ergotech, but I can't find the darn thing anymore. It'll be for a 27" Predator. The stand that comes with is sleek-nifty and all, but it's a real space hog and I need as much desk depth as I can get.

The Amazon Basics one is a rebranded Ergotron, maybe you're thinking of that?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Amazon Basics one is a rebranded Ergotron, maybe you're thinking of that?

There's actually ErgoTRON and ErgoTECH and they are completely different companies.

I have both the standard ErgoTron LX ($134 on Amazon) on my desk holding up my PC and ErgoTech Freedom HD ($76 on Amazon) holding my monitor.

Behold for comparison (absolutely not that I'm showing off or anything):

My mistake was that the ErgoTech HD is for monitors over 20 pounds, and because my current 29" and even the Asus 34" are under 17 pounds, the spring in the HD pulls the monitor to the maximum height, and it can only be adjusted with the ring in the back.

I recommend the non HD ErgoTech, it is only $73, much cheaper than both the ErgoTron AND the Amazon Basics, with build quality just about as good: https://smile.amazon.com/Ergotech-Freedom-Arm-Metal-FDM-PC-G01/dp/B008TYF0F4/

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

There's actually ErgoTRON and ErgoTECH and they are completely different companies.

I have both the standard ErgoTron LX ($134 on Amazon) on my desk holding up my PC and ErgoTech Freedom HD ($76 on Amazon) holding my monitor.

Behold for comparison (absolutely not that I'm showing off or anything):

My mistake was that the ErgoTech HD is for monitors over 20 pounds, and because my current 29" and even the Asus 34" are under 17 pounds, the spring in the HD pulls the monitor to the maximum height, and it can only be adjusted with the ring in the back.

I recommend the non HD ErgoTech, it is only $73, much cheaper than both the ErgoTron AND the Amazon Basics, with build quality just about as good: https://smile.amazon.com/Ergotech-Freedom-Arm-Metal-FDM-PC-G01/dp/B008TYF0F4/

I got that ergotron last weekend and I can't vouch for it enough. You really get what you pay for when it comes to stands, its holding my lg34um95 a considerable height above my x34, which is mounted on a much crappier arm. The stand in particular feels much more solid.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Not at all. It is, indeed, big. But it's gloriously big.

Then again, I run a 27+34+27 setup and don't find it to be "too much," so I may have a different concept of what "too big" means.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Alright, thanks. Are the gas cylinder stands actually good for moving the thing around like they're weightless, or will I get just as satisfying an effect from a plain jane one? I'll be swinging it back and forth over either a drawing tablet or some burly book, and back in close so I can get away without putting my glasses on as often as possible. I know they're twice as much, but having a zero-G monitor might be worth it.

E: I may have no idea what I'm talking about.

Twinty Zuleps fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 5, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Wulfolme posted:

Alright, thanks. Are the gas cylinder stands actually good for moving the thing around like they're weightless, or will I get just as satisfying an effect from a plain jane one? I'll be swinging it back and forth over either a drawing tablet or some burly book, and back in close so I can get away without putting my glasses on as often as possible. I know they're twice as much, but having a zero-G monitor might be worth it.

E: I may have no idea what I'm talking about.

Gas spring arms are pretty much standard, you can get them as low as $30 on Amazon and still have them be decent. They have some resistance when you push the monitor around but not much when swinging the whole arm left/right from where the arm meets the post.

Paying more gets you build quality, finish, and some rigidity. You could get Ergotech for 70 or Ergotron for 140, paying twice the price will not necessarily make you twice as happy. Go with what has good reviews on Amazon and fits your budget, you can always return it if you don't like it.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Gas spring arms are pretty much standard, you can get them as low as $30 on Amazon and still have them be decent. They have some resistance when you push the monitor around but not much when swinging the whole arm left/right from where the arm meets the post.

Paying more gets you build quality, finish, and some rigidity. You could get Ergotech for 70 or Ergotron for 140, paying twice the price will not necessarily make you twice as happy. Go with what has good reviews on Amazon and fits your budget, you can always return it if you don't like it.

Yeah, I just didn't see that advertised on most of them so I thought it must have been something special. As for the price, I really must have been thinking of something twin-arm. I apologize for my stupid question.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Weird request. Does anyone know of monitor arms that can be locked down so that they will not move when pressed? I've got a split ergonomic keyboard and I'm wondering if monitor arms would be a good way to make it fully adjustable, but gas arms move when pressed, and that would be a bad thing.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
So I ordered a XF270hu from Ebay for a super insane price of $215 shipped. The seller listed the item as brand new - other as an open box item that looks new with all warranty in there. It was sold as is with no returns. It came today and the screen was broken as hell.

There was no description of any physical damage or indication it was sold for parts.

I can still dispute this even though the seller claims no knowledge and sold as is (passing it off as an open box brand new item) right? What happened if the guy lied about it.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 6, 2017

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My computer is hooked up to my TV and I occasionally read the internet on my TV. When I recently got a new TV, I was stunned to find that all the text on my computer and all the text on the internet look completely different on the new TV. All text on the old TV was thin and long, and all text on the new TV is short and squat, and also small. Resolution and scaling from the computer is the same as it was before. Weird that TV's would "render"(I don't know if render is the correct word) text differently. Well, that's my story.

Make sure sharpness is set to 0 when using the computer input.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Green Gloves posted:

So I ordered a XF270hu from Ebay for a super insane price of $215 shipped. The seller listed the item as brand new - other as an open box item that looks new with all warranty in there. It was sold as is with no returns. It came today and the screen was broken as hell.

There was no description of any physical damage or indication it was sold for parts.

I can still dispute this even though the seller claims no knowledge and sold as is (passing it off as an open box brand new item) right? What happened if the guy lied about it.

