Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

BlazetheInferno posted:

Plus, that "ADVENT VIP on PR tour" mission was bugged for a while and spawned no enemies, and often in those cases would not tick the timer down, making them a game-stopper, forcing you to reload a save from before you started the mission. No idea if he fixed that.

I have never been able to successfully replicate this.

Like ironically I've been able to repeatedly get a bug nobody else tends to report (the timer trigger not firing when you do a concealment ambush, so you get to clear the area of enemies and only start the timer once you kill/knock down the VIP), but I've never been able to get both "spawned no enemies" and the timer just breaking entirely, and I have yet to see the latter at all. (Granted I don't use configurable timer mods in my 400+ mod order monstrosity, so the issue may be a conflict with them?)

I mean I've managed to replicate the no enemies bug on its own but as far as I could figure it was due to XCOM 2 really not liking when alterations are made to an already altered XComMissions.ini. A few times it works fine, other times it throws a complete shitfit and doesn't successfully load everything unless you force XCOM 2 to regenerate XComMIssions.ini from scratch with your latest mod order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Coolguye posted:

i will admit that without vahlen there it's not as fun to figure on what exactly they do to get the intel out of them at the avenger

I still love that the first thing Vahlen does without X-COM is genetic experimentation. :allears:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

none of my created characters have shown up as VIPs or Dark VIPs even though the boxes are ticked :( I just wanted to have my Macho Man gunner take down the Hulkster

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses
On the bottom part there should be an option to assign the character pool to focus mostly on randomly generated soldiers, mix match or only from the character pool. (Also check among the random recruits he may be waiting for you there)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I beat Enemy Within for the first time, normal difficulty, and honestly the first thing I wanna do is jump back in with a new campaign. Does anyone have any recommendations for second wave options? Definitely going with Training Roulette, though I'm not sure if I want to combine it with Not Created Equally/Hidden Potential.

I actually had a question about New Economy specifically: is the total amount of possible funding you'd receive the same as a normal game? Or is it possible for the entire council to lowball you?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

legoman727 posted:

I still love that the first thing Vahlen does without X-COM is genetic experimentation. :allears:

One of the only times I liked Tygan was when you do the autopsies on the rulers and his lab reports are basically "WHY" written 75 times in a row

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like Tygan a lot, he was surprisingly hardcore.

Dude did open brain surgery on himself.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They kept the right blood in XCOM 2. Bradford and Shen. Miss We Have Ways has to go.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bogart posted:

They kept the right blood in XCOM 2. Bradford and Shen. Miss We Have Ways has to go.

*crashes thru skylight like batman & looks twice as angry*

herd u were talkin poo poo

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Not now, Vahlen, the adults are talking. Here, an Operation board game and a Tamagotchi.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
she didnt want you to use explosives

because she wanted them all for herself :devil:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

pun pundit posted:

The kill option is there because sometimes you can't quite make the turn limit if you have to knock out and carry the VIP to the extraction zone. Killing the VIP in that situation lets you salvage something off the mission.

On normal, it's 12 turns for an extraction. I need to play on hard, I guess, because I have never been close to running out of time except for when I'm trying to feed kills to underleveled troops

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the turn limit does not change per your difficulty, but the junk you have to face during those turns does.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
is there a definitive collection/list or mod to provide a long-war like experience yet?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

a better advent is as close as you're gonna get

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

pun pundit posted:

The kill option is there because sometimes you can't quite make the turn limit if you have to knock out and carry the VIP to the extraction zone. Killing the VIP in that situation lets you salvage something off the mission.

If you're far enough along (and RNG is a little kind to you) there is a third option, dominate them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm actually waiting and playing other games while I wait for A Better ADVENT 2.0. Also, unless he mixes in the functionality, I recommend playing with the Long War Toolbox. From what I understand, so does he once 2.0 comes out, as apparently it's gonna be balanced around squads of 6-8.

As for Dark VIP's, I'm pretty sure that character pool option to ONLY choose from the character pool doesn't do poo poo for VIPs and Dark VIP's. I've had it set to character pool ONLY for a few campaigns now (most of them abandoned due to finding shiny new mods or getting bored of XCom temporarily), and I have only ever seen a small few of my characters show up as VIP's or Dark VIPs, and a lot of them are set to be able to.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, does anyone know what happened with the Memorial Pool mod? It seems to be gone now, or at least hidden.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

QuantaStarFire posted:

So, uh, does anyone know what happened with the Memorial Pool mod? It seems to be gone now, or at least hidden.

No longer necessary. You can add dead soldiers to the Character Pool from their plaque in the bar.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I finally finished an X-COM campaign.

