Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

sullat posted:

Did Latin have the same chicken = cock = penis thing going on, or is that an Englishism?

I doubt it; our English words for chickens / hens / roosters are all apparently derived from the Germanic / Old English language families, not Latin. 'Cock' to refer to male chickens is apparently only an English and French thing without a clear link to existing words - other than the fact that roosters go 'cock-a-doodle do.'

I'm not a linguist, so if someone knows better please correct me, but this article seems credible

Talky fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Romans had a number of words for dick, but cock is not a calque for any of them to my knowledge

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Further proof of time travel.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sullat posted:

Did Latin have the same chicken = cock = penis thing going on, or is that an Englishism?

There's this book. It is a scholarly reference and expects you to know classical Greek and to be familiar with classical authors, but is in English and doesn't just translate naughty words into some other language. I don't recall any animal metaphors for penis, but if you're interested enough, your library system may have a copy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh woe is me, my enormous priapic penis would be considered unfashionable by the Romans were I to time travel back to that period, who preferred small penises.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yes!

Finally everything's coming up Milhouse!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Oh woe is me, my enormous priapic penis would be considered unfashionable by the Romans were I to time travel back to that period, who preferred small penises.

You could have gotten steady work pretending to be a satyr.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Jack2142 posted:

Thats what I gathered too, the arrival of what sounds to be essentially the black death is the thing that ruins everything, especially since in the podcast it gets noted it wasn't one massive wave that killed everyone... it kept poping up every 20-30 years for a century or more killing huge swathes of the population. The Empire seems to recover in the late 800's partially just because the plagues stop ravaging everything.

Justinian the Second, and that was because the guy who took over from him wanted to be merciful, usually they just killed the person before then. After Justinian came back... then they started doing the blinding of potential usurpers. Haven't got to them starting castrating people instead yet though.

Its pretty insane that she pulled off becoming Roman Empress, but she still was not a good person.

See Wu Zetian for another example of a cool, but amoral Empress. I'd argue that blinding/mutilating a political loser, then sending them to a distant wealthy monastery is still better than "suggesting" they commit suicide.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jack2142 posted:

Also Irene blinding her own son... that poo poo is hosed up as far as I can see that seems to be the first time one of the rulers actually off'ed their own kid. You get plenty of brother on brother murder, but not so much in that department.

Oh boy. Once he's finished with the current run of summary episodes, we should come up on Basil II, the Bulgar Slayer. Then you'll see some blinding. :black101:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

golden bubble posted:

See Wu Zetian for another example of a cool, but amoral Empress. I'd argue that blinding/mutilating a political loser, then sending them to a distant wealthy monastery is still better than "suggesting" they commit suicide.

The impression I got about Wu Zetian is that if she hadn't been this ruthless, she wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the throne. Keep in mind that she arrived in the palace during the reign of a man who killed his two brothers and pushed his father off the throne.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I still have nightmares of what the first Han emperor's widow did to his favourite concubine. Don't look it up, it's disturbing and sad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hopefully the history is wrong

It's hard to believe someone survived that with ancient medicine.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the histories had an agenda to demonize empress Lü Zhi. Speaking of, I first found out about her in the excellent but overlooked Lu Chuan film The Last Supper/Wang de Shengyan where she's sort of a tragic villain being treated as trash by her husband until she becomes bitter. But among the themes of that film is how history can be falsified to support a someome's narrative. I think a lot of the reason it was so overlooked, apart from being kind of artsy, is how uncomfortable close it felt to present day conditions in China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

China's history of authoritarian past manipulation goes back quite a ways. Every dynasty wrote the official version of its predecessor's history and you can be sure they made the new bosses look good. And of course only like half of the actual Chinese states are even in the "official" history and series of dynasties.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Are there any examples of pretenders to the throne successfully seizing and holding power in European history?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tons? King Charles II of England comes to mind.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Groda posted:

Are there any examples of pretenders to the throne successfully seizing and holding power in European history?

If you win you're not really a pretender anymore are you?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ithle01 posted:

If you win you're not really a pretender anymore are you?

