Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t even think that’s what CharlestheHammer was saying. Someone misinterpreted it and everyone ran with it

lol this is exactly what venix3 was posting about the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stay cool BP. It’s 90 degrees with a heat index around 100 here on the east coast

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010
I finally finished RE8 this weekend. That was a darn good video game. If the remake of 2 wasn't so good, I'd probably rate this as my favourite RE. I'm a little annoyed that I missed one fish along the way and didn't get all the upgrades, but I was basically unstoppable with what I did have unlocked, so I didn't need the extra health.

Really excited to see what they do with the series next and am excited for more of Ethan's daughter's story!

Now to finish the playthrough of FF7r I put on hold to play Village!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

[Portland weather]

My boss, wife, and kid went up to Portland for the first time ever towards the end of May. They'd never been, but knew it was generally pretty drizzly, cloudy, etc. They were very concerned to see a bunch of sunshine and no precipitation of any kind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Stay cool BP. It’s 90 degrees with a heat index around 100 here on the east coast

due to drop back down to 70 within the week!

https://twitter.com/rahmstorf/status/1409529280988581894?s=20

the whole planet's basically getting whapped with alternating waves of extreme hot and cold weather atm

video games

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 28, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Read After Burning posted:

My boss, wife, and kid went up to Portland for the first time ever towards the end of May. They'd never been, but knew it was generally pretty drizzly, cloudy, etc. They were very concerned to see a bunch of sunshine and no precipitation of any kind.

oh no doubt, but tbf Oregon has always had microseasons as long as I've been alive. We consistently experience warm sunshine days in Jan-Feb, and rainy cool days in July-Aug, and if anything is true here it's that we don't get a normal 4-season arc like other temperate climates, but more like 4 major seasons and 3 mini seasons.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

4, 5 and 6 nominally feature zombie-like enemies but they start using weapons and poo poo so I definitely see where that poster is coming from. Like, in all those games there's parts where the zombies straight-up use guns.

there are actual, real romero zombies in 6.

4 and 5 are your controlled by a single person voodoo type of zombie and the j'ava or whatever they were called, the gun ones in 6, are those types too.

there are many zombie types throughout the series that are different but still zombie whilst also having other monsters that are not zombish and its about time people stop being discriminatory.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the only zombie in resident evil 6 was the one holding the controller because you need to be braindead to have a good time with that one

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The best part of the hordes in Day Gone was when you turn a corner somewhere and suddenly see a hundred zombies turn their heads your way and its like ah poo poo oh no oh no.

Alternatively, fighting a horde and doing fairly well, not realizing that a splinter of like twenty of them has broken off and gone around a nearby wall, cutting off your escape.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the only zombie in resident evil 6 was the one holding the controller because you need to be braindead to have a good time with that one

wow

wow

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

braindead to NOT have a good time you mean!!!!

re6 <3 forever.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

due to drop back down to 70 within the week!

https://twitter.com/rahmstorf/status/1409529280988581894?s=20

the whole planet's basically getting whapped with alternating waves of extreme hot and cold weather atm

video games

too much red in the north of england for my liking.

edit: and its gonna get warm again.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vikar Jerome posted:

4 and 5 are your controlled by a single person voodoo type of zombie and the j'ava or whatever they were called, the gun ones in 6, are those types too.

there are many zombie types throughout the series that are different but still zombie whilst also having other monsters that are not zombish and its about time people stop being discriminatory.

That's not the point. Those games are pretty clearly digressions from the standard RE zombie template. This argument is dumb.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I can see someone having fun in Resident Evil 6 but its not a well made game, it has this awful floaty feeling to its controls that I haven't felt in many other games - Dragons Dogma had the same thing

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

That's not the point. Those games are pretty clearly digressions from the standard RE zombie template. This argument is dumb.

its not. the template has always been the same. you are given the illusion of digression due to camera changes and gfx. this is also not an argument because i am master level 99x RE lore master and i play through/watch *every* single piece of canon content every other year.

try me. you won't win. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Whatever man

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I can see someone having fun in Resident Evil 6 but its not a well made game, it has this awful floaty feeling to its controls that I haven't felt in many other games - Dragons Dogma had the same thing

try jake in hand to hand only and use the custom FOV slider to suit.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vikar Jerome posted:

try jake in hand to hand only and use the custom FOV slider to suit.

sorry leons campaign was enough

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

Whatever man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiVvdNmU5r0&t=512s

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

sorry leons campaign was enough

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Want to echo this post, I played Leon's campaign first and almost dropped the game completely about halfway through it because it's godawful.

I played it first because supposedly it was closer in tone to older RE game while the other ones were more action packed, but the level design, the weird scripting of the events, all the campaigns have some bad spots but Leon's is straight up terrible to me. The part where you're in the caverns going from one suspended in mid-air rock across a bridge to another over and over again felt like some mobile game poo poo.

