Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hellsau posted:

So they're buffing the tier nine and ten Japanese heavies in 9.15. Don't worry, they'll still be unplayably bad since they'll still be cripplingly slow with awful guns that have trouble penning other top tiers while having technically thick armor that's completely useless due to it being in giant flat plates and not actually being thick enough to stop high tier gold ammo and also the tanks are so brutally slow that they get to enjoy the T95 experience of being too slow to contribute on a win and too slow to prevent a loss and also artillery will pop you because you're gigantic and slow and HE doesn't give one poo poo about your armor you gigantic fascist box.

Two weeks ago, a pubbie in an O-Ho platooned me ingame while I was in my own. I accept, thinking this should be fun at the very least, but, upon dying, notice he's using the 10cm. I kindly try to advise him that the 15cm is the way to go. He is the single tank alive at this point and goes "lol, I like this gun better" and actually manages to get some absolutely impossible hits and pens off on the remaining enemy tanks, but we still lose. I immediately assume this will be confirmation bias for him to tell me I'm wrong.

But no, he actually follows my advice and buys back the 15cm he had already sold. We continue on to have about 10 absolutely hilarious games with 2.5k damage average each and an absolutely incomprehensible amount of dead crew and modules between the two of us. He eventually says he's really looking forward towards the Type 4 Heavy and I dryly inform him that it's absolute garbage and he should elite the O-Ho and keep it forever.

Despite our moment together and success over the 15 matches played total, he still remained convinced that I must be wrong and that the next tier will be amazing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Is this the time I out myself as a Godawful Pubbie again, and say that not only did I use the 10cm on the O-Ho religiously, I kept the drat tank after I was done grinding it? I legit like the tank, it scratches the same "drive forward and gently caress poo poo up" itch that my IS-3 does, just somewhat slower and with better DPM.

Having used the 15cm for a few dozen games, it just didn't click for me. I could hit things for ~300 damage every 15 seconds... Or I could do it every 8 seconds. I don't run into enough things I can't pen for that to be an issue, honestly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hellsau posted:

and yes not every snapshot hits, but WAY too many do. I've platooned with Exia enough times in M53s that at this point I just announce vocally when I'm about to do something ludicrous - snapshot an M44 at 500 meters in my SU-122-44, full bloom fire at the last enemy tank with my arti, etc. It happens too often. It does not happen 100% of the time, because if it did, that would be fine. Hitting every single shot in arti would be perfect because you could balance around that by increasing flight time, reducing reload, nullifying full pens, etc. Hitting dead center with a full bloom M53 shot once every million games is also fine, because that's sufficiently random and not too punishing, and definitely not worth going for. I've hit full bloom M53 shots. I've done it repeatedly. I have not played a million games, poo poo I've played 500 loving M53 matches trying to finish these god forsaken missions. One in a hundred games maybe I've hit a full bloom shot? That's too much. It breaks the game when your incentivized to play in a manner that basically says gently caress you enemy player, I'm not aimed in and I don't give a poo poo, eat 800 damage for your sins!

But, you literally just posted a replay a few days ago that showed you completely blind shotting someone in a KV-2 and killing them in one shot. And that's funny. Which it is. But one in 100 games if you did that... it'd be too much? If arty does that, then it's bad, but if any other tank does it, then it's good?

I'm confused.

edit - I don't hit 100% of the time when I'm fully zoomed in. That's the angle I'm getting at I suppose. It just doesn't happen. Again, maybe you guys are just way better or have better RNG or whatever. Just played a platoon tonight with other goons and none of this crazy arty murder happened even though we played quite a bit of it. I just don't see it. That's all I'm getting at. It's not a guaranteed thing. It's luck.

edit yet again - someone is going to say that it's too much luck. In your unicum games.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 7, 2016

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Arty chat is poison. I don't want to bring the WoT forums into here. Those fuckers are whiny dumb crybaby manchildren. I know some of you guys truly are as well. But this is the SA forums. We should be better than that. Uh...right?

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Didn't you say you were going to bow out like 50 posts ago? How about some of that.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Those fuckers are whiny dumb crybaby manchildren.