MVP for me was this dude here.

He was part of my B-Team for a long time, getting very little training for most of the campaign until he stepped up for A-Team duty near the end. Despite coming in late and having a pretty meh AWC skill, his roguish charm and great clown job earned him a spot on the final mission and he clinched it by making the most important Run and Gun of his life. And then mooning the camera during the end sequence. Oh clown.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

none of my created characters have shown up as VIPs or Dark VIPs even though the boxes are ticked :( I just wanted to have my Macho Man gunner take down the Hulkster

I had the best Dark VIP. When the game first came out I remade my victorious EW squad in the soldier creator and ticked the boxes. My internal canon was that these guys were badasses and should be still around in this alt universe.

First Dark VIP was my volunteer. :spooky:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

finally finished XCOM 2 (vanilla), thankfully. What a slog.

Well, the ending was surprisingly lackluster in explaining what the gently caress was going on. Are there any elaborations on it? I feel that I have missed most of the stuff. Like:

- Why the gently caress the commander is called "betrayer"?
- Why there were two ethereals speaking, one seemingly benevolent and other RIP AND TEAR?
- Why they kept humans in the ocean complex?
- Were they making avatars so they could bypass the whole "our bodies are decaying" thing?
- Stuff like that in general honestly

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Transmetropolitan posted:

finally finished XCOM 2 (vanilla), thankfully. What a slog.

Well, the ending was surprisingly lackluster in explaining what the gently caress was going on. Are there any elaborations on it? I feel that I have missed most of the stuff. Like:

- Why the gently caress the commander is called "betrayer"?
- Why there were two ethereals speaking, one seemingly benevolent and other RIP AND TEAR?
- Why they kept humans in the ocean complex?
- Were they making avatars so they could bypass the whole "our bodies are decaying" thing?
- Stuff like that in general honestly

-Dunno, guess they feel kinda miffed one of their test subjects turned on them?
-No clue, perhaps a plot hook for a sequel (turns out that the pyschic hivemind wasn't a hivemind and had factions!)
-To experiment on them and learn about them.
-That's exactly it.
-Stuff. Things.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Alkydere posted:

-Dunno, guess they feel kinda miffed one of their test subjects turned on them?

There's a theory floating around that the Commander is actually possessed by the rogue Ethereal from THE BUREAU (which goes missing in the ending of that game and whose current wherabouts are UNKNOWN (and then the XCOM:EU theme song plays before the screen fades out)). That would explain why the invading forces would want to specifically capture him and use him as a "super strategy processor" for the Advent troopers. Would also help explain why the Commander is later on the only individual capable of withstanding the psionic network and to be transferred to the Avatar body.

Alkydere posted:

-No clue, perhaps a plot hook for a sequel (turns out that the pyschic hivemind wasn't a hivemind and had factions!)

Before the Boss Ethereal becomes the "Angelis Ethereal" (or something like that), I think he wonders about "maybe there's some way you'll fear me less so I can convince you?", and immediately the "Angelis" form enters the scene. So my guess would be that it's just an alternate presentation in the hopes of convincing XCOM to give up. The Freakish Alien Boss Brain in the original XCOM attempts a final negotiation once it's clear XCOM has won, too.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

On Steam, whats the difference between the digital Deluxe Edition and the regular edition? considering picking it up seeing as its on sale, but its not listing what benefits the DD edition gives.

Edit: Does it come with all the DLC is that how it works? not much point in the base game then at the minute when this is just 2 quid more.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 1, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Andre Banzai posted:

There's a theory floating around that the Commander is actually possessed by the rogue Ethereal from THE BUREAU (which goes missing in the ending of that game and whose current wherabouts are UNKNOWN (and then the XCOM:EU theme song plays before the screen fades out)). That would explain why the invading forces would want to specifically capture him and use him as a "super strategy processor" for the Advent troopers. Would also help explain why the Commander is later on the only individual capable of withstanding the psionic network and to be transferred to the Avatar body.

While it is the most likely theory, I thought The Bureau was non-canon as far as the Firaxis games were concerned?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's the game + Season Pass + Soundtrack. I think it also gave you the Resistance Warrior Pack at one point, though that could have been only for people who ordered during the launch window.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

While it is the most likely theory, I thought The Bureau was non-canon as far as the Firaxis games were concerned?

EXALT is literally bureau remnants so that's not the case. That said there's big swaths of details from the game that are not acknowledged so :shrug:

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Any big mods that require the Alien Hunters DLC, or can I safely skip it? It doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Coolguye posted:

EXALT is literally bureau remnants so that's not the case. That said there's big swaths of details from the game that are not acknowledged so :shrug:

EXALT is Bureau remnants wat what?? wha?/wahT/??

