Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Happy 4th of July from Rand. P.S. you're living under tyranny and the government controls your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwPXPYYRTlc

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Joementum posted:

The VP selection has no effect on the final vote in the general election so the shrewd thing to do as a candidate is to pick the person you can get along with and is closest to your own ideas on policy. This person is going to be hanging around the halls in Hillary's administration for eight years. She shouldn't pick the person who she thinks will (but actually won't anyway) matter on election day. She should pick the person who isn't going to give her headaches over the next 3,000 days.
Heh. So can I ask for the third or so time, who it's going to be? Is there a chart of, 'who gives Hillary the fewest headaches'?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Either Scott Walker's staff has done a really good job in not uploading the final complete image yet or nobody cares enough to attempt to guess its URL.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Shorter Bernie: "Yeah, I'm gonna grab all your guns."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcihMxfQBiI

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

meristem posted:

Heh. So can I ask for the third or so time, who it's going to be? Is there a chart of, 'who gives Hillary the fewest headaches'?

Comedy option: Terry McAuliffe :v:

But really, only Hillary knows and she'll develop new relationships as she campaigns over the next year. Obama got to know Biden on the campaign trail in the primary and that played a big part in his selection. Maybe Hillary warms up to Webb or O'Malley, or gets to know better a politician who acts as a campaign surrogate, as Paul Ryan did for Romney.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Joementum posted:

But really, only Hillary knows and she'll develop new relationships as she campaigns over the next year. Obama got to know Biden on the campaign trail in the primary and that played a big part in his selection. Maybe Hillary warms up to Webb or O'Malley, or gets to know better a politician who acts as a campaign surrogate, as Paul Ryan did for Romney.

I can't picture Webb for VP. Even Virginians don't like him.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Webb is a passable veep pick only if Hillary's folks think his Appalachian Strategy is a good idea, which I don't think they're quite dumb enough to do.

PT6A posted:

By that metric, is it possible Trump is one of the finest politicians ever?

I was reading an article on Vice this morning, the thesis of which is that the only reason he's popular at all, given his utter insanity, is that his complete and total lack of shame is appealing to a fair number of people.

Trump is what would happen if Your Stupid Uncle* got super duper rich. He probably doesn't seem all that insane to a lot of people. Hell, I can guarantee you there's a ton of "that Trump, at least he speaks his mind, tells it like it is, doesn't talk around the issue like a Politician" going on in middle-american households as we speak.

He's the kind of New Money schlub - privileged but totally uninhibited by any kind of social code or expectation - that makes you almost appreciate patricianism.

*or if you come from a genteel family, think maybe Danny DeVito's character from Always Sunny

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 5, 2015

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hillary finding new and innovative ways to duck questions

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/election-2016-hillary-clinton-campaign-corrals-reporters-at-july-fourth-parade/

quote:

GORHAM, N.H. -- Nothing says freedom on Independence Day like corralling reporters with a rope to keep them away from Hillary Clinton as she marches in a July 4th parade.

Clinton's advance team used a rope to separate the press from the Democratic presidential candidate as she walked the parade route, at times dragging the cranky reporters down the road.

The decision to lasso the media was a reminder of Clinton's fraught relationship with the press. Pictures of the reporter-roping took on a life of their own on social media and overshadowed what was supposed to be a news-less holiday photo-op in the early primary state.

"Keep walking, keep walking," Aide Huma Abedin said loudly to no one in particular in the thick of the parade as a protester carrying a "Not voting for Monica Lewinsky's ex boyfriend's wife!" sign screamed, "Carpetbagger" at the candidate.

Without batting an eye, Clinton continued briskly walking, stopping quickly to shake hands with parade-goers along the sidelines.

Clinton's longest stop occurred mid-route when she came across mother and son, Nellie and Jose Pequeno. A tear streamed down the face of the veteran, paralyzed and in a wheelchair as a result of getting hit by a grenade in 2006, as Clinton told him, "This is all for you," of her run for president.