I agree, the NAgoons are terrible.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Also that yes, never trust a goon that doesn't smell of weird cheeses.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
BBB..but, I love weird cheese.

Refried Noodle posted:

Didn't you say you were going to bow out like 50 posts ago? How about some of that.

No, you are right. Difficult to avoid being sucked back in to an endless argument.

One thing we can all agree on... Tanks are bad and all of our lives are worse because of it.

Hear! Hear! :toot:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Probably time to put that tism towards something positive like obsessing over weight lifting goals at a gym rather than internet tanks. It's never too late. I believe in you.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Refried Noodle posted:

Also that yes, never trust a goon that doesn't smell of weird cheeses.

Thx buddy.

btw arty sucks and should either be removed or entirely and heavily rebalanced.

edit : going to the gym is also real good, and seeing how much you can lift improve faster than your wn8 is good for the soul.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

But, you literally just posted a replay a few days ago that showed you completely blind shotting someone in a KV-2 and killing them in one shot. And that's funny. Which it is. But one in 100 games if you did that... it'd be too much? If arty does that, then it's bad, but if any other tank does it, then it's good?

It's just as bad. Snapshot meta is garbage period. The accuracy changes a while back were literally worse for the game.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
If every artillery were rebalanced to be similar to the 304 (faster firing, less damage, more accurate) I would not complain. Keep the gun arcs/ranges the same though, let the Brits keep their plunging fire gimmick.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Steelion posted:

If every artillery were rebalanced to be similar to the 304 (faster firing, less damage, more accurate) I would not complain. Keep the gun arcs/ranges the same though, let the Brits keep their plunging fire gimmick.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Probably the most balanced arty out of all of them is French arty. Doesn't hit as hard as others still 30 second reload but you are more accurate and might hit your targets regularly. Arty is still bad though. Does the 4 pack Berlin come with any gold or just tonks?

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.

Steelion posted:

The two artillery in the game I think of when you say that is the FV304 and the leFH105 - I think those two are bad yardsticks for balancing artillery overall. Yeah, I get the drift - but I think arty like the Lorraine SPGs are more better then the FV304/leFH bullethell.

GiantHurtBall
Dec 9, 2013

The Iron Hands weren't loyalists. The Ultramarines, noted for their tricks and deceptions, planted an agent within their ranks claiming to be their long lost Primarch, Ferrus Manus. Thus, the Iron Hands readily turned to Chaos and joined Horus' ranks, all to cover for the Ultramarines' own heresies.

Steelion posted:

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Chumbly, I love your av and text, it just gives me headaches.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Well this time you put it much more politely and I can agree with what you said based on the intentions of the devs. They have nerfed arty to poo poo, but I guess some people pray to the RNG gods more than I do. Not sure what would fix it though. We both know that they aren't going to remove arty so there is no reason to argue that. I do look forward to seeing what their summer balancing thing is though.

Yeah, you have brought up being an elitist prick a couple of times already but I don't care (edit - I don't care as in it doesn't bother me). I guess it's a different game for you and I. Maybe MM has something to do with it but I don't care enough to look into it.

Also I have to point this out... and not in a dick way.... but you're AV seems to be pretty relevant here eh? Heh. I mean, come on man, that's just kinda funny. Gimmie a big smile!

Desuwas argument regarding arty is basically "Look at me I am purple/blue and arty shoot at me a lot, so I have developed a persecution complex regarding arty".
One thing to remember here is that Desuwas stats are pretty good, so despite arty singleing him out, he still performs very well. So make of that what you will.
Good players still perform very well despite arty.

That said, since WoT is a game where positioning is key, and good players go to the good positions, that also makes good players predictable.
So if you are a decent arty player, you preaim where the good players will go and nail them when they poke out.

I have seen blue players bitch about getting hit by my arty, when it is obvious they made the mistakes by A: not checking XVM too see whether the opposing arty players are good and B: poking out in an obvious location that arty can easily hit.
That tells me that the player haven't been focused nearly enough, and blaming arty for their failure is an easy solution.