I'm glad I persevered because the Jake/Sherry campaign owns in a lot of spots (even if it has the snowmobile part) and feels a lot more built around how they want the game to work, fun stuff.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hmmm maybe it is I who is wrong, perhaps I should revisit someday

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
RE6 is a fun game but not a very good one. It really opens up after you put a bunch of time in and learn how it works, but by that point you’ll have already cleared the story and only have mercs left. Mercs mode in 6 is super fun, but it’s definitely easy to burn out on the game well before it’s enjoyable.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RE6 is both fun and good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes I played Days Gone for about 25 hours and I have a pretty medium-high opinion of it. I liked the combat, I love horse games and this is a very good horse game, I really like Deacon because a violent lunatic covered in biker tattoos mumbling to himself is very resonant for me.

But the “hordes” are just basically treating a lot of zombies on the screen as one large enemy that requires heavy weaponry to engage, and that’s something games have been doing since, like, Castlevania?

After 25 hours I dont think you would have gotten to the point where you could realistically take down a horde. Careful bust, you're veering dangerously into fridge corn posting territory!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've only played RE4, RE5, RE6 and RE7 to completion and while I like RE4, it loses steam by the end. RE5 was kinda weak for me and RE6, once I got the combat, was silly fun. Playing it co-op with both players going full John Woo is nuts.

RE7 was loving tense and a great one but I can't compare it to 4/6 because is more survival horror and tense while 4 to 6 are 3rd person zombie kickers/boulder punching/DDT dealers.

They're like the Dark Souls series, each one I like for different reasons but I had fun with all. But RE6 is so loving over the top like the Resident Evil animation movies and I love it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Morpheus posted:

The best part of the hordes in Day Gone was when you turn a corner somewhere and suddenly see a hundred zombies turn their heads your way and its like ah poo poo oh no oh no.

That sounds terrifying. :stonk:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The best part about Days Gone is the main character’s name

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

You sure it's not the wedding vows?

(Yes, I know that scene may not have been intended to be as straight-faced as the audienced assumed, but still, that scene was dumb.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

That sounds terrifying. :stonk:

It was! Also walking down a ravine or something and suddenly the floor in front of you starts moving and uh oh it's not the floor it's dozens of zombies freakers waking up and seeing you.

If Days Gone did one thing right it's making zombies potentially scary - like, you see one, okay just knock it down with a bat. Two? Okay, can still be done...but three is starting to require some nimble footwork to not get hurt badly and any more than that you start to consider pulling out a gun....except that'll just bring more down on you. So you had better hope your bike is near because those guys don't give up easy.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Huh. My partner owns (and enjoyed) Days Gone, and your posts are making me want to fart around on his save file a bit.

I have no interest in the game's story or missions or anything like that, but just driving around, exploring and running from zombies, actually now sounds kind of appealing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is any of the DLC for RE2make worth it?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Huh. My partner owns (and enjoyed) Days Gone, and your posts are making me want to fart around on his save file a bit.

I have no interest in the game's story or missions or anything like that, but just driving around, exploring and running from zombies, actually now sounds kind of appealing.

The story honestly isn't too bad - the problem is that the first....oh, third of the game or so absolutely sucks for it. You're introduced to a bunch of characters rapid-fire, a camp that you barely interact with throughout the game, and a flashback cutscenes that were clearly supposed to be playable before budget/time/design constraints said otherwise.

Once you reach the southern camp, an actual story with like plotlines and developed characters emerges.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RE 6 has good bits but it makes you work hard to get to them

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I keep forgetting I own RE8. I only got like 2 hours into it too. I think when I saved I had just killed a vampire bug girl.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

One of the best changes in RE8 vs RE7 is that the story bits are actual cutscenes and not parts where you have to stand around and wait for it to happen, so you can skip them.

I finished RE8 4 times over a couple of weeks then finished RE7 twice over the last week and you can breeze through RE8 and get to the good bits in a way that RE7 wasn't interested in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol this is exactly what venix3 was posting about the other day

Haha the PlayStation threads were definitely the biggest inspiration for that post.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vikar Jerome posted:

cept they didnt move away in the slightest but okay lol

Arist posted:

4, 5 and 6 nominally feature zombie-like enemies but they start using weapons and poo poo so I definitely see where that poster is coming from. Like, in all those games there's parts where the zombies straight-up use guns.

Vikar Jerome posted:

This is all on track for how inconsistent the zombies and creatures could be even within the same movie of the things that inspired what's in the RE games. :D Like not that this is an argument but it makes me nostalgic for these conversations about all these rad flicks lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsfxVtFScPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poqoUdIhgs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNd8aL41c5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5dn4Ub4JCU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

which thread veteran, nay, thread LEGEND, wants to mail me a copy of Resi8 across the atlantic

To Britain? I just so happen to need someone in the UK to ship me some rabbit cooling pod things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
QoP is in that bit next to the UK what hates abortions and uses the Euro