Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I like witty, haughty, sprezzatura aristocrats.
Lord Henry Wotton from A picture of Dorian Gray is a great example.
Can you guys help me find more of them?

I'm thinking I should read more French writers, this feels like it is right up their alley.
I'll get started with à rebours for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

its utter lack of moral courage.

What does this mean?

uguu posted:

I'm thinking I should read more French writers, this feels like it is right up their alley.

Lord Byron

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

uguu posted:

Chateaubriand, though he's also pretty gloomy

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

uguu posted:

Anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald, but The Beautiful and Damned is my favorite.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

CestMoi posted:

i would also like to use this joke as an opportunity to say i know what death of the author is

My b to Lil Mama; too bad they're already dead.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

What does this mean?

Contemporary U.S. literature is extremely insular, 'apolitical' and is petrified of antagonizing anyone. Then it re-frames those attributes positively as the utmost devotion to literature as pure craft.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 5, 2021

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

uguu posted:

Try Pleasure by D'Annunzio (but make sure you read the new penguin classics edition, the old public domain translation is bad).

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

My b to Lil Mama; too bad they're already dead.

Contemporary U.S. literature is extremely insular, 'apolitical' and is petrified of antagonizing anyone. Then it re-frames those attributes positively as the utmost devotion to literature as pure craft.

I think that the problem is actually the opposite, since most contemporary US literature seems to opt for 'important' politics(though generally boring liberal ones that won't raise too many eyebrows) over attention to craft. If people were writing apolitical books with extremely good writing that would be better than the current state of affairs.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

A human heart posted:

I think that the problem is actually the opposite, since most contemporary US literature seems to opt for 'important' politics(though generally boring liberal ones that won't raise too many eyebrows) over attention to craft. If people were writing apolitical books with extremely good writing that would be better than the current state of affairs.

Who are the young contemporary writers from the U.S. writing overt polemics? No ironic detachment here, I would genuinely like to read them.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 5, 2021

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
are we still trying to convince ourselves there’s subversive art?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

are we still trying to convince ourselves there’s subversive art?

I don't know about 'We', but my dumbass certainly does. An example that I think left an indelible mark on history is Diderot's Rameau's Nephew.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

Who are the young contemporary writers from the U.S. writing overt polemics? No ironic detachment here, I would genuinely like to read them.

I don't think writers need to write polemics to be political or be mainly known because of their politics. Like to take a random example, that Marlon James book that won the Man Booker seems to have mostly been talked about because of its perceived relevance to the political situation in the US. Most of the big 'literary' American books that anyone talks about seem to be discussed similarly.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Am I missing something here or is Marlon James not a writer from the United States?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A Human Heart is saying like random example, American authors are talked about the same. They don't need to write overt polemics to be considered political.

I'm curious what polemics you're wanting authors to write. Grab a Black authors list from last summer and I guarantee you'll find some politics.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

A human heart posted:

yeah

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my wager is that anything that's moving, well crafted and aesthetic is also redemptive, and programmatic political stuff in a novel is just going to make it boring and stilted which serves nobody

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

uguu posted:

À Rebours and the rest of Huysmans' novels are great but all his protagonists are the opposite of sprezzatura in my mind, people who are sincerely, undisguisedly unhappy because of the lack of a moral and intellectual framework to their existence. I don't think you'll find many positive examples of the trait in post-Renaissance French lit, and even in du Bellay or Ronsard who stole everything from the Italian court poets there's a certain disdain for studiously indifferent Italian wastrels

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Me, a poo poo-for-brains moron: "yeah good literature probably has content IDK?"
You, an intellectual: whatever the gently caress people are spouting ITT

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

Am I missing something here or is Marlon James not a writer from the United States?

He was born in Jamaica but lives and works in the US as a professor of literature. The book in question received extensive coverage in the US(and elsewhere in the anglo world which covers literature in a pretty similar way) based upon its political content and relevance to the American political situation so I don't see how it contradicts the point I'm making. Substitute in a natural born American writer if you're feeling pedantic.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Me, a poo poo-for-brains moron: "yeah good literature probably has content IDK?"

Very interesting stylistic choice to sign your post at the beginning, rather than the end.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

my wager is that anything that's moving, well crafted and aesthetic is also redemptive, and programmatic political stuff in a novel is just going to make it boring and stilted which serves nobody

everyone read Amalgamemnon by Christine Brooke-Rose please

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

it's a beautiful word drunk monologue and deeply political and it's perfect, best book I read in 2020, not particularly contemporary but the malaise of anglo literature has existed for decades

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

the content is the form is the content is the form is the content is the form is the content is the form is the content is the form is the content is the form is the content is the form

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CestMoi posted:

everyone read Amalgamemnon by Christine Brooke-Rose please

this looks like it's kind of like the passion according to gh, which is a great book

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

A human heart posted:

He was born in Jamaica but lives and works in the US as a professor of literature. The book in question received extensive coverage in the US(and elsewhere in the anglo world which covers literature in a pretty similar way) based upon its political content and relevance to the American political situation so I don't see how it contradicts the point I'm making. Substitute in a natural born American writer if you're feeling pedantic.

I'm not trying to be pedantic and I'm not saying they have to be natural born citizens, but James wasn't just born elsewhere but raised and primarily educated there too.

