Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Gruckles posted:

It gives me the impression that they didn't bother to learn any Katakana at all, or even look it up as needed. People that self-teach themselves Japanese often decide that they'll only study "the most common form" instead of all 3 types of characters.

But they must've been able to read it for Stand names, so???
Hmm, I suppose that's true

One perceived drawback of learning Japanese, and maybe any language, in an institutionalized setting is that you don't get to make as much progress as you'd ideally like, but at least your fundamentals are near rock solid. Whereas self taught, you can teach yourself whatever you want, world's your oyster, but you need to discipline yourself more to learn those basics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
will the dub be on amazon prime

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It'll be on cable.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Waffleman_ posted:

It'll be on cable.

what about us in foreign lands?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

what about us in foreign lands?

Wait for the blu-ray, I guess? I don't believe they've discussed any release details outside the Toonami airing.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Um dub Joseph makes part 2

You're just flat-out wrong there.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

current jojo status:

i can't believe araki ripped off persona 5!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't believe Araki took the chapter where it establishes Josuke's upbringing as a child who never knew his birth father but was inspired to be a good person from a positive encounter with someone society considered a bad person, and then repeated it several times with subtle variations over fourteen volumes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I can't believe that Polnaref didn't wear a cooler eyepatch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Beelerzebub posted:

You're just flat-out wrong there.

That is true,whoever does the main villain nailed the air guitar segment.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Gruckles posted:

It gives me the impression that they didn't bother to learn any Katakana at all, or even look it up as needed. People that self-teach themselves Japanese often decide that they'll only study "the most common form" instead of all 3 types of characters.

But they must've been able to read it for Stand names, so???

The bad translation was translated secondhand from a Chinese translation, and they took the list of stand names from a list on Wikipedia, because they couldn't actually read them. This is why Epitaph, for example, is never named.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait for the blu-ray, I guess? I don't believe they've discussed any release details outside the Toonami airing.

There's a VIZ JoJo panel at AX late tonight. Who knows what we'll get, but I'm hoping to hear about SDC and maybe even pt 4 publishing. But I'm overly optimistic, I'm sure.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Um dub Joseph makes part 2

poo poo.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

unrelated to dub chat/part five chat, there is a guy doing some really cool comparisons of part four's bluray release to the tv release a oh boy did some of the tv release look rough

https://jojocomparisons.github.io/jojo-diu-27/

just get to the scene with shinobu and kira cause oh boy is that some quality

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

There's a VIZ JoJo panel at AX late tonight. Who knows what we'll get, but I'm hoping to hear about SDC and maybe even pt 4 publishing. But I'm overly optimistic, I'm sure.

Yeah, my guess is they'll at least go into SDC home release details, but I wouldn't hold out hope for that to be released until some time into Toonami's run. Likely, they'll do it in halves like other regions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Real outstanding post Caesarino

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

unrelated to dub chat/part five chat, there is a guy doing some really cool comparisons of part four's bluray release to the tv release a oh boy did some of the tv release look rough

https://jojocomparisons.github.io/jojo-diu-27/

just get to the scene with shinobu and kira cause oh boy is that some quality

To be honest I kind of prefer the rougher look of the original Shinobu. It adds to her being really unsatisfied with life to the point where she doesn't even bother keeping her hair neat. Obviously still some quality shots there, but the redone version gives me a pretty different feel on her character.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Real outstanding post Caesarino

Just finishing the sentence blame OP!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the redone shinobu looks kind of generic. not that the original airing was perfect by any means, but it's kind of weird to look at the difference

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
old shinobu looks hosed up in a good way and further sells her being depressed mess with some Bitch in her until she finds love again.

new shinbou is super generic and her eyes are HUGE

still want those blu-ray rips tho, gimme em

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Those shinobus almost look like two different characters.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I like most of the changes but Shinobu looks strange. She kinda has perfect plastic barbie hair now.

