Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

mirarant posted:

Bugs are usually pretty easy for me but just had a spicy lvl 8 where the game decided that 99% of spawns will be little bugs all the time. One bug breach would result in a rolling carpet of jumping death, bad time to not bring a gatling/machine gun sentry.
I've had defense missions that decided they would spawn nothing but hunters and pouncers for minutes at a time. Would have been literally impossible to keep up if the fire hadn't been working and I wasn't running my fire breaker out of ammo between supply cooldowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What's the best weapon against Berserkers? Those are always the enemies I struggle with the most, primary or support. Is there an unintuitive spot to take them down faster with the Autocannon?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You can sickle 3 berserkers in the hip per reload, AC is kind of a waste since you can just kite them. Alternatively use the plasma gun or the new fangled bolt explosive weapon

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

What are people unlocking for the first T4 ship upgrade? Appreciate most of them are broken but I can't decide between investing in the support supply box thing (in the hopes it gets fixed soon) or the extra Eagle bomb.

welcome to heck

The most shriekers I've ever seen, I couldn't even fit them all on one screen.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dyz posted:

Best strat for the factory dog is to blow up the 2 front machine guns then rush it to get out of range of the top cannon and unload into the belly.
Why not just shoot it in the face if you've already broken the machineguns? Usually much less risky positioning.

https://i.imgur.com/15XyQf5.mp4

Lobok posted:

What's the best weapon against Berserkers? Those are always the enemies I struggle with the most, primary or support. Is there an unintuitive spot to take them down faster with the Autocannon?
Honestly, breaker or sickle, aiming at the waist. Or spray their waist with redeemer. Breaker is an acquired taste against bots for obvious reasons, your support/secondary have to cover longer ranges quite well.
Autocannon isn't that good against them broadly speaking. As far as support weapons go I'd rather shoot their waist with AMR.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The Punisher is also really solid vs berserkers since it staggers and pushes them back

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

hit the squad with an impact grenade as they charge then spray them down with your redeemer

alternatively if you're doing the fortified armor + eruptor combo you can dive backwards/shoot at the ground just behind the lead berserker a few times and take out the whole pod with shrapnel over the course of a few leaps

johnny park posted:

The Punisher is also really solid vs berserkers since it staggers and pushes them back

this is the actual answer, ordinary punisher trivializes anything less than a dozen berserkers

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

LazyMaybe posted:

Why not just shoot it in the face if you've already broken the machineguns? Usually much less risky positioning.

https://i.imgur.com/15XyQf5.mp4

bigger spot to aim at so you can fire as fast as possible, and its only a couple more steps forwards.

Also idk if the JAR can pen the eye.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

piano chimp posted:

What are people unlocking for the first T4 ship upgrade? Appreciate most of them are broken but I can't decide between investing in the support supply box thing (in the hopes it gets fixed soon) or the extra Eagle bomb.

welcome to heck

The most shriekers I've ever seen, I couldn't even fit them all on one screen.

i dont know if its a glitch or intended, but the eagle upgrade adds an extra eagle airstrike bomb to the listed eagles. its pretty nuts

i also like the arc upgrade but thats because im an arc whore that will bring it on almost every mission

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i dont know if its a glitch or intended, but the eagle upgrade adds an extra eagle airstrike bomb to the listed eagles. its pretty nuts

Wait what? So I get a free eagle airstrike bomb in my clusters with the upgrade?

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Slyphic posted:

Any jetpack mains have some sage advice on how to make it useful? I've been playing with it this week, and it's just not clicking with me. Can't seem to reliably make it over gorges, barely makes a difference in scaling heights, the only thing I'm really getting out of it is fall arrest and even then I'm flubbing that one some of the time.

Start charging Quasar right after jumping to whip it around and fire just after landing. I am of the opinion that there's no real way to leverage the Jetpack to make it truly competitive against the Laser Dog for bugs.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I've been loving life ever since getting the Eruptor. Doubly so after figuring out extra techniques like shooting the ground to turn it into a shotgun against chaff. It's just so good. And I love how it frees up the back slot for dogs/shields/whatever. No special revelations, just having the time of my life.