I'm unable to simply swap in another contemporary writer from the U.S. because I don't know any that fit the bill, that's why I asked you for recommendations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

KVeezy3 posted:

I know we're now discussing counterexamples, but any particular examples of authors or books that represent this insular, apolitical, "cowardly" trend?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

I know we're now discussing counterexamples, but any particular examples of authors or books that represent this insular, apolitical, "cowardly" trend?

Dave Eggers, Anne Tyler, and Richard Powers.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://daveeggers.net/the-captain-and-the-glory

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Writing a satirical takedown of Donald J. Trump is not my idea of moral courage.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

KVeezy3 posted:

Writing a satirical takedown of Donald J. Trump is not my idea of moral courage.

A human heart posted:

most contemporary US literature seems to opt for 'important' politics(though generally boring liberal ones that won't raise too many eyebrows)

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I've got Don Juan, Childe Harolde, the beautiful, pleasure and Mémoires d'Outre-tombe on my ereader, thanks guys.

lost in postation posted:

À Rebours and the rest of Huysmans' novels are great but all his protagonists are the opposite of sprezzatura in my mind, people who are sincerely, undisguisedly unhappy because of the lack of a moral and intellectual framework to their existence. I don't think you'll find many positive examples of the trait in post-Renaissance French lit, and even in du Bellay or Ronsard who stole everything from the Italian court poets there's a certain disdain for studiously indifferent Italian wastrels

I don't see why sprezzatura would be in opposition to unhappiness?
I figured the French salons would've affected their literature and given us some great fictional conversationalists, but maybe the 19th century wasn't very kind to them then?
Anyway, I'll move À Rebours to the back of the list.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

That might just be a difference in semantics re: what sprezzatura entails, but to me (based on an admittedly vague memory of Castiglione), it denotes nonchalance and the appearance of effortlessness. It's not so much the unhappiness that contradicts it in Huysmans as the sincere & unaffected striving for some kind of meaning to one's existence. If you just mean "urbane and scornful" then you should still like À rebours plenty.

Also you'd probably like Proust a lot, even though In Search of Lost Time's narrator comes to realise the vacuity of cultured conversation over the course of the novels.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

I'm also not being pedantic. What is your idea of moral courage in a book?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Shibawanko posted:

_______________/

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mishima is the best example of what i mean. he doesn't really work as a fascist author, he's too revealing to be very useful to that kind of cause, instead he undermines it by demanding courage and self sacrifice, two things which real fascists arent usually capable of, it's the aesthetics and craft of what he writes that takes him beyond that. he's closer to someone like malachi ritscher

boring novels are the real fascist literature by teaching stupidity, curiosity about the wrong things, and impotent language

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

mishima is the best example of what i mean. he doesn't really work as a fascist author, he's too revealing to be very useful to that kind of cause, instead he undermines it by demanding courage and self sacrifice, two things which real fascists arent usually capable of, it's the aesthetics and craft of what he writes that takes him beyond that. he's closer to someone like malachi ritscher

boring novels are the real fascist literature by teaching stupidity, curiosity about the wrong things, and impotent language

man plz read any book about ideology published in the last 200 years

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

KVeezy3 posted:

I don't know about 'We', but my dumbass certainly does. An example that I think left an indelible mark on history is Diderot's Rameau's Nephew.

what i mean is that conditions have changed considerably since Diderot’s time — subversion is a marketable quality now. our culture has the capacity to carry and even exalt all critiques or cynicisms about itself. this has been the problem since atleast the situationists when the idea of leading a cultural revolution instead of a political one began to take hold.

its all been diagnosed and examined to death; if anything critiques of postmodernity and capitalism are reproduced and absorbed with a masochistic glee, and we all get to communally despair about how things just keep on truckin, no matter how much anyone points at any one piece and says “there it is! that’s the problem!” “man, it sucks how much we suck, doesnt it?”

this isnt to say you’re a dumbass or anything, i dont mean it like that. i just figured we were all collectively as jaded as it appears. i think this is why anyone that makes any sort of political content is considered a grifter — because no one can actually conceive of anyone doing that without being a cynic.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I'm also not being pedantic. What is your idea of moral courage in a book?
It's a moot point. KVeezy3 responded to the claim that contemporary US literature is preoccupied with displays of liberal politics by arguing that there's a dearth of radical polemics, an idea not actually in conflict or even contrast with the one that he's ostensibly rebuffing.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's a moot point.

Regardless of whether or not US lit is preoccupied with anything, I still want to know what KVeezy3's looking for in a polemic. What specific contemporary stance/polemic would KVeezy3 find courageous?

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Don’t get me wrong, I’m under no illusions that art can/will save us. I agree that a cultural revolution in a vacuum is no revolution at all.

I didn’t intend to imply that anything worth reading must be a political tract, but that the work itself would benefit from being genuinely adversarial towards something, and this involves some kind of risk. One example of risk is in politics. Writing a satire about Trump is not politically risky.

Another poster expressed that overtly political work would make a work bland, and cite neo-liberal U.S. writers as proof, but I find that reasoning faulty. Like contemporary Latin American writers don’t suffer from this issue.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The problem isn't that no-one is writing anything risky (I have no idea if they are or aren't) but that there's no risk attached to reading anything for you.

Edit: Death of the Author? more like death of the reader Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Is it really controversial to say that contemporary U.S. literature is extremely conservative, unambitious, uninterested in big ideas, and that this has an effect on the end work?