Why did they remove her hair ornaments? Hair accessories are one of the best parts of the Jojo look.

e: All the Mikitaka redraws are phenomenal though.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 2, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
What are you looking at

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh man, I see what the gently caress I thought was wrong with Kosaku's model in the original tv version, the loving hair, they had hosed it so bad, thank god the blu ray fixed it

part 4 was getting very QUALITY near the end, just like part 3 did. kind of wish they'd get their budget done a bit better so they'd still have money for the money shot, so to speak

edit: that one was the most QUALITY of all

https://jojocomparisons.github.io/jojo-diu-26/

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 2, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

These moments of weird animation and such are almost never an indication of "running out of money" and more an indication of scheduling issues and deadlines, shortcuts being taken with the understanding of "We'll fix it on the BD"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah it's certainly less a budget issue and more We Had To Make An Episode A Week For 39 Weeks For A Dynamic, Flashy Action Series And gently caress Anime Is Hard To Make

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
kind of wish it had been every two weeks instead then, spread the goods

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Moltrey posted:

yeah it's certainly less a budget issue and more We Had To Make An Episode A Week For 39 Weeks For A Dynamic, Flashy Action Series And gently caress Anime Is Hard To Make

Perhaps More Money To Pay More Animators Would Have Helped

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Even a week off every 13th episode would've maybe helped. My Hero Academia took a week off and that's only a 25 episode season.

MHA and JoJo def seem to be starting more of a trend of getting away from long running shonen shows, and just having a show every year for a couple months, and even they still run outta steam. Either way, it avoids the One Piece anime problem of every episode being only a chapter's worth of content, maybe even less to fill time. I imagine Dragon Ball Super avoids this problem entirely by just not being based off a manga but I haven't gotten to it yet

e: I mean, yes, please pay your animators, I have no idea what David Productions is like, but please pay your animators, your editors, your drafters, your sound engineers, your colorers, your voice actors. But even with all the money in the world, there are still limits to the human body and what you can get done in a weekly format.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It did have the problem in the first two arcs when they were adapting the movies (Goku vs. Beerus is a goddamn trial in Super), but yeah, since it's original content from there, they're gold.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Waffleman_ posted:

It did have the problem in the first two arcs when they were adapting the movies (Goku vs. Beerus is a goddamn trial in Super), but yeah, since it's original content from there, they're gold.

I wouldn't call them gold by any means (the pacing of the Zamasu stuff is all over the loving place), but the show does get a lot better once they stopped basing it off something that already existed. It was really weird to watch the BoG stuff dubbed because it felt like an entirely different show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Perhaps More Money To Pay More Animators Would Have Helped

They absolutely deserve to be paid more, and having more money to pay more animators would help, but the reason why this happens with just about every weekly show, especially long running weekly shows, is the ridiculous schedule these productions are on, as indicated.

Animators should ABSOLUTELY get paid more though.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do we know what's happening in Jojolion yet?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That blog with the BD comparisons is super interesting and SUPER disappointing that none of the Part 3 eps are done!

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Oof. So in the VIZ panel the one big announcement was Toonami, which we already knew.

This poor audience, of course they wouldn't be able to announce anything about pt 5 but every "MAJOR ANIME ANNOUNCEMENT" would get a gasp out of them.

The pose-off was cute as always but my favorite part is the fact that they don't want to acknowledge other parts so no way was the Trish that came out and absolutely nailed a wrrrry pose gonna win. They 100% didn't know who Johnny was or why he was crawling.

e: they did name a voice actor for iggy, I guess. And honestly I was impressed by the way the dub voices for Hol and Polnareff sounded.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 3, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Where Are The loving Part 4 Volumes Viz

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Where Are The loving Part 4 Volumes Viz

The weirdest part was that they emphasized during the panel that fans pushing helped get SDC on toonami

I mean they'd probably say that no matter what but at the same time was I wrong in thinking SDC was a foregone conclusion for toonami, they were just waiting to get more of the dub ready?

I should have known better than to get my hopes up but I figured after last years's "person at viz said to another person pt 4 volumes are coming" maybe we'd actually get something

Oh that reminds me, Kotaku interviewed Kewl0210 - the guy whose team translates jojolion, amongst other things - about ~piracy~ and all that (hope someone didn't already link that and my brain blipped)
http://kotaku.com/manga-pirates-are-having-trouble-going-legit-1796553894

I'm not into the idea of someone making a living off scanlations but IDK, it's a little more complicated than "every single scanlator is ruining everything!" when honestly any scanlation I read is actually for something that is either not published in the US, period, or is way behind. Scanlations have helped grow the JoJo fanbase IMHO.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They weren't waiting for the dub, they got AOT which has a much higher viewer base than Jojo.

Though they could have been talking about Jojo in general.