Dispute it. Either the guy lied and the item was not as described (that does not look brand new) or it got damaged in shipping and he's still on the hook. You can Google eBay's policies on the matter.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Hackan Slash posted:

Dispute it. Either the guy lied and the item was not as described (that does not look brand new) or it got damaged in shipping and he's still on the hook. You can Google eBay's policies on the matter.

Yeah I am going to force a refund because the guy is saying he sold it as is untested therefore he doesnt need to refund me.

What a shitface.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The seller must be really dumb to think he/she could get away with selling a monitor that's so obviously destroyed and unusable.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Hes telling me that he called Ebay and Ebay said to contact USPS. I am just going to call Ebay because I dont trust this guy.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thank you for wearing socks in the picture.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Platonicsolid posted:

For my setup 49" just sounds enormous! I should measure...I'm thinking 27 or 34 tops. Take on curved? It seems like mostly gimmick/useless unless you do lots of FPS.

Tbh monitor curves are pretty gentle. The below photos are from my LG 38UC99 and the curvature is nowhere near as severe as it is on, say, Samsung TVs I've seen. There's a slight central 'pinch' distortion visible in the second pic, but when you're using it you don't notice it at all. I'm not much of a gamer, my usual work is Photoshop/Lightroom/InDesign/Acrobat and general desktop productivity with a few windows open at a time. The odd game I do play, the extra pixels are great as long as you can get the right aspect ratio setup and just for reference, I recently replayed Quake 1 and Quake 2, so getting it working in a modern game isn't much of an issue as far as I've seen. As for recent games, I've had no issue on Doom or F1 2017.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Green Gloves posted:

Yeah I am going to force a refund because the guy is saying he sold it as is untested therefore he doesnt need to refund me.

What a shitface.

Yeah I got a monitor like that that arrived broken but the guy just didn't pack it well enough and was like "whups, mail it back and here's your refund". If this guy was on the level he wouldn't be fighting to avoid a refund, after all if he sold it for a fair price then he could just relist it again right?

Anyway you can easily dispute it with eBay or escalate it to a chargeback with your CC company. I'd probably go straight to the CC chargeback and save time.

Green Gloves posted:

Hes telling me that he called Ebay and Ebay said to contact USPS. I am just going to call Ebay because I dont trust this guy.

Don't even call eBay, just do a dispute with your credit card, they'll still ask you to mail it back with tracking number, but that'll be that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Don't just do a chargeback. Chargeback should be used as the last possible step.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Don't just do a chargeback. Chargeback should be used as the last possible step.

Why?

I buy $40,000 per month on my credit card (work reimbursements), I do this a lot and know the ins and outs.

If it's something blatant like this and you go to your CC, they're not going to say "sorry, you didn't go through all the steps with eBay". They're going to pull the money from the seller's PayPal (or leave it negative), give it back to you, then moderate between you and the seller, which always ends up with your CC saying "mail it back and we'll make your refund permanent".

eBay is gonna have you going back and forth with really dumb call center reps for like a month while this dude has your money. Your CC company isn't going to say "whoa now, you didn't go through all the steps with eBay and PayPal first!", they don't give a poo poo about any of that and are beholden only to you, their customer.

Edit: and in the case of a couple hundred bucks, your CC will often just leave the money with the seller, and pay you the money themselves and say "keep it, don't bother with a dispute". Most CC have a small "customer satisfaction fund" set aside if it's not a ton of money, so does PayPal for that matter.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 6, 2017

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Can Paypal credit do the same thing for me for a charge back?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Zero VGS posted:

Why?

I buy $40,000 per month on my credit card (work reimbursements), I do this a lot and know the ins and outs.

If it's something blatant like this and you go to your CC, they're not going to say "sorry, you didn't go through all the steps with eBay". They're going to pull the money from the seller's PayPal (or leave it negative), give it back to you, then moderate between you and the seller, which always ends up with your CC saying "mail it back and we'll make your refund permanent".

eBay is gonna have you going back and forth with really dumb call center reps for like a month while this dude has your money. Your CC company isn't going to say "whoa now, you didn't go through all the steps with eBay and PayPal first!", they don't give a poo poo about any of that and are beholden only to you, their customer.

Edit: and in the case of a couple hundred bucks, your CC will often just leave the money with the seller, and pay you the money themselves and say "keep it, don't bother with a dispute". Most CC have a small "customer satisfaction fund" set aside if it's not a ton of money, so does PayPal for that matter.

This. Added bonus if you paid with Amex. They're loving rabid attack dogs for this kind of poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Green Gloves posted:

Can Paypal credit do the same thing for me for a charge back?

You paid with... Paypal's line of credit? You must be their one customer. In that case I think you're stuck going through eBay. You might want to stick with a credit card in the future, you get a lot of things PayPal credit doesn't (extended warranties, accidental damage/theft protection, reward points, charegebacks). All PayPal Credit has to offer is uh... 20% APR.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The guy who sold it should have purchased insurance, that's the only way for his scam to work. Charge it back the second he is resistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

The guy who sold it should have purchased insurance, that's the only way for his scam to work. Charge it back the second he is resistant.

I think it's this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-27-034-XF270HU-WQHD-144Hz-IPS-LED-FreeSync-Monitor-UM-HX0AA-A02-/162650176035

The guy mysteriously has three of them, sounds like he fished them out of the Best Buy dumpster.

I don't think he was relying on an insurance scam, this is his first time selling anything and I think he just thought he could be vague and hope that "untested, no returns" trumps "dead on arrival", which is does not. He listed them as "new other". If he listed them as "broken/for parts" he'd almost have an argument, but not like this.