And by the way I have no idea one way or another, I just read that theory somewhere and thought I'd share. I don't even like that theory that much to be frank. :-\

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Andre Banzai posted:

EXALT is Bureau remnants wat what?? wha?/wahT/??

And by the way I have no idea one way or another, I just read that theory somewhere and thought I'd share. I don't even like that theory that much to be frank. :-\

I didn't know that, but it makes some sense, given their "uniforms" and how a well organized, covert army magic-ed itself into existence

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Foulbrood posted:

Any big mods that require the Alien Hunters DLC, or can I safely skip it? It doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

I picked up the new weapons and them the boss aliens and their mission never appeared so you might get lucky like me!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I picked up the new weapons and them the boss aliens and their mission never appeared so you might get lucky like me!

You can never upgrade those weapons though unless you do the mission (which requires scanning for, I think, Big Sky's crash site or something?) Having the upgraded pistol on your Gunslinger and axe on your Ranger is helpful, the suits are neat, but rulers ugh.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
EXALT doesn't actually exist, though, since they're only in the simulation that the Commander underwent before getting rescued. It's possible the elders put EXALT into the simulation to learn how to hunt down the Bureau remnants, though.

The Commander was captured a few weeks into the invasion, and is wired up to the aliens' strategic grid. He undergoes countless VR combat simulations so the aliens can gather combat data; those simulations are what you're actually doing in the XCOM:EW.

ALSO: the suit that the commander is plugged into the simulation with is the same type of suit that the Elders are using to plug into the Avatars. For whatever reason, not fully explained yet, the Commander is a candidate to become an Avatar and lead the aliens. There's two likely possibilities:
1) A rogue ethereal possessed the Commander, tying the game to The Bureau or
2) They melded the Commander with an ethereal on purpose, and the commander is so badass that he dominates the ethereal instead of vice versa.

Which way you want to read it depends on who you think the ethereal voice in your head in the last mission wants you to rip and tear.

Either way, the Elders are pissed because they invested a lot of time and effort into your ungrateful rear end, and you're killing the gently caress out of them.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
If you have the DLC it gives you the option of enabling the narrative content, if you don't enable them the SPARK from Shen's Last Gift appears in the Proving Ground, I think you just get given the Alien Hunters weaponry which can be upgraded with the mission turned off but you do not get the armours IIRC with the AH mission on you can't upgrade without doing the mission.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Don't suppose anyones made a mod yet that re-introduces the pure insanity that was the auto-cannon with incendiary ammunition from the original 1990's series of X-COM?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

You can never upgrade those weapons though unless you do the mission (which requires scanning for, I think, Big Sky's crash site or something?) Having the upgraded pistol on your Gunslinger and axe on your Ranger is helpful, the suits are neat, but rulers ugh.

Oh, they're upgradable? I left them to kinda late game and they're all outclassed so that explains that. I guess the mission still has some time to pop up but I feel like it might have bugged out at this point.

(To clarify I have the narrative content on and have scanned the crash site and retrieved the weapons, nothing new appeared )

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
How long has it been? It does take a few days, maybe even a few weeks for the next scan site to appear.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I played a couple Ironman/Classic (Veteran? The one below Impossible) of XCOM 2 when it was pretty new, before any DLCs came out. It was pretty fun, but there were a few bugs and I also didn't really have the time/energy to burn on lost campaigns at the time. Have all the DLCs come out now? Do they make the game easier like Enemy Within did for the first game, or do they throw a kind of difficult mission that you'll probably lose if you haven't prepared for, like the Slingshot DLC did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
They're all out.

The first DLC is pure cosmetics for your soldiers.

The second DLC adds some *EXTREMELY* Powerful enemies that, once activated, show up pretty much at random and will kick your poo poo in if you're not ready to change tactics *IMMEDIATELY* to deal with them. You also get four unique weapons/items with neat effects and quirks.

The third DLC adds a somewhat difficult, but extremely fun and sometimes hilarious and at one point emotional mission that gives you the ability to make this game's version of the MEC trooper. Doesn't feel quite as awesome though, to be honest.

Note that if you download/activate the DLC, they will give you the option to activate them in any saved game you might load that's already in progress. This will NOT enable the missions that came with them. The "Alien Rulers" will just start showing up, and I don't personally know if the game just hands you the special weapons or if you still have to do the special scan site for them. Also, you'll have to build your first SPARK at cost instead of getting it as a mission reward.

I would honestly recommend NOT activating them in a save game, and starting a new campaign with this in mind.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 2, 2016