I'm still unlocking a bunch of poo poo, but is there ever any reason to use the AR dog over the laser dog?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

Wait what? So I get a free eagle airstrike bomb in my clusters with the upgrade?

Correct.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Explosionface posted:

I've been loving life ever since getting the Eruptor. Doubly so after figuring out extra techniques like shooting the ground to turn it into a shotgun against chaff. It's just so good. And I love how it frees up the back slot for dogs/shields/whatever. No special revelations, just having the time of my life.

I'm still unlocking a bunch of poo poo, but is there ever any reason to use the AR dog over the laser dog?

it kills things noticably better while its firing. in practice, it's not enough of an advantage.; the laser dog's eternal uptime (which is probably a bug) reigns supreme.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Explosionface posted:

If you want a shitter dog.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lobok posted:

imo, as with most automatons you shoot them in the nuts with the explosive jar dominator

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you're probably right that JAR is the best primary against them tbh, it has the good stagger but unlike punisher it has good raw dps

Dyz posted:

bigger spot to aim at so you can fire as fast as possible, and its only a couple more steps forwards.
It can be quite a bit more forward, depending. you don't have to be very close for the top cannon to be unable to hit you and moving closer often puts you in other bot's line of fire

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 24, 2024

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

It also means if you toss a cluster with the upgrade on a bot fab it can blow it up. Theoretically a bug hole, too, but even on the larger target of a bot fab I found it only hit maybe 2/3rds of the time.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

piano chimp posted:

definitely the arc upgrade

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Both the arc and flamethrower upgrades are incredibly strong if you like using those weapons.

The barrage upgrade is a lot better than it looks on paper and makes them viable picks if you're tired of airstrikes all the time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
We actually...are going to win the MO? The bug offensive is over and there's 2 easy defense on the bot front today.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You said it out loud...

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Sindai posted:

…if you're tired of airstrikes all the time.
:mods:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Maybe you're just a lot better than me but I don't think the heavy antitank options fire fast enough to clear out all the gunships. RR especially because the reload will get you killed. I don't even know why you would bring heavy antitank against bots when medium penetration weapons kill pretty much everything they have. It would be the niche case where you really want to shot a tank turret straight on.

You are correct that AP5 is largely unnessicary vs. robots, and overall pretty inefficient vs. Gunships compared to AP4 weapons.

But my point was what exactly are you bringing if you don't have any AP5 or AP4 options to deal with gunships?

Like I run the GPMG vs. Bots, but I always bring EATs because being literally unable to meaningfully contribute to Gunships/AV4/5 outside shooting vents with a scorcher if your teammates cooperate isn't really viable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Infidelicious posted:

You are correct that AP5 is largely unnessicary vs. robots, and overall pretty inefficient vs. Gunships compared to AP4 weapons.

But my point was what exactly are you bringing if you don't have any AP5 or AP4 options to deal with gunships?

Like I run the GPMG vs. Bots, but I always bring EATs because being literally unable to meaningfully contribute to Gunships/AV4/5 outside shooting vents with a scorcher if your teammates cooperate isn't really viable.

yeah see your problem is wanting to meaningfully contribute

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Failed some Bot 9 tower defense miserably last night and was left wondering how to deal with the conga line of bile titans.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Heavy AT weapons and 500kg bombs, lasers do nothing quickly because their backs are armoured to poo poo

e: this is also why the rail cannon strike nearly never kills a bile titan

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Heavy AT weapons and 500kg bombs, lasers do nothing quickly because their backs are armoured to poo poo

e: this is also why the rail cannon strike nearly never kills a bile titan

we tried that lol, the game was just throwing endless titans at us and we ran out of anti tank tools

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Infidelicious posted:

The point with gunships has never been about being able to shoot one down - one gunship isn't a big deal at all with your standard anti bot weapons. My point is that gunships swarm builds up too fast - one person dedicated to a tower might be able to clean up but that implies that he's not missing, getting bounced by a rocket, distracted by patrols, etc. And unlike ground patrols, there is no stratagem panic button that resets the area. Ground patrols get wild, you can throw an airstrike or orbital laser. Gunship density gets wild and your team just gets to die a lot until you get far away enough to clean up the ones chasing you.

