Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

"And that, billy, is how you were conceived."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
ATL is the busiest? Maybe because it's one airport, and a solid hub?

Airspace-wise, I can't imagine it being worse then New York (with JFK, LGA, and EWR practically on top of one another).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Yeah, ATL is the busiest airport in the world.

Hong Kong and Memphis trade off for busiest cargo airport.

I've seen similar animations of traffic flow during a thunderstorm for Memphis.

Warning: Aerosmith ahead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qPtWc4heA

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

simplefish posted:

Saw this and thought of you:

"What happens when a thunderstorm hits the world's largest airport (ATL)"

That is really cool. It's like a super complicated game of Frogger.

I was on a training flight yesterday (E-2C Hawkeye) that took us past the San Franciso area. We could see a string of about a dozen planes, perfectly spaced and lined up, coming in to land at SFO. One of our new controllers said "wait, those are all real? I thought that was a computer glitch or something". Nope, that's what a busy airport looks like. LAX shows up the same way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That seems kind of scary that a new controller assumes a string of flights is a "computer glitch".. Noobs :rolleyes:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Depending on how their radar/computer works, that's what certain types of jamming might show up.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Blue Angels over Chicago

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

Depending on how their radar/computer works, that's what certain types of jamming might show up.

:rolleyes: Yeah, like you know what you're talking about. This is what jamming looks like:

holocaust bloopers posted:

Blue Angels over Chicago

I saw them at Seafair this year, was pretty fuckin' awesome. Was my first time really hearing fighter jets buzz around (there goes my cred) despite having worked on their avionics :smith: They had the Marines there too doing rotary wing demos; the CH-53E is loving huge jesus christ.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd really like to make it out to the Air & Water Show tomorrow. It's gonna be crowded as hell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My dad was at the Kelowna regatta when the blue angels (in F-4s) blew out all the windows in downtown. Woops.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

movax posted:

the CH-53E is loving huge jesus christ.

just wait 10 years until the CH-53K starts flying, it's even bigger!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Psion posted:

I fell down the Wikipedia rabbit hole and landed at this picture:

This just gives me all kinds of :ohdear: feelings.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
it would be better if they were carrying tanker trucks

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That is really cool. It's like a super complicated game of Frogger.

It really is - I watched it a number of times last night and always felt bad when some of the little arrows would almost get to the airport then got blocked out by a weather cell and have to start doing circuits.

Psion posted:

I like that they kept/went back to the huge rear end sponson/fuel tanks on the sides that an old rear end variant of the CH-53 had. Let's make that fat bastard even more swole.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Duke Chin posted:

I like that they kept/went back to the huge rear end sponson/fuel tanks on the sides that an old rear end variant of the CH-53 had. Let's make that fat bastard even more swole.

The fat sponsons were used by the MH-53E which just recently retired.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You know there's a guy whose sole purpose in life is to keep making the helicopter bigger, just to see how big he can get it before someone goes "Dude, that's loving absurd, we're not buying that."

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

You know there's a guy whose sole purpose in life is to keep making the helicopter bigger, just to see how big he can get it before someone goes "Dude, that's loving absurd, we're not buying that."

He normally hides his Moscow accent well, too.

Mil V-12

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'd really like to make it out to the Air & Water Show tomorrow. It's gonna be crowded as hell.

My building has issued a limited number of tickets so people can get on the roof to watch. It's a shame about the forecast for tomorrow, though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

ehnus posted:

The fat sponsons were used by the MH-53E which just recently retired.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaat's right, the ol' Sea Dragon. I had a feeling it was the Navy version but my brain wouldn't put it together without the right amount of coffee earlier. :cheers: I'm mostly just surprised I remembered and spelled the word "sponson" correctly that early. That doesn't exactly come up in daily conversation. :v:

I just want to looooooove

^^ I'm going to be honest: the chin mounted side-view-mirrors are adorable. "Objects in mirror are really that fuckin' huge."

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 16, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

My dad was at the Kelowna regatta when the blue angels (in F-4s) blew out all the windows in downtown. Woops.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/science-technology/aviation/aviation-general/sonic-boom-smashes-kelownas-windows.html

But I thought Mythbusters showed that can't happen? :negative:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well something blew out all the glass, anyway.

A fun side note is he was with a buddy who had just gotten out of Czechoslovakia while the Soviets were invading so the guy dove under cover while everyone else was just going :wtf:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It was a knock against mythbusters, of course they blew out the glass.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mythbusters bad? That's unpossible!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Mythbusters bad? That's unpossible!

Out of all the stupid things they've done, the one that got me the most was the "taking candy from a baby" one. It's not easy because of the amount of force required, it's easy because it's a loving baby and can't do anything about it you god drat idiots.

On topic, I got to ride on a CH-53 when I was in JROTC in high school. I don't remember much about it. I blame the alcohol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does anyone else find the Avro Vulcan to be one of the most scary looking planes of all time? Seriously it just screams cold war paranoia to me for some reason. I saw one fly at a local airshow back in the 80s when I was a young lad and I vividly remember hiding when it overflew from an unexpected direction.

I can't remember if it howled like this one did, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ARSE8jEHQ

Watching the vid now my question is: why did they paint the underside camouflage? :confused:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

priznat posted:

Does anyone else find the Avro Vulcan to be one of the most scary looking planes of all time? Seriously it just screams cold war paranoia to me for some reason.

The three V bombers all have somewhat of that look about them. I think it's because they all look like they could be straight out of 50s sci fi

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

dissss posted:

The three V bombers all have somewhat of that look about them. I think it's because they all look like they could be straight out of 50s sci fi

Definitely, the Victor is pretty terrifying looking too

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADERS, SO I CAN BOMB THEM

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
The Victor looks like a boss weapon from Ace Combat or Strikers 1945 III.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

dissss posted:

The Vulcan even has firing ports for its twin-linked plasma cannons!

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

They may look scary, but they also look goddamn awesome. I'm a sucker for big wings.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah they are very cool looking planes. I have a thing for British plane designs.

This crazy potbellied bastard.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

Yeah they are very cool looking planes. I have a thing for British plane designs.

I always thought those were ugly as hell

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Much like anything with a bit of tub, it can look pretty nice from certain angles.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

They are, but so ugly they're good, somehow. Plus they could move like nobody's business.

Dunno what's going on here. Drying the boots? Hazing ritual?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Eej posted:

Much like anything with a bit of tub, it can look pretty nice from certain angles.

With optimism like that you must be a popular wingman

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

1967 Paris Air Show short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvMGgv6J7EY

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

priznat posted:

The even crazier thing is to realize that the potbelly is a fuel tank, extending it's endurance to a whopping hour and a half or something while also making gear-up landings....interesting.

edit: regarding V-Bomber chat, the last flight of the Victor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjPu6DPzWU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

charliemonster42 posted:

The even crazier thing is to realize that the potbelly is a fuel tank, extending it's endurance to a whopping hour and a half or something while also making gear-up landings....interesting.

edit: regarding V-Bomber chat, the last flight of the Victor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGjPu6DPzWU

Yeah they didn't have much for range that's for sure!

Slap on a couple tanks on top of the wings, good to go.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

dissss posted:

V bombers don't fly, they are so ugly that they repel even the Earth.