Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

flavor posted:

Exactly. Downgrading sounds like BS. I have 7.7.3 and it's been 100% solid ever since it came out.

Same here, been rock solid since I bought it. Just go to Apple and see what they can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I use Java for an App I like, and I've got the latest version of Java for Macs (8u31). But I also need to use the Java 6 Legacy for another application.

When I verify Java in Terminal and online it comes up as 8u31, but I am really worried about having to use Java 6.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lord Windy posted:

I use Java for an App I like, and I've got the latest version of Java for Macs (8u31). But I also need to use the Java 6 Legacy for another application.

When I verify Java in Terminal and online it comes up as 8u31, but I am really worried about having to use Java 6.
Probably belongs more in the software thread but Apple maintained the Java packages up until Java 7 came out and the later releases of Java 6 have the web plugin disabled by default (so your apps can still use it but not Safari). The package you want to install if you don't have it (or you're not sure) is called Java for OS X (2014-001) and should be available for download from Apple's KB.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Mercurius posted:

Probably belongs more in the software thread but Apple maintained the Java packages up until Java 7 came out and the later releases of Java 6 have the web plugin disabled by default (so your apps can still use it but not Safari). The package you want to install if you don't have it (or you're not sure) is called Java for OS X (2014-001) and should be available for download from Apple's KB.

I had no idea we had a mac software thread :downs:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I just got an early 2009 Mac Pro for free, and while the ram and cpu are passable the GPU is a bit of a bottleneck. I plan on using it mostly with Windows but have OS X for photoshop, garageband and similar programs.

Now my question is, what's the best GPU I can put in it? I don't really NEED to use OS X on it, so if drivers for yosemite are an issue i could just switch to windows exclusively.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you're OK with using Windows exclusively, you might be better served by something that's not a Mac Pro... It's no secret that you can get a *lot* more desktop PC with ~$1000 than you can get at Apple, and you can build something fairly nice for $600 that, in 2015, would undoubtedly be much faster than an 09 Mac Pro.

I don't know about your specific GPU question, though. I remember someone talking about putting a GTX 570 in one.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pivo posted:

If you're OK with using Windows exclusively, you might be better served by something that's not a Mac Pro... It's no secret that you can get a *lot* more desktop PC with ~$1000 than you can get at Apple, and you can build something fairly nice for $600 that, in 2015, would undoubtedly be much faster than an 09 Mac Pro.

I don't know about your specific GPU question, though.

well i don't mean to be a dick, but if you had read my post you'd have noticed that i got this computer for free.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

well i don't mean to be a dick, but if you had read my post you'd have noticed that i got this computer for free.

I did read your post, but if you're using words like "best GPU", I'm of the opinion that spending a little more to double or triple performance is generally worth it instead of pouring money into 6 year old hardware that is already outmoded - you did describe it as only "passable".

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Pivo posted:

I did read your post, but if you're using words like "best GPU", I'm of the opinion that spending a little more to double or triple performance is generally worth it instead of pouring money into 6 year old hardware that is already outmoded - you did describe it as only "passable".

well, thanks for your advice, but spending around $200 for a new gpu is what i'm looking to do, not buy a whole new computer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pivo posted:

He said best GPU for his computer. He may not even be able to put a $200 something graphics card into his system, the power unit might not support it.

Here is a good thread I found talking about this; https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4391012

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 16, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's the best (and fastest) way of transferring stuff from a Windows computer to a new mac? I can't remember how I did it the last time, and all the talk about Migration Assistant not working properly has left me wondering.

Also, on Windows all my music was stored in a huge mp3 folder. What's the best way of moving this to the new mac?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Xabi posted:

Also, on Windows all my music was stored in a huge mp3 folder. What's the best way of moving this to the new mac?
Either copying over the network (you just need to connect the machines with an ordinary network cable) or use a USB 3.0 hard drive.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Danke schön!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

I said come in! posted:

He said best GPU for his computer. He may not even be able to put a $200 something graphics card into his system, the power unit might not support it.