"It was nice that she stopped to recognize Jose," Nellie Pequeno said of the emotional moment, before adding that it was "not all that special."

"There have been a lot of candidates who come through," she said. "I've been through a lot."

Upon reaching the end of the short parade route 45 minutes later, Clinton proclaimed that the parade was "fabulous."

Clinton then made a stop at Dairy Bar, a restaurant in the neighboring town of Berlin, where a reporter asked her a comment on Donald Trump's controversial comments regarding illegal immigrants. Clinton declined to engage, saying, "You know, I'm going to sit down and have some pie."

The New Hampshire Republican party wasted no time in seizing upon the spectacle, releasing a statement slamming the former Secretary of State for her campaign style.

"The use of a rope line at a New Hampshire parade is a sad joke and insults the traditions of our First-in-the-Nation primary," the GOP statement said. "Today, Republican presidential candidates marched in parades across New Hampshire that were open to the public without obstruction from their staff."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PupsOfWar posted:

Trump is what would happen if Your Stupid Uncle* got super duper rich. He probably doesn't seem all that insane to a lot of people. Hell, I can guarantee you there's a ton of "that Trump, at least he speaks his mind, tells it like it is, doesn't talk around the issue like a Politician" going on in middle-american households as we speak.

My Stupid Uncle (who is indeed American) actually probably loves Trump, you're right.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

The VP selection has no effect on the final vote in the general election so the shrewd thing to do as a candidate is to pick the person you can get along with and is closest to your own ideas on policy. This person is going to be hanging around the halls in Hillary's administration for eight years. She shouldn't pick the person who she thinks will (but actually won't anyway) matter on election day. She should pick the person who isn't going to give her headaches over the next 3,000 days.

*gasp* Huma! :swoon:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The best description I've heard of Trump is that he acts like how a hobo thinks a rich guy should act like.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gently caress the media, op

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I can't see anyone who doesn't already hate her caring that she doesn't let cameramen yell inane questions at her when she's not doing press events.

Plus, the longer she plays hard to get, the more the news will obsess over her.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

Didn't Palin cause a dip for McCain? Not that he was doing all that great anyways.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nanomashoes posted:

Didn't Palin cause a dip for McCain? Not that he was doing all that great anyways.

She caused a bump that was within the normal parameters. She did buttress his proto-Tea Party bona fides though. Like almost every VP candidate Sara Palin neither added nor subtracted votes from John McCain, she did seem to change the intensity levels of support and antipathy among more demographics than usual.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Martha.
Coakley.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I also was going to ask about Palin. I'd like to know more about why that pick didn't actually hurt McCain's McCampaign. Because what little attention I paid to that election (I tried not to watch TV, voted straight Dem and went home like I do every general election), it seemed like McCain wasn't a joke, and then he was after picking that grinning psychopath.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, I can't see anyone who doesn't already hate her caring that she doesn't let cameramen yell inane questions at her when she's not doing press events.

Plus, the longer she plays hard to get, the more the news will obsess over her.

Plus, asking her to respond to Trump's latest insanity? I'd say "gently caress that, it's pie time" too, and I can't imagine Bernie Sanders would waste his breath on someone he knows won't win the GOP nomination either.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Joementum posted:

Shorter Bernie: "Yeah, I'm gonna grab all your guns."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcihMxfQBiI

I'm a Chicagoan who owns a few rifles. Semi-automatic ones, even. Bernie thinks I'm part of the problem. :ohdear: Maybe I'll move to a rural area. Then my rifles will just be an alternative lifestyle that's worthy of respect.

