Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

That's like 15 to 20 days in summer in Sevilla. Being over 40°C is just the norm in here. It sucks and you can only hide from it with air conditioning at home and also pay a gently caress all bill because we got a 44% increase on the price of electricity.

Hint: do not come to the south of Spain during summer to a city with no beach.

The PNW rarely gets above 100 in the summer, and if Portland is anything like Seattle a lot of houses don’t have AC. Hope BP is staying cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

The PNW rarely gets above 100 in the summer, and if Portland is anything like Seattle a lot of houses don’t have AC. Hope BP is staying cool.

Gonna be interesting riding my bike to work tomorrow. Projected to be 100º by 10am, and by the time I'm riding to work between 2-3pm it will be 116º

I've been in weather that hot in northern India, but I've never ridden a bike in it. :sweatdrop:

edit; also, I appreciate the concern, y'all. Doin my best, and I'm lucky overall. It breaks my fuckin heart to see people sleeping on the street during all this. I've been giving money and water whenever possible but there are just so many.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 28, 2021

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gonna be interesting riding my bike to work tomorrow. Projected to be 100º by 10am, and by the time I'm riding to work between 2-3pm it will be 116º

I've been in weather that hot in northern India, but I've never ridden a bike in it. :sweatdrop:

edit; also, I appreciate the concern, y'all. Doin my best, and I'm lucky overall. It breaks my fuckin heart to see people sleeping on the street during all this. I've been giving money and water whenever possible but there are just so many.

Holy gently caress. Stay hydrated beanman.

I grew up in Phoenix and I never want to live anywhere that regularly gets that hot ever again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmao it's 2:30am and 87º out

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lmao it's 2:30am and 87º out

:chanpop:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

moving to a cold place was the best thing I ever did. I went from tropical heat where the nights are hosed up and sticky and gross to a place where it gets hosed hot for like a couple days but then it immediately cools off. Brisbane sucks rear end.

I’m not suffering humidity again unless I’m in New Orleans getting crooked off of frozen drinks and eating fried oysters.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Never have I love Britain's grey cold skies so much

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RareAcumen posted:

Also you're dealing with lycans in RE8. You haven't had to deal with straight up zombies since like, 6 I think? I don't know about the side games. 4 had Las Plagas, 5 was Majini but 6 had actual normal zombies in Leon's campaign at the very least I'm sure.

You've not had to deal with just zombies since resident evil 1 in 1996. Theres only been 2 mainline games (and i guess rev 1, cos even rev2 had zombies) to feature no romero zombies, they switch it to voodoo type zombies instead.

Its hard to believe but it really is the most consistent series to date. They only changed the camera angles and added in wwf moves sometimes.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though if you want Japanese history then Japanese invasion of Korea is interesting if a bid later and involves both Korea and China

That game idea sounds like an international incident waiting to happen

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Never have I love Britain's grey cold skies so much

Yeah Ive never minded the weather in the UK, the only problem with it is being socially obligated to complain about it

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

nachos posted:

I think ghost of Tsushima is 10 hours too long so I’m with you there. But I’m also not a content/dollar type of person. Most AC players probably are and don’t mind the length.

I liked Tsushima with some reservations but I think it's easily 50% too long if not more. There should have only been one island at most.

Excessively long games like AC completely broke people's brains on what is "too long", IMO. If it's longer than 20-30 hours it's too long. At 50+ hours it's definitely padded. At 100+ you're just seeing copy-pasted stuff everywhere and content is often not even clearing the bar of engaging, not to mention interesting or worth playing.

Saying this as someone who liked the Witcher 3 :negative: Though to be honest, I can't get to finishing the DLC despite it being one of my favorites games ever, because it's just way too loving long for me to ever replay.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 28, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

20C and the suns out and I'm thinking 'phew, bit warm'

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Vikar Jerome posted:

You've not had to deal with just zombies since resident evil 1 in 1996.
You mean there's been other enemy types since the first game? Well yeah but until 4 the Romero zombies were the standard enemies, and for the last two numbered games they've not really had zombies. The usual molded in 7 acted like zombies but weren't humans, the blood drained sword people in 8 looked like zombies but used swords. Zombies don't use swords! Occasional they may hold a gun and shoot it randomly though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though if you want Japanese history then Japanese invasion of Korea is interesting if a bid later and involves both Korea and China

That's probably never going to happen since it's an extremely sore subject to this day in Korea

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AC Odyssey had some of the worst voice acting in a AAA game I've ever seen. 99% of the NPCs were extremely over the top Greek stereotypes that sounded like Rob Schneider in the you like-a the juice? SNL sketch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That's probably never going to happen since it's an extremely sore subject to this day in Korea

The invasion of 1587?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

The invasion of 1587?