Here is a good thread I found talking about this; https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4391012

thanks! i looked up some of those cards and they're really cheap used.

second question: i've been trying to install bootcamp, but for some reason i can't seem to be abled to do it from a usb stick. the stick will just not show up in as a bootable device. i've done it from my mac, from my pc laptop and followed a guide on how to do it. i read somewhere that you'd need an 8 gb stick to do it, but i've only tried it with a 4 gb stick. could this be the reason why it's not showing up in the boot menu?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

second question: i've been trying to install bootcamp, but for some reason i can't seem to be abled to do it from a usb stick. the stick will just not show up in as a bootable device. i've done it from my mac, from my pc laptop and followed a guide on how to do it. i read somewhere that you'd need an 8 gb stick to do it, but i've only tried it with a 4 gb stick. could this be the reason why it's not showing up in the boot menu?

If you do find a solution, one of my friends with a imac would really like to know too. As far as he can tell, you can't install Windows from a USB stick and the DVD drive in his imac doesn't work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dyna Soar posted:

I just got an early 2009 Mac Pro for free, and while the ram and cpu are passable the GPU is a bit of a bottleneck. I plan on using it mostly with Windows but have OS X for photoshop, garageband and similar programs.

Now my question is, what's the best GPU I can put in it? I don't really NEED to use OS X on it, so if drivers for yosemite are an issue i could just switch to windows exclusively.

If you're looking to spend around $200, IMHO at the moment your best bet is to buy a used / refurbished MSI R9 280X Gaming 3G from Amazon or eBay.

It works OOTB with OS X and Windows, with the only caveat that you will have a black screen up until the login prompt or desktop, but it can be flashed easily with an EFI supporting ROM for tighter support. OS X's ATI drivers will treat the R9 280X as an AMD 7950 and if you play any 3D games it will speed them up quite well. As far as OS X is concerned, it's like you're running the mid-range card included with Late 2013 Mac Pros.

I have two first-gen Mac Pros from 2007 running with this very card. If you run Adobe Premiere / After Effects or want bleeding edge numerical computation, you might want to think about an nVidia card.

For further details, you might want to check the MacRumors forums, especially all the threads in this section: http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dyna Soar posted:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1680652 (this will "un-grey" the USB options in Bootcamp)

If you have an earlier MBP/iMac with a SuperDrive (or at one point it had one) you cannot boot with stock EFI. You will need to replace it with something like rEFIt. There are a bunch of tutorials on how to do this on the web (both text and video tutorials).

I'm not saying this is 100% going to work, but people have had success going this route.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 16, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

flosofl posted:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1680652 (this will "un-grey" the USB options in Bootcamp)

If you have an earlier MBP/iMac with a SuperDrive (or at one point had one) you cannot boot with stock EFI. You will need to replace it with something like rEFIt. There are a bunch of tutorials on how to do this on the web (both text and video tutorials).

I'm not saying this is 100% going to work, but people have had success going this route.

eh, i bought some empty dvd's and burned it. too much of a hassle.

i've worked on macs for years but that's a great example of why i don't want to use one at home. apple just makes the users life harder just because they can.

also i couldn't find a single usb wifi dongle that had drivers for yosemite. some maybe worked according to forums, but they cost like 70 bucks and there was no official guarantee.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Dyna Soar posted:

apple just makes the users life harder just because they can.

Ooh yeah, finally someone to roll down their shift keys and tell it like it is!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

flosofl posted:

If you have an earlier MBP/iMac with a SuperDrive (or at one point it had one) you cannot boot with stock EFI. You will need to replace it with something like rEFIt. There are a bunch of tutorials on how to do this on the web (both text and video tutorials).

This didn't work for me when I tried it a while back (2011 iMac with a busted SuperDrive), I ended up mounting an NTFS partition inside a Windows VM, ran sysprep to install, then booted into it using rEFIt.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

flavor posted:

Ooh yeah, finally someone to roll down their shift keys and tell it like it is!

heh, well you explain why they removed the option to install boot camp from usb with macs that have a dvd drive? it better be good b/c it makes no sense

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 16, 2015

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

heh, well you explain why they removed the option to install boot camp with macs that have a dvd drive? it better be good b/c it makes no sense

canyoulinktosomethingihavenoideawhatIwouldhavetoaddressbecauseidonthaveeverysinglemacthatevercameoutandidontusebootcampatallifihavetouseotheroperatingsystemsonamaciusevmwarefusion

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i forgot a part of the q. sorry :(

anyway i didn't plan on starting a mac vs. pc flame war, beating a dead horse and so on. i'm happy to have both at my disposal since i have photoshop and a bunch of other software on the os x side and then games, soulseek and and stuff on the pc side.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 16, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Dyna Soar posted:

i forgot a part of the q. sorry :(

anyway i didn't plan on starting a mac vs. pc flame war, beating a dead horse and so on. i'm happy to have both at my disposal since i have photoshop and a bunch of other software on the os x side and then games, soulseek and and stuff on the pc side.
He's making fun of the fact you apparently don't have a working shift key and you're posting in the grey forums :ssh:.

On topic, I actually feel the opposite to you I guess because I prefer to do just about everything on my Macs because a) I prefer to use OS X and also b) I don't have to janitor them to get them working properly like I often have to with Windows (especially with drivers). Like flavor, if I desperately need to use something that's only on Windows I'll run it in a VM instead of trying to shoehorn Windows onto a Mac.

I'm still pretty solidly of the opinion that if you just have normal usage requirements and want to use OS X but need Windows stuff sometimes, stick with VMs. If you really need Windows for something that requires more performance than a VM can give, build a cheap desktop PC.

If you use both types of computers frequently, Windows desktop and Mac laptop is the best combo IMO. Best value/performance from the desktop and best build quality/battery life from the laptop.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Right, use shift key, sure.

Anyway, I'm used to working on OS X and have been using Adobe CS on it for years, so as far as that goes I'm more comfortable with the shortcuts on a mac. I don't think there's any actual performance difference anymore, but back when I started those programs ran more smoothly on macs. I'm on windows now and it seems to run just as smoothly as OS X, so I don't really think it's shoehorning, this machine was made to run both really.

This machine can barely run solitaire over VMware, so boot camp it is. I could naturally buy a desktop PC, but as I said I got this one for free and it has pretty good specs for being such an old machine, being a used professionally in graphics design.

I saw a project someone did where he emptied the chassis of an old power mac like this and put a Hackintosh inside. I might do that at some point if it feels like this can't keep up anymore, but for now this thing is perfect for my use. Don't need to do much on the computer at home anyways.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 16, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I have a 2009 Mac Pro that I still use on a daily basis and it runs great; it's still a fine machine IMO. Granted, I don't game on it (but do use most Adobe apps on a daily basis). Having an SSD boot drive is a big plus. I'm actually still running on the stock GPU, but it just started dying so I'll be getting a flashed Radeon 7970 soon because I need boot screen support. If you don't, do as Binary Badger suggested and get a stock R9 280X.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So someone with a 21.5" late 2013 iMac is asking me whether my PCIe SSD that I pulled from the mid-2014 rMBP will work with his machine.

iFixIt's teardown says that it does have a working slot for a blade drive there, but I don't want to deal with the nonsense if this guy buys the thing and it doesn't work with his iMac.

Does anyone know for sure? The SSD is 655-1805D.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

So someone with a 21.5" late 2013 iMac is asking me whether my PCIe SSD that I pulled from the mid-2014 rMBP will work with his machine.

iFixIt's teardown says that it does have a working slot for a blade drive there, but I don't want to deal with the nonsense if this guy buys the thing and it doesn't work with his iMac.

Does anyone know for sure? The SSD is 655-1805D.

You should be good to go.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Dyna Soar posted:

I saw a project someone did where he emptied the chassis of an old power mac like this and put a Hackintosh inside. I might do that at some point if it feels like this can't keep up anymore,.

I did exactly that 'cause I got a Mac Pro case really cheaply, but it takes some fabrication skill to have a decent- looking machine when you're finished. A mATX PC mobo fits nicely, but I did a bit of welding and sheet metal work to get the multiple-zone fan setup to work like OEM. The front- panel switch/LED/USB/Firewire was 'fun' to get working as well.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

I did exactly that 'cause I got a Mac Pro case really cheaply, but it takes some fabrication skill to have a decent- looking machine when you're finished. A mATX PC mobo fits nicely, but I did a bit of welding and sheet metal work to get the multiple-zone fan setup to work like OEM. The front- panel switch/LED/USB/Firewire was 'fun' to get working as well.