Jokes aside, Bernie's actually got a fairly reasonable position on the subject. I do wonder, however, if any politician who singles out "semi-auto" weapons has ever looked up what that term actually, you know, MEANS.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I sort of have a hard time believing that Sarah Palin as a VP pick did not at all influence some voters away from McCain, especially when it's someone that's specifically of McCain's age and potential health problems, unless we get into the whole shebang of how there aren't really "swing/independent" voters and everyone who thought Palin was a bad choice was already going to vote for Obama anyway and it's all a matter of inducing and enabling people to vote, period.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah I sort of have a hard time believing that Sarah Palin as a VP pick did not at all influence some voters away from McCain, especially when it's someone that's specifically of McCain's age and potential health problems, unless we get into the whole shebang of how there aren't really "swing/independent" voters and everyone who thought Palin was a bad choice was already going to vote for Obama anyway and it's all a matter of inducing and enabling people to vote, period.

I'm one of those assholes who goes out and votes straight party on general elections and usually does nothing in the primary or local elections. If I were a Rep that cycle, I probably just would've refused to vote and stayed home and got drunk. Like, if Hillary wins the nom and picks Carrot Top as her VP, I'm probably just going to stay home.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Hamburgler, maybe.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah I sort of have a hard time believing that Sarah Palin as a VP pick did not at all influence some voters away from McCain

I consider myself an independent, but the vast majority of the time I find myself holding my nose and voting for the Democrats.

When the 2008 election season opened, I had a very high opinion of McCain. His reputation was that of "the sane one in the GOP", the one who could work with both parties and wasn't in the pocket of the far right wing. It would be nice to vote for a Republican for a change, I had thought. But during that campaign, it seemed like every time he opened his mouth, he was trying to annoy me personally. By the time the conventions rolled around, I was already leaning way away from him, but it was his selection of a running mate that served to finally nail the coffin shut.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lazy_Liberal posted:

OK, I bet you that Bernie doesn't win the nomination. What do I get for winning?

Retaining your seniority.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's not so much that everyone who thought Palin was a bad choice was already going to vote Obama, it's that John McCain was already hosed anyway. Palin was a Hail Mary that failed, but she was just another in a line of missteps by McCain. Remember how he suspended the campaign for a short bit to deal with the economic crisis? By the time it gets to the conventions everyone who is going to vote has already made up their mind, and it would take either a loving amazing VP pick or a horrifyingly disastrous VP pick to really change anything. We're talking Jesus/completely uncharismatic Satan level picks.

Sarah Palin is an easy thing to point to and say, "that's the thing that really hosed McCain", because she is loving horrible. Republicans generally liked or found her tolerable though. People who say that Sarah Palin was the reason they didn't vote for McCain most likely either were already voting Obama anyway or are rewriting their personal history to conform to popular opinion. Considering the millions of people who voted in the election, there probably are a few who did switch their vote, but they're a just a small subsection of the insignificant number of people who honestly couldn't make up their mind between Obama and McCain in September of '08.

Sorry, but independent thinking moderates who swing elections based on the "facts" are pretty much a modern myth of the media. Horse race narrative just isn't as sexy when you admit that it's about partisan turnout instead of deep thinking independents. Which is good, because who the hell wants the fate of the nation resting on indecisive idiots who can't pick between two different choices given almost two whole years to decide?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I also was going to ask about Palin. I'd like to know more about why that pick didn't actually hurt McCain's McCampaign. Because what little attention I paid to that election (I tried not to watch TV, voted straight Dem and went home like I do every general election), it seemed like McCain wasn't a joke, and then he was after picking that grinning psychopath.

There's a reason McCain made that pick in the first place. The polling was not on his side. Obama had been leading in the polls for months at that point, and so he decided to choose Palin as a kind of last gasp attempt to energize people in support of his campaign. Had she not been a complete rube it would have been fine. He bet it all on red, let it ride, and he lost, though.