Also this bitching have been going on for 5 years, despite a massive arty nerf, and arty is still not going away. :dealwithit:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The French arti line is very weak, with weak direct hits, poor splash, and precious few direct oneshots. If all arti were like that, you might as well just remove artillery.

I'm confused.

edit - I don't hit 100% of the time when I'm fully zoomed in. That's the angle I'm getting at I suppose. It just doesn't happen. Again, maybe you guys are just way better or have better RNG or whatever. Just played a platoon tonight with other goons and none of this crazy arty murder happened even though we played quite a bit of it. I just don't see it. That's all I'm getting at. It's not a guaranteed thing. It's luck.

edit yet again - someone is going to say that it's too much luck. In your unicum games.

If the O-I that I oneshot in a KV-2 was spotted, and I hit it, it would be a bullshit full bloom shot with an above average pen and damage roll. Hitting that shot once every ten thousand shots would be fine, given the size of the reticle. The fact that I hit at all is bullshit, that I did it blind is just incomprehensible.

Luck is fine. Luck being vastly more important than skill is not. Artillery is significantly more luck based than skill based, to the point that I'll intentionally choose luck over skill when deciding shots during games. That's a degenerate mechanic.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Desuwas argument regarding arty is basically "Look at me I am purple/blue and arty shoot at me a lot, so I have developed a persecution complex regarding arty".
One thing to remember here is that Desuwas stats are pretty good, so despite arty singleing him out, he still performs very well. So make of that what you will.

That said, since WoT is a game where positioning is key, and good players go to the good positions, that also makes good players predictable.
So if you are a decent arty player, you preaim where the good players will go and nail them when they poke out.

I have seen blue players bitch about getting hit by my arty, when it is obvious they made the mistakes by A: not checking XVM too see whether the opposing arty players are good and B: poking out in an obvious location that arty can easily hit.
That tells me that the player haven't been focused nearly enough, and blaming arty for their failure is an easy solution.

Also this bitching have been going on for 5 years, despite a massive arty nerf, and arty is still not going away. :dealwithit:

There is another side to this as well that shouldn't be ignored. That is, good arty will also position themselves at times to other places specifically so they can hit locations where good players go. For example, south karelia. I'll take my arty if it is fast enough over to the west and north behind the large hill there. It gives me an angled shot into the donut on the hill. Another is west airfield. Again, the northern hill will have me park there to give me better angles on the battlefield. They also give hard cover against counter battery and shot camo loss.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like funny WoT videos. Especially when they involve physics or people dying. Post funny WoT videos. :gifttank:

edit - and good idea, I just moved my weight set out of storage to my new home a few days ago. Gotta put that poo poo together. Also got back into MMA this week. Every time I punch a pad I'll be imagining myself one shotting a tank. In my scout!!! :black101:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 7, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

The French arti line is very weak, with weak direct hits, poor splash, and precious few direct oneshots. If all arti were like that, you might as well just remove artillery.

This is confusing, the current complaint is that arty does too much damage and has to much splash, the French arty has none of these but is accurate and has higher rate of fire. Hitting tanks for 400-500 damage is weak compared to the other Artie's right now. Doing that every 30 seconds without the enemies ability to shoot back is still good over the course of a game. You aren't losing a tank because the other team also gets an arty so if everyone was brought inline to French arty there would be less bitching about one shots and far less shots that deal 80% damage and leave you with 3 dead crew members and tons of broken poo poo.

Removing artillery all together is something that would be acceptable though.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

french artillery fires faster than the other lines, and has better accuracy.

french artillery is neither fast-firing nor accurate.

french artillery loving sucks and no one wants to play it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hellsau posted:

BadLlama confirmed as Garbad.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

You guys just don't know French tank superiority and I feel bad for you.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

You guys don't know the superiority that is the Japanese heavy line O-Ho and I feel bad for your mothers.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Cardiac posted:

Most of my points had nothing to do with being singled out by arty. It's just a bad game mechanic.