And furthermore you never were.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What if you don't take the title of king when you win and instead just call yourself lord protector?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fishmech posted:

DC's current location was an empty swamp before chosen to be capital of the country with a new city. The fall line of the Potomac was not a particularly useful location before that.

It's wasn't empty. Georgetown and Alexandria were already there.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Groda posted:

There was this thing that went down in 1066 but you might not have heard of it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Groda posted:

Henry Tudor, Edward IV, for a start.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Groda posted:

Julius Caesar?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Julius Caesar?

No.

Though arguably Marcus Antonius was after his death and the second triumvirate collapsed .

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

euphronius posted:

It's wasn't empty. Georgetown and Alexandria were already there.

Before DC was built, Alexandria only had about 2500 people and Georgetown was around 1500.

By 1800 with DC barely built at all outside of the existing communities incorporated into the district, it'd already grown to 8100 people and was up to 15,700 people by 1810.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Julius Caesar?

euphronius posted:

No.

Though arguably Marcus Antonius was after his death and the second triumvirate collapsed .

The concept of a pretender doesn't really apply, there wasn't a throne for these guys to pretend to. Once you get down to Vespasian, that's a successful pretender.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

fishmech posted:

Before DC was built, Alexandria only had about 2500 people and Georgetown was around 1500.

By 1800 with DC barely built at all outside of the existing communities incorporated into the district, it'd already grown to 8100 people and was up to 15,700 people by 1810.

I'm glad we agree .

THe area of the mall and capitol was certainly and still is an uninhabitable swamp.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I just happened to have posted earlier today about the transformation of DC's terrain over the course of the 19th century.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3531615&perpage=40&pagenumber=1082#post475431996

The previous tenants, the Nacotchtank, had the good sense to live along the much healthier banks of the Anacostia River on the east side of the city where they had forts and a trading center. After disease devastated them, they moved to what is now called Roosevelt Island (labeled Mason's island here, owned by George's family), and Europeans moved in to farm the area. It was inhabited but rural at the founding the city, but what is downtown was pretty loving empty.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 16, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

glynnenstein posted:

I just happened to have posted earlier today about the transformation of DC's terrain over the course of the 19th century.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3531615&perpage=40&pagenumber=1082#post475431996

The previous tenants, the Nacochtank, had the good sense to live along the much healthier banks of the Anacostia River on the east side of the city where they had forts and a trading center. After disease devastated them, they moved to what is now called Roosevelt Island, and Europeans moved in to farm the area. It was inhabited but rural at the founding the city, but what is downtown was pretty loving empty.

This is really cool, you should all go look at this, and post more things like this because I find it fascinating.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Groda posted:

Literally every single ruler since Avitus Aaugustu, from Petronius Maximux to Elizabeth the second. :agesilaus:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

what is modernity?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

what is modernity?

Bidets.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

sebzilla posted:

There was this thing that went down in 1066 but you might not have heard of it.

dude we all know about stamford bridge

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

what is modernity?

Everything since Ur imho

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Groda posted:

Like people have said, this happens a whole lot, depending on your definition of what a 'pretender' to the throne is. One of the results of diplomatic marriages is that over time, nearly every important house/noble can claim some amount of royal blood or connection, often for faraway countries they have never been to. Henry VII (of Tudor fame), as mentioned, had a claim via his mother being the great grand-daughter of the fourth son of Edward III, and was an illegitimate descent as well. But when you win a civil war and come out on top, that's all you need.

'Successful' is another difficult word that needs some level of qualification. Does Cromwell count? Obviously, he's not holding a throne, but he does become Lord Protector and the system survives until his death by natural causes. Even if it falls apart and the Restoration occurs basically immediately, does that count as successfully?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Arglebargle III posted:

what is modernity?

folly

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

:agesilaus:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Arglebargle III posted:

what is modernity?

Firing handguns out of windows, and sueing each other over harsh words uttered at a game of dice

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Arglebargle III posted:

what is modernity?

A boring era for the male wardrobe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

golden bubble posted:

Or a lot of Chinese empresses, really.

In hindsight, "the dowager empress is often regent" and "the dowager empress gets to pick the next child emperor in the event of the current one's tragic death" were design flaws.