Palin was arguably better than his first choice, though. Thankfully someone was able to talk him out of choosing Lieberman.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 5, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gyges posted:

Sorry, but independent thinking moderates who swing elections based on the "facts" are pretty much a modern myth of the media. Horse race narrative just isn't as sexy when you admit that it's about partisan turnout instead of deep thinking independents. Which is good, because who the hell wants the fate of the nation resting on indecisive idiots who can't pick between two different choices given almost two whole years to decide?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with this, which is why I brought it up in the first place. That was a good response, thanks.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Joementum posted:

He can help her put up signs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKdyEPGiM7o

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...aa61_story.html

quote:

But the image Clinton projected during this rare glimpse as a candidate away from the podium seemed to reinforce how very different she is from the voters she was courting. She marched briskly down Main Street in a cocoon of campaign staffers and Secret Service agents. Hecklers followed her, shouting epithets. The former secretary of state enthusiastically shook hands and exchanged pleasantries with supporters — “Good to see you!” “I need your vote.” “Let’s make it happen!” — but only occasionally slowed down to chat, such as when aides directed her to a Marine Corps veteran in a wheelchair.

The media, meanwhile, was kept at a distance and mostly out of earshot of Clinton’s interactions in this rural, working-class community. A few minutes into the parade, her aides unfurled a long rope across the street to physically block journalists from getting too close to the candidate.

“It feels like a coronation, doesn’t it?” one man shouted. “God bless the queen!”

Clinton, smiling in a red-white-and-blue pantsuit and navy Salvatore Ferragamo patent leather flats, pretended not to hear him and remarked, “I actually love parades.”

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Is it just me, or does Clinton seem to be Nixon with more estrogen?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

He's the kind of New Money schlub - privileged but totally uninhibited

Except he grew up extremely wealthy. Fred Trump was a slumlord (think Donald Sterling) though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Also, candidates often do actually love parades. It allows them to interact with real americans, and gives them a break from MAKING THEIR CALLS GODDAMNIT WHY ARE YOU WALKING AND NOT TALKING ABOUT MONEY?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gyges posted:

It's not so much that everyone who thought Palin was a bad choice was already going to vote Obama, it's that John McCain was already hosed anyway. Palin was a Hail Mary that failed, but she was just another in a line of missteps by McCain. Remember how he suspended the campaign for a short bit to deal with the economic crisis? By the time it gets to the conventions everyone who is going to vote has already made up their mind, and it would take either a loving amazing VP pick or a horrifyingly disastrous VP pick to really change anything. We're talking Jesus/completely uncharismatic Satan level picks.

Sarah Palin is an easy thing to point to and say, "that's the thing that really hosed McCain", because she is loving horrible. Republicans generally liked or found her tolerable though. People who say that Sarah Palin was the reason they didn't vote for McCain most likely either were already voting Obama anyway or are rewriting their personal history to conform to popular opinion. Considering the millions of people who voted in the election, there probably are a few who did switch their vote, but they're a just a small subsection of the insignificant number of people who honestly couldn't make up their mind between Obama and McCain in September of '08.

To me is just seems like an asinine choice but thats with hindsight. They picked someone who a genuine rich redneck instead of someone who could fake it. i mean the newest news with the palins was a massive drunken brawl in which almost all of them participated in and the daughter announcing she was having a bastard. This is honey boo boo levels of lovely white trash. its just the palins have money so the GOP probably hoped it was just an act for the rubes, like with W being a good ol boy and most black republicans. McCain was hosed from the start sure. But palin didnt help the optics or the votes.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Man gently caress being a famous politician in this country. There's no amount of power that makes getting constantly harassed by random assholes worth it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is it just me, or does Clinton seem to be Nixon with more estrogen?

Well, Nixon was the last liberal president according to people here so that's a good thing!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Man gently caress politicians in this country. There's no amount of money that makes getting constantly harassed by random assholes worth it.

Now you know how the 1% feels.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
A progressive Nixon would actually be pretty great.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The X-man cometh posted:

A progressive Nixon would actually be pretty great.

A Democratic Congress would be much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

A Democratic Congress would be much better.

Unironically agreeing with MIGF. It was thanks to a Dem-dominated Congress that the fiction of the "liberal Nixon" even exists.

• Locked thread