I doubt anything involving Japan and Korea would be warmly received in Korea regardless of time period

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

AC Odyssey had some of the worst voice acting in a AAA game I've ever seen. 99% of the NPCs were extremely over the top Greek stereotypes that sounded like Rob Schneider in the you like-a the juice? SNL sketch

Ubisoft games in general have diabolical voice acting. Bring back Michael Ironside!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Quantum of Phallus posted:

which thread veteran, nay, thread LEGEND, wants to mail me a copy of Resi8 across the atlantic

if you are serious I could handle it at cost.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Akuma posted:

You mean there's been other enemy types since the first game? Well yeah but until 4 the Romero zombies were the standard enemies, and for the last two numbered games they've not really had zombies. The usual molded in 7 acted like zombies but weren't humans, the blood drained sword people in 8 looked like zombies but used swords. Zombies don't use swords! Occasional they may hold a gun and shoot it randomly though.

oh yeah forgot about 7*, so thats 3. and yeah zombies were only ever the first tier enemies along with the zombie dogs, and then you had giant spiders, hunters, the flea things, sharks, crows none of them were zombies and thats canon.

8 is 100% zombies with swords and poo poo, they straight up bite you and eat you and its the same animations from re2r. they are classes as zombies internally too iirc from the leak. so the last 3 released games have had zombies in.

i cant remember why were talking about this but yeah lol.

*a case could be made for a different type of voodoo zombies than that of 4/5 too, controlling jack and the family.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 28, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Question about RE8 (spoil it in case for other folk). Is it semi-open world?

I spoiled myself a bit with some sort of hub zone and you have to take on four "bosses" and you can do it in any order. Was wondering if it's not as linear as RE7.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I spoiled myself a bit with some sort of hub zone and you have to take on four "bosses" and you can do it in any order. Was wondering if it's not as linear as RE7.

you cant do it any order no, but it feels open, at the least the village but its very metroidvaniary like prior evils. i wouldn't say its linear because there are times you get to explore for secrets and poo poo or go back and find stuff you missed and theres subtle changes (like 7)

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 28, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cheers, thank you! Was just curious about that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
4 had the romero house setpiece despite also having this:

so I don't know what to believe any more

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
4 is when they started moving away from zombies towards more generic action game bad guys.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

4 is when they started moving away from zombies towards more generic action game bad guys.

cept they didnt move away in the slightest but okay lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

in 7 you fight shambling undead monsters that might as well be zombies

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The idea that zombies aren’t overused in video games is pretty fuckin insane lol

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Guillermus posted:

Most RE games are open in a sense that you have to figure out what is the correct path and you can go out of your way to find secrets / supplies.

RE8 isn't really different but the village setting does give it a more open feeling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
RE8 is basically Zelda, you have a central area you have permanent access to and "dungeons" that unlock in a fixed sequence one at a time and can also be revisited at any time you aren't already deep inside a different one

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was never really willing to consider “a whole mess of zombies” a separate game mechanic from “zombies” so the idea that Days Gone or World War Z we’re doing anything special really holds no water.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah sure like Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising etc were doing that years ago

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vikar Jerome posted:

cept they didnt move away in the slightest but okay lol

4, 5 and 6 nominally feature zombie-like enemies but they start using weapons and poo poo so I definitely see where that poster is coming from. Like, in all those games there's parts where the zombies straight-up use guns.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish Dead Rising hadn't poo poo itself, 2 was so good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
my biggest gaming shame is not having the fortitude to get the mega blaster in dead rising

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

I was never really willing to consider “a whole mess of zombies” a separate game mechanic from “zombies” so the idea that Days Gone or World War Z we’re doing anything special really holds no water.

Did you play Days Gone or fight any of the hordes?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Why would anyone do that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Yes I played Days Gone for about 25 hours and I have a pretty medium-high opinion of it. I liked the combat, I love horse games and this is a very good horse game, I really like Deacon because a violent lunatic covered in biker tattoos mumbling to himself is very resonant for me.

But the “hordes” are just basically treating a lot of zombies on the screen as one large enemy that requires heavy weaponry to engage, and that’s something games have been doing since, like, Castlevania?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t even think that’s what CharlestheHammer was saying. Someone misinterpreted it and everyone ran with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

moving to a cold place was the best thing I ever did. I went from tropical heat where the nights are hosed up and sticky and gross to a place where it gets hosed hot for like a couple days but then it immediately cools off. Brisbane sucks rear end.

I’m not suffering humidity again unless I’m in New Orleans getting crooked off of frozen drinks and eating fried oysters.

Climate change is a bitch called gaea, and she's coming for us all. Portland's 'standard' weather cycle is 270+ days of rain and rather cool summers, and it was that way for more than 30 years of my life. The last half decade has demonstrated a remarkable shift from cool, wet, place, to an environment that experiences the rapid onset of extreme weather in either direction at least several times a year (crazy wind and ice storms that we never had before, insane wildfires, etc), before going back to drizzly rain. Such changes will spare no place on earth in the coming century. If PDX becomes too inhospitable to live in the next 2 decades then I'd prolly move to Detroit, but holy poo poo even Michigan is going to experience insane climate shift int he next few decades. Some predict that Michigan will be where the new wine industry ends up, that is if we don't completely ruin the entire possibility of functional agriculture on this continent very soon, which is more than likely when looking at the state of the topsoil.

edit; 99º at 9:28am :kingsley: