Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Tried out the Commandant class mod. He's fun. Pretty good, but not exactly OP. He's a mid-rank offensive support with a flexible buff/debuff, shuffle and light bleed kit, a ranged attack that marks and stress heals on kill and a crazy 3-turn artillery barrage ability. The way it works is that you call in the barrage, which functionas as a 0-damage attack against all ranks that also de-stealths, then you spend another turn doing something else and on his third turn the barrage arrives as a free action. It targets all enemies, but has a base accuracy of 1(!), but then gets a massive accuracy buff - +90 at rank 2 - against marked enemies. Put him in a mark party and you can basically set it up so the entire enemy team gets a high damage+stun nuke dropped on them on turn 3. I tried it out against the Flesh and it was hilarious. Turn 3 rolled around and suddenly half the drat things healthbar went up and all four parts were stunned. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Panfilo posted:

and they weirdly haven't introduced any new heroes.

They're introducing one, they just haven't revealed what it is yet.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm just sad there won't be anything like the mod classes for 2. I know, we all like to laugh and cringe at the titty mods, but there was a lot of cool heart.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Cythereal posted:

They're introducing one, they just haven't revealed what it is yet.

Right, but so did several of the DLCs. It would have been nice to at least get a peek at what they are working on.

I'm optimistic, but my concerns based on what I know :

-Unknown how many new heroes will be in the sequel. Me, personally, I would have taken about half the roster and replaced it with new heroes, and made the replaced heroes npcs and other important parts of the story.

-I don't mind the Oregon Trail concept but I don't think it should have been central to the new game. It could have made a good DLC or be a kind of mini game to expand to other hamlets /organize resistance /facilitate evacuation.

-They kept the basic framework of the trinket system, instead of overhauling or expanding it. They argue now that trinkets aren't persistent there's more room to make them amazing. I was fine with trinkets having tradeoffs before, but make it more specific and reasonable. Have trinkets with weak passive stats but give a strong boost for an action/battle/until next camp. Have hero skills and passives that unlock new properties from existing trinkets (so say an antiquarian or equivalent is herself weak but gets much more out of otherwise mediocre trinkets). Instead of stripping away weapon/armor upgrades expand on them!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bogart posted:

I'm just sad there won't be anything like the mod classes for 2. I know, we all like to laugh and cringe at the titty mods, but there was a lot of cool heart.

Ayuh.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
Oh! An article just came out from Game Informer.

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1420095363898298368
The deets:
New character, the Runaway. She's the new class who's all about the new DoT: Burn.

You can skip area bosses, but you lose out on the XP/Loot; figure out the power curve.

When you finish an area/biome, you pick from 2 options for the next area/biome. Think Coves v Warrens.

Runs can have modifiers; the exact phrase is "maybe the modifier on your 10th run will have something horrible [in that area]"

Pop-up boss events can show up "...like the Shambler and the Collector..."

Permadeath is in. If someone dies mid-run, tough poo poo and hope you find an inn to pick up a new 4th. There's no more Hamlet to stock up a back-bench, you have to just deal with it. DD checks are still in.

"To further engagement with your party members, Red Hook also promises greater insight into the characters you take along for each run, with narrative elements that delve into their backstories and relationships along the way." ooo.

They've changed healing explicitly to stop leaving one dude alive and scumming healing. "Instead, players must heal up outside of combat..."

Runaway's whole kit is in the article; and a description of her character. Bourassa compares her appearance to being a little Newt from Aliens, kinda 'bat girl' vibes. She's kind of a gremlin imo, a little urchin stabbing people with a superheated spike from a fence.

"She was kind of an extension of the game fiction as a whole, and what better character to debut as a new class than someone who’s intrinsically connected to the meta-­narrative of the game itself?"

We still don't know who the burning meat people are, but we do get a new faction: The Plague Eaters. They reacted to things going to poo poo by going all-in on Gluttony. They have a gross sicknasty bile theme to them. Lots of teeth. Lots of mouths.

There's descriptions of skills and what kind of combat to expect from them in the article, as well as more details I'm probably forgetting. There's also a lot of screenshots and the Leper has some really neat new icons for his skills.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ooh, Nurgle.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Am I the only one really struggling to visualize how this even plays? So many of these changes I'm just ???

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Karma Guard posted:

They've changed healing explicitly to stop leaving one dude alive and scumming healing. "Instead, players must heal up outside of combat..."
I knew it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wasn't the runaway just a modded hero in the first game? She looks incredibly familiar.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Am I the only one really struggling to visualize how this even plays? So many of these changes I'm just ???
I think it will involve a lot of synergies of abilities. Setting up combos and hard countering enemy comps. The no in combat healing sounds brutal, do they just expect you to suffer on deaths door for the remainder of the battle? Only getting one replacement from a death sounds like it's going to be really easy to death spiral out of a campaign if the wrong hero dies at an inopportune time.

A workaround for healing could be temporary hp; if it was only good for a turn or two then stalling to top off your health becomes irrelevant but you could still protect allies on deaths door. Conversely though 'no healer' comps are implicitly more viable and I suspect blitzing through adversaries might be more practical than reactive strategies that spend lots of time buffing/purging debuffs from allies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Panfilo posted:

Wasn't the runaway just a modded hero in the first game? She looks incredibly familiar.

I think it will involve a lot of synergies of abilities. Setting up combos and hard countering enemy comps. The no in combat healing sounds brutal, do they just expect you to suffer on deaths door for the remainder of the battle? Only getting one replacement from a death sounds like it's going to be really easy to death spiral out of a campaign if the wrong hero dies at an inopportune time.

A workaround for healing could be temporary hp; if it was only good for a turn or two then stalling to top off your health becomes irrelevant but you could still protect allies on deaths door. Conversely though 'no healer' comps are implicitly more viable and I suspect blitzing through adversaries might be more practical than reactive strategies that spend lots of time buffing/purging debuffs from allies.

There is a modded hero called 'The Runaway' someone in the modding discord's been working on for like a year but she hasn't been released and has a completely different aesthetic (including lugging around a gently caress-off cannon).

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Tbh I always found no healer comps to be perfectly viable. Killing the enemy in the first turn or two is like healing, but better. Especially if you crit, since that heals your stress. And you still get to heal at rest sites.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The vibe I'm getting is "darkest dungeon but as FTL." Which, I think it's pretty bold to dramatically change the gameplay, but imo that's good since DD1 is basically perfect as is

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cautiously optimistic about the sequel even though this is a hell of a turnaround from how the first game played. also Jester in but Bounty Hunter out is abominable.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

I'm visualizing a very similar tactical/combat layer with the strategic, hamlet-management level of the game replaced by something similar to FTL/Into the Breach/Monster Train/Slay the Spire. Honestly stoked for it, I have a feeling they are making the switch b/c they saw not a lot of people actually beat DD1's campaign. The FTL-style run-based system sounds cool as long as its done well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Best Friends posted:

The vibe I'm getting is "darkest dungeon but as FTL."

I'm thinking more DD but Slay the Spire.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Going to be interesting to see how much of a grind this is - apart from grinding to 6's on DD1 it wasn't much of a slog, if progression is gated behind playtime i.e can't win until x is unlocked then it's a bit of a conflict, prefer to be able to win through skill at the start, even though levelling up has it's advantages. Still looking forward to release this year, artwork seems even better than DD1 and the combat seems to have similar strategies, even if tokens rather than percentages are used.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Its slay the spire but with Darkest Dungeon combat.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ah OK, I'm not familiar with StS, is it worth checking out?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

It's the primary inspiration for like 90% of deck-building roguelites so if you've played any of those and have thought to yourself "I'd enjoy this but better designed and without whatever gimmicks it uses to set itself apart from the rest of the deck-builders" then you will like it.
If you haven't played any of those, yeah check it out, the 2 hour refund window on steam should be plenty of time to decide if you like it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Chrono Ark is the existing deckbuilder roguelite that actually plays like Darkest Dungeon, but it coincidentally has zero of the things Darkest Dungeon 2 is taking from Slay the Spire and instead took like every other aspect.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Short answer: yes.
Long answer: absolutely.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Panfilo posted:

Conversely though 'no healer' comps are implicitly more viable

if there's no healing then aren't all comps no healer comps?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Wafflecopper posted:

Not really, sounds like there's probably two things going on to me:
Healers probably have ways of mitigating damage in battle now, like giving some form of shield HP that goes away after a turn or two.
Sounds like you need to rest between battles so healers can probably heal significantly more in that time than whatever passive or resource based methods you have in every comp.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Count Uvula posted:

Not really, sounds like there's probably two things going on to me:
Healers probably have ways of mitigating damage in battle now, like giving some form of shield HP that goes away after a turn or two.
Sounds like you need to rest between battles so healers can probably heal significantly more in that time than whatever passive or resource based methods you have in every comp.

Well, they're not bringing back the Vestal, the purest healer; classes that are being preserved, like Occultist and Plague Doctor, could have all of their relatively minor healing replaced with buffs. Which, yes, could be some kind of shield, but not necessarily.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Wafflecopper posted:

I'm not sure how literally we are to take no healing in combat. There's plenty of ways around stall healing without throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Flagellant was a perfect example of this-he could give an ally regen but it risked bleeding him. He had a big heal but it had hp thresholds to activate, debuffed future healing, and could only be used a few times in a battle.

My guess there's still heals but they are extremely conditional. Grave Robber might have a self heal that only works if she's blighted. Another class might have - 100% heal received if their hp is over 25%. There might be a lot of different buffs that give +1 hp to the target if they're on deaths door. These types of heals would still be useful but you couldn't spam them while stalling effectively.

A lot of this also depends on the intervals between fights. Is combat going to be like Color of Madness or will you still get to walk from room to room with curios? Will your health return to full between fights or require out of combat heals that have cool downs between uses?

Because the latter would make a lot of sense for big self heals. Maybe Solemnity gives a temp hp barrier in combat but out of combat its permanent hp recovery with a cooldown- you'd have to decide if you need it right away or save it post battle since using it at the right time might mean its unavailable in an emergency.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Panfilo posted:

I'm not sure how literally we are to take no healing in combat.
I do not see any reason to see it as anything other than completely literal.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Has anyone tried that mod the Black Reliquary? It seems like someone has made their own DLC for the game.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I took a THC gummy last night and decided to play some DD, I'm on week 33 and only lost 2 characters to death so far.

2 runs, 2 complete wipeouts. :darksouls:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

How quickly the tide turns.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The way Stephen Russell means Thief to me, or the way Geoffrey Charlton-Perrin means Myth and Myth II, Wayne June means Darkest Dungeon. I have complete faith in the team for DD2, but whatever they decide to do, so long as the voice is there to narrate, I don't give a poo poo about anything else.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Eason the Fifth posted:

The way Stephen Russell means Thief to me, or the way Geoffrey Charlton-Perrin means Myth and Myth II, Wayne June means Darkest Dungeon.

:hmmyes:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Is it at all clear what made the world blow up for 2?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bloodly posted:

I'm gonna guess Ancestor.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Samovar posted:

Has anyone tried that mod the Black Reliquary? It seems like someone has made their own DLC for the game.

I thought it wasn't finished yet?

I'm expecting we'll se a lot of ambitious DD mods in the near future since, whether or not you like the changes, DD2 really is a completely different game and like doesn't seem like it's iterating on DD1 so much as going off in a completely different direction. Mario 1 and Mario 2/Doki Doki Panic.

Like the grueling death march is part and parcel of the DD1 experience.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bloodly posted:

My guess is that by disrupting the eldritch rebirth process that the Ancestor kicked off the surviving heroes also caused some sort of ripple effect where the population most attuned to otherworldly forces (i.e. religious devotees of the light) got hit with some sort of feedback or corrupting force and went insane.

If the setting is really about reaching whatever pseudo-plateau of Leng we saw in the first teaser then there's probably something there that the heroes believe will finish the job of purging the ancient evil from Earth or at least return the crazies to their senses. There will of course be some sort of twist or trap that somehow makes things even worse, just a longer time scale.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I thought it wasn't finished yet?

I'm expecting we'll se a lot of ambitious DD mods in the near future since, whether or not you like the changes, DD2 really is a completely different game and like doesn't seem like it's iterating on DD1 so much as going off in a completely different direction. Mario 1 and Mario 2/Doki Doki Panic.

Like the grueling death march is part and parcel of the DD1 experience.

Well, when I wrote that, I had only seen a playthrough of the first dungeon and the first boss and I was thinking: 'Despite the Orientalist aesthetic, this looks like a very ambitious and potentially good mod!'

Then I saw the design for the Enchantress.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Samovar posted:

Then I saw the design for the Enchantress.

It's spurple on the team, this is kinda what he does. He's really good at spritework and designs in general, but, uh :yikes:.

It's frustrating sometimes, because the mods and stuff he does are cool? But it's embarrassing at this point.

also his twitter and everything is extremely :nws: so take a look at it at your own risk.

Almost everything S-Purple does will have extremely big tits somewhere in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I just...

I mean...

I LIKE big titties. Many people do! But it's just... Why here? It's like having big titties on a packet of coffee beans or... Something else that's utterly... Not even inappropriate, just... Dumb!

It's just so stupid.