Most of my posts did, though, because the main argument in favour of arty is that being shot by it is rare. Except it's not, it's just rare for players who aren't blue or purple.

I still do well despite arty but constant unending arty focus is one of the big reasons I haven't played much on the past year and a half. The main reason being burnout, but every time I come back for a weekend it's intensely frustrating.

It's not that good players shouldn't be focused. But if there are three tanks that want to kill me I can sit hull down, only poke out so one can shoot me, reposition, leave that flank, or any number of options. If three arty are focusing me then there often isn't anything I can do. Many maps don't have usable arty cover, and if I leave for another flank they'll just turn and I've wasted a minute or two of the game.

e: Not that I expect arty focus to ever be fixed, it's basically impossible. I do however want the fact that I'm never more than a few unlucky dice rolls away from dying, at any health level, to be changed.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 7, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Was the hitler boxes lower plate buffed a poo poo ton? Regular ammo on my type 59 does not pen it unless there 0 angle on it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Don't read arty chat, read about the T49/T67 Tank Destroyer

Queue:
IS-7

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
Christie Combat Car T1 and Convertible Medium Tank T3 NEW

:france:
FCM 36
AMX 38

:britain:
Tetrarch in the USSR
Cruiser Mk.IV
17-pdr
Medium Tank Mk.II NEW

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
T-60
ZIK-20
IS-3

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks
Strv 74

:poland:
7TP
TK-3/TKS

:japan:
SR tanks

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 7, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Was the hitler boxes lower plate buffed a poo poo ton? Regular ammo on my type 59 does not pen it unless there 0 angle on it.

What hitlerbox, the JT88? Yeah its armor is laughably superior to the regular JTiger's.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

BadLlama posted:

Type 59 can't hit or pen poo poo, another reason why it sucks.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

What hitlerbox, the JT88? Yeah its armor is laughably superior to the regular JTiger's.

Yeah the JT88. I've never a problem shooting their lower plate but now its made of magic so that's cool I guess.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BadLlama posted:

Yeah the JT88. I've never a problem shooting their lower plate but now its made of magic so that's cool I guess.

German tanks aren't allowed to have weakpoints. They buffed the LFP to... 120? 150? Some large number. Just be a tier nine and load gold and pen the casemate.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Don't read arty chat, read about the T49/T67 Tank Destroyer

Available for request:

:france:
FCM 36
AMX 38

:britain:
Cruiser Mk.IV

Yes the T49/T67 is indeed a wonderful design Mr. Pasholok, I agree. Also requesting the Cruiser IV because it is also a totally bananas tanks in-game with great mobility, camo, gun depression and gun characteristics just like the T67. Also some terrible French bullshit whynot.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You guys don't know the superiority that is the Japanese heavy line O-Ho and I feel bad for your mothers.

:jackbud:

e: and for my first ever shot I hit an STA-2 for 902 damage, taking out his commander, gunner and driver.

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 8, 2016

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Almost got away with it, but the motherfucker in the SU-76M managed to put me down after I killed one of the arty- I think it was the Lloyd. So infuriating.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

BadLlama posted:

Probably the most balanced arty out of all of them is French arty. Doesn't hit as hard as others still 30 second reload but you are more accurate and might hit your targets regularly. Arty is still bad though. Does the 4 pack Berlin come with any gold or just tonks?

No gold, just the tonks/garage slots/crews and 30 days premium.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

subhelios posted:

Almost got away with it, but the motherfucker in the SU-76M managed to put me down after I killed one of the arty- I think it was the Lloyd. So infuriating.

:eyepop:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ramsus posted:

Type 59 can't hit or pen poo poo, another reason why it sucks.
Counterpoint: Yes it can, stop being a bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ah, gotta love tanks. Brings out the best of us. :allears:

Speaking of which, PANSY had a nice Stronghold group for a few hours last night. Everyone was cool, listened, cooperated, and most of all it was fun. Someone fucks up, we get destroyed, we lose terribly.... oh well, who cares. poo poo happens, especially in WoT.

It was fun and no one bitched about anything whatsoever. Please take note.