I mean you guys can wave your big dicks around about how good you are at the game, but my personal opinion gunship towers are just a bit too much right now just like the evac missions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

AP1-AP5? Is this a tiered enemy armor system?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Potato Salad posted:

AP1-AP5? Is this a tiered enemy armor system?

Armor Pen on weapons is on a scale between 1 and 10. 10 bring stuff like orbital strats and the various rocket launchers. 1-4 being the primaries in some form or another

No this is not explained anywhere in the game why do you ask? :v:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Lobok posted:

Breaker and it isn't close!

Arglebargle III posted:

Failed some Bot 9 tower defense miserably last night and was left wondering how to deal with the conga line of bile titans.

Quasar + EATs

Just drop EATs on cooldown and swap to them once your quasar is dry and there are more titan faces to shoot. Pretty heavily reliant on having a good team behind you helping out.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Post ur #1 flexible loadout

Eagle airstrike (all purpose)
Quasar (AT)
Orbital/gatling turret/mortar (support type depends on mission type)
Lazer guard dog for bugs/shield for bots (survivability)
Sickle (unlimited ammo)
Senator (cool factor 100%)
Medium armor with 50% chance to survive a death (survivability/stamina middle ground)

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Sindai posted:

We actually...are going to win the MO? The bug offensive is over and there's 2 easy defense on the bot front today.

No, no we aren't. Half the playerbase is going to HELLMIRE rather than fighting robots lmao

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

The point with gunships has never been about being able to shoot one down - one gunship isn't a big deal at all with your standard anti bot weapons. My point is that gunships swarm builds up too fast

They don't build up too fast if you're actually shooting them down, is the point.

One person with a scorcher can kill 4 of them in 4 reloads, one person with a laser cannon can kill 2 of them in 4-6 seconds.

if your drop or attempt to take out the fab is so hosed or disorganized that you can't deal with them and whatever else is there... that sucks but you get 20 lives for a reason.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

yeah see your problem is wanting to meaningfully contribute

Buy less candles.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Infidelicious posted:

They don't build up too fast if you're actually shooting them down, is the point.

One person with a scorcher can kill 4 of them in 4 reloads, one person with a laser cannon can kill 2 of them in 4-6 seconds.

if your drop or attempt to take out the fab is so hosed or disorganized that you can't deal with them and whatever else is there... that sucks but you get 20 lives for a reason.

Spear is also pretty good at taking them out from a distance outside of their range. Seems like I never have any problem locking onto those at least.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

Eagle airstrike (all purpose)
Quasar (AT)
Orbital/gatling turret/mortar (support type depends on mission type)
Lazer guard dog for bugs/shield for bots (survivability)
Sickle (unlimited ammo)
Senator (cool factor 100%)
Medium armor with 50% chance to survive a death (survivability/stamina middle ground)

If I had to pick only one loadout that I had to use for both bots and bugs, it would probably be

Medium stealth armour
Eruptor
Redeemer
Stun grenades
Quasar
Airstrike
500kg
EMS mortar

Lack of laser dog will be rough on bugs but can't justify taking it on bots.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Eason the Fifth posted:

Bugs
Arc Thrower, Quasar, Jetpack, Napalm
Quasar is just an EAT you can hold for more than one shot

My bot loadout changes all the time. Shield + Laser Cannon has been pretty fun but not as dominant as autocannon + anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

for bugs: Eruptor, Laser Dog, EAT or Flamethrower, Eagle Napalm, Orbital Airburst
for bots: Scorcher, Autocannon, Mortar or EMS Sentry, Eagle Airstrike, Orbital Laser

Redeemer and Stun Grenades on both