Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OSad posted:

Not really. Around 10 kilometers is what I'd say is the ideal range for BB guns. You don't actually want to deliberately approach someone past this range unless you *know* you can kill them for sure in a couple of salvos.

Usually it's DD's going in for a trench run or CA's that you run into that invade that range, at which point your secondaries start opening up on them, and then the "brawl" starts so to say. You shouldn't start the brawl in most cases, the other ships come to your turf looking for trouble.

Ignore this man. If you aren't in potato range of the enemy, you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Vengarr posted:

Ignore this man. If you aren't in potato range of the enemy, you're doing it wrong.

Ironically, at that distance your guns would overshoot and DD-fired torpedoes wouldn't arm, either. It's actually believable.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

181 BBs in queue, 5 Cruisers.

Nope.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Burt posted:

Nope.

DD time!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Bought the discounted Warspite on a whim. I've only played two battles (and averaged 95k dmg) but there is a world of difference between its guns and the New Mexico and Bayerns'. Its been too long since I played Fuso to remember. But the accuracy, disperson and arcs on the Warspite feel a lot better than the other two from my first two battle. Its too early so say how good the ship is overall (it seems to take angled damage more than New Mex and Bayern) but I really felt the difference in the guns.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It definitely has the accuracy and damage edge, but the shell velocity isn't super great vs others on it's tier. Still, they are really great and do a shitload of damage.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The Warspite's catapult launchers are kind of amazing to watch in action as it can shoot over the entirety of Two Brothers and hit people at the mouth of the strait.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Are the arcs that bad? I thought they seemed better than Bayern which I also played two games of today. And their dispersion and damage seemed better too. I was getting very nice chunks on German BBs which I normally hate shooting at because its so hard to know where to aim.

Speaking of which...where does everyone aim vs German BBs at various ranges when in a BB?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Most importantly, the Warspite just looks classy as gently caress.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

Speaking of which...where does everyone aim vs German BBs at various ranges when in a BB?

Anywhere but the belt

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
At longer ranges I just aim to hit the ship since who knows what dispersion decides to actually do with the shells during the flight. If I'm close enough to aim a bit more reliably I basically try to hit the area between the belt armor and the superstructure. It gets you reliable penetrations without overpenning and you can't citadel them anyway. Though with Großer Kurfürst and Friedrich der Große it can be rewarding to aim for the magazine storages. Got a citadel on a Großer Kurfürst with my Amagi by hitting the aft magazine at 10-11km.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Nordick posted:

Most importantly, the Warspite just looks classy as gently caress.

She's also got a big superstructure. I swear I spend more time on fire as a Warspite then any other ship.

I think the biggest weakness with the Warspite is it's turret rotation. It's the worst in the game, and coupled with it's fantastic turn radius it becomes too tempting to turn the ship rather then hope your turrets get on target before the match ends. Which inevitably leads to showing your broadside to something and eating poo poo and dying.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Burt posted:

Nope.

Yeah, don't be like me and sail on anyway. It really sucks the joy out of the game being in an Aoba and taking battleship salvos from 4 different directions every time you get detected. Or I could stay near the friendly BBs and never be in range of anything ever.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JacksLibido posted:

the shitheap that is the Gneisenau.

This explains a lot.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Junkozeyne posted:

At longer ranges I just aim to hit the ship since who knows what dispersion decides to actually do with the shells during the flight. If I'm close enough to aim a bit more reliably I basically try to hit the area between the belt armor and the superstructure. It gets you reliable penetrations without overpenning and you can't citadel them anyway. Though with Großer Kurfürst and Friedrich der Große it can be rewarding to aim for the magazine storages. Got a citadel on a Großer Kurfürst with my Amagi by hitting the aft magazine at 10-11km.

The cylindrical bits under the guns? Because yeah I could see the turret barbettes being a good target.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So I'm close to getting a tier five skill on my Nagato captain. I'm not sure what to go with though. Is the manual secondary worth it or should I do something like concealment?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Minenfeld! posted:

So I'm close to getting a tier five skill on my Nagato captain. I'm not sure what to go with though. Is the manual secondary worth it or should I do something like concealment?

Honestly I would stack up on some more lower tier skills, while it's fun to watch the Nagato's secondaries the majority of them fire small caliber AP that won't damage much.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

This explains a lot.

Compared to the Colorado it hardly bounces, and with only 6 guns its crap dispersion really hurts. How do you like it?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Urgh, after not playing at all this week, have been just exclusively playing a bunch of games in my relatively new Saipan this weekend, trying to grind up to 15 points. Currently sitting at nearly 13, but just so draining playing with all the poo poo players on this weekend. Mainly just trying to grind it out in preparation for the coming Ranked season.

Currently running the 3/0/1, but once I actually get Air Supremacy I may switch to 2/2/0.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Doesn't the next ranked season ONLY allow tier 6 or 8 ships?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Urgh, after not playing at all this week, have been just exclusively playing a bunch of games in my relatively new Saipan this weekend, trying to grind up to 15 points. Currently sitting at nearly 13, but just so draining playing with all the poo poo players on this weekend. Mainly just trying to grind it out in preparation for the coming Ranked season.

Currently running the 3/0/1, but once I actually get Air Supremacy I may switch to 2/2/0.

Really? I thought the verdict was 2/2/0 all day with the saipan even without air supremacy. The reasoning is that your fighter allotment is the same on either loadout, but you are only refilling two squads instead which gives you a little more wiggle room on plane deaths.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Really? I thought the verdict was 2/2/0 all day with the saipan even without air supremacy. The reasoning is that your fighter allotment is the same on either loadout, but you are only refilling two squads instead which gives you a little more wiggle room on plane deaths.

