Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's pretty well documented just how close Stalin came to offing Shostakovich multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Does the Tankie internet have and good takes on Ivan the Terrible Pt. II?

edit:
y'all shoudl watch it too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kMeocovu1w

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Samwise got laid.

he's the author's self-insert + he only got recognized after he literally saved the world and the raiding of the shire killing off all of the chads

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I don't think Tolkien thought of himself as a crude-talking simple son of the soil.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

he's the author's self-insert + he only got recognized after he literally saved the world and the raiding of the shire killing off all of the chads

forget that poo poo. Sam only smashed because he inherited Bag End. That’s what the shire was, an Edwardian class bound society.

Frodo was a country gentleman. Merry was from the aristocratic Brandybuck Family. Pippin was a Took, a family so blueblooded the head of the family was just “The Took.”

Sam? he was the gardener. a footman. a Batman. he was all those WWI sergeants Tolkein admired but couldn’t relate to as peers because of the class structure.

The scouring was the best thing that could have possibly happened to the shire. Wash away the ancient crimes of property and begin again in a classless utopia.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
bring back comic book chat

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Peanut President posted:

bring back comic book chat

is Crossed a metaphor for capitalism?

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

what the gently caress

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
sam is deffo not JRR's self insert

bilbo or frodo perhaps, but definitely not sam.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hobbiton is totally a post apocalyptic survivalist band, living underground, hella inbred issues (all very short and bad feet and stupid)

plus the LOTR world in the LOTR times is very much a destroyed world, they wander through smashed up historical poo poo all the time. Its fallout.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its so fallout they run into huge spiders and like monsters take over the other vaults

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
frodo even suffers from radiation poisoning and dont even get me started on how fallout gollum is

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
bag end? more like vault 69

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
shut the fuxk up dumbass

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
no u professor fanpage

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
moon runes? more like blockchain cryptography

mirthril? kevlar. its so obviously kevlar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean fallout is already basically lotr with guns

Has undead, ogres, dragons, knights and dungeons

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

This sounds like sick as hell D&D campaign.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
kevlar is not a metal like mithril you idiot

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Also, Tolkien made it clear that LOTR was actually low fantasy, like a really goofy Conan, where instead of human sorcerers and beefo hunks after Atlantis, it's a buncha hairy little people, knife-ears and some humans running around what is going to become Great Britain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda funny given all of the backstory has Middle-Earth be way more fantastical and crazy the further back you go, with the implication that the events of Lord of the Rings trilogy are basically the last gasp of magic in Middle-Earth before legend fades to myth, the fantastic races die out, leave for another place or blend into humanity, the dragons and other fantasy creatures go extinct and so on until you get the real world intervening.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Are we the orcs?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

the person who made this cannot hold consistent eye contact

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

hackbunny posted:

Are we the orcs?

Are we the baddies?

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Ron Jeremy posted:

The scouring was the best thing that could have possibly happened to the shire. Wash away the ancient crimes of property and begin again in a classless utopia.

*nods and puts another tally in the ORCS ARE GOOD area of my clipboard*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hackbunny posted:

Are we the orcs?

"We were all Orcs in the Great War"

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

The Messed Virgin Blairy

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
There was a Russian novel, a kind of alternate history of the Lord of the Rings saga. Written from the point of view of the orcs who weren’t hellish monsters but just kinda an unusual looking race. All the stories about their awful looks and savage habits were elvish or Gondorian propaganda. And Sauron and Mordor were trying to bring technology and industry to a people ruled by aristocracy and elitist magic.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

* Noone will be safe from the yiffing.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

rest in piece christopher hitchens

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mycroft Holmes posted:

is Crossed a metaphor for capitalism?

Quite obviously

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

is this bret stephens

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/HaverOfOpinions/status/986307317548404736

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Anarchists did it better: Dangerous Spaces

quote:

There is a violence that dominates. It is gay bashing. It is rape. It is the clear-cut and the vivisection lab. It is the bank and the local coffee shop. It is the patrol car and the prison. It is your job, your late rent, your rotting teeth, your wounds that won’t heal. It is the silence that maintains all of the above.

There is a violence that liberates. It is the murdered homophobe. It is the knee-capped rapist. It is the arson and the mink liberation. It is the smashed window and the expropriated food. It is the cop on fire and the riot behind bars. It is work avoidance, squatting, criminal friendship, and the total refusal of compromise. It is the chaos that can never be stopped.

The maintenance of this world depends on the internalization of the former, and the total suppression of the latter. This suppression comes in many obvious forms: arrests, raids, grand juries, informants, snitches, CCTV, cut wages, firing, conspiracy charges, solitary confinement, eviction. But the suppression of revolutionary violence requires much more than jails and police, it requires an ideological veil to mask the very existence of that violence.

How many times must dead martyrs be pulled from their graves and paraded before our eyes? How many new phrases can the leftist filth develop
in their attempts to convince us that this-or-that group is inherently peaceful, loving, passive? How many times must our experiences, our very lives, be used to silence revolt, to justify police action, to prove that violence is “privileged” and “hosed up?”

I am never peaceful. The world does violence to me, and I desire nothing
but violence toward the world. Anyone who attempts to keep me from my lust for
blood and fire will burn with the world they cling so desperately to.

Kit Walker has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Apr 17, 2018

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"Strider"? Get out of here Stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
https://twitter.com/menotv/status/986144360260653056