The real fun would be to do that with a current generation case. :owned:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

flavor posted:

The real fun would be to do that with a current generation case. :owned:

Well, somebody did do it with a trash can which is pretty close: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/01/intrepid-modder-builds-hackintosh-mac-pro-replica-inside-a-real-trashcan/

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So I've got 5x 24-Inch iMac's and a single 27-inch iMac with some display issues that I need to offload. I've been trying to eBay them but apparently they have some loving retarded policy where if you're a new seller, you cannot list more than 1 computer at a time for the first 90-days that your account is open NO EXCEPTIONS. gently caress. That. Noise.

So here I am, stuck with these broken computers cluttering up my office. Who wants to make me a deal?

Edit: These did not fall off a truck, they are EOL save for the 27-inch which has proven too problematic for Apple to fix. My boss has gotten on my rear end to get rid of them because they are an eyesore and cluttering up my office.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I have a Macbook and I cannot get a CD to eject. It is the first time I have used a CD in a year. When I hit the button it makes a noise, then spins up again like I inserted it. I googled and downloaded a "force eject" app, held it at a 45 degree angle, and held it upside down, no dice. Anyone have a secret? Any ideas?

I swear this Macbook has had an issue every 6 months. I have been a Mac user since like 2003 but I am probably going PC next time. It was fine when I was just using it for messing around on the internet and stuff, but as a "work" computer it irritates the crap out of me on a regular basis.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 18, 2015

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
put "drutil eject" in terminal and see if that helps

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Sorry, I tried that also. I tried sticking a piece of cardboard in the drive too like I saw on Google. I guess the drive is broken. Of course it is snowing so I can't get get a USB drive either. The one day in 3 years I need to get data off a pile of CDs and I can't.

Maybe this Macbook Pro I got is bunk. I think I am most irritated I paid the Apple store like 300 bucks to fix some stuff a year ago (which took two months) and it still annoys me all the time.

I'm the rare person who hates all Apple products but their computers, maybe I am subconsciously irritated they focus on phones and iPads and stuff like that now to the detriment of what was once their main product, I dunno...I guess I am just ranting, sorry.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Just wanted to say thanks to this thread for the sound purchasing advice. Refurb 13"Retina Pro is on the way, as they had one with 16Gb of ram and 512Gb storage. In the off chance they rev the macbooks as rumored on the 24th I will be within my return window. You guys rock!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

they had one with 16Gb of ram and 512Gb storage

Sweet. Is it the 2.8GHz? If not, someone paid a lot to BTO that thing.

Ribsauce posted:

Maybe this Macbook Pro I got is bunk. I think I am most irritated I paid the Apple store like 300 bucks to fix some stuff a year ago (which took two months) and it still annoys me all the time.

Woah. Even a 4 year old BTO MBP only took me 3 days for a mainboard swap. After 2 months I'd be complaining up a storm, that's inexcusable especially for Apple.

Those slot-loading drives are pieces of crap anyway. I'd get an OptiBay, stick a fat hard drive in there, and tear into the optical drive to get your disc out. Then buy a cheapo USB drive when you can, because when you need optical media you may as well be able to use it with any computer.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 19, 2015

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pivo posted:

Sweet. Is it the 2.8GHz? If not, someone paid a lot to BTO that thing.

Yeah, it's the 2.8. It's funny though, it looks like the 16Gb option is now BTO only even on the 2.8s you can buy new. I even went to far as to call an Apple Store to see if they carried any 13" Retinas with 16gb and they said they did not, are BTO exclusive. For $1700 I am really happy. Hopefully AppleCare will be for the full three years of when I get the machine, not its original purchase date.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hopefully AppleCare will be for the full three years of when I get the machine, not its original purchase date.

It is from when you bought it. Previous owner may as well not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Pivo posted:

Woah. Even a 4 year old BTO MBP only took me 3 days for a mainboard swap. After 2 months I'd be complaining up a storm, that's inexcusable especially for Apple.

Those slot-loading drives are pieces of crap anyway. I'd get an OptiBay, stick a fat hard drive in there, and tear into the optical drive to get your disc out. Then buy a cheapo USB drive when you can, because when you need optical media you may as well be able to use it with any computer.
I had to take it back to the store probably 7 or 8 times before it was fixed. If I assigned a valuation to my time it would have been cheaper to wrap the thing in dynamite, blow it up, and buy a new one. I think this was the event that soured me on Apple by the way. It was horrible.

I don't really need anymore hard drive space. I guess I will take this to the Apple store, have them claim to fix it, get it back busted, then buy a USB drive and call it a day.