The 8 DBs allow me to effectively hunt down destroyers, along with putting significant hurt on other stuff (well, so long as RNG doesn't gently caress me over), while not having to worry about even a single loss leaving a gaping hole in the spread. One problem is that the German battleships at T7+ are way too good at AA, which can easily swat multiple planes in a single strike. Partly it's also that there are so many CVs on this weekend, so in dual CV per side matches having the extra fighter squadron helps - especially as there's far less micromanagement involved in dealing with a Saipan's DBs (ergo, manual drops with them adds basically nothing).

And you have 20 replacement fighters with the 3 fighter loadout (or 17 once you get Air Superiority), so I've never felt pinched on that.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

At range I would just shoot and pray, the chances of you getting an actual citadel are slim I think. Within ten kilometers it depends, aim for the part between the deck top and the citadel armor for good damage. If you have very big guns for your tier like the Warspite does, you could risk that waterline shot at around eight kilometers.

If they're coming towards you at an angle it's a whole different story. If it's a Konig or a Kaiser and you're in a Jap or American BB, aim for the aft of the ship for decent damage, do *not* aim for the angled side unless they're overangling as the side armor of German botes tends to be very tough (I don't think I've ever been citadeled in a German BB, even driving like a dumbass most of the time). If it's a Bayern you can risk a shot between the aft and belt armor as it doesn't have as thick aft armor as its predecessors. If you're also in a German boat in these conditions and you have small guns, switch to HE and hope you have backup and the other guy doesn't.

German BB's have their citadels so absurdly low in the water that I wouldn't ever expect a citadel hit in most cases. If you get around 10k damage, it'll probably be because you penetrated multiple shells in a row, which in and of itself is lucky in a battleship.

OSad fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 26, 2016

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I'm considering the Prinz Eugen but not sure how it's stacking up. Having it for retraining is nice and my play style loves fast-shooting and accurate cannon fire so I can duke it out with other cruisers or take out DDs, but is it worth my money?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

This last 15K XP with the Gnevny's BB speed guns is killing me. I feel like I have to plan my turns farther in advance than I do with my Bayern.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

I'm considering the Prinz Eugen but not sure how it's stacking up. Having it for retraining is nice and my play style loves fast-shooting and accurate cannon fire so I can duke it out with other cruisers or take out DDs, but is it worth my money?

Have you played the Hipper? It's a Hipper.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

If the Scharnhorst was still on sale i'd tell you to buy that in a heartbeat over the Eugen. I thought the Hipper was a real letdown after the Konigsberg/Nurnburg/Yorck. An AP salvo can devastate cruisers, but if they manage to put any angle on your shot I feel like you get a ton of ricochets. But since I played it I believe they have improved some of the gun arcs (so you can be better angled but still get all four guns shooting). And did the recent changes to shell normalization help the German cruisers? I thought the rudder was a bit slow for dodging BB salvos, but I suppose you can trade a little concealment for faster changes in direction with that new mod.

Dragon flags rock. Getting 17k captain xp in a tier 5 game is silly.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Have you played the Hipper? It's a Hipper.

I don't have a Hipper, and my highest German CA is the Konig.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Cobbsprite posted:

I don't have a Hipper, and my highest German CA is the Konig.

I assume you mean Konigsberg, since the Konig is a battleship.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Vatek posted:

I assume you mean Konigsberg, since the Konig is a battleship.

I started playing Konigsberg back before there was a Konig, and it stuck. Yeah.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hey dark and guido, here is the final score on that game. It was a win btw.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Oh, wow. Kind of surprised.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Oh, wow. Kind of surprised.

Here is the replay if you want to see:

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/17729

I used the beach head rock there to just force the enemy team to come around to kill me. Except in doing so, they were reminded I have torps. Nearly every single ship was reminded of this. The only one that didn't was their sims that caught me on cooldown so I had to gun him down (and because of how close he was, secondaries ate him up good too, thus the cqe).

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

JuffoWup posted:

U PINK TKER
reported to wargaming enjoy ur ban

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

U PINK TKER
reported to wargaming enjoy ur ban

The game that put me there was hilarious. I was already dead and with torp tubes facing the enemy on cooldown along with my guns, I went gently caress it and fire my other tubes randomly at the map border. I was not expecting our herpderp myoko to literally effort drive into them and die. But the guy was so mad at me for ahooting my team. Not my fault you drove into torps you could see at launch a good 30s early and make a light correction to miss.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I do wish there was some way to like, super report people so I could make sure this dude I just played with who was ranting about how much he hates "riggers" would eat the ban he deserves, but as it is his changing one letter will probably protect him.

e: but it won't save him from his 39% winrate holy poo poo.

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 26, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ranbo das posted:

I do wish there was some way to like, super report people so I could make sure this dude I just played with who was ranting about how much he hates "riggers" would eat the ban he deserves, but as it is his changing one letter will probably protect him.

e: but it won't save him from his 39% winrate holy poo poo.

Did you get a replay? Send that poo poo in an email to support, see if that helps.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Been a while since I made a video, so here's a pretty basic one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_rPMOYprM

Watch where you're going, especially with DDs around!

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

xthetenth posted:

The cylindrical bits under the guns? Because yeah I could see the turret barbettes being a good target.

No I meant the belt just under the turrets since the barbette has pretty good armor protection itself but going into the training room I couldn't replicate a citadel hit. Got a lot of pens and turret incapacitations though. Who knows what RNG magic worked to get me a citadel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
My Molotov got a citadel hit on a Fuso yesterday. Any idea where it may have landed? That has never happened to me before.